Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,821 members, 7,972,938 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why So Much Hype About February 14th? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why So Much Hype About February 14th? (6249 Views)

February 14th.Lovers Day or Devil's day? / Must We Wait Till February 14th Before Celebrating Love? / February 14th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by SamMilla1(m): 11:16am On Feb 14, 2013
eyenCalabar: Personally, I don't like following the bandwagon. For the mere fact that more than half of the world population think Valentine celebrations worth it doesn't means that it right. I've always wondered if anyone here have paused to ask question about this over-hyped Valentine Day thing. I've never seen any thread here seeking to ask questions about Val either. Rather, everybody is thinking and suggesting to others how to make their long awaited Val Day worthwhile. Well, for me, I've heard stories that the government at the time of Father Valentine made a Decree forbidding young men to get married but rather to join the army. But Father Valentine not knowing to the government was secretly conducting marriages and charging fees too. So the government heard about this and ordered his arrest. He was immediately put behind bars and allowed to rot in jail. Today, he is celebrated as one who died for love! The question now is: If this story is true, does this man worth celebrating? Did he actually died for love or for his own self interest? Even if the story is not true, and he actually died for love, is what he did greater than what Jesus Christ did? Can't we be celebrating Jesus Christ everyday? Is Val celebration really justified?

I agreed with you until the point where you asked us to Celebrate Jesus everyday. No No... Jesus, Muhammed, budha, Confucious and all other demi gods aren't going to occupy my own mind daily. I am working on becoming a demi god too.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 14, 2013
record show that today has the highest number of people fucki..ng
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by mascot87(m): 11:20am On Feb 14, 2013
viewing this topic:Seun (m) cheesy
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 11:23am On Feb 14, 2013
Sam Milla:

I agreed with you until the point where you asked us to Celebrate Jesus everyday. No No... Jesus, Muhammed, budha, Cofucious and all other demi gods aren't going to occupy my own mind daily. I am working on becoming a demi god too.

grin grin grin
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 14, 2013
Let me check bing
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by 5alive(m): 11:38am On Feb 14, 2013
freecocoa and d rest are havin s.ex nw
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by TeenageMoney(m): 12:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
St. Valentine's Story

Let me introduce myself. My name is Valentine. I lived in Rome during the third century. That was long, long ago! At that time, Rome was ruled by an emperor named Claudius. I didn't like Emperor Claudius, and I wasn't the only one! A lot of people shared my feelings.

Claudius wanted to have a big army. He expected men to volunteer to join. Many men just did not want to fight in wars. They did not want to leave their wives and families. As you might have guessed, not many mensigned up. This made Claudius furious. So what happened? He had a crazy idea. He thought that if menwere not married, they would not mind joining the army. So Claudius decided not to allow any more marriages. Young people thought his new law was cruel. I thought it was preposterous! I certainly wasn'tgoing to support that law!

Did I mention that I was a priest? One of my favorite activities was to marry couples. Even after Emperor Claudius passed his law, I kept on performing marriage ceremonies -- secretly, of course. It was really quite exciting. Imagine a small candlelit room with only the bride and groom and myself. We would whisper the words of the ceremony, listening all the while for the steps of soldiers.

One night, we did hear footsteps. It was scary! Thank goodness the couple I was marrying escaped in time. I was caught. (Not quite as light on my feet as I used to be, I guess.) I was thrown in jail and told that my punishment was death.
I tried to stay cheerful. And do you know what? Wonderful things happened.

Many young people came to the jail to visit me. They threw flowers and notes up to my window. They wanted me to know that they, too, believed in love.

One of these young people was the daughter of the prison guard. Her father allowed her to visit me in the cell.

Sometimes we would sit and talk for hours. She helped me to keep my spirits up. She agreed that I did the right thing by ignoring the Emperor and going ahead with the secret marriages. On the day I was to die, I left my friend a little note thanking her for her friendship and loyalty. I signed it, "Love from your Valentine."

I believe that note started the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine's Day. It was written on the day I died, February 14, 269 A.D. Now, every year on this day, people remember. But most importantly, they think about love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, they remember how he tried to stand in the way of love, and they laugh -- because they know that love can't be beaten!

http://isabelperez.com/St%20ValentineStory.htm
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by omoodeogere(m): 12:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
rubbish

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 12:32pm On Feb 14, 2013
Well, I have read much emerging stories about St. Valentine and I think all this are culled from websites and each carries different/similar views. But then, I can't just figure out the justification that the world should go mad about this man. I wish I could stop this madness from affecting our future generations. It doesn't just make sense to me.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by amber222(f): 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
eyenCalabar: Personally, I don't like following the bandwagon. For the mere fact that more than half of the world population think Valentine celebrations worth it doesn't means that it right. I've always wondered if anyone here have paused to ask question about this over-hyped Valentine Day thing. I've never seen any thread here seeking to ask questions about Val either. Rather, everybody is thinking and suggesting to others how to make their long awaited Val Day worthwhile. Well, for me, I've heard stories that the government at the time of Father Valentine made a Decree forbidding young men to get married but rather to join the army. But Father Valentine not knowing to the government was secretly conducting marriages and charging fees too. So the government heard about this and ordered his arrest. He was immediately put behind bars and allowed to rot in jail. Today, he is celebrated as one who died for love! The question now is: If this story is true, does this man worth celebrating? Did he actually died for love or for his own self interest? Even if the story is not true, and he actually died for love, is what he did greater than what Jesus Christ did? Can't we be celebrating Jesus Christ everyday? Is Val celebration really justified?

You may also like:
https://www.nairaland.com/1185155/introducing-intermediary-service-businesses-nl
Buy/Sale on Nairaland without getting scammed
i tire 4 naija whn it comes 2 ds date(14 feb).i also google and i think it doesn't worth it.d roman pple actual celebrate on july 6 & 30.but naija pple emphasis so much on it.we're jt too ignorant abt d whole thing or shld i cll it STUPIDITY.imagine us celebrating somebody who is 4rm another country.how many country do celebrate us or try 2 declare a public holiday on behalf of our dead heroic?none,rather we're jt making a fool of ourselves when it comes celebrating wth other countries.very soon,pple will start celebrating OBAMA DAY
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Sike(m): 1:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
To me, Valentine day is just like every other days... Because if it's that Important, A Public would have been declared.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 1:38pm On Feb 14, 2013
Sike: To me, Valentine day is just like every other days... Because if it's that Important, A Public would have been declared.

Eventhough today was not officially declared a public holiday, it still obvious the public right now has declared today public holiday for itself.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Elebiju: 1:49pm On Feb 14, 2013
code_0: So the man sef was a catholic? And Val is celebrated even by others. The world is doomed.
ah u never see anything shebi na them dey celebrate saint valentine so tey people forget say lent start today
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Browser69(m): 2:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
@eyencalabar, I totally agreed with you.
The whole propaganda was just for the western countries to make more money, you can`t imagine how much has gone to the gift shops for various items just for the day.{Gucci,Rolex,BB,Chocolate even cars} Trust Naija now

I didn`t belief I can be part of this madness but I was suprise yesterday when my wife gave me a bill of #15500 for white and red cloths that my kids school ordered them to put on while coming to school today with gift for their friends . can you imagine? Nursery and Primary school for that matter ooo.

Now imagine the kind of mentality they are intoducing to our kids. SMDH
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by eyenCalabar(m): 2:20pm On Feb 14, 2013
Browser69: @eyencalabar, I totally agreed with you.
The whole propaganda was just for the western countries to make more money, you can`t imagine how much has gone to the gift shops for various items just for the day.{Gucci,Rolex,BB,Chocolate even cars} Trust Naija now

I didn`t belief I can be part of this madness but I was suprise yesterday when my wife gave me a bill of #15500 for white and red cloths that my kids school ordered them to put on while coming to school today with gift for their friends . can you imagine? Nursery and Primary school for that matter ooo.

Now imagine the kind of mentality they are introducing to our kids. SMDH

You've got to do something ASAP. Those people would spoil your kids for you in no time. Imagine what kids are being introduced to. We've got to stop this rubbish.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Browser69(m): 2:23pm On Feb 14, 2013
Na today we go know the true christian as lent don start today grin grin grin

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Browser69(m): 2:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
eyenCalabar:

You've got to do something ASAP. Those people would spoil your kids for you in no time. Imagine what kids are being introduced to. We've got to stop this rubbish.

No be small thing ooo, I personally drop them at school on my way to work and come and see kids in white and red like say they wan do advert for tetra capsule grin, infact the few ones I sighted in school uniform were just looking like they are not part of them, {the parents go hear complaints tire today}.

Make the school owners becareful oo, b4 this non sense go viral oo.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by bizmana: 3:59pm On Feb 14, 2013
The fact is that a lot of thing is wrong with our world. People now leave the important thing and run after shadow. Some things are not just worth our attention, but the world today know whom they serve and the underline effect of this things are far greater than what we can see or touch.

Satan and his kingdom are not relenting, they are using every medium possible to populate their kingdom and possess the soul of men. Emotion and feeling are the two most dangerous trap for the souls of men and people fall head&toe into this easily than into any other vice. Man is wired to feel and react, so satan uses a lot of things to make sure he lure man into lust.

We talk about celebrating love, but - what is love? Is what most people are into realy call love or lust? God established love but satan developed a canterfeit and package it as love. A lot of wrong and evil things would have been perpetrated arround the world today all in the name of val. What do we take God for? Someone who pat u on the back and smile at you no matter what you do? The wrath of God hangs over our world because we choose for ourselves a wrong captain in satan to sail our ship.

Jesus Christ died and reconciled us unto God with His blood and very few people appreciate and celebrate this. Know it today that a time is coming when we shall give account of everything we do here. I encourage you to choose today whom yee shall serve- for you can be the light needed in this our world so much cover with groos darkness.

this may make little or no sense to you; yes- it is because we have a great famine of truth in the land. But if you are still alive today, i congratulate you because you still have the opportunity of choosing life over death. Jesus is calling on you today- come unto Him and yee shall live. Fight for your soul.

3 Likes

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by GooseBaba: 4:39pm On Feb 14, 2013
Sam Milla:

I agreed with you until the point where you asked us to Celebrate Jesus everyday. No No... Jesus, Muhammed, budha, Confucious and all other demi gods aren't going to occupy my own mind daily. I am working on becoming a demi god too.

LMAO!!!!! Guy you don craze! Saint Sam Milla..
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by RuuDie(m): 5:08pm On Feb 14, 2013
C'mon. . .people observe all manner of days - Father's day, Mother's day, Children's day, Laughter day, World day of the sick, World animal day, World marriage, day, World toilet day, Chicken dance day, Fish amnesty day. . .what is wrong with having a day for ROMANTIC LOVE/LOVERS!!?

Yes, some people abuse it and indulge in the wrong things; but please do not spoil the fun of well-meaning, mature individuals who seek to use this day to re-affirm their undying love and devotion to their partners.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by razznaija(f): 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
RuuDie: C'mon. . .people observe all manner of days - Father's day, Mother's day, Children's day, Laughter day, World day of the sick, World animal day, World marriage, day, World toilet day, Chicken dance day, Fish amnesty day. . .what is wrong with having a day for ROMANTIC LOVE/LOVERS!!?

Yes, some people abuse it and indulge in the wrong things; but please do not spoil the fun of well-meaning, mature individuals who seek to use this day to re-affirm their undying love and devotion to their partners.

There is a problem with celebrating valentines day because, I believe that lovers should show their love to each other everyday, they shouldn't have to wait till February 14th to show love to their significant other.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by kalunomics(m): 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2013
code_0: So the man sef was a catholic? And Val is celebrated even by others. The world is doomed.
well, i think it might interest you ignorant fellow to know that by the time this happened, church was just one and only holy roman catholic church of christ. If u've ever cared to know something new or your history!
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
grin

Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by kalunomics(m): 7:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
razznaija:

There is a problem with celebrating valentines day because, I believe that lovers should show their love to each other everyday, they shouldn't have to wait till February 14th to show love to their significant other.
in other words, we should be celebrating christmas everyday? Huh? There should always be that special day for something, so as to make it interesting! It wouldn't for u to think before you post bro.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by kalunomics(m): 7:39pm On Feb 14, 2013
amber222: i tire 4 naija whn it comes 2 ds date(14 feb).i also google and i think it doesn't worth it.d roman pple actual celebrate on july 6 & 30.but naija pple emphasis so much on it.we're jt too ignorant abt d whole thing or shld i cll it STUPIDITY.imagine us celebrating somebody who is 4rm another country.how many country do celebrate us or try 2 declare a public holiday on behalf of our dead heroic?none,rather we're jt making a fool of ourselves when it comes celebrating wth other countries.very soon,pple will start celebrating OBAMA DAY
God really created o! Baba God u too much o! If no be this girl, i 4 no dey laf this hard as I dey do now. LWKMD!!
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by oliidell(m): 9:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
Let me start by saying that I'm not hot on February 14, so dat u peeeps won't get me wrong. I am noot against it either as I believe in the kind of love that exist between a man and a woman. What I don't advocate is the immoral activities perpetrated by today's youth on Val's day. I totally disagree wit eyencalabar on so many points though.
First, u don't compare Jesus wit St. Valentine. Christains pray in Jesus name everyday and 1 out of 365 days is set aside for Val.
Secondly, everyone celebrating valz day don't have intimacy in mind.
Most importantly, u r misleading people by saying that St. Valentine was making money out of d marriages he conducted. Dude get ur facts straight b4 spilling ur guts on dis forum. Educate urself by clicking d link below.

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/churchandministry/churchhistory/st_valentine_the_real_story.aspx
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by code0: 10:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
bizmana: The fact is that a lot of thing is wrong with our world. People now leave the important thing and run after shadow. Some things are not just worth our attention, but the world today know whom they serve and the underline effect of this things are far greater than what we can see or touch.

Satan and his kingdom are not relenting, they are using every medium possible to populate their kingdom and possess the soul of men. Emotion and feeling are the two most dangerous trap for the souls of men and people fall head&toe into this easily than into any other vice. Man is wired to feel and react, so satan uses a lot of things to make sure he lure man into lust.

We talk about celebrating love, but - what is love? Is what most people are into realy call love or lust? God established love but satan developed a canterfeit and package it as love. A lot of wrong and evil things would have been perpetrated arround the world today all in the name of val. What do we take God for? Someone who pat u on the back and smile at you no matter what you do? The wrath of God hangs over our world because we choose for ourselves a wrong captain in satan to sail our ship.

Jesus Christ died and reconciled us unto God with His blood and very few people appreciate and celebrate this. Know it today that a time is coming when we shall give account of everything we do here. I encourage you to choose today whom yee shall serve- for you can be the light needed in this our world so much cover with groos darkness.

this may make little or no sense to you; yes- it is because we have a great famine of truth in the land. But if you are still alive today, i congratulate you because you still have the opportunity of choosing life over death. Jesus is calling on you today- come unto Him and yee shall live. Fight for your soul.

God bless u. You may not really know what u have done.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by code0: 10:20pm On Feb 14, 2013
oliidell: Let me start by saying that I'm not hot on February 14, so dat u peeeps won't get me wrong. I am noot against it either as I believe in the kind of love that exist between a man and a woman. What I don't advocate is the immoral activities perpetrated by today's youth on Val's day. I totally disagree wit eyencalabar on so many points though.
First, u don't compare Jesus wit St. Valentine. Christains pray in Jesus name everyday and 1 out of 365 days is set aside for Val.
Secondly, everyone celebrating valz day don't have intimacy in mind.
Most importantly, u r misleading people by saying that St. Valentine was making money out of d marriages he conducted. Dude get ur facts straight b4 spilling ur guts on dis forum. Educate urself by clicking d link below.

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/churchandministry/churchhistory/st_valentine_the_real_story.aspx

Calm down bro, who actually wrote those things? Do u know the number of sites that have publish things about this same man? Besides, the guy said he may be wrong. So u can take it that he's wrong there but I tell u, another site may actually publish that he collected money. In conclusion, Val has no concrete base. It's just bulls/hit. Don't try to justify it because your gf may be reading this post. Make a change.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by iykemyke: 12:19am On Feb 15, 2013
the church look around and decided on how to stop the fettish pagan worship of the italian goddess of love( cant remember the name now) were a lot of immoralities happen. The church chose that day to celebrate what st valentine stood for to change the world mindset. Valentine didnt even die on that day. Well the world is ruled by satan so people chose the to celebrate the pagan celebration of love which is (sex) and regarding the church celebration which is true love. Mind u is only the catholic church that go to church to worship God on valentine day.
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by kennybelle: 7:16pm On Feb 15, 2013
ITbomb:
i wonder o! Following d crowd without making enquiry...ptsheeeeew
Re: Why So Much Hype About February 14th? by yoji: 11:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
Whether we like it or not, d truth is bitter but it must b told. Vals day is a pagan festival. Ancient romans always used feb 15 to celebrate the goddess of love "lupercalia" and plenty of sex was involved. Now the catholic church wit its policy of tryin to christianise pagan festivals jus created vals day in feb 14 to make d locals feel comfortable with their pagan practices but now under d guise of christianity. Vals was first observed 496 AD meanin it even the early apostles who knew jesus face to face neva celebrate it as jesus neva commanded them to. Afterall its not even in d bible. Its sad dat pple are quick to castigate catholics for their pagan concepts but those same pple bcome catholic on feb 14 jus so dat they can fc.uk. Its jus sad.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

She Said ''push Harder'' As The Three Guys Were Doing It One At A Time (pics) / Ex Porn Star Mia Khalifa Explain Wats Dating Is Like 4 Her / Guys, Would You Cry If A Lady Breaks Your Heart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.