Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,769 members, 7,889,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:07 PM

Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis (962 Views)

Mayweather Vs Pacquiao 5am Nigerian Time On Sunday- Event time and Analysis / An Interesting Analysis Of Mikel & Makelele / Euro 2008: Pictures and Videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by JOEFY: 6:22am On Mar 10, 2008
guys, lets comment here on the up and coming euro 2008, the ealier the better.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by dayokanu(m): 8:00am On Mar 10, 2008
Mannschaft all the way-
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by Olumide7(m): 2:26pm On Mar 10, 2008
Here are my Favourites: Spain,France, Holland, Switzerland & Croatia. Portugal can go out in the first round for all I care.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by JUNIT1(m): 6:02am On Mar 12, 2008
withouth eduado now, sroatia do not look like they will pose a threa, i say holland and spain., but watch out for russia and switzerland, after all they will be playing at home.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by dmenax: 4:41pm On Mar 12, 2008
You guys don't want to make me laugh!!!

Where are you putting Greece ?

Silent but hot.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by dayokanu(m): 6:37am On Mar 27, 2008
Switzerland 0 Germany 4
We can now see the contenders and the pretenders
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by JUNIT1(m): 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2008
spain all the way.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by hustler(m): 7:14pm On Mar 31, 2008
Cant see any team that can stop the Azzuri.

The only person that can stop them is their coach. Credit to him for what he has done so far bit i still have some doubtss,
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by dayokanu(m): 7:26am On Apr 01, 2008
I beleive Italy would have a slow start like they always do and given the grop they are, they might not be able to scrap through Though in the latter stages they are a difficult opponent to play.

I would still stick with Germany, Italy and probably France in that order. I am almost sure Spain and Portugal would not cause any problem they are featherweights. Holland, I beleive Van Basten is not good enough.
Then most of the Dutch players due to the love for EPL money went to England and they can now see the effect.

The fact is that when most of your players have EPL orientation they cannot play well.

Example England that play with 100% EPL players did not qualify, Nigeria with our EPL squad is one of the worst in Africa, Players like Andre Ooijer ad Wilfred Bouma that were promising defensive talents are now in the EPL and playing some gutless Chicken and Chips football

Italy won the world cup when all their players were outside EPL, Brazil won the world cup when all their players were outside EPL France won when all their key players were outside EPL. Greece won last time but their key players Troianos Dellas, Nikopolidis, Zagorakis, Charisteas, Vassilis Tsiartas was in AEK, Karagounis, Basinas were outside EPL. In 2000 Zidane whom the tournament was about was outside EPL, Ditto Euro 1996.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by hustler(m): 8:17am On Apr 01, 2008
I doubt Holland will make any impact. Neither will Portugal, Italy and France remain the strongest cuz of the quality of experienced players in their ranks.

I agree with you a 100% that EPL orientation will get u nowhere especially in world class tournaments like this. National teams that have done well recently have not had many EPL players in their teams. It's amazing to see Torres who was averaging 15 goals in a season for Athletico banging hat tricks for fun against the Derby counties of this world. This is not to say he doesnt have quality. But he will never get it that easy against competitive teams.

Against Italy the other day, he didn't have much of an impact whereas his colleague David Villa scored a stunning goal.

Do not count out the defending champions Greece to as they have retained the coach,most of the players and the same mentality of playing games. They are supercharged against the big teams.

My only fear for Italy is if Toni gets injured as they do not have a replcement for him in dat dept.Gila is off form, Ditto Lucarelli,Vieri,Inzaghi, so it might lead to a whole change of tactics for Donadoni whose system of playing Toni with DiNatale and Camo on the left and right has paid dividends.

Spain have always been underachievers, i dont see much changing cuz their problem has always been their backline. But sumtimes i feel Aragones does not get his team right, Maybe it's cuz of the depth they have. Nowadays he plays one striker which i feel is wrong.

He should be fielding Raul and Torres,with the ff 4 midfielders behind them Xavi,Iniesta,Senna and Alonso or Fabregas.Raul shld be playing as he has been terrific dis season,

I dont think the German team has enuff experience in their ranks even tho they have been together for sum time. They will need Ballack in top form. Pair Gomez and Klose in attack, midfield is Joachim's major worry, the depth in that dept doesnt seem to be enuff for me as without Ballack they could be very ordinary and they had better pick Hildebrand as goalie or else they would leakkkk

If C Ronaldo has a good showing i think he would get the player of d yr.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by JUNIT1(m): 11:10am On Apr 01, 2008
cr doesn't shine in the big game.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by bgees(m): 12:20pm On Apr 01, 2008
The germans will have a good tournament.
I think spain will shrug off d underachievers tag at d euro 2008.
Holland have great players from d midfield to d attack including d full backs.and the only potential problems is inexperience on the part of d coach and some players.
France are also strong.
Its definately goin to be an exciting tourney.
I enjoy these tournaments more than i enjoy d world cup.
Re: Euro 2008. Comments And Analysis by dayokanu(m): 6:44am On Apr 02, 2008
I don't think the German team has enough experience in their ranks even tho they have been together for sum time. They will need Ballack in top form. Pair Gomez and Klose in attack, midfield is Joachim's major worry, the depth in that dept doesnt seem to be enough for me as without Ballack they could be very ordinary and they had better pick Hildebrand as goalie or else they would leakkkk

Well I disagree with you on that.
The midfield quartet are good enough they dont have to be spectacular but they have been together for some time Schweinsteiger, Frings, Ballack and Schneider have been together for long. without 3 of this players they beat England at wembley ( Though England is not a test of strength for any team better with Sudan) I have Borowski, Hitzlsperger, Trochowski, as back ups so no worries. I dont think Hildebrand has been having a fantastic season either Lehmann would still be in goal. I am waiting for the Rene Adler, Manuel Neuer, and Michael Rensing to take over the goal.
Gomez and Klose should strike for me with Podolski and Kuranyi coming in as the need arises.

(1) (Reply)

Samuel Peters Promise To Injur Klisko. Can He Make Nigerians Proud? / Newcastle (0) Vs Chelsea (2) Saturday 4th April. / Arsenal Fan Hangs Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.