Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,887 members, 7,883,111 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:25 AM

Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) (22102 Views)

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / Peculiar Problems of Toyota Camry 03 (Big Daddy)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by warrenweste(m): 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
grin.
------
From, Felele, Ibadan, I write.
-----
Felele ke lol,which side for felele n na where u dey sell car? I knw felele wella
Peace out![/color][/size][/b][/quote]
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by warrenweste(m): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
Felele ke lol,which side for felele n na where u dey sell car? I knw felele wella

US-AutoBuy:
[b]I had a similar experience with a 2003 Highlander that i bought for a client. However, the problem is only limited to the 2003 model years and have since been corrected.

If you have a problem, you can actually fix it. The one i imported was fixed by retreading the engine block (with helicoil i pressume). Its nothing to be too afraid of.

But if you yet to buy one, i will suggest you go for the 2002 or skip straight to the 2004/up model.

The 2000/2001 model with the 2.2L engine is fine for the guy asking. No need to worry.

What i think happened was that Toyota experimented with some new process that year and it was a failure as we later come to find out.

There is a reason Toyota is Number 1 worldwide. All these people bashing Toyota possibly don't live in Nigeria. Here in Nigeria, i will rather push a Toyota than drive a Ford (No pun intended Sultaan)

Cos i know that sooner or later, i will find the solution to the problem. Your Ford might spend the rest of its days on the jack stand cos no one can find whats wrong with it.

Different case in the US. This is Nigeria afterall.

From, Felele, Ibadan, I write.

Peace out!
[/b]
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by 9icetoo(m): 4:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
Joe980: A video link for who cares to...
Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE stripped head bolt repair NS300L fix - YouTube
cant find the link bro. please repost.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by daveemuobo(m): 4:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

Unfortunately ,a host of other Toyota cars use that same engine..and painfully upgrading is the most proffered solution..eg for the rav4 or highlander,replace engine to the v6 one.God save us.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
dave.emuobo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

Unfortunately ,a host of other Toyota cars use that same engine..and painfully upgrading is the most proffered solution..eg for the rav4 or highlander,replace engine to the v6 one.God save us.

Hmm!

The link listed number of Toyotas that have that engine:

1. Lexus RX: 2000 - 2003 models

2. Toyota Camry: 2002 - 2009 models

3. Toyota Matrix X, XR & XRS: 2009 - 2011 models.

4. Pontiac Vibe: 2009 - 2010 models

5. Toyota Corolla XRS: 2009 - 2012 models

6. Toyota Camry Solara: 2004 - 2008 models

7. Toyota Highlander: 2001 - 2007 models.

8. Toyota Rav4: 2004 - 2008 models

9. Toyota Avensis: 2003 - 2008 models.

Like i have earlier noted, find out the engine inside the engine bay of any of these Toyota vehicles listed above, before you purchase. They all come with other engines other than the dreaded 2AZ-FE engine. If you cant identify the 2AZ-FE engine from others or how it looks like, avoid any of those models with 2.4 L engines, Unless you can live with the issues it comes with: replacing your engine or rebuilding it after a short period of ownership.

Ikenna.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
Note:

If you already own any of those car models and you are yet to experience it (if your car has done more than 150k kilometers), either the engine has been replaced or rebuilt by the previous owner(s) or its likey to visit you soon. "Its not my portion" no dey for dis one. Though, there is nothing prayer cant do. But just be ready, incase the miracle no come happen.

By the way, dont rely on odometer while buying any of those cars. Only few honest Nigerian car dealers dont roll back the odometers of cars they sale.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by sonety2k(m): 6:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
Ikenna351:

Hmm!

The link listed number of Toyotas that have that engine:

1. Lexus RX: 2000 - 2003 models

2. Toyota Camry: 2002 - 2009 models

3. Toyota Matrix X, XR & XRS: 2009 - 2011 models.

4. Pontiac Vibe: 2009 - 2010 models

5. Toyota Corolla XRS: 2009 - 2012 models

6. Toyota Camry Solara: 2004 - 2008 models

7. Toyota Highlander: 2001 - 2007 models.

8. Toyota Rav4: 2004 - 2008 models

9. Toyota Avensis: 2003 - 2008 models.

Like i have earlier noted, find out the engine inside the engine bay of any of these Toyota vehicles listed above, before you purchase. They all come with other engines other than the dreaded 2AZ-FE engine. If you cant identify the 2AZ-FE engine from others or how it looks like, avoid any of those models with 2.4 L engines, Unless you can live it replacing your engine or rebuilding it after a short period of ownership.

Ikenna.

NOTED
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by ray502(m): 11:42pm On Feb 05, 2013
@ikenna,weldone bros.I want to be very clear about this coz I drive a 2003 camry.Are you saying the camry can come with an engine other than the 2AZFE engine?if so can i identify the 2AZFE engine?sorry I m a layman here...
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by obi2012: 11:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
if your car is a 4 cylinder 2003 camry, you have the 2azfe engine...

if you have a v6, you are safe

ray502: @ikenna,weldone bros.I want to be very clear about this coz I drive a 2003 camry.Are you saying the camry can come with an engine other than the 2AZFE engine?if so how do you identify the 2AZFE engine?sorry I m a layman here...
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Mentcee(m): 4:23am On Feb 06, 2013
Ikenna351: Note:

If you already own any of those car models and you are yet to experience it (if your car has done more than 150k kilometers), either the engine has been replaced or rebuilt by the previous owner(s) or its likey to visit you soon. "Its not my portion" no dey for dis one. Though, there is nothing prayer cant do. But just be ready, incase the miracle no come happen.

By the way, dont rely on odometer while buying any of those cars. Only few honest Nigerian car dealers dont roll back the odometers of cars they sale.

Ikenna.

Ikenna, you are gifted. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Joe980: 11:38am On Feb 07, 2013
Copy and paste the words on youtube search.
9icetoo:
cant find the link bro. please repost.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
xreal: where is Sienna, pls!

Am here, 2012 model.
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 07, 2013
oweniwe: I don't know wat's wrong with toyota. Apart from the frame, almost everything else in toyota cars is made of plastic. That's why toyota interiors don't last long.

Imagine plastic inside a engine with all the heat. . . Mogbe

My 1995 camry is 8yrs old from date of importation in tokunbo spec.

Toyota Rocks.... I will still buy a toyota again. This time 2004 4runner- chief of SUV's...
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 07, 2013
Ikenna351: Lets not forget that its not only the Carmry 2002-2006 model that have that engine. Toyota Highlander 2001-2007 models too have it.

So before you buy any Toyota produced between 2001 & 2007, make sure you know the engine in that car. If its the 2AZ-FE 2.4L I4 engine, run for your dear life!

The Highlander '01 - '07 & Camry '02 -'06 models have other engines other than this 2AZ-FE.

Ikenna.

I do not disagree with you but so far, my most reliable car among Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi is still Toyota! Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by upengineer: 3:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
@all,
any known solution to this head gasket failure yet?
obi2012:
The plastic intake on the car coupled with an aluminium block and the bad headgasket material causes the bolt to break..

At my shop, we typically drill the head for a bigger bolt, double the gasket or use a metal gasket and use a bolt with stronger material... The head and the block has to be sanded because the heat causes the head and block to warp

are you doing the aforementioned remedy before or after the failure
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by globalfanz(m): 5:57pm On Oct 14, 2013
The issue with repairs in Nigeria are the right tool and how to. This problem is less risky and easy than changing timing belt, water pump etc. But our auto technitians are seing it as no go area due to lack of update on their technical ability.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by obi2012: 1:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
no solution or prevention.. just when it happens, replace with a metal head gasket, machine the head and replace the bolts (torqued down properly)

upengineer: @all,
any known solution to this head gasket failure yet?

are you doing the aforementioned remedy before or after the failure
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by upengineer: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
obi2012: no solution or prevention.. just when it happens, replace with a metal head gasket, machine the head and replace the bolts (torqued down properly)

Can this be done before the failure?
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by USAutoBuy(m): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
upengineer:

Can this be done before the failure?

just wait until it happens undecided

if its not broken.......dont fix it!

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by DECOtech(m): 3:19pm On Oct 05, 2014
Raymondenyi:
Dat means honda is a better car! So I'll go 4 it then! Honda, here I come baby!!!! ( What about camry 2.2 (big lite) is it a better car? Becos I actually had that in mind!
its d engine (2AZ-FE) in the car that is being discussed not d car

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
DECOtech:
its d engine (2AZ-FE) in the car that is being discussed not d car

And it's really not that of a big deal in the scope of things.

While it shouldn't happen but you can solve this with helical easily.

Toyotas produce world leading automobiles and sometimes even with the best intention you get a foul ball. Where they missed the game was not feting up and taking care of the customers.

I will still push a Toyota than buy a Peugeot.

"OP,
With a five year old vehicle you can't assume that it has not been severely overheated and some clown has not tried to cure a headgasket problem by cranking down on the headbolts. Do the valve covers show any signs or previous removal?"

Not every single engine had issue so I think the poster I quoted from the link has something.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by ping2ping: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2014
Plz does this problem also affect the 1AZ-FE 2.0L engines?
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by dokilolo: 6:43am On Oct 07, 2014
thanks ikenna for d info.....I followed d link nd discovered that d i4 2az-fe engines arr plagued wit d stripped head bolt issue.especially d 2003 nd 2002....even d issue has bn found in some 2004 nd 2005.edmunds even warned customers 2 specifically avoid d 4 cylinder engines. the info helped as I fled from d 4 cylinder nd went wit d v6 imz- fe engines.

nairaland rocks !!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by Ikenna351(m): 8:12am On Oct 07, 2014
dokilolo:
thanks ikenna for d info.....I followed d link nd discovered that d i4 2az-fe engines arr plagued wit d stripped head bolt issue.especially d 2003 nd 2002....even d issue has bn found in some 2004 nd 2005.edmunds even warned customers 2 specifically avoid d 4 cylinder engines. the info helped as I fled from d 4 cylinder nd went wit d v6 imz- fe engines.

nairaland rocks !!

You are welcome.

Ikenna
Re: Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) by jayuuk: 8:26am On Oct 07, 2014
Good post obi2012,please assist me with ur contact details,as you have a fix for this issue,you can mail me jay_uuk2010@yahoo.com.,i will be grateful if u respond

(1) (2) (Reply)

Know The Difference Between The 2008, 2009 And 2010 Honda Accord Models / List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.