Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,938 members, 7,873,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Prisoners Of War - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoners Of War (39163 Views)

We Are Able (THUG OF WAR) / Woman Of War --- A Story By Miss_fibre / Prisoner Of War - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoners Of War by WAZOBIA3: 12:46pm On May 15, 2013
I suspect that cobra to be Uju's father and it is likely possible that Madueke killed his brother.
But keep on writing, don't keep us waiting.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 5:49pm On May 15, 2013
After that day in Ichie Ararume's that saw a fight between Ulu and Mgborie, Uju and her sisters had gotten the harder treatment. Madueke had returned in the company of Nwabiala and Mbiaka, Nweke had also returned and like every one of them, he didn't take it lightly. Okala was the only one that took sides with Uju, while Nwabiala remained neutral, and didn't show much concern.
Uju couldn't speak because of her sobs, it was now coming in a quick progression, Oby couldn't hold herself either. Ulumma was now in the position to speak on their behalf but she made things worst with her arrogant approach directed at Madueke,

"I know that you've been trying to eliminate us," she began, "ever since our father died, you've made a futile attempt, thanks to the gods. But i'm surprised that you still can't admit the fact that you were not made to be rich like your hardworking brother, simply because you were too lazy to work." Uju opened her eyes wide in surprise. Where had Ulumma gotten this boldness from? She hadn't anticipated this, she never asked her to speak. Uju felt a mixed feeling of bitterness and embarrassment, she touched Ulumma to give her a pause gesture, as it wasn't meaningful to approach an elderly man with such words, even if he was on the wrong side, afterall, it is said in an adage that you can't chase the dog in a fight using even the foulest smelling excrement, Ulumma ignored all Uju's gesture, and continued, "your younger brother was working hard to acquire wealth when you were filling the whole village with your offsprings and .................."
Kpowaaaaaaa
A resounding slap landed on her right chin from the left handed Nweke, it really sounded like a thunder that Ulumma didn't open her eyes for some moments. It was here that Uju found her tongue, trying her best to hold back her fast dripping tears,

"Nnam ukwu, what have we done to deserve this callous treatment from you, that you're looking for a way to kill all of us in a day because of your selfish interest," Uju was so bitter that she didn't know when she let out those words. The left handed Nweke once again graced her smooth face with a resounding slap, Ulumma got angry and pounced on Nweke from behind. What was she thinking? Nweke was Madueke's eldest son, and might have seen over ten new moons before Ulumma.
Nweke bent with ease and turned to get hold of her, with ease also, he lifted her and held her up for minutes.

"When next you address my father, accord him some respect as a father of four healty sons not a father of sickling daughters," Ugorji spoke for the first time. Ugorji was the only son Ahurone bore to Madueke, about the same age as Agunna, just trailing him by the difference of one izu. Ugorji was a well built handsome young man, and had special bodily features that made gossip mongers wonder whether Madueke was his real father.
Generally, in Madueke's family, he was second to only Akwanwa in terms of beauty/handsomeness, not that others were bad. There were also traces of natural beauty in Mgborie, but her doggedness made her look like a tom-boy.
To the real issue now, Nweke's hands were begining to ache, he decided to drop Ulumma roughly on the floor. She collided with the foot of the chair made of mahogany, situated in the vast parlour of Ararume. She hurt her arms, but not with a serious injury, she laid unconsciously on the floor. Uju amidst been pushed to the floor by the force of that followed the effect of Nweke's left hand thunderous slap, still reached out to her sister to console her. Uju held her head tightly as if it was aching, Nweke looked at her as if he was feeling sorry for his action. Oby as usual stood as far as close to the exit door, ready to take off when there would be any advancement towards her, she looked at Uju and Ulumma with sympathy.
It had almost reached the middle of the night, the ikwikwi were making kwikwikwi sound, singing to the tune of music known to them only.
Ulumma reawoke to consciousness, and was surprised to see Uju and Oby besides her who were now asleep, she wondered how the fight had ended. Many questions went through her mind like "what i'm i doing here on the floor?"
She stood to her feet and went to check where she could see a room where she could stay with her sisters. She couldn't believe her eyes.

"So this big-eyed man have left his little house with his family to come and stretch their body here, eh?" she murmured to herself.

"Ulumma, you're up?" Uju said in a voice that almost startled Ulumma.

"Yes, adannem, but this people are really annoying"

"Ulu, please. The one they've done to you already is too much, please allow them to enjoy their sleep, please come to bed."

Ulumma looked at her sister with contempt, as she points to the bare floor as bed. How could she be this naive? She had repugnance for her sister's soft behaviour that she couldn't conceal her facial expression.

"Ulu, why are you looking at me like that?" Uju asked dazed, but Ulumma ignored her and turned her eyes away from her sister.

"I'm talking to you," Uju was careful in maintaining a hush tone in other not to wake those who are sleeping.

"I hate your attitude," Ulumma muttered as she role her eyes away from Uju who was trying to come in her sight.

"Ulu, please look at me." Uju pleaded.

"Say on," Ulumma said still not looking at her side.

"Ulu nwa, i know you must be very angry with me, just as it pains you, it also pains me to see ourselves in this kind of situation. I miss my brother but its painful that his whereabout is not known till today. I'll urge you to keep calm and be patient with life, we'll never remain in this condition. One day we'll all go to our husband's house and at least have were we can lay our head. It will be alright very soon." Uju spake still maintaining her hush tone.
Ulumma looked at Uju without saying anything, and then turned her face away again.

"Ulu nwa, talk to me, please." Uju teased her and tickle her side that she involuntarily laughed out loud, which awoke those who were asleep.

"Who for goodness sake would be disturbing our sleep at this time of the night?" Ahurone bursted out of her room, following her behind was Mgborie and then Ugorji, Nweke came out from his room to see what is happening and know what is going on at this ungodly hour. Uju held her mouth in remorse, Ulumma turned her gaze away from the disgustful sight of the Maduekes.

"Witches! Chatting and laughing and doing what is known to only them when humans are sleeping." Mgborie ran her mouth uncontrollably.

"Infact, they have to leave this house this night, before they harm us," Nweke commanded, they all supported.

"Throw who out?" Okala refuted coming out from the room, "please, please nobody is going anywhere, it is too late."

"What do you know we're talking about here?" Mgborie pointed with disdain to Okala.

Arguement arose amongst Mgborie and Okala and they were all up now including the blind Madueke.

"Dim oma, your words about this witches have been confirmed this night," Ahurone spoke panting heavily, "do you know they were laughing and discussing when we were sleeping."

"Then, there's no need housing death, let them be thrown outside."

"Gbam", they (except Okala) said almost in unison. Okala was surprised to see his mother of all people, also agreeing to this. His mother scolded him severely for taking sides with Uju and her sisters. It was now obvious that his objection was pointless and futile. He gave up.
Uju and her sisters were thrown out that night and they spent the rest of their night out in the dark.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:06pm On May 15, 2013
GLOSSARY

Nnam ukwu - Used to address an elderly man, literally meaning, "my great father."

have seen over ten new moons before Ulumma - is ten years older than Ulumma

izu - week

ikwikwi - owl

Gbam - a remark of endorsement.
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 12:16am On May 16, 2013
You are taking me into a whole new world
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:27am On May 16, 2013
[size=14pt]6 [/size]

The next day was a cloudy morning, that it looked like it was going to rain. People were going to farm peacefully, seems they ignored whatever signal the sky were giving. Some of the farmers didn't work yesterday because of the rain that lasted almost the whole day.
Uju and her sisters had spend their night in the kitchen, their skins were swollen from the sting of those 'witch mosquitoes'. Oby was now slighty ill, it started with cold that they had sustained all night, but her case was a bit different, the cold had accumulated in her soft body, and had aggravated into a fever accompanied by headache and soar throat. Uju became worried and frustrated that she never knew when she began scolding her sister for being sick.

"Don't vent your anger towards the sick girl," Ulumma said angrily, "did she made herself sick?"

"Ulumma, please! Just don't incite me, because what you'll get may be something worse than a thunder strike." Uju was now getting more serious.

"You're sick too, maybe you should check yourself." Ulumma giggled.

Kpowaaa! The line of Uju's palm was visible on Ulumma's face, that it woked Oby and people inside could have heard that. Uju quickly realised what she have done was uncalled for, she stooped down to her knees and pleaded for her forgiveness.

"Ulu, please forgive me, i never knew what came over me." Uju pleaded.
For the first time for some period of time, the strong hearted Ulumma was dripping tears like a new born baby, she sobbed loud and Uju held her to herself and caressed her hair with her hand also in tears.
Oby would have said something during the drama, but it seems they had come back to their real selfs.
Ulumma held the spot on her face where Uju slapped tightly with her palms, while Uju used her palm to rub the spot to cool it down.
Ulumma's cry could make someone wonder if it was Uju's slap that made her cry, or her pleas, it was so rare to see Ulumma cry this way, even if she got injury.
Despite Ulumma's 'never-let-go' attitude, she wouldn't had returned a fight for her sister's approach even if she hadn't apologised. The last time Uju and Ulumma had a fight was as far way back as four years ago, then as children, with their parents all alive. Ulumma was so stubborn that she wouldn't even listen to her sister, she fought with almost everybody in her peer groups. Uju couldn't even win her convincingly in a fight, although a fight involving the duo was rare, it would rather involve in slight exchange of words which Uju will be fast to give up. Sibling rivalry between Ulumma and Agunna was an epic one (if you grew up in this kind of family you'll understand quite well), the age gap was close, just two years in Agunna's favour.
Agunna was another tiger, hence you can see it in his name, its literal meaning is "father's tiger."
He was violent when there's need to be, he couldn't condone Ulumma's nagging, he used any means even if its beating to halt her. As they grew up, their rivalry grew with them but fighting was minimized, Uju played role more of a mediator between the duo, she would stand and defend Ulumma and when it was beyond her powers, her mother will now come in, and give punishment to whom it is due. Agunna didn't give elderly respect to Uju, she never mind, she anticipated that. He would outwit Uju in ownership of properties, she would simply let go, but there's only one place where Uju had the upper hand, in kitchen. She used that area of food to threaten him to work. Ararume, their father wouldn't take this lightly, he could shout and scold everyone for Agunna's sake, not until he died, that was when Agunna met his bosom friend, Ihedi.
Ihedi was only child of his parents, and life was so boring, no matter that his parents provided him with whatever he wants, he met Agunna who felt also like an only child staying among girls, he did not had anybody to have a man to man talk with, just as he had with his father before his death. From then onwards, Ihedi and Agunna became friends, they did hunting together, played together, and played some mischievous pranks on other children and so many other things. Sometimes Agunna ate in his friend's house and sometimes Ihedi also ate in Agunna's house, neither of the family on both sides disturbed their relationship.
Oh lovely memories, Uju recalled as she moved her arms gently away from Ulumma who had almost fallen asleep in her arms but was startled by Uju's sudden pull away from her.

"What is it, adannem? Ulumma asked Uju who was frowning, "you look worried, is it still about what just happened?" Ulumma still pressed further to finish all she wanted to say, "i've forgiven you, you don't need to think of that again, it is passed."

"No, my dear sister. It's not that, its just that i was trying to recall the good old days, i would never had thought of this our situation four years back." she gasped. Ulumma found herself repeating Uju's word yesternight to her.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:30am On May 16, 2013
"Remember you told me the same thing yesterday" Ulumma said watching her intently. Uju smiled and nodded as Ulumma teased.

"Ehen, you look more beautiful than Akwanwa, when you smile." Ulumma teased further and Uju laughed out.

"Ulu, please i don't want to hurt my rib," Uju said amidst laughter, "seriously i thought i was ageing."

"Ageing? How come Igwe's son did not see you ageing when he was......." Ulumma winked at her and giggled in other to avoid completing the statement, instead she said used, "you know nu" to complete her statement.

"Ewuuu, this girl, you talk too much!" Uju said laughing, "but i didn't like that joke" she was serious now.

"Hmmm, don't pretend you didn't see that."

"Ulumma, you're shouting!" she didn't sensed the seriousness in Uju's voice, she still said on, praising her.

"The only ageing beauty that attracts a whole prince."

"In your shallow minds," both Uju and Ulumma turned back to see the mischievous Mgborie staggering with laughter, following her behind was Akwanwa, she covered her mouth to conceal her laughter, so that she won't get herself involved with anything with Uju. She thought it wise not to start any unnecessary rivalry with Uju, but Mgborie was funny though, so she couldn't hide her laughter.

"And who talked to you", Ulumma countered.

"Hmmm, but you shouldn't have insulted my sister to compare with your destitute of a sister" Mgborie said aloud, "coming to talk of the prince, all i can say is have a nice prince, and how will he marry a witch."
Ulumma rose violently to give her a slap but Uju witheld her from the action. Mgborie shifted backwards, just to avoid her touch, she hadn't fully recovered from yesterday's fight.

"Please, Ulu leave her to say anything, its me she's talking to." Uju calmed her.
Akwanwa felt guilt in her heart after Uju said that, she wasn't accustomed to initiating quarrels with someone who's does not have any score with her.

"Mgborie, please lets go", was all she could say.

"What's happening here?" Nweke who looked tattered came into the scene, seems he just return from hunting, he was with a grasscutter in his bag.

"Thank God you came, please tell this things to take their stinking body out of our kitchen, so that they won't contaminate our food." Mgborie said knowing that Ulumma wouldn't do anything because of Nweke's presence.

"Mgborie!" Akwanwa screamed at her. She was taking it too far. Uju was now dripping tears gently, making feeling more pity for her.
Oby now woke up to see everywhere almost filled with these same people that tortured them yesternight, she wondered what in the world was her sisters doing that they came in the midst of this ruthless ones.

"Keep on crying, witch" Mgborie said as she left for the kitchen.
Uju filled her palms with sand and looked up and cursed,
"I stand under this sky and swear under the watch of Amadioha, that if i and my sisters be witches let Amadioha strike us dead instantly, but if we're not, if we're not, and i repeat, if we're not the three of you that stand here and watch me, shall encounter the worst experience in your life in the same day, and this family shall never know peace. SO BE IT!" she said and threw the sand back to the soil.

"Uju watch your back!" Oby screamed from behind as Uju and Ulumma took to their heels. The king's guards had come for them to recapture them, Uju and Ulumma toured the bush like experts, cutting through every nooks and crannies, not minding getting hurt, Oby system was weak, that she couldn't run fast, that was why she was caught.
Uju and Ulumma ran with all their might and luckily they weren't apprehended.
They looked about and didn't see Oby.

"Oh, Oby is not with us." Uju exclaimed bitterly.

They looked dejected and hopelessly wondered to the nearest neighborhood.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:32am On May 16, 2013
oyestephen: You are taking me into a whole new world
Welcome to the new world (not MTN o) smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:30pm On May 16, 2013
The kings guards attempt to recapture Uju and her sisters weren't fully accomplished, they toured the bush in search of the escapees but all attempts yielded a futile attempt, Uju and Ulumma had used this bush like they had lived in it for several years.
The guards turned back in dejection to go back. They must have been feeling like they were so dumb to be outrunned by two "little girls".
So they went back with Oby in their hands, Oby started making futile attempts to break away from their holds, one of them gave her a slap on her face and she fainted.

Igwe was more disappointed when he knew that Uju and Ulumma were not apprehended, he kept wondering how 4 able-bodied men could not get hold of two "little brats."
Shows who they are.
Igwe was with ichie Memkpa, while he looked angered with a mixed feeling he grabbed his offor, which was the symbol of authority, and also which is used as a sign of sealing words as final order.
He looked at it and spoke,
"with this offor, as a symbol of authority and order, i hereby declare the two girls as outcasts."
There was a look of surprise on Memkpa's face, he'd not anticipated this, e'en though he had supported their lynching earlier before.

"Get the towncrier to announce this immediately." he ordered the guards.

Ifenna frowned at his father's declaration, and asked him to reverse his decision, but the king had said his order was his order.

"Father, you know what you've just done," Ifenna said bitterly, "you just jungled justice, now you've just paved way for nefarious activities."
Igwe Kalu ignored his son's speech and didn't even give him a face. Ifenna continued, "i'll leave you and your kingdom alone, let me go and stay as a guest in Amihie, that is even a better than staying in a doomed surrounding." Ifenna spat. His father didn't make any move to stop him, his mother would have but she wasn't around as she met with the umuada, a women socio-cultural organisation.
Ifenna took his belongings with him, ready to leave at any moment.
He left the palace but first he was going to visit Uju and bid her farewell. He headed first to Ararume's house but was stunned by what came to his sight. It was the beautiful Akwanwa dressed like a princess and adorned by her mother with expensive beads, waist beads and an expensive wrapper. She was going to a festival in Uzuogele where they were going to crown their king, she was also hired as one of the beautiful girls that'll dance for the new king.
Ifenna could not take his eyes away from her fair skin, and light slender hands and tall legs, she had some indigo on her. The person who put it on her must be an expert, it was her mother.
Akwanwa walked gracefully and majestically to him, and he surged.

"Now i have the prince in my home, i'm i not honoured," she bowed and asked him in. He had double mind of whether to ask her about Uju and leave immediately, or to spend more time with the sunshine beauty. Her voice also sounded melodious, but with slight difference from Uju's. She had a brilliant white teeth, and a lovely plait was done on her hair. Ifenna had definitely forgot his reason for coming as he talked and talked with her and founded unnecessary means to prolong it.
Nwabiala was very proud seeing her daughter talk with the prince, like they were friends. She observed intently the movement of his eyes as it tours the rich body.

"I'll have to go, so that i don't get there late" Akwanwa excused.

"So soon?" he asked still wanting to talk more.

Nwabiala subtly called on Akwanwa as if she was calling from afar. Akwanwa took excuse and left.

"Akwanwa, my beautiful daughter." Nwabiala hailed and she blushed, "how important is this festival than having a prince as your guest, not only as a guest but an admirer."

"Ewuuu, mama. Who told you he's admiring me?"

"If you tell me that you're blind, i'll believe you, but telling me that i'm blind indirectly when i saw everything going on." she said and peeped to make sure no one was coming.

"So you've been eavesdropping, mama" she laughed.

"Yes, to give help were a mother's help is necessary."

"But you'll be quick to scold me if i eavesdrop on yours" Akwanwa joked.

"Funny enough, you didn't even offer your guest any kola."

"oh i forgot."

"Go to the kitchen and take the fond there and give to him."

Akwanwa took the food to him, and he couldn't resist especially coming from a beautiful one.
Akwanwa lied that the food was cooked by her, and he accepted in good faith.
Ahurone saw this new development and jealousy grew in her heart like fort, likewise her daughter, so the rivalry began. That old home of quarrels and backbiting returned after it had gone on holiday, now to replace that unity the had to displace Uju and her sisters.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 4:20am On May 17, 2013
The silence on this thread is not encouraging at all cry
Re: Prisoners Of War by Jiteshell(f): 3:44pm On May 17, 2013
Do nt let it discourage u, wen a very interestn story is being read, pple tend 2 b glued 2 d story nd 4gt 2 comment. Waitn 4 d nxt update.
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 17, 2013
Where is d silence in ds thread, come not now, so i will throw u away o, stop discouraging eze o. Oya eze i have throw d silence out. Oya come update.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:08pm On May 17, 2013
Damex333: Where is d silence in ds thread, come not now, so i will throw u away o, stop discouraging eze o. Oya eze i have throw d silence out. Oya come update.
Alright.
Silence, if you come back here again, i'll call Damex333 for you grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:11pm On May 17, 2013
Jiteshell: Do nt let it discourage u, wen a very interestn story is being read, pple tend 2 b glued 2 d story nd 4gt 2 comment. Waitn 4 d nxt update.
I thought likewise, because everyday i see increase in viewership and nobody is talking. grin
Don't be sad if you don't see much update this night, i didn't do much today.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:19pm On May 17, 2013
[size=14pt]7[/size]

Life as an osu (outcast) was not a pleasant one. Osus of then was just like HIV of today, you can't buy anything in the market, speak to anyone, be greeted by anyone or even marry or be married to anyone who's a member of that community. It would be better to leave that community and sojourn in a distant land.
Uju and Ulumma lived with Echezona, their mother's brother, together with his wife and children.
But even a friend can overstay his welcome in his bosom friend's house. This was the case with Uju and her hosts. Long before now, they usually visited once in a while but now they'd come to live, they lived peacefully for two months and the story had changed. Echezona's wife couldn't accomodate them any longer, she called on her husband one day and demanded that they be sent back to their place, but Echezona tried hard explaining things to his wife but she was adamant. She had accused Ulumma of being rude to her, and Uju for bringing in all sort of boys into their house, even when all are just a big lie.
The truth was that Echezona's wife had begun seeing Uju as a possible threat to her stay. Uju's hardwork and industriousness made her feel inferior that she began seeing her as a possible potential husband snatcher, she even ignored the fact Uju was her husband's niece. Uju was very beautiful, she made better food than Echezona's wife, that's why she'd began seeing some of the traits of that potential husband snatcher. Echezona's wife had enjoyed the privilege that only few women enjoyed as a lone wife. Echezona decided that he'd be contended with only wife, so she was trying hard to resist what will make him have a rethink.
All hell was let loose when she got to hear about Uju's osu status, she made it loud and took it even more personal.
She made life unlivable for Uju, she didn't allow her touch her properties, the cooking materials. This raised concerns in Echezona that she called her one day for a talk.

"What is my wife talking about?" he asked with concern.

"Its the truth." she said with shame.

"And you kept it away from me all these while? What's wrong with you?" he said angrily

"I couldn't summon the courage to say that to anyone."

"So what was your offence."

"Nothing"

"Nothing?" he said perplexed.

"I swear by my mother's grave, i did nothing to merit it. Madueke and his families conspired to accuse me and my sisters of witchcraft, and then we were sent to prison. Not long before we encountered the prince in the prison, he freed us without his father's consent, and we came back to see Madueke and his family occupying my father's house, they destroyed whatever belonged to me and some of the clothes that my mother left behind." she began to drip tears and cry out loud. Echezona caressed her by hitting her back gently, while she continued her story, "when we wanted to spend the night, they beat us and threw us out at the middle of the night." she said sobbing heavily.

"And what again?" he asked keenly.

"Later in the morning, while we're in the kitchen, the kings guard came after us and we took to our heels, and Oby was caught." she said with deep regret.

"Oby was caught? And you told me she was fine earlier on?" he said more furiously.

"Please forgive me, i never wanted you to know that we're osus for fear of your stigmatization."

"Stigmatization?" he said with an expression of disgust and shock.
"See, your mother was my only sister, she took care of me since our parents died at my tender age and brought me up and took care of me until i was man enough to be on my own. I took an oath before your mother to take care of you before she died. Don't try again to hide such information from me again." he said and Uju nodded.

"Nna anyi, is there anything you can do to settle our scores with your wife, i don't like what she says about me."

"Yes, i have a plan." he said, "I have an aunty in Ozalla-Abo who happens to be an osu too, who was banned from this village for reasons unmentionable. She'll take care of you i'm sure of that, she wasn't married to anybody and now she's old and lonely, she'll be happy to have you. Just be good to her" he said.
Uju felt like a little hope had been restored to her once again but she thought about being single all the days of her life and living the same lonely life. She had no option but to accept her fate as it is.

One would have thought that Oby would live her life as a prisoner but opposite from that, she lived in the palace like a princess.
It all started with Oby's sickness, when she was apprehended. She took ill and she threw up on her arrival to the palace, and it was before the queen. Lolo took it upon herself to treat Oby, her like for the young adolescent grew immensely. She didn't had a girl child, she just had three sons, and two died during the pestilence.
After taking care of Oby's sickness, she pleaded with Igwe Kalu not to take the young girl back to the prison yard.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:45pm On May 17, 2013
Oby found joy in her new found home, she'd never been pampered like this after her mother's death. She was begining to do away with the sad memories of her mother's death which she bore in her heart. She'd found a mother asides mother. Lolo had claimed that she looked exactly like the girl child she dreamt of giving birth to but age didn't favoured her. Oby was pretty dark skinned and slender, she face was graced with brilliantly dark eyelashes and eyebrow, she got pointed bosoms which was still developing for a developing teenager.
Lolo adorned her with beautiful royal attires and finely weaved beads that made her more beautiful.
Oby on her first week of stay in the palace, looked timid and puerile but got acquainted to her new found home.
Ifenna was the happiest to welcome the new damsel, he took her as a sister and always loved her to go out with him, even if his mother insists she stay back to keep her company. The once "quiet-as-a-grave" palace had now turned into a "noisy-as-a-playground" one. Sometimes their noise are loud that it reached the hearing of the ichies that were meeting on an important issue.

"Igwe, you have one son whom we know but who's the second that we don't know?" one of them asked.

"Its our new found daughter, she's so lovely" Kalu laughed.

"Do you mind if we see who this lovely daughter is." Memkpa demanded smiling with anticipation.

"OBY!" Kalu called and she answered from within and raced towards him and hugged him on his stool and he reciprocated, she also turned and prostrated before the ichies. And their eyes and mouth were all wide opened in amazement and perplexity.

"Ararume's daughter?" they said almost in chorus. It seems one of them had something to say that would not suit the hearing of the teenager, so Kalu signaled her to go back to her room.

"Is that not one of them?" Memkpa asked, "The witches!"

"Please please please!" Kalu interrupted him in disagreement.
"That's what i don't want to hear from you again, i've never seen a witch that is so tender."

"If i didn't believe this before, it's now i'll fully believe it now." one of them said.

"Gbam," Memkpa agreed, "who would believe that you once convicted this same girl and sentenced her and now she's your daughter. Something fishy is really going on here."

"Somebody lied to me and you know it, and let us end this discussion on witches now." Kalu said as he strikes his staff on the earth, meaning that it is sealed.
He dismissed the gathering and retired to his room.
From thence, it was all over the villages, that the king adopted a dead man's daughter.

Akwanwa's friendship with Ifenna was begining to take another dimension, it had started from the day Ifenna came in enquiry of Uju and ran into her.
From then he visited at least, once in a week, and then it became a daily routine. Ifenna had always been paying the visit and later he then obliged to be the host while he invited Akwanwa to the palace. At first she fidgeted at his suggestion but Ifenna gave her an assurance of safety and she took permission from her mother and dressed for her meeting. Dressing to visit the prince was like dressing for a festival, were her mother kept on selecting beads upon beads to adorn her.
She reached the palace and met her greatest surprise.
OBY. She was stunned to see her, not only coming out with Ifenna but also playing with him, also dressed in royal attires like a princess, she looked more prettier than before. Oby saw Akwanwa and her mood changed, she just saw her and waved and told Ifenna that she wants to go and sleep.
Ifenna was surprised because she never looked sleepy, but she let her go because he had another guest.

"Who's she?" Akwanwa asked rather stupidly.

"You mean you don't know her?" he asked dazed by her question.

"Sorry, i mean who's she to you that you two were playing like siblings?"

"We're siblings of course," he laughed just exactly as his father did when he professed it before the elders.

"How?" she asked it in a way that it pissed him off.

"You ask too much question, can we change topic to ourselves and leave the poor girl alone."

"Okay" she laughed, "you invited me here so you will decide the topic."

"Alright, let's start with you." he pointed to her,
"Tell me about you."
She cleared her throat and began;
"I'm the first daughter of Madueke, a brother to the late ichie, the father of the little girl that came in here," she said pointing towards the direction Oby took while heading to her room.
"I've seen twenty new moons already, i grew up being loved by my parents. My father loved me very much that he still kept my mother for my sake. I love my parents too." she finished.

"Just that? You didn't tell me how you came about to be so beautiful."

"I'll leave that for my maker" she blushed.

They chatted and laughed together until it got dark before Akwanwa went back home.
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 8:31pm On May 17, 2013
So our prince has forgotten 'the one with the melodious voice ' ?
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:21pm On May 17, 2013
oyestephen: So our prince has forgotten 'the one with the melodious voice ' ?
My brother, osu is like HIV patient o.
You can't talk with them not to talk of having affair with them.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:26am On May 18, 2013
I regret to announce to you that there will be no update until on Monday.

HAPPY WEEKEND! smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by BlueLantern: 8:03pm On May 18, 2013
So dis guy still dey exist...........bia guy ele ebe ino since
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 9:11pm On May 18, 2013
Tank God eze is back
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:01am On May 19, 2013
A garam panya grin
BlueLantern: So dis guy still dey exist...........bia guy ele ebe ino since
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:04am On May 19, 2013
sambroose: Tank God eze is back
Yea, i'm back again.
No draw back wink
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 12:51pm On May 20, 2013
I'm just doing this to pull my thread out from relegation zone.

You understand wetin i mean na grin

Update will be coming up this evening!
CHEERS!
Re: Prisoners Of War by kkjoy(f): 1:14pm On May 20, 2013
nice one.... Keep it up
following till d very end
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:55pm On May 20, 2013
kkjoy: nice one.... Keep it up
following till d very end
Thanks smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:12pm On May 21, 2013
Ozalla-Abo was a neighbouring village to Umudioga, but was twelve miles away from Echezona's place.
The trio of Echezona, Uju and Ulumma visited an old woman, that same old woman who was also an osu just as Echezona had narrated to Uju.
Aruma's was now in a very old age, she had lived in a lonely place for over thirty new moons, she was also an outcast living in the community where lawlessness abide, but she lived a very discreet life in this place. In her ugly looking and tattered hut, it looked like there was noone in there.
As an old woman she worked very hard, that she could cater for her food, and also save money from the little land she cultivated on. The hut she lived in was made by her when she arrived newly in the area. Uju saw the state of the hut and how everything was managed and she bit her lips in regret, they were coming to real hell. She had heard many osus always find a new and better home down down south to the Atlantic ocean, but their case was different, they had sojourned in a neighbouring community, where possibly the memories of home will still linger in their minds.
There were wild grown grasses surrounding the areas, which made Uju wondered the multitude of snakes and other dangerous animal that could sojourn in that bush, it looked scary, she really pitied the old woman, forgetting that the pity should also be on her.

"Dada, i greet you," Echezona greeted the old woman using the name 'dada' which was the name used then to address single mothers or women who didn't get married before they got old.

"Good evening, Eche," she reciprocated. "This one you came to this place not alone but with two good-looking damsel, is all well?"
"All is well, just that I just need little favour from you."

"You know there's nothing you'll ask from me, i won't give to you, so speak on." the old woman said keenly.

"I want these girls to stay with you." Uju frowned at this word but she had to contain it because she had no choice. The old woman too looked perplexed that she had to cut him short.

"Eche, of all the good homes with good people in the whole villages, why here? Don't you think that this pretty girls deserve much more better than this?

"Actually they are osus now!"

"Osu? For what offence?" she gasped. Uju sobbed hard at this word, making the old woman wonder. Ulumma moved forward, held her shoulder and consoled her.
"Nothing in particular, just masterminded by their father's brother."

"Who's their father? Who are they?" she still asked further making the discussion prolonged.

"Dada, don't tell me that you wouldn't recognize the daughter of Ochi, my sister if you see one."

"Are you telling me that this are Ochi's daughters!" she said extremely amazed.

"Exactly!"

She was very happy to see them, but unfortunately at this time when the generous woman had already slept with her ancestors. Ochibiaram had been providing for her ever since she married Ararume till the day she died. She had pity on the young girls for the misfortunes that accompanied their orphanage. She beckoned on them to come and sit by her and they obliged. She wondered the kind of brother their father had to have put them in this kind of situation. She knew it was natural for most men to do like that especially when they found themselves in such positions, but what she couldn't decipher was why an old man would go up to the extent of falsely accusing two harmless lady that he could accomodate and maybe oppress without having to go as far as that.

"Please feel free, my daughters. Your mother was a good woman and treated me with care that i wished i could pay back, not knowing that i'll live to pay her back one day." she said. Uju gave a wry smile.

"I'll like to leave now before it gets dark, please take good care of yourselves." Echezona excused and left. Uju and Ulumma waved back and went into the hut. The hut had a foul smell of an old woman, just like that of skunk. Uju and Ulumma helped and keep the place in order, the woman thanked them and brought them food, the food look as wack as the cook. It was a soup cooked with only utazi leaf, locust bean (ogiri), pepper and salt. The girls just ate a little just to please the woman, the content of the soup tasted raw with the G4rri made with half boiled water making some portion of it raw. This is the indeed the worst food tasted by them. They finished eating and went to bed in that same hut where they were entertained by their host mosquitoes which must have been tired of the old blood of a dying woman, and happy now to welcome fresh blood.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:33pm On May 21, 2013
[size=14pt]8[/size]

Ozala-Abo was a neighbouring village at the east of the Mmiri Adoko, the area of dispute between the people and the people of Umudioga village. Ozala as it was fondly called was small in land mass hence the reason for their begrudge on their neighbours possessions. They had engaged in incessant conflicts with villages they feel to be a peaceful one and perhaps a weak one too. They were made to leak their a$$ when they launched attack on Ohausara a very small village, little did they know that they had strong ally with the great Aro kingdom (Aro and Nri kingdoms were the greatest then) therefore leading to their heaviest defeat ever. Since then they had being calm for over ten years. No village sent any message of sympathy because of their ruthlessness.
After all these years, they felt they had recovered from the aftermath of their defeat, they deemed it the right time to achieve their aims, and their target was......................yes........Umudioga, the best option in at the moment, a kingdom with a weak ruler and weak army, without allies.
Ozalla has lost several wars to Umudioga but was during the days of Igwe Kalu predecessors.
Umudioga has gotten used to peace after a three score war-free years. This has reduced the efficiency of Umudioga army, and Igwe Kalu has done virtually nothing about this since his ascension to the throne, some ichies have expressed concern about it but he remained in continuous procrastination.
Igwe Konaso, Ozala's ruler sent spies to Umudioga boundary just close to Mmiri Adoko, where mostly young women and children were fetching water. The spies have being watching keenly for close to one hour waiting for an open chance to strike.
Arrrrrgghhh! one of the boys present screamed. Everyone turned their attention to where the young lad was, lo and behold he was stained in pool of blood with a barbed spear which had focally pierced through his chest.
Pandemonium broke out in the crowd, everyone looking for means to elude the horrorful scene, but it was too late, the attackers have besieged the riverside.
Two men that made attempt to escape were smitten instantly, the helpless villagers were unarmed to face their attackers, they had to surrender to their attackers. The youthful men were amputated, meanwhile the young women were molested and penetrated, some children were thrown into the river to drown.
One of the young women molested was Madueke's daughter, Mgborie, who came to take water from the river.
Mgborie was supposed to come to the river the day before but because of some family crisis, Akwanwa refused to come with her to the river.
Akwanwa was the only daughter Nwabiala born to Madueke, she was the dearest to Nwabiala, and also Madueke's favourite amongst his daughters because she was well cultured and brought up by her mother. She was a good cook and was humble, but blows up on anyone found guilty of saying ill of her mother or her father, this has been the reason why she had refused going to the river yesterday with her.
Akwanwa and Uju shared several similarities in features, but slighty in attitude. For example, both were fair, beautiful, curvaceous and slender, but Akwanwa was slightly thinner.
Though both bore no sentiments against each other, both also had no business together. They just greeted casually whenever they come across each other, of which Uju would initiate and Akwanwa reciprocate.
It was gonna be a tough choice for whoever wanted to choose amongst this two. Ifenna is a perfect example.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:37pm On May 21, 2013
Double post
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 12:58am On May 22, 2013
Double post eze, and come am tell me wetin d happen 2 uju's brother.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:54am On May 22, 2013
Damex333: Double post eze,
CORRECTED!
come am tell me wetin d happen 2 uju's brother.
*In Man's voice*
When we reach there, you go know. cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:59am On May 22, 2013
On the other hand, Mgborie was a tigress, especially in dispersing words when there are war of words. She had a strong revulsion for what she termed as 'woman slavery', she was rebellious just like her mother and she had told her mother on different occasion that never to let herself to be oppressed by her father. She had promised herself that her future husband will never humiliate her the way her father humiliates his wives. She was only two months older than Ulumma, Uju's sister. Akwanwa's beauty has made it look as if she was older than her. Akwanwa's beauty makes her look younger, making it difficult for an outsider to tell who's older between her and Mgborie, Mgborie wasn't bad in looks though.

The story of the whole scenario at the riverside had spread round the village like wildfire. The molested young ladies were now facing the trauma of losing 'woman dignity' to shabby men.
The never-say-die Mgborie wasn't left out of the trauma, she had nearly attempted suicide. Her dignity had been dragged in the mud, all her mother's effort to keep her from trouble had just crashed in one unlucky day.
Ahurone rained all the insults and blames on Madueke, and for the very first time, he didn't reciprocated. He felt guilt in his heart, he had forced Mgborie to go to the riverside that day after strong refusal from her the day before.
Madueke even threatened to lay a curse on her that will live long with her and her offsprings. Madueke was a blind man, he could do nothing more as of then, than to lay a curse or swear for anyone who disobeys. It was believed then that a father's curse is the worst thing that can happen to you, it was also believed that since a father brought a child to the world, he also has all the power to decide the child's destiny by his choice of word, even after his death, he also has power to control his child destiny after his death.
Madueke loved Mgborie just like any of his children, (though he loved Akwanwa most) and now he had led her to this, he thought. He felt guilty of the whole incidence, and blamed it all on himself.

"This is what my brother's witches had caused", he screamed aloud, "I wish i had my eyes, i would have teach these thugs the lesson of their life."

Though Nwabiala has always stand by Uju's side in all Madueke's treatment towards her, she had lost the like she had for Uju in few days. This time around she couldn't help but trust Madueke's story on his mysterious blindness. Same was the case with Akwamma, others were already enemies to Uju without cause.
Okala was an exception, he liked Uju and her sisters and he never wanted to believe his father's claim.
Even if they were witches, they didn't come to his house to haunt him, rather it was the other way round, he thought. He had known his father to be troublesome. He had promised himself to do his best to vindicate the innocently accused persons.
Madueke's family were the new occupants of Uju's father's house, they had expected them to be dead in a few days, probably after a death sentence have been granted to them or banishment to the evil isles.
Madueke's family fully took charge of Ararume properties, they took out every other belongings belonging to Uju and her sisters and burnt them to ashes, having in mind that all members of Ararume's family was gone.
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 8:35am On May 22, 2013
The wicked is reaping their wickedness........yet blaming it on others angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Literature/Writing Guidelines, Rules & Regulations / "I Love Macmillian Books" / Famous Books, Countries That Banned Them And Why It Was Banned.- Tapread.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.