Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,711 members, 7,879,109 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:42 PM

Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) (81975 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / How To Make Your Relaxed Hair Grow Longer And Fuller. / African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by dominique(f): 10:37pm On May 24, 2013
And I'm back cheesy. Picked up some intereting tips thus far. Are we supposed to completely stay off hair creams? I use meditrit which is just like damatol and I like the menthol effect. Used to use coconut oil but it made the hair even more bulky, so I had to stop. I may have to get the black tea if the hair starts to break (tho I won't mind cos its so darn full!). Any idea where its sold?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 11:21am On May 25, 2013
dominique: And I'm back cheesy. Picked up some intereting tips thus far. Are we supposed to completely stay off hair creams? I use meditrit which is just like damatol and I like the menthol effect. Used to use coconut oil but it made the hair even more bulky, so I had to stop. I may have to get the black tea if the hair starts to break (tho I won't mind cos its so darn full!). Any idea where its sold?

Hope you intend to deep condition on those wash days lots of deep conditioning
about hair creams just be wary of those that have petrolatum and mineral oil
and when your hair is not in braids or cornrows just do big plaits that way you can avoid the need to comb it and it tangles less.
i'd also advice you do regular trims of the ends its healthier and prevents split ends
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by dominique(f): 1:49pm On May 25, 2013
Thanks for the tips salsera. Of course, I'll be deep conditioning when I wash it. Deep conditioning has really helped to soften the hair but it still stiffens if I don't do it regularly. But I'm still not sure which treatment regimen to use in increasing the lenght. I have some placenta that I intend to put on it after washing and conditioning. Also, I'll be trimming it every 3 months. Hope that's enough.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Toyatc: 4:28pm On May 25, 2013
Nice, nice, nice thread. I usually stretch for 3 months, but now, i intend to stretch for 5 months. I would really love to go natural someday, but my hair is still very problematic.
The new regime i started early this month is: moisturise, seal and massage every other day, do the green house effect 3 times in a week, pre-shampoo every two weeks and then to alternate between big braids and wigs every month.

My products includes: Coconut oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil moisturising hair lotion, castor oil, honey and "emily millionaire coconut oil &herbs".

My hair still breaks, but having learnt of the protein treatment here, i intend to give it a try.Please can one get the black tea in our typical 9ja market?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 2:49am On May 27, 2013
Playgal: Please where can i get protein treatments for my hair and ORS (ORS relaxer & ORS protein)

[size=13pt]You can make your own protein treatment with avocado and egg. Try an avocado, a little honey, some olive oil, and an egg.[/size]
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by VOM: 12:33am On May 28, 2013
Waooooo. Nice thread. Thanks Op and everyone else that made inputs. I stretched for about 14wks before touching up last week. I used 2 eggs for protein treatment and also deep conditioned with avocado+cholesterol treatment. My hair feels and looks amazing. During the stretch, i was mostly in weaves and conrows and when i carried my hair, i always moisturise with water and seal with olive oil. I intend to braid next week. But will co wash and do a protein treatment before doing the braids. What i realised is that hair needs care. What we eat also plays a big role. I try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 12:09pm On Jun 03, 2013
very interesting thread.

i am currently in my 11th week . . . . post relaxer and so far, so good.

i am considering hanging on for another 9 weeks.

i use the following products for my hair. . .
1)herbal essence shampoo
2)herbal essence conditioner
3)dark and lovely ultra cholesterol hair conditioner for damaged hair
4)neutrogena's t-gel shampoo
5)organic root stimulator for dry, thirsty hair
6)extra virgin olive oil
7)100% pure tea tree oil

for the first 8weeks, i washed and conditioned my hair every week (sometimes twice a week, saturday and sunday). i noticed i had itchy/flakky scalp any week i did not wash my hair (dunno if it was due to the weather), so I had to use the t-gel shampoo. (the smell of the shampoo is horrible).

at the 9th week, i decided to try and see if i could alternate shampooing and co-washing weekly and so far so good.

i do the hot oil treatment (extra virgin olive oil, drops of tea tree oil and natural honey)any week I co-wash. i noticed that this has made my hair really soft and greatly reduced the shedding which had started in the 4th week. i would highly recommend this to anyone on this hair journey.

i have mixed extra virgin olive oil and drops of tea tree oil with the organic stimulator hair cream and i apply that on my hair daily.

i have stayed off braids, cornrows and weaves. i either style my natural hair or use clip in hair extensions. most times, i let my hair dry naturally without using the blow dryer and very few times, i have used the hair straightner.

i have read great reviews about jamacian castor oil and coconut oil (for the hot oil treatment) and i am thinking of trying both.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by dominique(f): 12:27pm On Jun 03, 2013
I'm on week 2 post relaxer and on cornrows. Will be washing and treating sometime next week. Any idea if black tea is sold in Lagos?

ogugua88:

[size=13pt]You can make your own protein treatment with avocado and egg. Try an avocado, a little honey, some olive oil, and an egg.[/size]

This treatment, can it be stored or should be used all at once?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by VOM: 9:41am On Jun 04, 2013
You can store it by placing in a plastic container with tight lid and store in the freezer for even up to a month. When you want to use simply defrost and use. But dont store more that what you can use at once. Pls ladies what do you think.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 04, 2013
^^ Correctish lol.

I'm a stickler though. I don't like freezing eggs or anything with uncooked egg because I'm afraid the texture will change... I've never tried freezing. I just make small batches.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 9:26am On Jun 05, 2013
When adding Eggs to make your protein treatment , i often get rid of the yolk.

it doesn't do much for my hair anyways.
(crack a little hole on the egg shell and let the egg white slime out grin)

here's my protein mixture.

2 table spoon of Mayonnaise ( the one used in salad dressing)

4 - 5 table spoon of melted shea butter ( local shea butter not the fancy labelled ones in a jar)

2 table spoon of olive oil

2 table spoon of coconut oil

2 eggs, ( egg whites or albumen)

mix thoroughly and apply generously,

my hair has got lots of volume so it just drinks it all up

If your hair isn't that full , you can just reduce everything here to half so it doesn't clump up.

doing the relaxer stretch thing is normal for me as i have been doing it for the past 12 to 14 years now,its what has retained my black hair colour and given it much volume .Sometimes my front hair become so full and kinky it almost curls up to my eye brows. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 1:39pm On Jun 05, 2013
uzoo:

here's my protein mixture.

2 table spoon of Mayonnaise ( the one used in salad dressing)

4 - 5 table spoon of melted shea butter ( local shea butter not the fancy labelled ones in a jar)

2 table spoon of olive oil

2 table spoon of coconut oil

2 eggs, ( egg whites or albumen)

mix thoroughly and apply generously,

i will try this mix.

how often do you apply this on your hair? do you shampoo your hair after or just cowash?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 5:24pm On Jun 05, 2013
funkybaby:

i will try this mix.

how often do you apply this on your hair? do you shampoo your hair after or just cowash?

I do this once a week, usually at night,(i also use Almond oil sometimes to replace olive oil)and then Co-wash in the morning.Co- washing Is usually every 2 to 3 days.
Like i said it can get a bit sticky ,oily and even dripping all the way down to your neck if you apply too much to the hair.

I just started my hair growth all over again after experiencing a huge breakage last year.

you can read all about my hair routine here.. http://productsthatactuallydowork..com/p/hair-w.html

After my relaxer this month my next step is to treat and grow my hair from within.So that even when i can't keep up with this hair regimen, i am assured that the vitamins i take will take care of it.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by sweetmay2006(f): 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2013
Yvete: Up for the challenge.

My hair is past shoulder length, very coarse yaki-like texture (4c) and very black (color 1). I have good hair grin
I'm about 3 months post relaxer and did a 6 months stretch sometime last year. Now that's one horrible experience that I will NEVER repeat. I think 3 months

stretch is perfect for starters anyways. I wear my hair in a ponytail with edge control and wear half wigs as well.

My regimen:
Jamaican Black Castor Oil mixed with Organic Coconut Oil (for scalp),
Wash hair every sunday night with Elasta QP Creme conditioning Shampoo,
Aphogee 2min reconstructor (with shower cap for 5 minutes),
Creme of Nature Moisturing Conditioner + Raw Honey + Egg yolk + coconut Oil (leave in for 45 minutes then wash)
No heat ... No blowdryers I use the T-shirt method
Neutrogena leave-in creme or Wave Nouveau Moisturizing lotion for everyday use.

Shikena ... My hair has been growing like a weed. I may upload pictures since I started all over in 2011... if I find a way to hide my face. grin
Pls where can I get dat castor oil
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by missHadassah: 9:00am On Jun 06, 2013
Hi. I'm really confuse. Well, my hair used to be very dark and long but its a different story now cus of my change in relaxer... Don't know the relaxer to stick on and please what can I do to have my lond dark hair back? Thanks
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 9:45am On Jun 06, 2013
sweetmay_2006:

check online - amazon's website
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 9:45am On Jun 06, 2013
uzoo:

I do this once a week, usually at night,(i also use Almond oil sometimes to replace olive oil)and then Co-wash in the morning.Co- washing Is usually every 2 to 3 days.
Like i said it can get a bit sticky ,oily and even dripping all the way down to your neck if you apply too much to the hair.

I just started my hair growth all over again after experiencing a huge breakage last year.

you can read all about my hair routine here.. http://productsthatactuallydowork..com/p/hair-w.html

After my relaxer this month my next step is to treat and grow my hair from within.So that even when i can't keep up with this hair regimen, i am assured that the vitamins i take will take care of it.

okay. thanks
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by sweetcheecks(f): 10:58am On Jun 06, 2013
BagLova:

welcome to the thread. the products you have are good and make sure you get a good moisturizer that fits your hair type. Theyre different products for different hair type. Also some pple make the mistake of over moisturizing their hair. protein or miosture overload will cause hair breakage.

Thanks Baglova for the welcome. I ended up not braiding my hair as yet. I have a problem with a very sensitive scalp. I tend to burn very quickly when i relax and as result have scales and eachy scalp so I decided to treat my svalp and allow atleast two months before i braid it. For now i have be platting my hair but my hair growth is getting thicker and thicker and i know its going to be very painful for me to braid with my current hair growth status so am thinking of relaxing again the n put braids. Do you think its a good idea? And no I will not be able to withstandbraiding with my current hair growth my scalp is to sensitive and i can stand the pain it touches my nerves and am un able to sleep or relax.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 11:27am On Jun 06, 2013
sweetmay_2006:

Any good Pharmacy in lagos should have castor oil.

MED PLUS pharmacy,
HEALTH PLUS Pharmacy

you can also get it at the pharmacy at SPAR (PARK N SHOP) in Lekki, Ground floor.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Msbeautiful211: 7:46am On Jun 07, 2013
Well I can say I been post relaxer for 10months and I can say it did get very easy for me to do it and since I have super thick hair I always keep my hair up in braids or different hairstyles and then .when I get ready to take it out I like my hair breath for another without know braids but if you guys are looking for a really great moisture you the Shea butter moisture and for deep conditioner treatment you the dr miracle .I just that sometimes every 3 months but sometimes really I don't put a deep conditioner treatment on my head that much but if you guts have any questions for ask .
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Msbeautiful211: 7:55am On Jun 07, 2013
Well I can say I been post relaxer for 10months and I can say it did get very easy for me to do it and since I have super thick hair I always keep my hair up in braids or different hairstyles and then .when I get ready to take it out I like my hair breath for another month without braids but if you guys are looking for a really great moisture you the Shea butter moisture and for deep conditioner treatment you the dr miracle .I just that sometimes every 3 months but sometimes really I don't put a deep conditioner treatment on my head that much but if you guts have any questions for ask .
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:53am On Jun 09, 2013
dominique: I'm on week 2 post relaxer and on cornrows. Will be washing and treating sometime next week. Any idea if black tea is sold in Lagos?

Dominique, please don't let the word BLACK TEA confuse you. Lipton, Top tea etc are all black tea. Black tea is a generic name while the ones I mentioned are product names.

dominique: This treatment, can it be stored or should be used all at once?

It can be stored but ensure your electricity supply is constant else it will spoil. I'll advise you prepare the one you can use at a time.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:20am On Jun 09, 2013
uzoo: When adding Eggs to make your protein treatment , i often get rid of the yolk.

it doesn't do much for my hair anyways.
(crack a little hole on the egg shell and let the egg white slime out grin)

Uzoo, for the protein treatment I did(1st time in a loooooonnnngggg while), I used the whole egg and shea butter only. I could have added other natural stuffs but I only wanted to use these two and my hair came out fine.

I did it on my braided hair(without extensions), which was due for washing(dirty). I used plastic/nylons bags to cover my hair and wrapped it with pashmina to help trap in heat and washed it off with black soap shampoo(dudu osun dissolved in water).

I didn't do deep conditioning cos protein treatment was on my mind. I'll do that much later. Too much touchy touchy disturbs the hair IMO. Once I apply shea butter, I'm okay.

While still damp, I applied shea butter to moisturise. When it was getting dried but a little bit damp, I started loosening the braids. I enjoy loosening my hair while a little bit damp, it makes it easy to handle the natural part.

I did the protein treatment to strengthen the hair and help reduce breakage. I sprayed water to help soften the natural hair, working(massaging) it to loosen the matted(hair joined together including the shed ones) and applied shea to make it soft and comb-able.

As I massaged, the matted part loosen and the shed hair came off. I ensured I combed the lower relaxed ends first gently to pave way for smooth massaging and combing.

For those having scattered and thinning ends, I advise you cut the weak ends off to have a healthy hair. Hair health before hair length. Once your hair is healthy, length is no problem.

Also, eat foods that support hair growth and health including supplements. I take natural yeast(contains Vitamin A & E), Folic acid + Vitamin B12, Vitamin C. I wish to get biotin but I haven't been able to so I get mine from egg yolk, not forgetting water too.

The key to maintaining our hair is less handling and manipulation. When I loosen my hair, I comb section by section and have them in braids(calaba style) till I'm ready on what next to do with the hair.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 9:02am On Jun 11, 2013
uzoo: When adding Eggs to make your protein treatment , i often get rid of the yolk.

shocked I get rid of the egg whites and use yolks only. Don't you get a white-ish leftover from the egg stuck on your hair? A friend of mine tried it and complained about the smell of egg white even post-condish. It bothered her. lolz
sweetmay_2006: Pls where can I get dat castor oil

Most Caribbean stores sell castor oil - check your neighborhood. I purchase mine on Amazon. It's very thick & lasts a long time because I mix it with coconut oil in a separate cup.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 2:51am On Jun 12, 2013
Where do you guys get the time for all this stuff sad...
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 10:25am On Jun 12, 2013
Yvete:

shocked I get rid of the egg whites and use yolks only. Don't you get a white-ish leftover from the egg stuck on your hair? A friend of mine tried it and complained about the smell of egg white even post-condish. It bothered her. lolz

Most Caribbean stores sell castor oil - check your neighborhood. I purchase mine on Amazon. It's very thick & lasts a long time because I mix it with coconut oil in a separate cup.

@Yvete

For the egg white you only need a little , (that's the actual protein in an egg) That is why you have to crack a little hole and allow for a lil quantity to slime out , Not the entire thing.

Most times i really don't bother with the yolk 'cos it makes my already full and voluminous hair too full and coarse ,making it difficult to smooth out when i'm done,especially at the edges.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 23, 2013
How is everyone's stretch coming along?? I need to get a perm by weekend. My roots are full & tight.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Playgal(f): 5:39pm On Jun 24, 2013
nice thread here, its been almost eighteen years of relaxing and i think the hair is tired of too much chemicals, i intend scrapping the hair skin and start all over again. I really need your advice on what to do. My relaxed hair is up to my shoulders now but the frontal is another Mama Eko (all chopped off). Please can i really go ahead with the scapping and how well can i keep it and make the frontal as strong as the other parts? I need answers asap,
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by jessyz(f): 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2013
After applying the protein treatment, how long do u live it on your hair before washing it off. Do you use cold or hot water in washing it off?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
jessyz: After applying the protein treatment, how long do u live it on your hair before washing it off. Do you use cold or hot water in washing it off?

It depends on you; I left mine for 3hrs cos I was doing house chores, which lasted for that duration. So yours might be 30mins, 1 hour or more.

If using live eggs, please use cold water; using hot/warm water will cause the egg to coagulate, that is to cook sort of making it difficult to rinse out.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
6 months and 8 days for me. Still counting!

I.Joan:
Where do you guys get the time for all this stuff sad...

I know lol. I usually have to dedicate a day just for my hair, otherwise it'll never be done.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 9:47pm On Jun 25, 2013
My 14th week in.....

I'm considering doing the big chop undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Bullied For Wearing This Short Dress To A Wedding / See What This Lady Wore To The Bank That Sparked Outrage (pic, Video) / Natasha Crown: I Want To Have The World’s Biggest Bum"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.