Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,760 members, 7,875,919 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:57 AM

MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? (3389 Views)

Opinion From Mothers Pls / How Do You Make Ur Baby Realise He/she Has Done Something Bad? / Do Babies Need Drugs Before They Start Teething? Mothers Pls Help!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by JadeWilliam(f): 9:44am On Jan 28, 2013
My daughter is 1 year yet she refused to leave our bed.Its getting my husband so so irritated cos he said I caused it by breastfeeding the baby for 1 year.Recently, he told me that he doesn't like the fact that he can't get an alone time with his wife;that it's all about our daughter now that I don't take care of him anymore.She sleeps in our bed,day&night.When I'm home,she will not agree stay with my husband's cousin staying with us whom she's very fond of.I need help cos my husband has started nagging.
Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by zayhal(f): 10:02am On Jan 28, 2013
To wean a baby from breastfeeding should be done gradually, to ease things for both mother and child. Reduce the number of times she feeds first, for example, if she feeds like 8 times a day, reduce it to like 5 times and after a couple of weeks, reduce again till you finally stop.

Your baby is already used to sleeping with you and her dad so changing that abruptly won't go down well with her. Maybe you should move her bed into your room so when she sleeps you'll put her in her own bed to give you and your hubby space. I can not leave a one year old to sleep alone in her room especially when she has not been used to such.

Alternatively, let the cousin whom she's fond of be the one to sooth her to sleep and if possible, lay with her when she wants to have her daytime naps. As time goes on she'll get more used to seeing her around at sleep times and so, feel more comfortable around her at night. But this can only be achievable if night breastfeeding has completely stopped. As long as you still feed her during the night, she will refuse to sleep with anyone except you.
Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by zayhal(f): 10:08am On Jan 28, 2013
And BTW, there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding your baby for one year and beyond, everything is right it. Your husband should commend you for giving your baby the best and you should be proud of yourself too.

1 Like

Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by damiso(f): 10:12am On Jan 28, 2013
Aww kids hen.Is she eating solids?She should be by 1.I know i had the same issue with my daughter till now i have to be there till she falls asleep.It helps starting a sleep routine ie winding down.Let her asssociate some things with bedtime.Maybe giving her a warm bath,turning off the tv,change to her pyjamas,read a book then switch off the lights.For now you can stay with her till.she drops off but maybe make it earlier evening i.e. like btw 6/8.

Its a hard process but you have to be lovingly firm.My baby is 10 months and am stricter with him but i really need the alone time with my hubby.He is teething at the mo and is drivinge up the wall.

About the food,if she has solids three times a day which she should by now she does not need the breastmilk as much.Maybe cut it down to one or two feeds a day.From two cut down to one and supplement with formula for that age(i think one yr olds can even have cow milk).From two feeds maybe morn and eve drop down to one and from then stop.

Eeya sorry and Good luck.Am guessing she is your first.Na so them be.Fussy divaskiss
Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by blank(f): 10:48am On Jan 28, 2013
I weaned him from my room by force. Initially he would wail and cry for 1 hr or more but i didnt budge. Now he can sleep in his room with my cousin although he prefers me beside him. Initially, i would let him sleep in my room and when we had slept off, i will then take him to his room. I saw that he started waking up whenever i moved him so i just moved him out and that was that.

Of course, i had stopped breastfeeding. Do not let him win cos they have a way of manipulating their parents.
Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by greatgod2012(f): 10:50am On Jan 28, 2013
It is gradual, if she is already eating solids, make sure she eats well in d evening and that will make her to sleep soundly, thereby reducing d rate at which she wakes to suckle at night.
As for me, except my first born whom i weaned at d age of 1yr and 2weeks, others are very matured b4 weaning them, i dont wean them until they embarass me in d presence of visitors and d day that happens is d day i wean them, but because they are usually older....like 1 yr,8 months, they dont usually give me any problem, na to dey eat dey go remain. Once i decided that as from a certain date, i will wean them, i follow d decision to d end........mawoju uche system, i guess.
However, each to each her own, withdraw gradually and make sure she eats well and healthy.

When my sister wants to wean her kids, she usually rob her ni....pples with bitter leaf extract or flagyl, once d baby tastes it, she withdraws her mouth, until she is made to believe that it is always bitter to suckle, with that, it is even d baby that will refuse to suckle, but that system may not work for every child.
May God help us all.
Re: MOTHERS PLS Advise:how Did U Wean Ur Baby? by ninamyers: 11:04am On Jan 28, 2013
i weaned my son when he was 10months old, and he started sleeping on his own when he was 1yr 5months. Just as u said my hubby wanted some alone time n having a baby on our bed did go dwn well, he Said 'wat's the use having a 2 bedroom when d child can't sleep in the room made for him'. So we pushed him out, first he started sleeping wif my younger bro, wen my bro got a job n left he stayed on his own, sometimes asking me to stay with him, sometimes he jus goes to his rm n sleeps. I believe the earlier one starts by letting them sleep on their own the better. Jus have the bed close to a wall and put pillows on the oda side to hold them in, n check up on them every 2- 3 hrs.

(1) (Reply)

Parents Be Warned! / 7 Tips/ Reasons To Save Your Marriage And Don't Divorce / Thinking Of Raising A Family? Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.