Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,529 members, 7,881,794 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:23 AM

Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm (1179 Views)

Re: New National Curriculum: No Merger Of Crs And Irs / Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola / List Of Schools & Their 2012/2013 UTME Cut-off Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm by Adurangba(f): 8:19am On Feb 02, 2013
http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/4379-students-nut-protest-merger-of-schools-in-osun-govt-appeals-for-calm

PROTESTS rocked Osogbo, the Osun State capital, on Friday, following the decision of the state government to merge some old secondary schools.

While students took to the streets in protest against the policy, the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) in the state described the decision as inimical to the future of students, especially final year students whose examination centres are to be demolished.

The students numbering over 3,000 demonstrated against the merging of post-primary schools, bearing placards urging the governor to reverse the decision in the interest of peace and education in the state.

The protest partially paralysed socio-economic activities in the city.

At Osogbo, students of Fakunle Comprehensive High School (FCHS), who participated in the protest, marched to the Governor’s Office at Abere, where they condemned the government’s decision to turn their school premises into a motor park.

Sources informed Saturday Tribune that the senior students of FCHS, founded in 1965, have been merged with Osogbo Grammar Schoool, while the junior students were moved to different schools, namely, St. Francis School, Isale Aro; African Church School and Christ African Church Grammar School, in Osogbo.

One of the students, who pleaded anonymity, told Saturday Tribune that, “It is disheartening to hear that our school will now be used as a motor park. We are concerned about our dear school, which is about to be scrapped by the Osun State government and the difficulties students will be facing in getting to their new schools.

“We are protesting so that the governor can desist from going ahead with the merger policy. We are not happy because our school is a household name in the state.”

Addressing the protesters, the deputy governor, who is also the state Commissioner for Education, Mrs Titilayo Laoye-Tomori, appealed to the students to go back to their schools, assuring that the government would look into their plight.

She also cautioned them against destroying public property or engaging in acts capable of breaching the peace of the state.

The state government, on Thursday, announced that no fewer than 3,000 public school structures had been demolished, while some secondary schools would be merged.

Also, an interdenominational Christian group, the Gospel Pushers’ Association (GPA), kicked against the ongoing merger of public schools by the state government.

GPA, in a communiqué issued after its meeting on Friday in Osogbo, condemned the new education policy of Governor Aregbesola.

Apart from merging the schools, GPA explained that over 50 Christian schools across the state had been earmarked for demolition and conversion for other uses such as motor parks, relaxation centres and residential buildings.

In the communiqué, signed by Reverend Theophilus Ayodeji (Chairman), Reverend Michael Adebomi (Secretary), Reverend Walter Aworanti (PRO) and Pastor I.O Adedeji (Presiding Elder), the group regretted that rather than strengthening the existing education system, the state government was, by its new move, destabilising the school structures.

Besides, GPA expressed “surprise that a hidden inscription “Ella” was discovered in the new school uniforms distributed by Governor Aregbesola to all pupils in both primary and secondary schools in the state,” urging the government to explain what “Ella” means.

“Our demand is that the legacies of our fathers should not be destroyed at the altar of self aggrandisement or political jingoism. Those schools marked for demolition were built with the blood and sweats of our forefathers and Christian missionaries that brought formal education to our land.

“We will by all means resist within the ambit of the law all attempts to mortgage the future of this state and Christianity in general,” GPA stated.

Also, the state chapter of NUT has described the government’s move as ill-timed and capable of rubbishing the state’s educational sector

Similarly, Fakunle Comprehensive High School (FCHS) old students association, Osogbo, condemned the development, saying that such policy would bring about hardship for pupils of the school and also erase the identity of the school, which was founded in 1965.

Reacting to the merger in a telephone interview with Saturday Tribune, on Thursday, the NUT chairman in the state, Mr Saka Adesiyan, said, “This policy of the government is ill-timed and it could cause a lot of dislocation and hardship for the students.”

Expressing their reservations about the merger policy, the Fakunle Comprehensive High School old students association, in a press statement signed by its spokesman, Mr Suru Adeniyi, said, “It is disheartening to note that FCHS will now be used for a motor park. We condemn in strong terms this action of the state government in merging students of our school with three different schools.

“The impending hardship this new development would bring on the students and parents cannot be overemphasised.”
Re: Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm by Fadelex(m): 9:32am On Feb 02, 2013
This is absolute madness, i've been suspecting a long time ago dat dis Ogbeni Aregbesola is mentally derailed and now i've confirmed it.... Wen i grow old, wich skl will i be telling my children dat i attended?? My brother is a record holder in Fakunle(1996 best waec result).... Ogbeni shld jst wait for me to come bck... Even goodluck tried to change unilag's name bt he failed... Dis is nt gonna succeed

1 Like

Re: Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm by mayorall(m): 1:00am On Feb 03, 2013
Fadelex: This is absolute madness, i've been suspecting a long time ago dat dis Ogbeni Aregbesola is mentally derailed and now i've confirmed it.... Wen i grow old, wich skl will i be telling my children dat i attended?? My brother is a record holder in Fakunle(1996 best waec result).... Ogbeni shld jst wait for me to come bck... Even goodluck tried to change unilag's name bt he failed... Dis is nt gonna succeed

Boss hope you've travelled out of Osun state before and see how lagos state built both primary and secondary schools compared to olden days,rough and rusted schools in Osun...Everyone were happy when the formal Governor of the state was deceiving people with two class-rooms he built in schools...check back those buildings now it had been occupied by Goat and Sheeps in the school areas....Ogbeni is trying to make things good not spoilage...forget about histories or self glories what we actualy want is quality education not the rough way Osun had been running its Education system....more than 80% of this state students can't speak fluent English cos they lack proper upbringing basically from their primary or secondary schools.......boss jes seat and watch u wl c da benefit...*obey ya signature*OSUN ADARA O
Re: Students, NUT Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun, Govt Appeals For Calm by EazyJ(f): 5:37am On Feb 14, 2013
Is merging of schools nd demolishing of old ones d only way 2 improve d quality of education?D protest was a nyc move by d students nd oda union odawise d government wont rescind deir decision.

(1) (Reply)

UI POST UTME Results Is Out! / 30 Pupils From Choma Secondary Boarding School Fall Pregnant In One Term / ASUU Meeting To Call Of Strike Is Postponed To January 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.