Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,828 members, 7,945,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 10:42 PM

40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don (4588 Views)

Today Is World Toilets Day: UNICEF Says 100m Nigerians Lack Access To Toilets / A Quarter Of Nigerians Lack Access To Modern Communication, Says Google Report / 66 Million Nigerians Lack Access To Potable Water – WHO/UNICEF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
Forty per cent of Nigerians lack adequate access to food, in spite of the Federal Government's investment in agriculture, a don said on Friday.

Prof. Babatope Alabadan of the Agriculture Department of the Federal University of Technology, Minna, said this on Friday at the 25th inaugural lecture of the institution.

The title of the lecture was ''Housing and Food Security: Now and in the Future Lesson from the Termites''.

According to him, more than 800 million people globally, including 300 million children go to bed hungry daily due to food insecurity.

He advised the Federal Government to ensure that Nigerians had physical, economic and social access to food, if Vision 20:2020 is to be accomplished.

``The three tiers of government in the country must go beyond paying lip service to food security by ensuring that the people have physical, economic and social access to food, if Vision 20:2020 is to be accomplished.''

He blamed the food shortages in the country on inadequate storage facilities, a development which, he said, had continued to affect the country's economy and posed a threat to its national security.

Alabadan then advised the three tiers of government in the country to embark on mass construction of silos, especially for small-scale farmers, to reduce food losses and increase local supplies.

The silos, he said, would ensure food availability, accessibility, stability and utilization.

They would also improve market resilience to external shocks, reduce losses and increases supplies to local market at affordable prices.

According to the academic, food losses represent a significant cost to the economy and greatly impacts on the nation's ability to feed the world.

``Losses affect food quality and safety, economic development and the environment,'' he said
Culled from The Leadership
http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/46654/2013/02/01/40_nigerians_lack_access_food_says_don.html

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Ikengawo: 11:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
just because someone is a 'don', it doesn't mean they can't be 'insane'.
Sometimes these statistics make me wonder if i was actually in nigeria when i was there.
40%?

3 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by 401kk: 11:11pm On Feb 01, 2013
People most especially academicians tend to conjure magical stats these days and expect the public to accept them because they are "well read".
Dear Don, I don't believe your statistics, try harder next time
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
Ikengawo: just because someone is a 'don', it doesn't mean they can't be 'insane'.
Sometimes these statistics make me wonder if i was actually in nigeria when i was there.
40%?

Have you ever considered that most of Nigeria is made up of rural areas---- not the kinds of environments you might be used to seeing always. Now, try to imagine how those people live.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 01, 2013
Maybe they feed on leaves. . .sir werey

grin grin
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 02, 2013
KingOfThisnDat:

Have you ever considered that most of Nigeria is made up of rural areas---- not the kinds of environments you might be used to seeing always. Now, try to imagine how those people live.

In most of the rural area have been, food is never problem. Infact I think they eat better that people in the city cos they eat fresh and natural stuffs.
I personally believe people are just looking for recognition, strategically sourcing for more federal fud, international donor funds etc. All these info are baseless. They are just guess work.

8 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Ikengawo: 2:09am On Feb 02, 2013
KingOfThisnDat:

spent my entire stay in Nigeria was in a rural area. 40% of the people aren't eating that mean out of 2 nigerians you see 1 has no food to eat and you believe this?
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 02, 2013
inaccurate stats... just say 5%

3 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by slimming: 9:20am On Feb 02, 2013
wonder on the earth
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 02, 2013
Ikengawo:
spent my entire stay in Nigeria was in a rural area. 40% of the people aren't eating that mean out of 2 nigerians you see 1 has no food to eat and you believe this?

If there is no food,there will be famine and people will die.how do we now correlate this lack of food with the rising population ?
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by sheff(m): 9:46am On Feb 02, 2013
This so called Don is on his own!!!
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by 9icest: 9:51am On Feb 02, 2013
The Don dey harsh grin....He wanted to say the President and his fat wife eats 40% of food meant for Nigerians grin grin grin grin grin

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by anulaxad(m): 9:53am On Feb 02, 2013
MAN IF WAS GIVEN THE CHANCE TO RULE NIGERIA,I MEAN EVEN IF IT WAS FOR ONE WEEK,I WILL MAKE SUCH AN HUGE IMPACT THAT THE WHOLE WEST AFRICA FEEL THE BREATH OF FRESH AIR angry.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by oboy3(m): 10:07am On Feb 02, 2013
Tory! Tory!! TORY!!!
Once upon a Time!
Time! TIME!!
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 02, 2013
First i don't believe the stat. Nigerian goverment arent good in accuracy,when it comes to stat.

Second,federal govt are already building silos however i wouldn't consider the project massive.

How can we achieve vision 202020 when its only a federal govt vision. No guideline for state and local govts. How many state and local govts are serious with agriculture. A sector that can generate as much revenue as oil. How many people eat oil but most of our daily struggles is just to put food on the table. Why not invest massively in such.

I love the termite analogy grin
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by cecegorz(m): 10:20am On Feb 02, 2013
Well, in as much as I believe the Don went over board with his 40% stat. I still believe the central theme of his message should not be lost on us.
Massive construction of Silos for grains and other food storage facilities is germane for our future economic growth. Same way we need to have massive underground storage of refined petroleum products.
We can't keep wasting our resources and even spending the future of our kids today.
We can learn a big lesson from the Ant's philosophy.
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 02, 2013
Where is kobojunkie ? She likes the kind of story.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 02, 2013
If 40% doesn't have access then gov should build more access roads. grin
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by beylinko(m): 10:42am On Feb 02, 2013
This man made valid points, its just for the federal govt to pick the neccesary points and make use of them.
The 40% is far too much. Btw,if this man doesnt make it seem high, how do u expect it to generate neccesary interest.
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Ezyp(m): 10:54am On Feb 02, 2013
BIG LIE.....U SEE PPL DONATING 700 CARS, WIZKID AND OTHERS BUYING HOUSES WORTH MILLIONS OF NAIRA AND
WHERE U ARE WRITING 40% LACK ACCESS TO FOOD....BIG LIE BIG LIE....NO FOOD FOR LAZY MAN
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by thelastPope(m): 11:15am On Feb 02, 2013
KingOfThisnDat:

That is actually what makes the statistics false. The rural areas dont ever lack food. Nigeria has a lot of issues but access to food is not really one of them, especially in the rural areas. The don is just sensationalizing the issue.

I find it funny when people come out with statistics like these because I know they didnt do any research. They just sit at home in front of their laptops and churn out diabolical figures. Very bad!

2 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by toluene12: 11:25am On Feb 02, 2013
The don said 40% of nigerians lacked ADEQUATE access to food, lets learn to read properly.
Personally to me thats an underestimation, I will rather put it at 70%. The worst hit are children(age 1-9yrs) and the elderly. Undernutrition is a serious problem in our society and it reflects in our children's below par growth curve and delayed physical developmental milestone. Also the recurrent infectious illnesses common among infants and aged depicts poor immunity which points to poor nutrition.
Pregnant women are also victims, she has to eat more than enough both for herself and the child. In most developing countries this is a challenge. Poor nutrition is one of the cause of high maternal mortality in countries like nigeria.
Of course we all eat, at least 1ce a day but so long as food is a luxurious necessity, then undernutrition will remain a burden in Nigeria. That's what the don is saying.

3 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Ezyp(m): 11:28am On Feb 02, 2013
^POOR U
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by donofdons: 11:57am On Feb 02, 2013
[size=18pt]at least weed is cheap and in abundance.i love this country[/size]
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by thelastPope(m): 11:58am On Feb 02, 2013
toluene12: The don said 40% of nigerians lacked ADEQUATE access to food, lets learn to read properly.
Personally to me thats an underestimation, I will rather put it at 70%. The worst hit are children(age 1-9yrs) and the elderly. Undernutrition is a serious problem in our society and it reflects in our children's below par growth curve and delayed physical developmental milestone. Also the recurrent infectious illnesses common among infants and aged depicts poor immunity which points to poor nutrition.
Pregnant women are also victims, she has to eat more than enough both for herself and the child. In most developing countries this is a challenge. Poor nutrition is one of the cause of high maternal mortality in countries like nigeria.
Of course we all eat, at least 1ce a day but so long as food is a luxurious necessity, then undernutrition will remain a burden in Nigeria. That's what the don is saying.

You are as wrong as the don. There is no lack of adequate access to food. If you want to argue about the quality of food, then that is another discussion. What Nigerians lack is access to basic infrastructure not access to foods. Basic health care, pipe borne water, education, roads, etc. The number of people that lack access to food is small. Most Nigerian still live in the rural areas and in the rural areas, food is not a problem at all.

2 Likes

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by Sagamite(m): 12:08pm On Feb 02, 2013
Ikengawo:

Bruv, where is the rural area in Nigeria that you spent your entire stay?

You really don't understand the challenges in Nigeria.
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by chreldb(m): 12:09pm On Feb 02, 2013
KingOfThisnDat:

Contrary to what you think urban dwellers are more vulnerable to food unavailability. Because most villagers are engaged in subsistence farming. They farm to feed themselves first and sell any extra harvest they get. They may lack basic infrastructural amenities like good roads, hospitals and schools when compared to the urban areas, But food is never their problem. There is a more likelyhood that the 40% who lack food come from the cities. Because as a result of low income and inability to farm for themselves, they have little access to staple foods such as meat, fish, plantain, yam e.t.c from the food markets who get most their goods from the village subsistence farmers. A very good example is living in the city and working in a state ministry and earning the minimum wage of 18k monthly and at the same time having a wife/husband and four kids.. .......You have no access to farmland so you will have to buy food from the market and at the same time pay school fess, house rent, cloth yourself and provide the basic need for you and your family with your little income. There is a strong chance that you and your kids will be malnourished in such a circumstance. can you see what I mean?

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by toluene12: 12:20pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

You are as wrong as the don. There is no lack of adequate access to food. If you want to argue about the quality of food, then that is another discussion. What Nigerians lack is access to basic infrastructure not access to foods. Basic health care, pipe borne water, education, roads, etc. The number of people that lack access to food is small. Most Nigerian still live in the rural areas and in the rural areas, food is not a problem at all.
check out the word undernutrition.
Malnutrition is not all about poor food quality.
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by jmoore(m): 12:25pm On Feb 02, 2013
It takes a brain that is working below 70% to come with such statistics. Access to imported food or local food? Some people sit in the office and come up with outrageous and ridiculous estimate.
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by thelastPope(m): 12:25pm On Feb 02, 2013
toluene12:
check out the word undernutrition.
Malnutrition is not all about poor food quality.

Have you ever seen pictures from Nigeria like the one you see from Ethiopia? Nigerians in rural areas eat good food. They lack other amenities. The food in the rural areas are standard foods that an average American will pay good money to eat. Vegetables, fruits, bush meat in abundance. Where some people even lack access to foods are in the urban areas.

1 Like

Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by HIV1: 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2013
It is those kind of statistics that attract grant from foreign land.What do you think those NGO chop? cool
Re: 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don by toluene12: 1:09pm On Feb 02, 2013
thelastPope:

Have you ever seen pictures from Nigeria like the one you see from Ethiopia? Nigerians in rural areas eat good food. They lack other amenities. The food in the rural areas are standard foods that an average American will pay good money to eat. Vegetables, fruits, bush meat in abundance. Where some people even lack access to foods are in the urban areas.
i know thats the problem, we believe malnutrition is synonymous with war, somalia, dafur, refugee camps, an hunger infested child with a pathetic figure and a vulture nearby to prey on the child ones he's abandoned.
Undernutrition has grades, the one highlighted above is the rare extreme. And besides, poverty and food insecurity not war are the commonest cause undernutrition worldwide.
Now, concerning rural areas. I agree they seldom have issues with food quantity, but how about quality? Inadequacy of the latter is poor meal and such people will definitely will have problems with kwashiokor and marasmus. And that to me is inadequate access to food.
Besides those bush meat, snails and cat fish(eja odo) dont come cheap u know, they are quite expensive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imo State's Lack Of Industries Continues As Onye Imo Builds A Refinery In Lagos! / Breaking News: Buhari Refused To Sign 2016 Budget / What President Buhari’s Personal Doctor Told Me Last Night – Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.