Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,679 members, 7,948,544 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 01:04 AM

Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist (2575 Views)

My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? / 5 Things I Notice Every Time I Argue With Theist(s) / Christians, Satanist And Atheist I Pity You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Your opinion! your right!!

You mean facts that you dont like?

Sit down and think about your bible. The Jews were riddled with slavery in biblcial times. However, the bible gives clear condemnation of lust and extramarital affairs but never condemns slavery as an evil and inhumane issue.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

You mean facts that you dont like?

Don't tell me you think your opinion about what transpires in someone's mind is factual?

Logicboy03:
Sit down and think about your bible. The Jews were riddled with slavery in biblcial times. However, the bible gives clear condemnation of lust and extramarital affairs but never condemns slavery as an evil and inhumane issue.

I have thought about sacred scriptures over time and that's why I accept it. I am not someone to accept something because another individual wants me to. Slavery of any kind is wrong and I believe firmly that those who practiced it knowing this fact are very guilty.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Don't tell me you think your opinion about what transpires in someone's mind is factual?

Anonyism. I am talking about writing and not what transpires in someone's mind. Stop twisting.

striktlymi:
I have thought about sacred scriptures over time and that's why I accept it. I am not someone to accept something because another individual wants me to. Slavery of any kind is wrong and I believe firmly that those who practiced it knowing this fact are very guilty.

What about a God who commanded it in the bible?

Leviticus 25:44 ►
"'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Anonyism. I am talking about writing and not what transpires in someone's mind. Stop twisting.

Is that your favourite word of the decade? Anyways I believe nairalanders are smart enough to know who is "twisting".

Logicboy03:
What about a God who commanded it in the bible?

Leviticus 25:44 ►
"'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

That's not part of God's commandments. Moses gave that instruction for those who are keen on having slaves. However, Jesus gave us an insight into why some of this things came about:

Matthew 19:8
8 Jesus answered, “Moses gave you permission to divorce your wives because you are so hard to teach. But it was not like that at the time of creation.

The Jews proved very difficult to teach so Moses preferred 'regulation' instead.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Is that your favourite word of the decade? Anyways I believe nairalanders are smart enough to know who is "twisting".

That's not part of God's commandments. Moses gave that instruction for those who are keen on having slaves. However, Jesus gave us an insight into why some of this things came about:

Matthew 19:8
8 Jesus answered, “Moses gave you permission to divorce your wives because you are so hard to teach. But it was not like that at the time of creation.

The Jews proved very difficult to teach so Moses preferred 'regulation' instead.

See twisting!!!

It was God talking to Moses in that Chapter! So how cant it be God's commandment?

Leviticus 25
1 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai,

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

See twisting!!!

It was God talking to Moses in that Chapter! So how cant it be God's commandment?

Leviticus 25
1 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai,

Twisting ke?

Moses teachings were always attributed to God but Jesus made us understand that not everything Moses taught were directly in line with what God intends. Some teachings were because the people of Israel were stubborn. Go through the laws of Moses and bring out one that is not attributed to God.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Twisting ke?

Moses teachings were always attributed to God but Jesus made us understand that not everything Moses taught were directly in line with what God intends. Some teachings were because the people of Israel were stubborn. Go through the laws of Moses and bring out one that is not attributed to God.

lol.....wait So Moses was a liar putting his own teachings as God's?

Slavery is good punishment for stubborn people?

How do you know which commandment is from God and which is from Moses? What truly separates one instruction from the other?

Twisting will just get you into more problems

The bible clearly says that God spoke unto Moses and now, you are saying that it isnt from God. smiley

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol.....wait So Moses was a liar putting his own teachings as God's?

That's your opinion on the matter. May be it is not clear to you but the people he gave those laws to were fully aware.

Joshua8:30-32

30 Then Joshua built on Mount Ebal an altar to the Lord, the God of Israel. 31 He made it according to the instructions that Moses, the Lord's servant, had given the Israelites, as it says in the Law of Moses: “an altar made of stones which have not been cut with iron tools.” On it they offered burnt sacrifices to the Lord, and they also presented their fellowship offerings. 32 There, with the Israelites looking on, Joshua made on the stones a copy of the Law which Moses had written.

Logicboy03:
Slavery is good punishment for stubborn people?

Your opinion again! The Israelites were already used to having slaves before the law was given by Moses. The law came about because of the treatment being meted out to 'slaves' and not because he wanted the Israelites to start having slaves. Its just making the most out of an already bad situation. The people were already stubborn to having slaves and not that slaves were made out of stubborn people.

Leveticus 25:39-46

39 If any Israelites living near you become so poor that they sell themselves to you as a slave, you shall not make them do the work of a slave. 40 They shall stay with you as hired workers and serve you until the next Year of Restoration. 41 At that time they and their children shall leave you and return to their family and to the property of their ancestors. 42 The people of Israel are the Lord's slaves, and he brought them out of Egypt; they must not be sold into slavery. 43 Do not treat them harshly, but obey your God. 44 If you need slaves, you may buy them from the nations around you. 45 You may also buy the children of the foreigners who are living among you. Such children born in your land may become your property, 46 and you may leave them as an inheritance to your children, whom they must serve as long as they live. But you must not treat any Israelites harshly.

Logicboy03:
How do you know which commandment is from God and which is from Moses? What truly separates one instruction from the other?

Apparently from the comment of Joshua this was not a problem to those who got the laws from Moses.

Logicboy03:
Twisting will just get you into more problems

What trouble?

Logicboy03:
The bible clearly says that God spoke unto Moses and now, you are saying that it isnt from God. smiley

Ever heard of the laws of Moses?

Anyways, Jesus came to set the records straight and I believe I have given what Jesus thought about some of these laws of Moses.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

That's your opinion on the matter. May be it is not clear to you but the people he gave those laws to were fully aware.

Joshua8:30-32

30 Then Joshua built on Mount Ebal an altar to the Lord, the God of Israel. 31 He made it according to the instructions that Moses, the Lord's servant, had given the Israelites, as it says in the Law of Moses: “an altar made of stones which have not been cut with iron tools.” On it they offered burnt sacrifices to the Lord, and they also presented their fellowship offerings. 32 There, with the Israelites looking on, Joshua made on the stones a copy of the Law which Moses had written.

Your opinion again! The Israelites were already used to having slaves before the law was given by Moses. The law came about because of the treatment being meted out to 'slaves' and not because he wanted the Israelites to start having slaves. Its just making the most out of an already bad situation. The people were already stubborn to having slaves and not that slaves were made out of stubborn people.

Leveticus 25:39-46

39 If any Israelites living near you become so poor that they sell themselves to you as a slave, you shall not make them do the work of a slave. 40 They shall stay with you as hired workers and serve you until the next Year of Restoration. 41 At that time they and their children shall leave you and return to their family and to the property of their ancestors. 42 The people of Israel are the Lord's slaves, and he brought them out of Egypt; they must not be sold into slavery. 43 Do not treat them harshly, but obey your God. 44 If you need slaves, you may buy them from the nations around you. 45 You may also buy the children of the foreigners who are living among you. Such children born in your land may become your property, 46 and you may leave them as an inheritance to your children, whom they must serve as long as they live. But you must not treat any Israelites harshly.

Apparently from the comment of Joshua this was not a problem to those who got the laws from Moses.

What trouble?

Ever heard of the laws of Moses?

Anyways, Jesus came to set the records straight and I believe I have given what Jesus thought about some of these laws of Moses.

Delusional.

In the 19th century, christians and secularists came together to banish slavery.

Your God did not do anything tanglible about slavery for over 4,000 years. From the bible to 19th century.

AS for your lies and twisting about Moses, the bible says that God spoke unto Moses. Either Moses and the bible are lying or you are twisting. Which one is it?

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Delusional.

I knew this word would come up somewhere in the discussion.

Logicboy03:
In the 19th century, christians and secularists came together to banish slavery.

I know about the 'attempt' to end slavery thank you!

Logicboy03:
Your God did not do anything tanglible about slavery for over 4,000 years. From the bible to 19th century.

Your opinion! Your right!!

Logicboy03:
AS for your lies and twisting about Moses, the bible says that God spoke unto Moses. Either Moses and the bible are lying or you are twisting. Which one is it?

I have already addressed this!
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 12:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:
Would you mind naming these secularists that banished slavery in the 19th century
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

I knew this word would come up somewhere in the discussion.

I know about the 'attempt' to end slavery thank you!

Your opinion! Your right!!

I have already addressed this!

Seems you are allergic to non-biblical facts?
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Seems you are allergic to non-biblical facts?

Facts again? Do you know the meaning of the word?
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 20, 2013
religion is dying out.there is no need for it anymore.we understand how things work now in nature. Bye bye bible ,christianity god cheesy
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Would you mind naming these secularists that banished slavery in the 19th century

Anony Showcasing his ignorance.

Jean Bpatiste Aublet

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 12:49pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:
Anony Showcasing his ignorance.

Jean Bpatiste Aublet

Ralph Waldo Emerson
I have never claimed to know it all so ignorance of secular abolitionists isn't something to be ashamed of.

Now could you please link me to your sources that define these men as secular abolitionists so that I too may investigate them.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:
I have never claimed to know it all so ignorance of secular abolitionists isn't something to be ashamed of.

Now could you please link me to your sources that define these men as secular abolitionists so that I too may investigate them.

Feel free to read about them on goolge. I am not your teacher.

It takes a lot of christian bias to believe that christianity abolished slavery that it embrace for thousands of years on its own
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Feel free to read about them on goolge. I am not your teacher.

It takes a lot of christian bias to believe that christianity abolished slavery that it embrace for thousands of years on its own
In that case you have done nothing other than merely drop names. I have told you before that "google it" is not a valid cop-out.

The second part of your reply is irrelevant to the demand I made of you.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mr_Anony:
In that case you have done nothing other than merely drop names. I have told you before that "google it" is not a valid cop-out.

The second part of your reply is irrelevant to the demand I made of you.

I am not responidng to your demand. is that clear?

You can feel free to live in denial. People who are ready to learn and searching for truth will do their own research.

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by cyrexx: 6:08am On Feb 21, 2013
Abolitionists or no abolitionists. This is what the unchanging yahweh himself told his chosen jews about regulating slavery.

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 7:56am On Feb 21, 2013
^^^^
cyrexx: Abolitionists or no abolitionists. This is what the unchanging yahweh himself told his chosen jews about regulating slavery.
@the atheist Olaadegbu (scratch that. You are not half the man Olaadegbu is). Isn't it interesting how you managed to skip Leviticus 27:1-2?

Let me show you.
The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels of silver.....
Leviticus 27:1-3 (NIV)

You don't believe me? Open your bible and see for yourself

Is this how far you have fallen now? Dishonestly quote-mining scriptures in order to help your atheist propaganda along? Pathethic.

You have just proven yourself to be a slimy and dishonest individual. I can't tell you just how disgusted I am at what you just did.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 7:59am On Feb 21, 2013
Logicboy03:

I am not responidng to your demand. is that clear?

You can feel free to live in denial. People who are ready to learn and searching for truth will do their own research.
Lol, I thought so.

You are equally free to parrot unfounded claims.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 21, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, I thought so.

You are equally free to parrot unfounded claims.

My claims are unfounded? So you are actually standing by your position that there were no secular abolitionists even though I gave you 2 names?

You are that lazy to research?

I hope everyone can see how delusional you are
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 9:59am On Feb 21, 2013
Logicboy03:

My claims are unfounded? So you are actually standing by your position that there were no secular abolitionists even though I gave you 2 names?

You are that lazy to research?

I hope everyone can see how delusional you are
Logicboy: Ibo and Hausa members of Boko Haram bombed the church in Abuja

Anony: Wow I didn't know that there were Ibo Boko Haramists bombing churches. Can you name these Ibo Boko Haramists.

Logicboy: Emeka Obinna and Chinedu Okeke

Anony: Wow but you've only given me Ibo names. This doesn't prove that they are Terrorists. Please tell me your sources so I can investigate them.

Logicboy: Google it.

Anony: But google is not a source.

Logicboy: You are lazy and delusional. I will not give you my sources.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 21, 2013
Anony, you use unknown people to switich the argument in your favour. You are so dubious. There is enough google info on the names I gave you.

I am going to edit your argument to show how foolish/dubious you are.

Logicboy: There are atheists who are presidents or leaders of countries that have a christian majority

Anony: Wow I didn't know that there were atheist leaders of christian countries . Can you name them

Logicboy: Jose Mujica and Julia Gillard

Anony: Wow but you've only given me names. This doesn't prove that they are atheist leaders. Please tell me your sources so I can investigate them.

1 Like

Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by chukkynwob(m): 10:52am On Feb 21, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Logicboy: Ibo and Hausa members of Boko Haram bombed the church in Abuja

Anony: Wow I didn't know that there were Ibo Boko Haramists bombing churches. Can you name these Ibo Boko Haramists.

Logicboy: Emeka Obinna and Chinedu Okeke

Anony: Wow but you've only given me Ibo names. This doesn't prove that they are Terrorists. Please tell me your sources so I can investigate them.

Lol
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 10:53am On Feb 21, 2013
Logicboy03: Anony, you use unknown people to switich the argument in your favour. You are so dubious. There is enough google info on the names I gave you.

Logicboy: There are atheists who are presidents or leaders of countries that have a christian majority

Anony: Wow I didn't know that there were atheist leaders of christian countries . Can you name them

Anony: Wow but you've only given me names. This doesn't prove that they are atheist leaders. Please tell me your sources so I can investigate them.

The point is that I am not familiar with the people you presented and that is why I have requested that you present your sources for me to scrutinize. Your assumption that I ought to magically know them with my psychic powers is simply baseless.

I really don't see why it is so hard for you to back up your claims by providing us with your sources. I am not saying that you are lying or telling the truth, I am only asking that you present your sources. The more you delay, the less credible you appear.
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 21, 2013
chukkynwob:

Lol

lol...garbage supporter smiley
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 10:59am On Feb 21, 2013
Logicboy03: Anony, you use unknown people to switich the argument in your favour. You are so dubious. There is enough google info on the names I gave you.

The same thing. I also don't know Jose Mujica and Julia Gillard. Who are all these people you keep expecting me to magically know? Sources please
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 21, 2013
Mr_Anony:
The point is that I am not familiar with the people you presented and that is why I have requested that you present your sources for me to scrutinize. Your assumption that I ought to magically know them with my psychic powers is simply baseless.

I really don't see why it is so hard for you to back up your claims by providing us with your sources. I am not saying that you are lying or telling the truth, I am only asking that you present your sources. The more you delay, the less credible you appear.

Less credible I appear? lol.....The reasonable people that are reading this would have googled the names by themselves
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 21, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Less credible I appear? lol.....The reasonable people that are reading this would have googled the names by themselves. They would have also searhedfor secular abolitionists
Re: Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 11:06am On Feb 21, 2013
Logicboy03:
lol...garbage supporter smiley
Garbage: Anything logicboy disagrees with
-The Logicboy Dictionary

Logicboy03:
Less credible I appear? lol.....The reasonable people that are reading this would have googled the names by themselves
Reasonable person: Anyone that does what logicboy thinks is reasonable.
- The Logicboy Dictionary

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The YOLO Deception / What Are Ogboni And Reformed Ogboni Fraternity And How Are They Different? / Religious Violence And Free Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.