Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,414 members, 7,901,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 02:09 AM

Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You (6197 Views)

Fashion Trends That Rocked 2014 / Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) / What Are The Current Nigerian Fashion Trends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ekaromail: 2:44am On Feb 02, 2013
If you are coming here with the hope that I will tell you what the next fashion trend is and why you should follow it, you are in the wrong place. I will give you no protocol or trend to follow but what I have to give is something much better.

Stop Letting Fashion Dictate To You;
Fashion is something that is not and never will be static. All year round, fashion takes different and sometimes unexpected turns both in colors, design, texture, products, surgery and so much more. Most of what turns up in the fashion world is actually crazy. Crazy as in not cool at all, but others, are really amazing and beautiful.

In as much as it is good to have the trendy things of the fashion world, it is also time consuming, costly and some of them are harmful in ways you cannot begin to imagine. For example, how crazy enough can it be to spend time searching for a dress both online and offline, only to discard it because someone else has it? (Time consuming) or, spending over a thousand dollar for sets of dresses all because they are in vogue(expensive). When you look back at your bank account after such expenses, you will have yourself to blame. Also, there is the part of plastic surgery (harmful). Most people who went under the knife all in the name of wanting a better body shape or face lift would do anything if given the power, to rewind the hands of time and retain their natural God given body. There are also those who never feel good about themselves all because they have seen what fashion tagged "the perfect body" posing in front of a magazine. In today’s society, most people find themselves living according to what fashion dictates.

HOW?
In today’s world, fashion dictates almost everything we do. Below is a list;

Fashion tells you how you should look in appearance.
Fashion tells you what cream to use for your skin
Fashion tells you what to eat.
Fashion tells you what medications to take in relation with weight loss
Fashion tells you to do surgery so as to get better body endowments
Fashion tells you who to date.
Fashion determines how much we spend on our wardrobe.

Funny enough, most of the things fashion tells you to do are things that could affect you negatively one way or the other, but fashion has it’s claws deep in our skin and so you find both men and women, and boys and girls buying new fashion books, magazines, DVDs and so on just to know what else fashion has to say.

But what I do believe is this. “The first step to fashion is being you.” This way you will not easily harm yourself.

Don’t be, or force yourself to be someone else. That is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. So get to work, put aside your fashion magazines, books, DVDs and fashion websites, they have tossed you around long enough. Now it is time to take a good look at yourself and know what you want.

The first step to knowing what you want is to know that fashion is not only about meeting up to the every one’s social status via clothes, hair styles, skin products, shoes and so on. It is about who you are, how you want it and where you want it without compromising your looks.

I have come across people who wore a particular hair style or clothes that they designed for themselves and looked really good in it. Others out there see it, they love it and before long, they copy it. These ignorant fashion followers follow the crowd and so, they easily get lost, but you know who you are and what you want, and going for it is a very bold step in the right direction.

So below are lists of thing you can do

1. Know who you are.

2. Feel good about yourself; your body shape, size and appearance.

3. Know what outfits, styles and products go with your personality,
4. Then, go for it

Let no one make you feel bad or intimidated about yourself or your looks. Every one of us is special and will always be special in our own ways.

Cheers!

http://jadesbulletin..com/2013/02/fashion-trends-fashion-is-good-but-stop.html

10 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by cigaricon(m): 11:27am On Feb 02, 2013
Nice write up. At least ur kind gives me hope that sane people still exist.
It realy baffles me to know that some people do things just because other people do them; to 'belong' that's what they call it but they fail to understand that what works for James don't work for John all the time.
imagine a vere dark skined girl rocking a blonde wig, Jeez, what are u, nuts?
If every body does a paticular thing, then it becomes useless and this mekes me wonder why some girls still clamour for brazillian hair. I'm not saying wearing wig is bad but atleast go for th one that fits you.
For example, I don't wear chain watches even if it is made of pure gold, I go for leather and rubber watches, why? Because I've got slender wrists and I believe chain watches look great on pudgy of fat duded but mind u, that's what I think.
So buddies, go for what looks good on you, what fits and be YOU always

5 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ekaromail: 12:17pm On Feb 02, 2013
@Cigar Icon, THANKS. Am glad we're in d same boat and I believe there are others in it with us. Never underestimate d power in being you.

1 Like

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by OmidanOjuloge: 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
Nice topic,felt much beta reading dis konwing someone feels d same way I do but unfortunately a whole number of people think differently, we live in a crazy society. I hope people read this nd learn to feel beta bout themselves, accept ur self d way u are and b ur self, fashion shldnt b a do or die affair, fine its gud to av d latest things but don't go outta ur way for them. Material things fade away quick so don't stress to much over it.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by momodub: 10:58am On Feb 13, 2013
ok now nice one bro
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by slimming: 11:00am On Feb 13, 2013
it has ruin some people life.

1 Like

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by iamswizz(m): 11:05am On Feb 13, 2013
ok...
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by koolJ1(f): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2013
I wonder when people will discard 'trendy stuff' and the things 'in vogue' and go for Classy wears. Fashion isn't so much the 'what' as it is the 'who'. I lol when I see girls who fixed artificial lashes fresh from sleep. Silly hare-brained,blackberry-waving,pinging-only girls.
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by nikkypearl(f): 11:10am On Feb 13, 2013
Nice one!
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by devour129: 11:14am On Feb 13, 2013
thumbs up to the op ! i love to stand out and not blend in.i stand in the sense that my skin is not bleached,i don't carve and shape mi eye brow to look like a scared rat,i don't wear all them crazy weaves and i wont be caught dead wearing clothes too short or too tight.some people might call me jr girl but i radiate so much beauty and confidence that anywhere i go,people most look at me.if you have confidence in yourself ,you will shine like a star you are.don't live above your means people you will live long

2 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by noblejayz(m): 11:15am On Feb 13, 2013
wat a 9yc write up. I sometimes wonder what is wrong with our present generation? Where is our cultural heritage? Many of us have sacrificed our morality on the alter of fashion. These female folks in particular, are not mindful of what God thinks about their dressing, their concern is being trendy,classy and flashy. We need re-orientation. Nice job
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by esther4real(f): 11:24am On Feb 13, 2013
I love dis, thumb up bro. smiley
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 13, 2013
Am hapi d ladies are commentin. Adher 2 d advic and stop lookin lyk monkeys on make-up
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ekaromail: 11:35am On Feb 13, 2013
Thanks all. Glad we all think alike. was actually wondering when the article would make front page
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ochukoccna: 11:58am On Feb 13, 2013
cigar icon: Nice write up. At least ur kind gives me hope that sane people still exist.
CLASSIC! kiss kiss kiss
Yet do know, that you lost over 97% of Nairaland females with the above punch line cool cool
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by yuzedo: 11:59am On Feb 13, 2013
Against Convention! cool
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by eimuhb(f): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2013
Wonderful write-up. #hi5

When it comes to trends/fashion in vogue, I choose the ones I like and discard the rest. I believe in moderation in everything I do.

I wonder why a girl will fix 22 or 24 inches human hair, let it down to flaunt and end up sweating like someone that just finished a race cheesy tongue.

I'm not against human hair grin but u should keep the length moderate especially if you don't have a car yet.

and fixing of fake lashes, dats a topic for another day.
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by charliekay: 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
Jst love ur post..a lot of pple have lost self esteem tryn to b who dey r nt...thumbs up...I love being me..
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 13, 2013
Inferiority complex contributes to their low self esteem; so they want to MAKE UP/MEET UP at ALL cost.

Beauty is timeless.
Yet, they make them believe,
beauty is timely.
Real beauty is simplicity,
Yet, they make them believe
beauty is complexity.
Simplicity is confidence.

Confidence is being true,
to yourself.
Being true to yourself,
is knowing who you are.
Knowing who you are,
is appreciating who you are.

Appreciating who you are,
is to embrace your potential.
to embrace your potential,
makes you a phenomenal woman.

Being a phenomenal woman,
is what makes you worth
a while.

To worth a while comes
from being lovingly expressive.
Being lovingly expressive radiates
in your thoughts, smiles,intellect
laughs,humility, interests,
manner of approach etc.

And that is what makes you
genuine and timelessly beautiful cool cool.

5 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by Candybob(m): 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2013
The best fashion style was, is, and will always be 'simple and classy'!
Its good to experiment with styles but when it becomes an obsession, then some thing is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by crackhaus: 12:33pm On Feb 13, 2013
devour129: thumbs up to the op ! i love to stand out and not blend in.[/b]i stand in the sense that my skin is not bleached,i don't carve and shape mi eye brow to look like a scared rat,i don't wear all them crazy weaves and i wont be caught dead wearing clothes too short or too tight.some people might call me jr girl but [b]i radiate so much beauty and confidence that anywhere i go,people most look at me.if you have confidence in yourself ,you will shine like a star you are.don't live above your means people you will live long
there's a word that describes the emboldened text love, its called NARCISSISM

3 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
Good write up,this is directed to our lady,where they are carried away mostly by emphemeral things. Imagine a girl always changing blackberry like clothes,and also engage unnecessarily competition with one another. When such resources,and energy could have been directed to something more productive.
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by devour129: 12:43pm On Feb 13, 2013
crackhaus:
there's a word that describes the emboldened text love, its called NARCISSISM
call it what you like honey ! the key is love yourself,be good and fear God/allah and love ur neighbor as yourself.that's key to life.there's a word that describes the emboldened text honey,its "you are welcome" !
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by timbros(m): 12:56pm On Feb 13, 2013
Hmmmm 100% of the comments here agree with the OP, making me wonder, who are the culprits?

No be to come dey form decent guy/girl here but the most important thing na who you be for real life....

Btw, superb write up OP.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by LemonBoy1: 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2013
its "you are welcome" ![/quote][b][/b]

swi hrt, i think d quoted txt is nt a word, its a "sentence"
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by devour129: 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
LemonBoy1: its "you are welcome" ![b][/b]

swi hrt, i think d quoted txt is nt a word, its a "sentence"
READ UP ! JUST USED EXACTLY THE SAME WORDS THE OTHER PERSON USED.ITS NOT AN ENGLISH CONTEST,JUST GIVING BACK WHAT WAS GIVEN TO ME SO EASE UP
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ObiomaA: 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2013
Very soon the new trend will be succkin ma dick
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by cronsberg: 2:40pm On Feb 13, 2013
Mtscheeww, so what if the person genuinely likes "latest fashion" should he/her then inconvineince themselfs. Different people like different things you know. I think the Poster is most likely a fat ugly girl who looks like a bloated cat in a 'trendy', 'tight' outfit. Hence she condemns those outfits and discourage anyone from wearing them. My advice is just like the Op said, Don't let anyone dictate to you what to wear. If the latest trends is your thing, then go for it. If you dig the rock//goth look, go for it, if the classic look does it for you, have at it hose. Whatever makes you happy.
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by ONESS: 2:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
I WEAR WHAT I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH AND IT IS AWAY FROM THE SO CALLED FASHION OF TODAY THAT IS DEVILISH AND SEDUCTIVE.
I PRAY THAT EVERY BODY BOTH YOUNG AND OLD WILL COME TO LEARN THAT THE TRENDING FASHION IS A GATEWAY TO SELF DESTRUCTION. SIMPLE

1 Like

Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by LemonBoy1: 6:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
devour129: READ UP ! JUST USED EXACTLY THE SAME WORDS THE OTHER PERSON USED.ITS NOT AN ENGLISH CONTEST,JUST GIVING BACK WHAT WAS GIVEN TO ME SO EASE UP

lol, js a lil prank thou
Re: Stop Letting Fashion Trends Dictate To You by marianazme(f): 7:20pm On Feb 13, 2013
Op tell that to UNILAG babes. :DNo offence

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Fashionable Woman Wears Clothes. The Clothes Don't Wear Her. / Pls People What Are Some Good Hairstyles For Work? / Braided Hairstyle 2022 : Pretty, Cute Female Children Hairstyles Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.