Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,654 members, 7,878,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 09:28 AM

My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? (9928 Views)

Help! My Mechanic Is Driving Me CRAZY / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by ceysaga: 11:26pm On Feb 24, 2013
Its a 99 camry. He said its not necessary in naija. The thermostat has 82 centigrade written on it.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by gulfer: 7:05am On Feb 25, 2013
^^Tell him to replace it immediately. The damage done without the thermostat in a car is gradual and sometimes irreversible.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by kuntash: 7:42am On Feb 25, 2013
look here, before I see this post again, I need to see your response that he has replaced it back!!

look elsewhere if you have any issue, many if not all thermostat fails in the open state, so put it back!
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 25, 2013
The thermostat is •̸№t necessary as Į̸̸̨ƭ will only make ur car overheat. Į̸̸̨ƭ is used in much colder countries τ̲̅ȍ keep the radiator water and engine oil from freezing.pls have •̸№ fear.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 25, 2013
ceysaga: Its a 99 camry. He said its not necessary in naija. The thermostat has 82 centigrade written on it.
have •̸№ fear,ur mechanic has done ‎u well.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 25, 2013
will only cause your car to overheat....your mecho did you a favour
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
nony30: The thermostat is •̸№t necessary as Į̸̸̨ƭ will only make ur car overheat. Į̸̸̨ƭ is used in much colder countries τ̲̅ȍ keep the radiator water and engine oil from freezing.pls have •̸№ fear.

If you know nothing about automobile, ask questions, and be educated. Engine oil freezing? Even the least educated or technical individual knows engine oil can't freeze.

Overheating is caused by other factors, not a thermostat. Removing a thermostat because the engine overheats only masks an inherent issue. Nevada, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Dubai etc are much hotter than Nigeria. Guess what? Their engines run thermostats. The thermostat does NOT control temperature from the surroundings, it controls the temperature from WITHIN.

Running without a thermostat will cause an increase in fuel consumption, as the ECU will think the engine's cold, and dump in loads of fuel. The only way the ECU can relate fuelling to coolant temperature is via the CTS (coolant temperature sensor). Excessive fuel going through an engine on a constant basis gives rise to "bore wash". This is a condition whereby the oil lubricating the cylinder bores is washed off by the copious amouts of fuel being introduced. This will then wear out the piston rings AND bores. This is when the engine begins to burn oil, with lots of blue smoke from the exhaust.

What is deemed as "overheating" in the Nigerian context?

An engine running between 75 - 100 degrees Celsius is NOT overheating! That is the optimum operating temperange! So if your gauge indicates midway or three quarters, that is perfectly normal!

If the bores wear out, there's no cheaper option other than a replacement engine. An engine is designed to burn a certain amount of fuel at a specific engine speed and load. If too much is injected, the engine can't cope. It will struggle at low speeds, sometimes misfire as the amount of fuel it's being forced to injest floods it, and spark plugs will usually be soaked, and black. This is also one of the reasons the oil level in these engines is often above the maximum mark - it gets diluted with gasoline, which thins it out. gasoline-diluted oil is as useful as running cooking oil in your engine - zero protection, and will later result in worn big-end and crankshaft main bearings, giving rise to "engine knock".

An over-cooled engine also means the oil will also run cooler. Oil below 75 degrees is useless, and will attract condensation (water droplets). This will turn to sludge over time, and is one of the main causes of oil pump failure. A failed oil pump will starve the engine of oil, leading to complete seizure.

Thermostats are fitted by design and function, not to make your engine look pretty. It IS an integral part of the cooling system, and should NOT be removed under ANY circumstance. If your "mechanic" insists you remove your thermostat, then I'm afraid it's time to find a real technician / engineer to carry out repairs and routine maintenance on your automobile.

Why do you guys think automobile that have been running perfectly well whilst being used abroad, suddenly suffer catastrophic engine failure once they land in Nigeria? Bad mechanics, who don't know one end of a spanner from the other, and who shouldn't even be allowed to swing a wrench near a wheelbarrow.

Good luck!

19 Likes

Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Ikenna351(m): 2:29pm On Feb 25, 2013
^^^^ Siena, its not always bad mechanics that cause all these car issues as soon as they enter Nigeria, but some owners themselves are the cause of their nightmares. Take for example the suggestions given to Op by two posters here (nony30 & adeniyisavage). Op could be misled by such posts.

We learn by asking questions about something we dont know, like Op did. So, Op you did the right thing by asking. Siena has explained the consequencies of removing thermostat to you. I would take his advice, if i were you.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 25, 2013
Siena:

If you know nothing about automobile, ask questions, and be educated. Engine oil freezing? Even the least educated or technical individual knows engine oil can't freeze.

Overheating is caused by other factors, not a thermostat. Removing a thermostat because the engine overheats only masks an inherent issue. Nevada, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Dubai etc are much hotter than Nigeria. Guess what? Their engines run thermostats. The thermostat does NOT control temperature from the surroundings, it controls the temperature from WITHIN.

Running without a thermostat will cause an increase in fuel consumption, as the ECU will think the engine's cold, and dump in loads of fuel. The only way the ECU can relate fuelling to coolant temperature is via the CTS (coolant temperature sensor). Excessive fuel going through an engine on a constant basis gives rise to "bore wash". This is a condition whereby the oil lubricating the cylinder bores is washed off by the copious amouts of fuel being introduced. This will then wear out the piston rings AND bores. This is when the engine begins to burn oil, with lots of blue smoke from the exhaust.

What is deemed as "overheating" in the Nigerian context?

An engine running between 75 - 100 degrees Celsius is NOT overheating! That is the optimum operating temperange! So if your gauge indicates midway or three quarters, that is perfectly normal!

If the bores wear out, there's no cheaper option other than a replacement engine. An engine is designed to burn a certain amount of fuel at a specific engine speed and load. If too much is injected, the engine can't cope. It will struggle at low speeds, sometimes misfire as the amount of fuel it's being forced to injest floods it, and spark plugs will usually be soaked, and black. This is also one of the reasons the oil level in these engines is often above the maximum mark - it gets diluted with gasoline, which thins it out. gasoline-diluted oil is as useful as running cooking oil in your engine - zero protection, and will later result in worn big-end and crankshaft main bearings, giving rise to "engine knock".

An over-cooled engine also means the oil will also run cooler. Oil below 75 degrees is useless, and will attract condensation (water droplets). This will turn to sludge over time, and is one of the main causes of oil pump failure. A failed oil pump will starve the engine of oil, leading to complete seizure.

Thermostats are fitted by design and function, not to make your engine look pretty. It IS an integral part of the cooling system, and should NOT be removed under ANY circumstance. If your "mechanic" insists you remove your thermostat, then I'm afraid it's time to find a real technician / engineer to carry out repairs and routine maintenance on your automobile.

Why do you guys think automobile that have been running perfectly well whilst being used abroad, suddenly suffer catastrophic engine failure once they land in Nigeria? Bad mechanics, who don't know one end of a spanner from the other, and who shouldn't even be allowed to swing a wrench near a wheelbarrow.

Good luck!
People make mistakes due τ̲̅ȍ misinformation.I have had issues of overheating in the past with tokumbo cars and once the thermostat is removed Į̸̸̨ƭ stops right away,so Į̸̸̨ƭ was only natural τ̲̅ȍ profer the same remedy which worked for me τ̲̅ȍ a troubled nairalander.well op I am sorry and didn't mean any harm.thank God the ogbomosho and igwebuike educated true mechanics in the house siena and ikenna have come τ̲̅ȍ Ɣ☺ΰя rescue.@ least I meant •̸№ harm just trying τ̲̅ȍ help out.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Ogojohn(m): 5:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
nony30: People make mistakes due τ̲̅ȍ misinformation.I have had issues of overheating in the past with tokumbo cars and once the thermostat is removed Į̸̸̨ƭ stops right away,so Į̸̸̨ƭ was only natural τ̲̅ȍ profer the same remedy which worked for me τ̲̅ȍ a troubled nairalander.well op I am sorry and didn't mean any harm.thank God the havard and igwebuike educated true mechanics in the house siena and ikenna have come τ̲̅ȍ Ɣ☺ΰя rescue.@ least I meant •̸№ harm just trying τ̲̅ȍ help out.
SEEMS YOU WERE BORN A TROUBLE MAKER.

1 Like

Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ogojohn: SEEMS YOU WERE BORN A TROUBLE MAKER.
hmm!!I'm rather τ̲̅ȍ tired from hours of traffic.tomorrow dude.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by mastro: 5:20am On Feb 27, 2013
ceysaga: Its a 99 camry. He said its not necessary in naija. The thermostat has 82 centigrade written on it.

He is a "roadside" not a mechanic, if the Japanese man thought that a thermostat wasn't required then he wouldn't have installed one.
Also if your fan is not working (the usual reason they give for removing thermostat and connecting fan directly, most of the time it's the relay or switch as they like to call it.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 02, 2013
hmmm..guess i was wrong? i still hold on to my initial suggestion.
i drive a 99 honda accord with the thermostat removed for years.nothing happened to the car as afore mentioned
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by bayooz(m): 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2013
Our mechanics/repairers could be very funny. They have accumulated so many funny fables and unscientific conceptions (misconceptions) over the years. That is why I always love to stay by them when working on my vehicle with my tablet at hand to re-educate them on some common mistakes.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by kenmaro: 6:58am On Mar 04, 2013
Some mechanics are so unprofessional. I have often asked some mechanic this question, do they have electric iron and refrigerator at home, why didn't they remove the thermostat from it? Thermostat regulates temperature so as not to over-heat. If you remove a thermostat from a refrigerator, you will observe that the compressor will over-heat as a result it won't cool effectively and it will damage the compressor overtime. Also, a bad thermostat in an electric iron causes it to over-heat and burn clothes. This just a common domestic example of the function of a thermostat. I tell you, thermostat is the life-wire of your engine, do not remove it from your car. Some states in the US where most cars are manufactured has more higher temperature than Nigerian tropical temperature. Pls, go and replace your thermostat in your car. An overheating engine with a thermostat might be an indication that the thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by Kashif(m): 9:01am On Mar 04, 2013
@OP, i don't think your mechanic removed your thermostat. He should have only disconnected it. Just ask him to reconnect it. The connector looks like the one that connects your fan power, on the driver's side, close to the headlamp.
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by donbuchi1(m): 4:40pm On May 07, 2013
From toyota_corolla_owners_manual_2006 page 99

Do not remove the thermostat in the engine cooling system as this may cause the engine to overheat.
The thermostat is designed to control the flow of coolant to keep the temperature of the engine within
the specified operating range.

A word is enough...
Re: My Mechanic Removed My Toyota Camry's Thermostat. Any Drawbacks? by financialpowa: 10:14am On Nov 09, 2022
Thanks Siena for that wonderful round of a technical presentation and very useful information to every car owner and an aspired car owners. Those who can read, let them learn!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon / Jaguar XJ (X308 And X350) / ❗❗I Inspect Lagos Cars For People Living Anywhere In Nigeria And Diaspora❗❗

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.