Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:18 PM

‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary (764 Views)

See What Military Men Did To A Youth Leader In Jos- Photo / A Northerner Is Not Best To Lead This Country / A Northerner Is Angry On Northerners Beign Called Parasites. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary by pheesayor(m): 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
I read an article titled "Not every northerner is a trouble maker by someone who served in the north, article is long but below are some key points

NOT EVERY NORTHERNER IS HAUSA AND NOT EVERY NORTHERNER IS A TROUBLE MAKER!

For some of us, everyone from the North is a Hausa man or woman. I used to think that the Fulanis were a group of Hausas who rear cattle. Little did I know that they were a tribe. Most of the people from Niger State are either Nupe or Gwari and other minor tribes. I once went to somewhere in this State (Maraba Guni) where I met people who neither spoke nor understood Hausa but only Gbagi (Gwari people’s dialect). Even my friend Ogiri Joel from Nasarawa State who would be tagged a ‘Hausa man’ in the East will always tell me he is not Hause but Alago.

I later researched, heard and read about more ethnic groups in the north that I never knew. They include; Kadara, Zuru, Koro, Baruba, Gana, Dibo, Kambari, Kamuka, Pangu, Dukkkawa, Gaada, Ingwal, Amo, Langtang, Mangu and many others. Also, northerners are not trouble makers as we often think they are. There will always be trouble makers everywhere in the world. Trouble making is not an exclusive preserve of one part of the country.

I NEVER NEEDED AN ALARM CLOCK TO WAKE-UP BY 5!

During my stay in Minna, I discovered that Moslems pray 5 times daily (though from my research, there’s a sixth one by 7am-Shurooq, which is not obligatory). The prayer hours are 5am –Fajr, 12noon- Dhuhr, 4pm – Asr, 6pm –Maghrib then 7pm – Ishaa. If you can remember, I said earlier that there is a mosque less than 15m from my window; the mosque has a horn speaker, so the Fajr prayer served as my 5am alarm.

WHO’S IN CHARGE OF TAXIS?

I noticed something about the Taxi drivers: 90% of these drivers are Yorubas. Did you notice that too?

VIGILS!

I actually thought vigils were only for Christians until the last ten days of the Ramadan fast. On the day, when the horn beside my window came on, I thought it was 5am only for my clock to say otherwise! I had to run to twitter to ask my twend @trueNija (he tweets Islamic stuff on twitter) if the time for prayers has been changed from 5am to 1am. He then told me that Moslems observe vigils everyday during the last days of the Ramadan fast. Those ten days were something else for me. I cannot forget them easily.

CONCLUSION

My phone contact list can now boast of names from all over Nigeria, thanks to NYSC. I also experienced how other tribes in Nigeria pronounce my name. Most times, it can be lovely, funny and annoying too. I was once called Elekwuu O. Elekwuu.

My service year was filled with loads of memories. It was a wonderful experience I will cherish for the rest of my life and I will miss so many people too. God will continue to bless my parents, siblings and friends who never relented in prayers and support all through this time. To God be the Glory for seeing us through this journey.

source: http://www.ekekeee.com/not-every-northerner-is-a-trouble-maker-a-youth-corpers-diary-by-elekwa-ochie/
Re: ‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary by Blackteeth(m): 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
Nobody is saying every northerner is a trouble maker. But the fact is that the ones who are trouble makers are a nuisance enough to rubbish those who are not trouble makers. And besides, what are the non trouble makers doing about their trouble making brothers? Definitely nothing!!!
Re: ‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary by Akshow: 2:17pm On Feb 15, 2013
Niger state is not among tin hausa states. Go to Kano, Katsina, jigawa, sokoto, those are hausa states
Re: ‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary by Geomac: 3:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
We have about 15 ethnic groups in Niger State, there are three most prominet ethnic groups; the Nupes, the Gbagis (Gwari) and the Hausas. Others include the Kadara, Fulani, Ganagana, Dibo, Kamuku, Pangu, Ingwai, Baruba, Koro, Kambari, Dukkawa and Gade. Only in Niger State.
Re: ‘not Every Northerner Is A Trouble Maker’: A Youth Corper’s Diary by bethnals: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2013
look 'Hausa' as it is now is just an umbrella for various ethnic groups i.e fulani, kanuri, Shuwa, Hausa etc etc. Theres no 'tribe' called Hausa in Nigeria anymore. The closest is probably the Maguzawa (animists). 'Fulani' is the biggest 'ethnic group' in Northern Nigeria but they speak Hausa. smiley

Being Hausa is a bit like being Arab. For example someone from Morroco is ethnically different from someone in Iraq. But they are all 'Arabs' so to say.

(1) (Reply)

My Oga At The Top Says I Still Dey Kampe! / [VIDEO] PHCN! Power Goes Off As Jonathan Delivers Easter Message [download] / Local Government Council Or Business Venture Council?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.