Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:36 PM

Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini (17786 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by mallorca(m): 7:07pm On Feb 06, 2013
BankoleNco: No he is Igbo and way better!

Emmanuel Emenike is from Aguleri in Anambra state
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Duduknight(m): 7:09pm On Feb 06, 2013
Rossikk: In some ways he's even better than Yekini already. He's quicker and more skillful than Yekini.

Obafemi Martins is also quicker and more skillful than Yekini; will we say that he is better than Yekini today? It takes more than one tournament to become a legend.

1 Like

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by nwadyke2001(m): 7:21pm On Feb 06, 2013
I prfer yekini thoese days
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by chucky234(m): 7:28pm On Feb 06, 2013
Itoroetti :

I believe u are joking.how many great goals did yekini scored?how many assist did he contribute to d team in general?yekini was just a player who topped 9 with little contribution to the team.yekini was not a "hustler" like emenike.when yekini doesn't score,u can't see him in d field,but on d contrary to emenike.if emenike isn't scoring ,u see him create d assist or u see him trouble d defence.pls how fantastic was d goal yekini scored in 94 world
cup?watch d 2 players b4 comparing them.tans
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Desdola(m): 7:29pm On Feb 06, 2013
Time will tell, he shouldn't be compared to great yekini so soon. But Emenike got talent and has a good fighting spirit.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Artistree: 7:32pm On Feb 06, 2013
gratiaeo: Sorry Yekini is a Yoruba
Emenike is an IGBO with tick blood! While comparing the two?
What's d correlation btw what d Op asked and what u posted?
Can't u just waka pass if u nor know wetin 2comment?
Incase u're confused, d comparison is in their career & not not their tribe, ok?
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by BankoleNco: 7:33pm On Feb 06, 2013
Duduknight:

Obafemi Martins is also quicker and more skillful than Yekini; will we say that he is better than Yekini today? It takes more than one tournament to become a legend.

Martins? Skillful? Are you serious? Martins is just one muscle headed power house. . . He wasn't the best striker, but he was powerful.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by planetuzor(m): 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2013
donpetros: dats d truth ooo, he is the hair. we are now looking for Jay Jay's hair

Where is Moses..."The New Okocha"
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 06, 2013
Top striker,but with his power play he reminds me more of Chibuzor Ehilegbu,-a striker who scored so many goals for Nigeria but has never been recognised because he never went professional.
The guile,the power play and ability to score goals out of nothing is Ehilegbu personified. What do I know? Am old school.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Duduknight(m): 7:55pm On Feb 06, 2013
BankoleNco:

Martins? Skillful? Are you serious? Martins is just one muscle headed power house. . . He wasn't the best striker, but he was powerful.

Who said anything about Martins being the best striker? You made a comment about Emenike being better because he is quicker and more skillful than Yekini and I responded that Martins is also quicker and more skillful than Yekini. The point I am trying to make which is flying over your head is that players are not judged on individual characteristics on a short term. And yes, Martins is skillful.

But based on your posts on this thread, one isn't surprised.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by JimmyBoy1: 8:02pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nope, he is more in the mould of Amokachie
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by aribisala0(m): 8:13pm On Feb 06, 2013
BankoleNco: How come Rashidi Yekini never played in a noteworthy club, or even feature in the champions league? Most players from his SE era did . . . . Anyone say LOCAL CHAMPION?

Go and bury it
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by LEXYLOV: 8:29pm On Feb 06, 2013
Those foolish igbo illiterate and nonentity guys are just looking for any opportunity to start their irrelevant tribalism wars on anything, even if the TOPIC lack anything tribal issue. emenike can still be good as yeking even more if he work harder but not now for such huge comparism, except some i.diots who lack knowledge of history wey dem just be pikin dey suck dem mama breast that time dey talk non sense here.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by hyzicbond(m): 8:51pm On Feb 06, 2013
mallorca: Emmanuel Chinenye Emenike is from Aguleri in Anambra state

i taught hes frm igboora
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by fili24: 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2013
There are lot of kids on this forum,
Imagine calling yekini a local champion
Back in the days, only few African players were playing abroad.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Hilaskee(m): 10:27pm On Feb 06, 2013
Big NO! Emmanuel Emenike is the heir of Emmanuel Amunike - Check out the name, the style of play, the face, the ethnicity, the jersey number...a whole lot! This is the comeback of Emmanuel Amunike

1 Like

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by supereagle(m): 11:04pm On Feb 06, 2013
A good replacement for Baby Man Odewinge. He can not smell Eagles shirt again.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by beatricewebb: 11:27pm On Feb 06, 2013
@poster,i think u are a big FOOL,i have not seen emenike being as glorious as osazie or martins let alone a LEGEND do you know the qualities of a legend? has emenike scored any outstanding goal better than that of sunday? A player that can not bring ball from the mildfield on his own alone an score just like sunday did an u compare him with yekini? Very soon u will compare mikel with okocha.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by pazienza(m): 12:39am On Feb 07, 2013
Nawao! Why are some people trying to mix football with tribalism, abeg the guy with a name starting with letter 'B' you better take your time. Football and tribalism doesn't mix.

1 Like

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by gfunkera(m): 2:22am On Feb 07, 2013
I love Emenike, but pls don't compare him to Yekini. Ha, Yekini could sure kick a ball, hin shot na die abeg. As my cousin used to say back then, One Yekini, One goal.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Urine: 2:46am On Feb 07, 2013
Nigerians are funny,after one tournament you are comparing him with Yekini? Don't ruin this young man's career.

1 Like

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Ogonimilitant(m): 6:24am On Feb 07, 2013
pazienza: Nawao! Why are some people trying to mix football with tribalism, abeg the guy with a name starting with letter 'B' you better take your time. Football and tribalism doesn't mix.
Thank you, I agree with you. What is killing Nigeria football is tribalism. The only time eagles had come back with trophies were when the Igbos dominated the National team.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by tolsaac: 7:04am On Feb 07, 2013
U can't just compare both yekini remains yekini why emenike remains himself. Pple said dsame tins in time of agali but d guy can't prove it. Let see with time if he can really prove it.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by SIRcumalot: 7:20am On Feb 07, 2013
donpetros: dats d truth ooo, he is the hair. we are now looking for Jay Jay's hair
lol bros,jay jay hair Dey him head na.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by naptu2: 7:37am On Feb 07, 2013
It's too early to say. About a decade ago people said Obafemi Martins was the new Yekini. He has started well, but this is just his first nations cup.

Yekini was highest goal scorer in Portugal (even though he played in a terrible team) and highest goal scorer in two Nations Cup competitions (Senegal '92 and Tunisia '94). He was highest goal scorer in both world cup and nations cup qualifiers in '93/'94. He played in two African Champions League finals and was 1993 African Footballer of the year.

It will take a few years before we can say that Emenike is a worthy heir.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by naptu2: 7:49am On Feb 07, 2013
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by naptu2: 8:12am On Feb 07, 2013
I don't know if I'll ever find a clip of this game, but I appeal to anybody that has the clip to please post it.

The year was 1988, the venue was Abidjan. I think it was the semi or quarter finals of the African Champions Cup. Africa Sports of Ivory Coast vs Iwuanyanwu of Nigeria.

I was looking forward to this game because I wanted to see who would win the duel between Africa's best striker Rashidi Yekini (Africa Sports) and one of Africa's all time greatest goalkeepers, Ghana's Edward Ansah (Iwuanyanwu).

I was not disappointed. Yekini fired a fiercesome shot. Any other keeper would have avoided it. Ansah caught it. . .but he was on the ground for the next 5 to 10 minutes.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by Abdulgaffarr: 8:27am On Feb 07, 2013
The two are incomparable one was an immortal legend while d other emenike is yet to be a star.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by DaLover(m): 8:42am On Feb 07, 2013
Too many factors to consider, times are not the same...
In yekinis time countries like Togo, Benin or Bukinafaso where being whooped regularly by super eagles, but now 9jan are scared when we hear these names, everybody level of football has improved drastically as they all have their players in europe and beyond...
Yekini may have had a much easier ride, plus he had some of the most confident midfielders behind him in the day...

Though it is still early days for Eminike sha

1 Like

Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by alajor(m): 8:58am On Feb 07, 2013
I just love emenike,he reminds me of yekini. With d way he's going I see him bcumin d gr8test striker 9ja has ever had. To think dat dis guy was playin in d south african second div abt 2 or 3 yrs ago. How lyf changes.
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by aribisala0(m): 11:13am On Feb 07, 2013
How old is he now
not just Yekini but that whole squad were exceptional. How many from this team 2013 would have have made the 94 squad to bench the likes of Okechukwu,Yekini,Oliseh,Finidi,Amunike,Amokachi,Okocha. I do not see Mikel making that squad
Re: Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini by emmalezy(m): 11:58am On Feb 07, 2013
coogar: he's not even close - yekini was a beast - on a day like this, yekini is scoring a hatrick or 4 goals and rasheed yekini did not need deflections to score free kicks - the ball waltzed into the net with the same trajectory of a laser-guided missile!

You disappointed me with ur comment, even Messi,Ronaldo and co score goals wit deflections, moreover it was only one deflection so why (s) you must have hated him so much. Guy go hug transformer ok. Bad belle... Ode

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Samuel Ighalo's 5th Birthday: Odion Ighalo Celebrates His Son At 5 / U20 AFCON: Flying Eagles Battle Mali For Final Ticket. Today 4pm / 23 Times Grand Slam Champion, Serena Williams Reaches 11th Wimbledon Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.