Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:39 AM

Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge (18466 Views)

Julius Berger To End Flooding On Aba-Port Harcourt Road / I Will Go On Exile If I Don’t Build Second Niger Bridge Before 2015 — Jonathan / Breaking News: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 11:25am On Feb 23, 2013
Trying to be funny huh? author=mc~evans]

cheesy So you finally changed your pic after all the drama yesterday night? Hehe! I prefer the other to this one. [/quote]
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by tjskii(f): 11:27am On Feb 23, 2013
Hope they sha build d tin in my lifetime,cos since I was young and now I'm old,iv been hearing d same ol song
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by GARRIx7(m): 11:33am On Feb 23, 2013
ikwere militant: and fashola took his from adolf hitler.cahsing d jews dat is greater dan dm out of jelusy in odar to take over

Who did Fashola chase from Lagos?? Or are you a learner??
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Willgates(m): 11:50am On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: In 2017 bah? Abeg I finally downloaded a cool pic of me, view and drop ur commentcheesy

u upload frm ur phone online n download online to ur phone

btw....d pix is kul. cry
CeCe Billz: In 2017 bah? Abeg I finally downloaded a cool pic of me, view and drop ur commentcheesy

btw....d pix is kul. kiss

btw....d pix is kul. cry

btw....d pix is kul.

is d bosom rreal?
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by thelastPope(m): 11:51am On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: What is dis one saying? Tah go hide ursefl, olodo rabata

You are not ashamed. Behaving like a 5 year old toddler on a public forum SMH! So 2go is not enough for you that you want to express your yahoo boy behavoir on NL. You should grow up. You are obviously jobless. Learn a skill or go do an apprentiship with a mechanic or electrician. You aint getting younger you know?
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mcevans1(m): 11:52am On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: Trying to be funny huh? author=mc~evans]

cheesy So you finally changed your pic after all the drama yesterday night? Hehe! I prefer the other to this one.

Nah, im not trying to be funny hun. Im just airing my own point of view and if you don't mind you can send it to me for keeps. I'll appreciate that so much kiss cheesy
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 12:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
Pls learn how to spell
thelastPope:

You are not ashamed. Behaving like a 5 year old toddler on a public forum SMH! So 2go is not enough for you that you want to express your yahoo boy behavoir on NL. You should grow up. You are obviously jobless. Learn a skill or go do an apprentiship with a mechanic or electrician. You aint getting younger you know?
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by thelastPope(m): 12:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
ballabriggs: Another Onitsha river port project, I laugh in Isiekenesi. Dem just dey use my Igbo brothers play chop-I-chop.

When Obj wanted to contest in 2003, he did the ground breaking of the Onitsha-Owerri road project awarding construction to Uba's CCC. We are in 2013, 11 good years, PDP is still on that road.

Every time wey election dey reach, dem go find one project rub ororo for this mouth, meanwhile the whole of the South East remains a complete mess.

Igbo muruanya! Unu a'bana na mmiri ncha n'agba unu n'anya

Negative meaningless rants like these cannot derail what is ongoing. Your comments means absolutely nothing! What has OBJ in 2003 got to do with GEJ in 2013? Funny atempt to derail the thread. Your bitterness and bile in oozing from your post. Onitsha river port is complete and will soon be commisioned. Under GEJ, Anambra is now an oil producing state. Ebonyi is about to join. You now completed your fooolisness by saying "when election is coming". Election is 2 years away. GEJ is doing this half way into his 4 year tenure. See your fooolishness exposed for all to see? SMH!

6 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
Mstchew I don fall my hand finish! I no kw say na fool de quote me.. Anuofia
thelastPope:

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by debosky(m): 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
emmatok:

I wonder why you are ranting here.

JB won the bid to build the bridge.
They have not started building yet, probably you forgot their are thousands of FG uncompleted projects in Nigeria.

Please stop making Nigerians look foolish.

Exactly what I'd say - announcing 'preferred bidder' not even formal award yet? We need to understand what the estimated cost is, especially considering that the government is supposed to have budgeted 12 billion naira already for this.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
cheesy
mc~evans:

Nah, im not trying to be funny hun. Im just airing my own point of view and if you don't mind you can send it to me for keeps. I'll appreciate that so much kiss cheesy
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mcevans1(m): 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: cheesy

Is that a Yes? wink
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by thelastPope(m): 12:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: Pls learn how to spell

I SMH for you! Go and take GCE and try and get back to school. No one will pay you money for being on NL. Your future is at stake. If you think you can hustle and do runs and survive, I feel sorry for you because you will not be able to do that when you are 40! Believe me, life wil not be kind to you then. Grow up! You can learn a lot from some intelligent people who post here instead of going around posting crap on threads. If you want attention, go to the relationship section or entertainment section where there are many tonto dike threads and followers who will really appreciate what you post! This is politics section!
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
emmatok:

I wonder why you are ranting here.

JB won the bid to build the bridge.
They have not started building yet, probably you forgot their are thousands of FG uncompleted projects in Nigeria.

Please stop making Nigerians look foolish.
Who made you spokesperson for Nigerians? Guy, speak for yourself.

However, the fact is if you dont commence the process, you cant conclude the process. If you dont commence the procurement process, you cant sign the contract. If you dont sign the contract, you cant commence work. If you dont commence work, you cant complete the construction of the second Niger Bridge.

God willing, some of us will CELEBRATE every bold step forward towards the realisation of the second Niger bridge.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Ejiekwu1(m): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Julius Berger is †нє best contrator for such magnitude of job, going by their History
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mikey2fin: 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
Talk is Cheap!
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by takedat(m): 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
debosky:

Exactly what I'd say - announcing 'preferred bidder' not even formal award yet? We need to understand what the estimated cost is, especially considering that the government is supposed to have budgeted 12 billion naira already for this.
Was also thinking in the same direction. The 12billion is from the SURE account, meaning there is a proper budgetary allocation to the ministry for this project which the SURE account is to augment! What is the use of these monies when the concessional project is on a DFBOT model? Opaque dealings in there!
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
U just wasted how many min of ur life to type this rubbish? Get a life pls cheesy
thelastPope:

I SMH for you! Go and take GCE and try and get back to school. No one will pay you money for being on NL. Your future is at stake. If you think you can hustle and do runs and survive, I feel sorry for you because you will not be able to do that when you are 40! Believe me, life wil not be kind to you then. Grow up! You can learn a lot from some intelligent people who post here instead of going around posting crap on threads. If you want attention, go to the relationship section or entertainment section where there are many tonto dike threads and followers who will really appreciate what you post! This is politics section!

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by CeCeBillz(f): 12:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
Surewink
mc~evans:

Is that a Yes? wink
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 23, 2013
take dat: Was also thinking in the same direction. The 12billion is from the SURE account, meaning there is a proper budgetary allocation to the ministry for this project which the SURE account is to augment! What is the use of these monies when the concessional project is on a DFBOT model? Opaque dealings in there!
Though we dont usually agree on issues on this forum, I admit you'r one of the very few persons that post intelligent comments on this forum. Therefore, I'm somewhat surprised you posted the comments above.

Anyway, PPP is a partnership between govt and the private sector to provide services to the people. Depending on the model, the govt may provide land, part of the funds, tax exemption,etc as its own contribution.

In the case of the second Niger Bridge, based on the feasibility studies and other preliminary works, if the private company is to fund the project alone and recover the cost within 25yrs, the toll fees they would charge on the road would be too exorbitant. Therefore, the counterpart funding from the FG is to reduce the initial investment of the private partner and make the toll fees that'll be charged upon completion of the road affordable.

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by ballabriggs: 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
thelastPope:

Negative meaningless rants like these cannot derail what is ongoing. Your comments means absolutely nothing! What has OBJ in 2003 got to do with GEJ in 2013? Funny atempt to derail the thread. Your bitterness and bile in oozing from your post. Onitsha river port is complete and will soon be commisioned. Under GEJ, Anambra is now an oil producing state. Ebonyi is about to join. You now completed your fooolisness by saying "when election is coming". Election is 2 years away. GEJ is doing this half way into his 4 year tenure. See your fooolishness exposed for all to see? SMH!

Mr man shut up your mouth, opio like you. How many ships have berthed at Onitsha? Was it not said to be completed in 2011? We are in 2013 two years later how many ships have berthed there? Oh it is still being 'concessioned', ehn anumpam? What has OBJ got to do with GEJ in 2013? Has anything changed? Is it not the same fraudulent PDP gang that has never implemented 30% of capital projects in its budgets? Or has GEJ ever hit at least 40% in capital budget implementation? If you ask that question again then you must be the biggest he-goat no n'ama.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by taharqa: 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
the_ripper:

Shouldn't you b more concerned about the massive robbery in Delta state, u seem to be head deep in Fashola's anus dese days. U dis pseudo-Deltan. Ask the pertinent questions without exhibiting ur servile flattery for Fashola pls.
Hehehehe....*ilaughingarri* grin grin grin grin
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by mcevans1(m): 12:41pm On Feb 23, 2013
CeCe Billz: Surewink

Alright. Im waiting wink
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by GARRIx7(m): 12:42pm On Feb 23, 2013
taharqa: Hehehehe....*ilaughingarri* grin grin grin grin

Wara-hell are you laughing at??

angry
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Bluemosquito(m): 12:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
me liking ur pic like dieing. And your . . . . . . Is like hot.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by bennynaza(m): 1:10pm On Feb 23, 2013

I love quality 'chesticles' and urs certainly did enhance my love 4 dem. cool
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by Abel202: 1:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
[b][b]My people, This sounds good. But its been quite some time (in fact its been centuries as someone aptly put it here)since we started hearing about "Federal government to build second Niger Bridge". If President Goodluck Jonathan delivers on this particular project (ofcourse I think he will), then Jonathan's prediction of becoming the best president Nigeria ever hard from the most criticised one, will soon become a reality. If Jonathan brings back the rails (which he is already doing), If Jonathan takes our electricity generation and distribution to an enviable level (which I believe he is right on course), If Jonathan Makes this second Niger bridge a reality, plus the giant strides he is already making in Agriculture, Airport repairs and building new ones, New Universities and funding existing ones, Electoral reforms which are already bearing fruits etc, Then surely this much criticised Jonathan, this much maligned Jonathan, This much disrespected Jonathan will end up Becoming the best president Nigeria has actualy ever had just like the Super Eagles under his administration has ended a 19 years drought and won the last AFCON. Let us keep encouraging Him to do more. And let us also keep critisicing him constructively to keep him on his toes. He certainly needs to do a lot more in the area of fighting corruption and National security. I SEE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, WHAT DO YOU SEE?[/b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by takedat(m): 1:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Though we dont usually agree on issues on this forum, I admit you'r one of the very few persons that post intelligent comments on this forum. Therefore, I'm somewhat surprised you posted the comments above.

Anyway, PPP is a partnership between govt and the private sector to provide services to the people. Depending on the model, the govt may provide land, part of the funds, tax exemption,etc as its own contribution.

In the case of the second Niger Bridge, based on the feasibility studies and other preliminary works, if the private company is to fund the project alone and recover the cost within 25yrs, the toll fees they would charge on the road would be too exorbitant. Therefore, the counterpart funding from the FG is to reduce the initial investment of the private partner and make the toll fees that'll be charged upon completion of the road affordable.
The model that was approved is a DFBOT model, I prolly did not read the counterpart funding from government part before posting. From what I read through another source, Government's contribution is N30billion from the SURE-P fund. How much is the total cost of the project cos N30billion is a heavy investment in a project that will cost say a 100billion. If government can inject such an amount into a concessional project, then such as arrangement is suspect!

m.allafrica.com/stories/201302230155.html/
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
Hugo7: In nigeria seeing is believing.....until i see the structures stand upright to me this is rumor...ask obj how many time he approved money 4 niger bridge during his tenur.

^^^Well i can't say i blame you; they're still giving us plenty turenchi on the Onitsha river port aren't they? It takes them forever to move just one step forward, and you would have thought that with this announcement, construction is about to start; but for whia!.......they've still got more paperwork and feasibility studies to carry out......very annoying!

On the bolded: people may want to call you doubting Thomas, but that's their bizness; i'd posit that 'seeing structures stand upright' isn't enough proof, as it might be a figment of your imagination; one may have to go up to the bridge and give it a good kick......if it's still standing afterwards, then you can shake your head in approval and say 'kudos GEJ'.
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by thelastPope(m): 1:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
ballabriggs:

Mr man shut up your mouth, opio like you. How many ships have berthed at Onitsha? Was it not said to be completed in 2011? We are in 2013 two years later how many ships have berthed there? Oh it is still being 'concessioned', ehn anumpam? What has OBJ got to do with GEJ in 2013? Has anything changed? Is it not the same fraudulent PDP gang that has never implemented 30% of capital projects in its budgets? Or has GEJ ever hit at least 40% in capital budget implementation? If you ask that question again then you must be the biggest he-goat no n'ama.

What exactly have you said now? Lol! You are too clownish! You are not coherent! Maybe I shouldn't waste my time on you as I can see you are just an online tout and troll! Keep your bitterness and negativity going you hear. Don't stop! Until you get ulcer! Lol. I can see that the progress we are making is making you uncomfortable! SMH!
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by OmoTier1(m): 1:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
Seriously, I came to this thread to see the kind of bridge to be built, the duration of construction, mode of financing, but all I have read so far is the usual blah blah. Aren't you guys tired of mediocrity? In a civilized clime, when a government plans to execute a project either solely or through a joint partnership, they provide as much details as possible to give the project credibility and also give the citizens the belief that they are serious with the project.

River Niger is a very small river that in my opinion, the billions stolen by Ibori, Obi and co could have adequately funded the reconstruction of a mid-way suspension bridge without the FG involvement.

[size=28pt]How politics stalled 2nd Niger Bridge, 21 years after it was designed[/size] ....>>>> http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/how-politics-stalled-2nd-niger-bridge-21-years-after-it-was-designed/
Re: Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge by OmoTier1(m): 1:22pm On Feb 23, 2013
ISSUES bordering on the very poor state of the River Niger Bridge at Onitsha and the urgent need to build a second bridge across the River took the centre stage at one of the sessions of the House of Representatives last week.

The House passed a motion sponsored by Mr. Ezenwa Onyewuchi, representing Owerri Federal Constituency of Imo State, which observed that the current River Niger bridge which was built in 1965, is at the brink of caving in. In passing the motion, the House urged the Federal Government to engage the services of a competent contractor to commence the construction of a second Niger bridge to support the one presently in use.

Presenting the motion, Onyewuchi noted that the bridge, which links the South-East, South-South and South-West and some northern states, is on the verge of collapse due to its age, over use and lack of maintenance.

[size=18pt]“There is evidence of corrosion and cracks to the structural members of the bridge, which has been stretched beyond its limits and capacity, ” he said, adding that “the promises of constructing a second Niger Bridge by the past and present administrations has been a mirage.”[/size]

Building a second bridge across the River Niger has become an over-flogged issue since 1992 when former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida challenged. Nigerian Engineers to come up with the design of the bridge.

Overbearing deadweight
The River Niger bridge has become a nightmare to commuters mainly due to poor maintenance, overuse, frequent subjection to overbearing deadweight and cannibalisation. The dead weight is a product of the traffic snarl that has become a regular feature at the imposing bridge.

Apart from the observation made by Mr. Onyewuchi on the floor of the House of Reps, fears have previously been raised in many quarters that the bridge may soon cave in. The current bridge which links the River Niger from Asaba to Onitsha, was actually initiated by the British colonial government and completed just before the civil war.

Missing bolts, nuts and other key metal components from the steel bridge prompted the Federal Government to undertake rehabilitation work on it about six years ago. These palliative measures lasted for a short time before the bridge became stressed again. Experts posit that the only solution remains the construction of a second bridge to link the Owerri end of Onitsha town.

Vanguard Homes & Property recalls that due to the persistent calls by concerned users of the bridge who noted that age was no longer on its side and that if nothing was done to remedy the situation, the bridge will, one day cave in, the then Works & Housing Minister, Major-General Mamman Kotyangora, an Engineer, persuaded the Babangida regime to challenge indigenous engineers with the design and construction of the bridge.

The Nigerian Society of Engineers NSE, rose to the challenge and formed a management consultancy company known as NSE PREMS which did the design of the bridge. Unfortunately, the project did not take off as the Federal government later came up with the idea of adding an East -West rail line to the project. This later developed signalled the commencement of intense politicking on the construction of the bridge with successive governments merely pay lip service to the project.

About three years ago, the former Minister of Works, Senator Mohammed Sanusi Daggash raised the hope of millions of users of the bridge when he assured Nigerians that the present administration is desirous and committed to the construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge.

He noted that the construction of a second bridge across the Niger had become expedient and assured Nigerians that while maintenance works will continue on the existing bridge, the Federal Government would work assiduously to construct a new one. Daggash was later removed from office and the issue died.

[size=18pt]In August last year, the the Federal Government again resurrected the issue of building a 2nd Niger Bridge. The government said it has approved a contract of N325 million to Messrs Roughton International Limited, a transaction advisory services firm, to design, build, finance and operate the proposed second Niger Bridge.[/size]

Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, and his Ministry of Works counterpart, Mike Onolememen, told State House correspondents that the government is targeting the third quarter of this year as the period when the ground breaking ceremony of the project will be performed.

Onolememen explained that the Federal Government approved the project in order to address the problems of accidents that road users on the route face so that there will be free movement of traffic between the South-west and South-east.

[size=28pt]What happened to the N325 million approved to contract Messrs Roughton International Limited to design, build, finance and operate the proposed second Niger Bridge [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ogbu Emmanuel, EBSU SUG President Spent N10m Given To Students By Governor Umahi / Don’t Demonise Sunday Igboho, Akintola Warns Makinde / FG Secretly Raises Electricity Tariff - LEADERSHIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.