Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,261 members, 7,943,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:58 PM

Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox (2516 Views)

Required Atf Needed For Servicing The Gearbox Of Toyota Venza 2010 Model / Pls Help: My Golf 3 Auto Gearbox Won't Select Anymore / Have You Changed Your Gearbox Before? Please Tell Me Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
Hi everyone pls i need your inputs on this matter(filler point) in my 90-91 model honda prelude engine compartment in order to know its function and any maintenance required.

Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2013
still expecting reply
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 29, 2013
That looks more like a transmission breather valve, not a filler port.

One of the reasons you need to read your owner's manual from beginning to end. Most errors with regards to automobile use and maintenance stem from ignorance. Like some folk running 60 psi in a 195/50x15 tyre, because they fail to read their Owner's Manuals.
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
Siena: That looks more like a transmission breather valve, not a filler port.

One of the reasons you need to read your owner's manual from beginning to end. Most errors with regards to automobile use and maintenance stem from ignorance. Like some folk running 60 psi in a 195/50x15 tyre, because they fail to read their Owner's Manuals.

depending on car's gearbox design some can be used for topping up

the photo is just for an example

Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 30, 2013
thanks sienna and zim drill
but i am still confused whether it is a transmission breather pipe or topping up filler port
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 30, 2013
i have downloaded the owner manual.thanks
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
pls sienna and zim drill
i have gone through the owner manual and i discovered that it is called the shift arm cover assembly
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
Farayolas: thanks sienna and zim drill
but i am still confused whether it is a transmission breather pipe or topping up filler port

Don't be confused. I don't recommend filling the gearbox via the breather port. The filler port is also where the level is checked. The vehicle has to be raised, and both sides level. Once the level is correct, the oil will begin to flow from the filler port, and that's when you put the plug in.

Filling via the breather is bad practice. You have no way of knowing if you're over-filling the gearbox. Filling via the breather, speedo drive recess (after removing the speedo drive) or via the reverse light switch aperture (after removing the reverse light switch) only makes sense, if the gearbox is completely empty. So let's say it takes 2,2 litres, you know you're putting 2,2 litres in.

For topping up, you really need to fill it via the filler port. If you over fill it via a breather port, the gearbox will hydro-lock whilst in service. This is whereby excess pressure builds up within the differential housing. If it's over-filled, the breather will not vent the excess pressure off quick enough, and if it hydro-locks, the differential case can explode.

If you tell me exactly what year your Honda Prelude is (not 1990 - 1991) and exactly what the engine size is (not just saying "4 plug"wink I can tell you exactly where the filler port is.
Re: Is This A Filler Point For The Gearbox by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 31, 2013
thanks sienna
the vehicle in question is actually a 1990 model
Engine capacity:2.0L 16v

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Want To Improve My Driving Skills / Peugeot 406! Help A Brother / I Want To Know If Toyota Elizade Nigeria Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.