Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,651 members, 7,951,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 10:07 PM

FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate (7097 Views)

FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide / Strange Aircraft Responsible For Building Collapse-TB Joshua / FG To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge – BPE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Nobody: 4:12am On Feb 04, 2013
Managing Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr. George Uriesi, has said the Federal Government did not intend to release money to the airlines in the next intervention fund but to use the money to acquire new aircraft from aircraft manufacturers.

Speaking with journalists in Lagos on Tuesday, he said the airlines that would benefit from the intervention would only enjoy such privilege based on stringent conditions.

[b]"Federal government is not buying any number of aircraft that as it is being rumoured, government is just negotiating with aircraft manufacturers to supply brand new aircraft at globally competitive price to airlines and funds to make the purchase will be provided by the government."

Uriesi debunked the claim about the purchase of 30 aircraft but confirmed the move on negotiating with aircraft manufacturers as part of the road map designed by the Ministry of Aviation to rescue the ailing sector.

He claimed that funds to buy these aircraft would be provided on very low interest rates instead of just giving the airlines funds from the intervention funds as it has been done twice before with no commensurate improvement in the sector.

Uriesi said the interest rate would be single digit, remarking that when the airlines would be given this lifeline government would then address issue of old aircraft that are plying the Nigerian airspace.

Speaking also on the issue of national carrier, the FAAN boss denied reports that the Federal Government would be launching a new National carrier this year but however hinted that a merger of some notable airlines in the country would occur in the first quarter of the year and this merger would give birth to a national carrier that would be managed by the private sector.

"The Federal Government will not launch a new national carrier but it will help some new companies access funding to build a new national carrier" Uriesi also said.

He said that a couple of airlines would come together by March 2013 to emerge as the national carrier, adding that the conditions that would enhance these developments were currently being put together

Part of the stringent conditions to access the scheme would be a thorough corporate governance structure within the prospective airlines.

When asked whether any airline in the Nigerian aviation sector would be able to meet up to the stringent conditions at present, the FAAN boss claimed that the benefit of this new policy would be too good an offer, which would in turn make the airlines strive to operate with higher standards.
[/b]
source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201302011310.html
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by manny4life(m): 4:16am On Feb 04, 2013
Seems fair, at least my fears has been debunked - they're not buying the aircraft nor are they setting up national carrier. However, they are providing the financing funds directly to the manufacturers at single digit interest + national carrier is a merger of private run airlines.
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by 2bosun: 5:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
The FG has no business buying aircraft or providing funding for manufacturers to buy aircrafts. We know say all na wash lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by plainmirror(m): 5:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
Na dem business βε dat
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by onyeego(m): 5:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
Who says Goodluck Jonathan is clueless

1 Like

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Asis(m): 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2013
Kk
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by mascot87(m): 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2013
onye ego: Who says Goodluck Jonathan is clueless
Mtwwww, u says GEJ is not clueless? undecided

1 Like

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by OYINBOGOJU(m): 5:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
How about 40billion intervention funds released to Jomon Ibrahim to run Air Nigeria?

Any success story yet,I bet he diverted the funds to recapitalise his Energy Bank In Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by OYINBOGOJU(m): 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
This Government will never sieze to morgage our future.

1 Like

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
let dem ride on
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 04, 2013
Shoor! Another one? This will make it how many aircrafts purchased in a single administration? 13?
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by rico73(m): 6:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
[quote author=CFCfan]Managing Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr. George Uriesi, has said the Federal Government did not intend to release money to the airlines in the next intervention fund but to use the money to acquire new aircraft from aircraft manufacturers.

Speaking with journalists in Lagos on Tuesday, he said the airlines that would benefit from the intervention would only enjoy such privilege based on stringent conditions.

[b]"Federal government is not buying any num
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by rico73(m): 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2013
Why can't government use this fund to fix our ailing refinery or build a new one. I now belive they are clueless even with their numerous advisers. I guess it's another conduit pipe for milking the nation.

1 Like

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by ifihearam: 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
Good move
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by takedat(m): 6:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
Confused people, this is an after thought following the public uproar on their initial plans to purchase 30 aircrafts for the airline operators. We will wait for the next two years supposedly if there are buying brand new.
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by rico73(m): 6:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
ifihearam: Good move
in what way is this good move? Please explain.
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Capnd143(m): 6:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
Gej is untop of the situation!

Who ever said Gej is not trying na elaphant! And surely the eagles will eat them up

God bless Nigeria
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by pendusky(m): 6:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
Awwh! I overlooked the topic... Seems i saw something like'How to purchase airline ticket cheap' lol...
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Akshow: 6:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Rawbissssh! Them no fit use the money build New refinery? Misplaced priorities
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Maxymilliano(m): 7:01pm On Feb 04, 2013
2bosun: The FG has no business buying aircraft or providing funding for manufacturers to buy aircrafts. We know say all na wash lipsrsealed

You just indirectly tell the reading public you've never fly any of the 'flying coffin' paraded as airplanes in Nigeria presently but if this same old airplanes developed fault in the air and eventually crash and lead to loss of lives and properties, people like you will still be blaming the government for not responding appropriately to the plight of airline operators.

Na wa for una!

1 Like

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by 2bosun: 7:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
Maxymilliano:

You just indirectly tell the reading public you've never fly any of the 'flying coffin' paraded as airplanes in Nigeria presently but if this same old airplanes developed fault in the air and eventually crash and lead to loss of lives and properties, people like you will still be blaming the government for not responding appropriately to the plight of airline operators.

Na wa for una!

SMH, so is this the sort of intervention needed to prevent airline disasters??

I weep for you cry

2 Likes

Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Greatken007(m): 7:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
rico_73: Why can't government use this fund to fix our ailing refinery or build a new one. I now belive they are clueless even with their numerous advisers. I guess it's another conduit pipe for milking the nation.
i never new u ar this dull,i spit on d floor 4 u,so u want them to use d money that was budgeted for airline to overhaul our refiney.even in graveyard u cant be as briliant as GEJ
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by OmoTier1(m): 7:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Hehe, they are negotiating with Aircraft manufacturers cheesy ... Boeing order books are full and barely have time for a government ridden with Fraudsters... Airbus order books are full and before you can get slots, you have to pay 1.5 times the actual cost of aircraft.

I guess they are going after Bombardier whom I believe also have a large order book spilling over. So where are they going to source these aircrafts from?..Ahhh.. Tokunbo from the likes of Kingfisher Air wink
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Nobody: 7:23pm On Feb 04, 2013
This is the height of contradiction!
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by ifedun2: 7:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
The FG has no business buying aircraft or providing
funding for manufacturers to buy aircrafts. We know say all na wash
Exactly my point!What is the matter with this government?
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Symphony007: 7:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
What a load of bullpucky!! Why would the bloody government by planes for the aviation industry? Why is'nt common sense common? If the government wants to encourage more airlines in nigeria, reduce to the bearest minimum taxes and fees airlines pay to faan, remove the stupid levies imposed on air travellers by faan for "airport maintenance" and watch how they'll flood in. Please use that money on suffering nigerians who need it!! Hogwash government!!
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Abbott(m): 7:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
Shiooor. Intervention indeed. Like the have been intervening in electricity, road, transportation, oil and so on. Why should a FG buy planes for the aviation industry? Dolts.
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by charsobodo(m): 7:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Good initiative provided the money would be put into good use.
Re: FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Wonder when I will stop seeing empty criticisms flying around. People just criticize govt policies without offering better options. How can we say people are driven by patroitism

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Biggest Regret Of 2012 / You Can Now See Nairalanders Who LIKES Your Posts! / Loan@ Renmoney....now @ A Reduced Interest Rate..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.