Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,793 members, 7,924,552 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 04:21 PM

Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels (11275 Views)

More Explosions In Brussels As Police Shoot Terror Suspect / BREAKING: Man Arrested In Brussels 'misidentified' - And Is Not Main Suspect / Explosions At Brussels Airport And Subway Station In Belgium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Feedmemore(f): 1:18pm On Feb 19, 2013
BRUSSELS (AP) — Eight masked gunmen made a hole in a security fence at Brussels' international airport, drove onto the tarmac and snatched some $50 million worth of diamonds from the hold of a Swiss-bound plane without firing a shot, authorities said Tuesday.

The gang used two black cars in their daring raid late Monday, grabbed the cache of stones and sped off into the darkness, said Anja Bijnens, spokeswoman for the Brussels prosecutor's office.

"They tried to pass themselves off as police officers," Bijnens said. They reportedly wore outfits which resembled dark police clothing and both cars had blue lights on top, she said.

Police found one burnt-out vehicle close to the airport later Monday night and said they were still looking for clues.

The heist was estimated at some $50 million in diamonds, said Caroline De Wolf of the Antwerp World Diamond Centre.

"What we are talking about is obviously a gigantic sum," De Wolf said.

An airport spokesman said the robbers made a hole in the perimeter fence and drove up to the Swiss passenger plane, which was ready to leave. The robbers got out of the car, flashed machine guns at pilots and security transport workers before taking the loot from the hold, which was accessed from outside.

Without firing a shot they drove off through the same hole in the fence, completing the spectacular theft within barely five minutes, Bijnens said.

Airport spokesman Jan Van Der Cruijsse could not explain how the area could be so vulnerable to theft. "We abide by the most stringent rules," he said.

The Swiss flight, bound for Zurich and operated by Helvetic Airways, was canceled. Swiss, an affiliate of Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa AG, declined to comment on the heist, citing the ongoing judicial investigation.

The insurance for air transport — handled sometimes by airlines themselves or external insurance companies — is usually relatively cheap because it's considered to be the safest way of transporting small high value items, logistics experts say.

Unlike a car or a truck, an airplane cannot be waylaid by robbers once it's on its way, and it is considered to be very safe before the departure and after the plane's arrival because the aircraft is always within the confines of an airport — which are normally highly secured.

Philip Baum, an aviation security consultant in Britain, said the robbery was worrying — not because the fence was breached, but because the response did not appear to have been immediate. That, he said, raised questions as to whether alarms were ringing in the right places.

"It does seem very worrying that someone can actually have the time to drive two vehicles onto the airport, effect the robbery, and drive out without being intercepted," Baum said.

That amount of time would also allow someone to board the plane, he said.

A decade ago the Belgian city of Antwerp, the world capital of diamond-cutting, was the scene of what was probably one of the biggest diamond heists in history, when robbers took precious stones, jewels, gold and securities from the high-security vaults at Antwerp's Diamond Center, yielding loot that police in 2003 estimated to be worth about $100 million.

Antwerp's Diamond Center stands in the heart of the high-surveillance diamond district where police and dozens of cameras work around the clock, and security has been beefed up further since the spectacular 2003 robbery.

http://news.yahoo.com/multimillion-dollar-diamond-heist-brussels-105956646.html
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by White007(m): 1:42pm On Feb 19, 2013
Security: "We abide by the the most stringent rules." This type of statement makes my days.

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
Executive Armed Robber.

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
Woah shocked shocked shocked

Who has watched Takers? The movie has turned into reality.

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Troll: 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
[size=14pt] Shoot! I Thought I Made It!? angry grin
[/size]

Excuse My "Stupidity" I'm Just Expressing My "Daily Five Minutes Of Madness" As Suggested By My Psychiatrist Friend In The U.K grin tongue
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by theripper: 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
The Italian Job, sorry the Belgian Job.

3 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by huninaija(f): 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2013
shocked
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:14pm On Feb 19, 2013
Did I just smell foul play?
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by femmy2010(m): 6:14pm On Feb 19, 2013
Just like in the movies.
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 19, 2013
I hope they're on top of the matter as soon as possible. Diamond theft happens around the world, maybe it's their turn. The committees that have been setup should....

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2013
when I heard d news on tv I didn't feel anything. I've watched too many movies where thieves get away with million dollar heist and the movies portray them as good people. Oceans 11, takers, entrapment, thomas crown affair, the italian job, to mention but a few.

5 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by iamswizz(m): 6:17pm On Feb 19, 2013
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 19, 2013
Wow expect d Nollywood version of this event featuring Reharbed Hanks Anoku(Tb joshuas rehabilitatee), Gentle jack, and Emeka ike. Title yet to be figured out...

4 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by jmoore(m): 6:18pm On Feb 19, 2013
there will always be an insider.
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by seunblack(m): 6:18pm On Feb 19, 2013
Dis space is for sale grin ; ;DD

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by eazysally: 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
Sophisticated robbers....no be naija gragra
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
Blood diamond from Africa. . . .lmao

I guess the scammer got scammed .good for them !
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
Somebody arrest Jason Statham Quick!

4 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by tyson55(m): 6:23pm On Feb 19, 2013
The Italian Job!

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Boboedom: 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2013
You see that security breaches can happen any where even in the heart of Europe. Where thiS to be in Nigeria, everyone, eSpecially here will take it out poor GEJ and his family. Let us appreciate and respect what God has given to us at the moment and prepare for 2015 if we have better alternatives.

3 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nightshift(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2013
All African diamonds, perhaps being taking to Zurich(a hub for African's stolen wealth)for DRC's Kabila or the old dictator in Angola. Gangs connected to Palemo Mafia might have a hand in it. Europol agents will pin-down the culprits, it will only take some time.
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Scarpon(m): 6:30pm On Feb 19, 2013
all for common diamond that we have abundant in Africa
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by disloman(m): 6:33pm On Feb 19, 2013
What?wish i was one of.............
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by kelvin1191(m): 6:33pm On Feb 19, 2013
Hmmm! "Something in my mind..." On my way to CBN

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by TayoD1(m): 6:36pm On Feb 19, 2013
Talk about Oceans 2013!!!
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nightshift(m): 6:37pm On Feb 19, 2013
Scarpon: all for common diamond that we have abundant in Africa
Dude, diamonds are not common, a gem could fetch millions in hard currency. A well managed diamond wealth could develop a country. Go to Namibia and see how important diamonds are to a country and its people.

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 19, 2013
dvdon: Wow expect d Nollywood version of this event featuring Reharbed Hanks Anoku(Tb joshuas rehabilitatee), Gentle jack, and Emeka ike. Title yet to be figured out...

Stolen Treasure! Stolen Treasure!!

Hey! Make una come see where Hanks Anuku and eem thief friends use danfo jam airport fence sake of say dem wan thief diamonds!

Stolen Treasure!!!

(Hanks Anuku's voice): "we gonna break into the vault and steal the gems..."

Stolen Treasure!!!

(Emeka Ike's voice): "I'm giving it a thought 'cos my sister came from the village this afternoon to inform me my Father is critically ill..."

Stolen Treasure!!!

(Gentle Jack's voice): "Guys nothing dey happen! We go move the diamonds and fall any living soul wey wan stop us!!)

Stolen Treasure!!! Produced by Amaco Investments and na Ossy Affason dey market am! 123 Ebinpejo lane, Idumota, 53 Iweka Road Onitsha and 1/3 Pounds Road Aba

Stolen Treasure!!!

Grab your copy now

52 Likes

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 19, 2013
An inside job. undecided

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by brixton: 6:53pm On Feb 19, 2013
ItsModella: Woah shocked shocked shocked

Who has watched Takers? The movie has turned into reality.

Also add the italian job, the town... Jst tinkn des 3movies thru out my read
Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
Scarpon: all for common diamond that we have abundant in Africa
smh. If it so abundant, why arent u swimming in them? If diamonds were so common why do people die while hustling to acquire them?

1 Like

Re: Multimillion-dollar Diamond Heist In Brussels by yuzedo: 6:59pm On Feb 19, 2013
Watch out for the movie from Hollywood, yo! "The Belgian Job" cool cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Israel To Bomb Iran After US Elections!!! / Hurricane Florence Nears Category 5 As It Moves Towards S-W Coast Of U.S / Trump’s Border Wall Breached By Smugglers Over 3,000 Times, Records Reveal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.