Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,950 members, 7,873,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:09 AM

Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? (598 Views)

Abia Speaker Deceived Us To Approve N30bn Loan —lawmakers / ‘Refusal to Approve N15.37bn Loans Behind Oshiomhole’s Tirade Against Okonjo-Iwe / 'Jonathan Refused To Approve Fourth Mainland Bridge' – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? by tomakint: 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
In a Presidential system of government under a democratic setting as being practiced in Nigeria today, the Legislature (the 109-member Senate and the 360-member House of Representatives lawmakers) are officially regarded as the most powerful but what happens when such a powerful organ of government are the ones approving salaries and allowances to themselves, then it calls for serious scrutinies and checks!

In reality, it is the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) that is constitutionally empowered to fix their salaries and not the legislators themselves! Let it also be known by all that there is no provision in the Constitution that the accounts of the National Assembly can be audited by the Auditor-General of the Federation but in a twist of fate, the same Auditor-General shall lay before the National Assembly the audited accounts of the Federation for debate by the ‘Legislooters’. No one monitors their bogus salaries and expenses but they are ‘empowered’ to monitor others!

I will like to take you on a ride on the financial worth of these ‘multi-millionaires in dollars’ who know next to nothing order than engage in series of hobbies ranging from; wild-partying (owanbe), car racing (check them out in their convoys), globe-trotting, fuji, juju, apala, yahooze dancing, frequent clubbing, cavorting with ladies of easy virtues and the likes. Most of them cannot even recite our beloved country’s National Anthem, some of them have not contributed anything to their respective constituencies, some of them don’t even know why they are in the “Hallow Chamber” yet they have the effronteries to approve salaries and allowances to themselves.

It is a stark reality that these “Federal Legislooters” with a handful of their aides and support staff took over 25 percent of the country’s recurrent expenditure. Take a look at these; a Nigerian Senator takes home $1.7 million per annum, a member of the House of Representatives takes home $1.2 million per annum, a United States Senator (who is more relevant to the economical developments of his or her country) takes home $163,125 per annum, a British Member of Parliaments earns $63,750 per year, in Australia a legislator’s annual pay is a paltry $13,125! Even Barack Obama, President of the United States salary is $400,000 per annum! Looking at these figures, just tell me what are all those ‘clowns in the Hallow Chamber’ shouting ‘point of order’ anytime the loot is not going their ways LEGISLATING?

Just to state clearly how expensive and wasteful this system of government is; the 469 federal legislators earn =N=60.4 billion a year (=N=6.2 billion in salaries and =N=54.2 billion in allowances) and by the time we extend this to the remaining legislators at the three tiers of government numbering 10,308 members (not including the governors, deputy governors, commissioners, special assistants, chairmen of local governments and their deputies), then we have a total of =N=453.3 billion, which is an average of =N=43,975,533 a year just to cater for a legislator, doing almost nothing other than the ‘hobbies’ I have listed above! If they are this wasteful and heartless while over 70% of Nigerians are living in abject poverty, why then is our system allowing them to approve salaries and allowances to themselves?

Nigerians know your ENEMIES now so that when the next but imminent OCCUPY NIGERIA or NIGERIA SPRING will occur, know where to vent your anger!
Re: Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? by clockwise(m): 12:21pm On Jan 28, 2013
It baffles me at times when i see old people go to election boot to vote for their candidate, have never voted and i dnt think i will. if they utilize d money judiciously wat would d nxt candidate campaign about. let people continue to dey vote. lol
Re: Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? by tomakint: 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
clockwise: It baffles me at times when i see old people go to election boot to vote for their candidate, have never voted and i dnt think i will. if they utilize d money judiciously wat would d nxt candidate campaign about. let people continue to dey vote. lol
Trust me a time is coming people will be 'pushed to the wall' and will revolt violently! None of these 'heartless goons' will escape it, just watch out cool
Re: Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? by tomakint: 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2017
Nigerian youths remain the problem of this great Country. They have the info but will still play the victims in the hands of these demons in power.
Re: Legislooters: Are They Supposed To Approve Their Own Salaries? by tomakint: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
Still relevant till date although penned down in 2013

(1) (Reply)

Why Bi-courtney Failed On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / President Jonathan May Spend 7 Years In Prison After Tenure!!***Prophet Marcus T / Senator Tinubu Presents N108 Million To Lagos State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.