Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,357 members, 7,888,133 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:09 PM

Idols Is Back! (East Africa) - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Idols Is Back! (East Africa) (17852 Views)

Mercy Emerges Winner Of Nigerian Idols 2012 / Celebrities At Nigerian Idols Premiere Episode Screening / Is Anyone Watching Nigerian Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by uche1(m): 10:21am On May 19, 2008
These Idols can't compare to the WEST AFRICAN IDOLS, Who can honestly compete with the likes of TIMI,
Sorry but we have much better talent,

lawyerchap good to see you guys again, grin grin
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Modups1(f): 12:06pm On May 19, 2008
erik & adiona were d best of thier group no doubt bout it

is it me or do most of these contestants dont seem to have good dress sense embarassed undecided
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 4:02pm On May 19, 2008
Samukeliso let me down so hard my joints are still aching from the impact. She took so many liberties with the Bon Jovi song that it was almost criminal. She's going to deny Africa the opportunity of hearing that wonderful voice again. But i suspect its Africa's loss.

Nicolette, Eric and Adiona are Top10 contenders from that group and they will all make it into the top10 eventually. Nicolette is the best singer from that group, speaking from a technical point of view. Her control is impeccable, her range is very expansive and her notes, high or low, are pure. But i wished she would have grabbed that microphone and involved the crowd more in her performance. Adiona on the other hand delivered a very lively performance that is more likely to be remembered than Nicolette's flawless and polished performance, and that may be Nicolette's undoing tonight.

But whoever doesn't get through tonight among those three will still make it through on the judges wildcard. So look forward to seeing Nicolette, Adiona and Eric in the Top10.

@Uche1
Great to see you again bro.

@Modups!
Longtime. What's up with you? Actually the contestants are still wearing their own clothes. At top10 stage they will be clothed by some fashion brand, as was done in our own version. But you're right, their dress sense leaves much to be desired.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by ladybam(f): 4:42pm On May 19, 2008
I love that Nicollette gal.hope she qualifies for the top 10.she is very good.and Eric too.but Nicollette is my first pick.she has a special and unique type of voice.she is my first choice.there are other good talents in this group.infact the group was absolutely magnificient.they were worth watching.but, NICOLLETTE AND ERIC FOR THE TOP 10.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Modups1(f): 5:31pm On May 19, 2008
@lawyerchap
am great, not been watching idols as frequently, am waiting for d top 10
enjoying ur analysis as always wink
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by JUNIT1(m): 12:00pm On May 22, 2008
the only, only onllllllllllllllllllllllly, person i can recommend to win this shitis, eric at least he could have mad the top 80 of nigerian idols.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 4:03pm On May 23, 2008
J UNIT:

the only, only onllllllllllllllllllllllly, person i can recommend to win this shitis, eric at least he could have mad the top 80 of nigerian idols.

You obviously don't know about Ammara Brown. So you're forgiven for that. wink

Meantime, look out for Debra Chansa and Samantha Trivachio on Sunday.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by maasai1(m): 4:23pm On May 23, 2008
Yea samantha is someone to watch out for. Adiona was hot. She sounded like shes been working her voice for like what, 20yrs, and yet shes only 19. She reminds me of Joss Stone one of my favourites. I hope they bring her back. Man people from zim realy rock.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 6:41pm On May 25, 2008
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I'm watching right now, and someone just MURDERED Aerosmith's "I dont want to miss a thing" and got mad aplause from the crowd and the judges shocked!WTF?IT was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked grin grin

Yuck!!!!!
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by eezzy(f): 10:36am On May 26, 2008
My only dissapointment is Semukeliso. The girl has the voice and a ton
of talent. My prayer is that she will be given another chance.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Modups1(f): 11:36am On May 26, 2008
KikiDixy:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I'm watching right now, and someone just MURDERED Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" and got mad aplause from the crowd and the judges shocked!WTF?IT was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked grin grin

Yuck!!!!!

oh come on, she did well just dat her accent kind of affected the song
she has a strong voice & like she was advised, she should not get carried away with d crowd reaction
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by uchetobi(f): 1:07pm On May 26, 2008
updates pls
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by tessybaby(f): 2:03pm On May 26, 2008
KikiDixy:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I'm watching right now, and someone just MURDERED Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" and got mad aplause from the crowd and the judges shocked!WTF?IT was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked grin grin

Yuck!!!!!

kiki

Do u know what u are talking about?
dat girl has got a wonderful and unique voice and she she
sang so well just dat she was carried away by the crowd.

@ eezy
dats true i will miss samukeliso too
she has a great voice
uche1:

These Idols can't compare to the WEST AFRICAN IDOLS, Who can honestly compete with the likes of TIMI,
Sorry but we have much better talent,

lawyerchap good to see you guys again, grin grin

U think so?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by priscilla1: 8:39am On May 27, 2008
wow 6/10 in the top ten thi is going to be a ZIM affair. Zimbabwe has talent fo sure kiss
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by KikiDixy(f): 4:16pm On May 27, 2008
I'm sorry, it was HORRIBLE shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's not singing, neither does she have a strong voice and I hope she didnt get through to the next round
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 11:59am On Jun 03, 2008
The first Idols East Africa Spectacular started first with a bang as we were introduced to the beautiful new stage with all the flashing LCD screens (there must have been at least twenty of them. There should be a warning for epileptics not to watch those shows.) . But the bang quickly died down to a whimper as the first performer was introduced. It was Cynthia, unarguably the worst singer of the Top10 currently. Looking great as usual, her lame performance of Donna Summer’s Last Dance failed to ignite the night and got me wondering how she actually made it through the theatre auditions. She sounded off-key in half the song and the other half there was absolutely no voice control. From the moment she put down the mic, she herself must have known she was Bottom Three material, even before the others had performed.

Mkululi had nothing nice to say about his fellow contestants at the theatre stage of the auditions and that made me instantly dislike him. He came across as someone who felt he was better than everyone else. In the tiny country known as Papua New Guinea, that would be called arrogance. And I agree. But now I have a grudging respect for the boy after Sunday’s Spectacular. He performed Lionel Richie’s Stuck on You and I must say, he’s got a voice on him, and he knows it. Call it arrogance if you like. A truly beautiful performance of a great song, he got the crowd going (finally) with his sonorous voice. He kept his notes pure and managed his voice excellently to fit the wandering scales of the song. He’s made a believer out of me.

Everyone has been worried about Christine’s heavily accented voice. It surely had to be hell to sing in such a voice and be judged on pronunciation rather than on technical quality. It just seems a mite unfair.   Kikidixy absolutely hated that voice and, after Sunday’s Spectacular, it turns out she was absolutely right. Christine’s performance of Mariah Carey’s “Can’t Live Without You” belonged on a soundtrack of a horror movie. When you take on a song by a diva with a five octave voice range, you had better prepare for the highest of high notes and the lowest of low notes. Christine showed us that she could hit those high notes, but not before she had showed us her truly frightening low notes. It was torture to listen to, believe me. Everyone in the arena must have been squirming in their seats. I know I was. It was a dismal performance. Even Cynthia could have breathed a sigh of relief after that.

Faycal was up next with another Lionel Richie song. This time it was “Hello.” Faycal didn’t truly belong in the top10, but gender balance put him through and it showed on the night. Singing nasally and trying to play to the females in the audience by blowing kisses and addressing them (to the exclusion of the guys. What’s up with that?) he seemed too contrived and came across as somewhat insincere. The performance didn’t get anyone jumping up and down in excitement, though he did throw in a twist in his performance by singing some parts of the song in Swahili.  It wasn’t enough to rescue what was really an insipid performance by a less than gifted performer.

Then came wildcard Adiona with a truly puzzling mix of song choice and wardrobe. She had elected to sing Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” and chose to wear a knee length skirt and a yellow top (totally unBeyonce-like). But the surprises didn’t stop there. The arrangement of the song sounded strangely empty, sort of like a singer/songwriter setting where there is only minimal musical accompaniment and that didn’t help the performance at all. But was she done surprising me? Hell no. She came on stage and sounded like she was out of breath from the very first note.  I watched the entire performance with raised eyebrows. Was this the same Adiona who had wowed the crowd at top24 stage? I didn’t like the performance at all because I think it was a wrong choice of song for her. But she’s still a great performer anyday.

And then Trinah. Good heavens, Trinah. Singing Janet Jackson’s “Together Again” in that sultry voice, she finally lit up the Spectacular from the right place, the stage. The arena jumped into life as she took the song places that would have surprised Janet herself. When she began, I couldn’t quite follow the melody and so didn’t recognize the song. I think the same thing happened with the live audience. But as soon as she hit the chorus, the whole place erupted. And Trinah knows how to belt out a song, so once she got the crowd going, she pulled out all the stops doing riffs and runs in exactly the right places. The finish was almost orgasmic. Performance of the night for me, without a doubt.

Nicolette is the most polished singer of the Top10. I mean, she is a concert violinist so you can imagine what her musical tastes must be like. But she is making a grave mistake by judging Africa by her own high standards. She chose to do L.O.V.E. by Natalie Cole, a very cabaret-ish song which perfectly fits her jazz-singer persona but which would fly right over the heads of watching Africans. She performed the song perfectly, with the whole cabaret attitude and I was enthralled. But apparently I was alone because the judges said some very uncomplimentary things about her performance not knowing they were showing themselves up as musical semi-literates. That being said, Nicolette needs to go more mainstream or she will have a rather short stay in the Top10.

Samantha Trivachio picked a Whitney Houston song! Don’t they ever learn? Whitney, Mariah, Alicia, Beyonce, : don’t go there. But she did and very nearly got away with it. Holding her notes in check for the first half of the song, Samantha’s voice shone through the song and it looked like she was going to make a clean job of it. But then she decided to start wandering the scales like a diva. Didn’t work. Result? She took the shine off her own performance.

Eric of the afro came on stage singing “Signed Sealed Delivered”and boy, did he deliver. He got the crowd’s participation very early in his performance and they stayed with him throughout. Great voice, wonderful stage presence, my only problem is, I don’t know if I’d buy a record by Eric. He seems to be all performance and very little real singing. I wonder what he’d sound like in the studio. Anyway, the crowd loved him and so did the judges. Great performance.

Ammara sang Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” a song I frankly hate. Again, I think it was a wrong song choice for Ammara because she is the quintessential Hiphop/RnB singer, but she hasn’t got an ounce of soul in her body. She had absolutely no business doing a song by the queen of soul. She was always going to underperform. And I think she did. She couldn’t quite carry off the song the way Jodie did in the West African edition, perhaps because we are yet to see a softer balladsy side of her and so cannot quite associate her with soul. Consequently she looked somewhat like Enya singing an Evanescence song. But she’s got the voice to sing any song (as opposed to ‘carrying’ the song) and for the most part, she can fool people into thinking that whatever she sings sounds the way it does because she intends it to sound that way. And she got away with it on the night.

The results show was a really mixed bag. Top 3 were Eric, Ammara and Trinah. No surprises there. Bottom 3? Now that’s where there were surprises aplenty. Faycal, Christine and, horror of horrors, Nicolette made up the Bottom 3. Where the heck was Cynthia? Sitting on the safe side with the real singers. Now, Cynthia is from a very well-off family and I strongly suspect that there’s more than her looks keeping her in the competition as it is definitely not the singing. I think there is a voting syndicate behind Cynthia much the way Temitayo stumbled all the way to the top4 in the West African edition courtesy of some serious syndicate voting. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cynthia make it to the top5.

But Nicolette in the Bottom 3? Come on East Africa, you guys are pretty short on talent yet you cannot recognize it when you see it. What’s up with that? Faycal and Christine deserved their places in the bottom3 but I don’t think Nicolette belonged there.

Christine finally became the first to take the walk of shame as she was the idol with the least votes. I suspect independent judge Kaweeso’s remarks had everything to do with that. He said after the Sunday Spectacular that Africa should not encourage trash and should vote off Christine. It was such a vitriolic attack that even Scar cringed at the venom in the remark. Well, seems Africa listened.

Looking forward to the next Spectacular on Sunday. In an ideal situation, Cynthia should be the next to receive marching orders from Africa, but with the present voting format of Idols that allows a well-heeled contestant to practically buy the title, the situation is anything but ideal.

Let’s see how this plays out, shall we?

Peace Out.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 5:36pm On Jun 05, 2008
LC, top analysis!!!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T to you!!!!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Modups1(f): 8:46am On Jun 06, 2008
i've always wondered bout dat independent judge
are his comments really necessary? he gets on my nerves tongue angry
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2008
Modups

i wonder o!

i'm surprised that he's allowed to give such comments on tv

even when i agree with them, he cud at least be less scathing

But I still think Scar is da man

my thots on todays performance
ADIONA - she redeemed herself with the 'everywoman' song, i thot is was a great song choice for her

NICOLLETTE - i thot it was a great song choice and was actually looking forward to a good performance, then nicollette just went overboard when she changed the chords it just spoilt it

ERIC - was cool, it maybe because i like the song 'i heard it through the grapevine'

SAMANTHA - I like this chic and i feel she could be fantastic, but she needs to work on her breathing and stamina. she can rarely finish a song without failin as she hears the end

TRINAH - she's my girl any day but i couldnt help wishing David cook did a rock version of that song give me a couple of minutes to swoon for my guy okay i'm back. Trinah should be careful though and be constantly innovative. hey i saw the girl on one gospel o! she dye one group like dat

But the clothes are improving now chei!
see baffs that i want to steal, pilfer, swap etcetcetc
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 3:46pm On Jun 10, 2008
Missed both the Sunday Spectacular as well as the Monday Results Show. No thanks to work. But Salsera gave us a bit of an analysis. (Thanks Girl. kiss). Learnt Faycal has been booted off the show while Cynthia wasn't even in the Bottom three. Well, it seems like Jerrilyn and Temitayo all over again. Never did feel faycal much so i'm kind of not surprised he's gone. But Cynthia's escapes are beginning to boggle the mind. Surely next Monday, you feel. But like i said before, she could just make the Top5.

That would be a travesty indeed.

By the way, where is everybody?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Beamer: 6:30pm On Jun 10, 2008
LC, this was my pre-show summary

The Top Nine Show

So I arrived at Bomas with a trash bin which I was hoping to present to Kawesa but the bouncers were not seeing the funny bit. Sorry Mr. Environment aka Kawesa. This inspiration was when I actually saw a huge billboard of the City Council of Nairobi stating that we should keep the City clean. No trash in the top 10.

So if Cynthia is voted off this show, I will just host up a placard saying: THIS IS A TRASH FREE ZONE.

First up, the cocktail moment. For some reason, the event organizers have calculated that the traffic snarl up to Bomas ensures you are seated for an hour when getting there so you have to stand for an hour before you get into the theatre. But how time crawls when you are waiting for the show!

With a Fan Lounge ticket, it was always great to know I had an up-close view of the contestants. But the male to female ratio on the Lounge was 2:14. C’mon brothers. Represent! That is one less than the male contestants. I kept my wise counsel even as the gals screamed loudest when Scar made an appearance!

Lebo competed with Scar for the loudest cheers and I think Lebo just edged out Scar by one female vote. ‘I ONLY CAME TO SEE LEBO!’ said the gal next to me when she saw my puzzled look. Later in the show, a LEBO FOR PRESIDENT slogan went up eliciting shouts of ‘LEBO! LEBO! LEBO!’ from the gals. Thank God they didn’t put up a LEBO FOR HUSBAND slogan. I mean, a whole hour of listening to things like ‘If Lebo looks my way, I will send God a bottle of wine…’ and the gals ignoring my pleas of ‘I am here, gals’

If some people only came to see Lebo, they still had to sit through the nine contestants performances.

Ammara was first up. Everybody expects too much of the gal and rates her on a super status and not the normal status. She was alright.

Cynthia looked dashing in that black dress. ‘I only came to see Cynthia,’ I teased but was told that this was the last time I was seeing her whilst Lebo will be there till the end of the show. But as she sang, my mind drifted away… back in time. Please tell me the police are still looking for the bus driver who took Cynthia to Uganda for the auditions. Why didn’t the bus break down at the Busia border? Why didn’t the driver forget to fuel? Why? Why? Why?

Lebo aside, the only serious presidential material on stage all night was Eric. So when Comrade Bob is tired of running (Fake Editors note: ruining?) that country, he can pass the reigns to this comrade. Great performance and great effect on the crowd.

Scar thinks there are two types of singers. Those who love chocolates and bitches. Just kidding. (Scar actually said there are two types of singers. Those who scrape a living singing at weddings and bars; and then there are those who sell CDs. Eric, you belong to the second category)

Faycal did a bump and grind number that seemed to get on Scar’s nerves. Lebo even thought the evil J word was in play when Scar assessed the do.

Speaking of Judges, Angela was having moments after moments. She had her Radio DJ moments. She had her History Teacher routine after each song. She also had an Imelda Marcos moment when she saw Sam’s shoes. There isn’t a shoe Angie hasn’t wanted to put her feet in.

Nikki’s nerves improved according to Scar and she did NOT violently kill that song. She did it softly. As Johan Van Der Walt would say: Violins is never the answer! There was no violence. Just poisoned it. Sweetly smiled at it and just smothered it to death. I love this gal’s smile but she needs to step it up.

Mkhululi’s future is bright. So was his suit. For those who believe the only time a man should wear a white suit is at his funeral or when invited to P Diddy’s bash, this wasn’t working. His performance last week had been powerful so if you judge it based on last week’s performance, he dipped a bit.

Speaking of judging people on last weeks performances, Trinah did well as usual. This gal has a powerful voice and she was definitely born to sing. Her rendition of the First Cut Is The Deepest was superb.

You can check it out here,

http://www./video/x5q5u1_trinah-the-first-cut-is-the-deepest_shortfilms

Adiona was terrific and in a funny transposition of opposites, when she sings a song like ‘Am Every Woman’, every man wants to vote for her. This performance showed the judges did not waste the Wild Card… rather the mistakes were made by the voters who pushed some contestants to the Top 10.

Sam closed the show with a lot of vigorous dancing that left her breathless but which did not take Scar’s breath away. Of course Angie loved her outfit which was nothing to blog about. I Love Me Sam Her, but she really needs to step up.

My rating of the nine from best to worst was: TRINA, ERIC, ADIONA, AMMARA, MKHULULI, SAMANTHA, NICOLETTE, FAYCAL and CYNTHIA.

Kawesa has been getting boos from the crowd but he elicited laughter with his comment about Cynthia. This may be the Top Nine but it is Cynthia who has proved she has nine lives. Can she find herself in the Top 8? Keep watching.

As it turns out, if you ignore the mysterious Cynthia who couldn't sing at all, I had the bottom three correct as Samantha was the lsecond last safe person whilst Nicolette was in the bottom two as Faycal walked
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 1:56am On Jun 11, 2008
nice one Beamer
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 12:08pm On Jun 11, 2008
@Beamer,
Excellent write up. My hat's off to you.

@Kaydee
How far? Long time.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 11:19pm On Jun 11, 2008
lawyerchap:

@Kaydee
How far? Long time.

LC, I made attempts to contact U on ur B-day but my Internet connection messed me up.Happy Belated B-day.Hope chops remain for me?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 13, 2008
Beamer

Thanks

I like lebo and Scar, forgive me its the schoolgirl in me

But those girls took it a little too far

you know i was just about to comment on Angela's history lessons too LOL!

maybe we should start downplaying cynthia's performances, you know give her abyssmal performances less publicity. it seems some voters are just voting for the underdog undecided
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by anongal: 11:59am On Jun 16, 2008
Amara is the bomb. but Adiona might beat her coz adoina has a unique vioce. i really felt Amarra yest sha she looked da bomb. wats the name of the gal who sang Evanessensethat gal can sing o
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Zizi(f): 10:21am On Jun 17, 2008
Trinah's rendition of Faith Hill's Cry gave me goose pimples!!!!!!! The girl can sing joo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amarah murdered Celin Dion's I surrender. The girl lacks soul in her performance. The babe that sang evanessence hmmmmmmmmmmm started well and went off key. The others are all dry!!!!!!!!! Cynthia should be voted off. The girl cannot even sing to save her life. T U F I A!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 10:50am On Jun 17, 2008
The Top 8 Spectacular was exactly that: Spectacular. There were simply no half measures on the night. Those that were good were spectacularly good and those that were bad were spectacularly bad. Even the clothes were spectacular, the judges comments were spectacular, Kaweeso was spectacular in his stupidity, lebo was spectacular in his presentation of the show. Everything was simply off the hook. They even managed to arrange the performances in the right order with Eric opening and Trinah closing the show guaranteeing two great highs.

Eric’s opening was excellent and set the tone for what would be a truly phenomenal night. He sang Mary Mary’s “Can’t give up now” apparently a very popular song in East Africa as it was a perennial favourite during the auditions. Finally I got to hear Eric sing rather than perform and he wasn’t half bad. His voice is rich with a sonorous timbre that quickly deepens to a gruff back-of-the-throat growl when he engages ‘perform-mode’ and though this serves to add pizzazz to his performances, he does tend to overdo it from time to time. He may have overdone it on the night but no one seemed to notice. Except evil Scar. Scar took time out to inform him that there is a thin line between confidence which will get the fans screaming and swooning, and cockiness which will get them turned off. Well, everyone seems to still be screaming and swooning, so no harm done. Yet.

Samantha Trivachio (who I think has the perfect name for an artiste) has tons of talent though we hadn’t quite seen her explode with a performance. Well, the explosion finally happened with Pink’s “Who Knew.” I mean, who knew Samantha was such a rocker? With all the right moves behind the microphone, she took that song and rocked the house with it. I could actually imagine a band around her with the acoustic guitars going gaga and the drum riffs running riot. Samantha may actually be a genuine star in the making. Totally loved her performance.

Then the mood dipped a bit with Adiona singing Stranger in my House. She seemed like a stranger on the stage, just singing the song almost listlessly and not putting any real emotion into what is an achingly emotional song. She seemed like she was focused on remembering her lyrics and forgot to sing the song. And what’s with the breathlessness? She seemed out of breath yet again. I’m beginning to suspect that she gets nerves whenever she gets on that stage and that is so not a sign of a great performer. Her stay on Idols might just be shorter than we expect.

And then came the ultimate mood-killer Cynthia. In scar’s words “why does she do this to herself? She should just quit already.” She ‘talked’ us through a horribly mutilated version of India Arie’s ‘Video’ in the worst top10 performance in any Idols competition, I’m sure. What’s with Cynthia? So good-looking and so talentless. She gets full marks for courage though, as it takes stern stuff to come before the whole of Africa and thoroughly disgrace yourself week after week. But this has to be her last performance. Simply has to be.

It was up to Mkululi to revive the stone-dead mood in the house and he made a truly valiant effort with Nick Lachey’s ‘What’s left of me.’ But truth be told, he simply is not a rocker and his voice made an RnB song out of a rock gem. I wasn’t impressed, not because he’s not a good singer but because I think it was a poor song choice. He did manage to get a weak pulse going though.

But it was much maligned Nicolette who got our hearts pumping again. When Lebo announced that Nicolette and Ammara would be doing songs from Evanescence and Celine Dion, I so wanted the Evanescence song for Ammara but it turned out it was Nicolette who had made the most inspired song choice of the night. Singing the Goth-rock ballad “My Immortal” on her knees, Nicolette showed us that she can sing. Her voice shone like a million stars as she easily carried the haunting melody made famous by the one-in-six-billion voice of Amy Lee, lead singer of Evanescence. As can be expected, she missed a few notes when she got to her feet, but I cut her some slack merely because she had the heart to take on one of the world’s most unique voices and one of the world’s most powerful singers. Kaweeso Richards was enthralled, as was everyone across Africa, I suspect. The house went wild for Nicolette and I smiled knowing she had finally gotten the recognition of her talent that she so deeply craved. Contender for performance of the night for me.

I’ve made no bones about the fact that I am secretly rooting for Ammara to win this thing. She’s pretty, she’s sexy, she’s phenomenally gifted with an amazing voice that she knows exactly how to use. She came almost fully made to be a star. But that’s just me. Back to the spectacular. Nicolette’s performance was going to be a tough act to follow and there could be no room for error if the suddenly upbeat mood in the house was going to be sustained. There was none better to give it a shot than Ammara. Singing a Celine Dion song ‘I Surrender’ she sent me introductory Goosebumps with the purity of her opening notes. It was so clear that I couldn’t imagine that it was a Celine Dion song (I know that’s somehow twisted). She kept at that song with such passion that I had to shut my eyes to make sure I was not rooting for just a sexy girl in a nice dress. But with my eyes shut the music sounded even better (if that’s at all possible).

And then she hit the first of the high notes. My eyes flew open half expecting to see Mariah Carey on the stage. But it was only Ammara. How does she do it? How can she hit such a rarefied note? That’s in the region of the fifth octave (the absolute limit of the human voice with musical value) and we thought only Mariah Carey could hit those notes. Well, Mariah move over, here comes Ammara Brown. By the time she brought her performance to a close, I was dumbfounded at this awesome talent in such a beautiful package. But that was just me. Everybody else went wild. Scar said his goosebumps had goosebumps and the butterflies in his stomach had butterflies in their stomachs too. High praise indeed, but she deserved every word of it. It would be a travesty indeed if she doesn’t win this thing.

Not so fast. There’s still Trinah who may not be able to match Ammara’s insanely wide range but more than makes up for it with a voice that is as powerful as it is sincere. Trinah has the uncanny ability to take a song and make you feel what the song is talking about. She’s also not afraid to belt out in her performances. She has no comfort zone and will never shrink from trying for a high note, and most times, the sheer depth of her voice gets her there. Singing Faith Hill’s ‘Cry’ She gave such a powerful performance that was by turn pleading and indignantly demanding. It was a classic Trinah performance complete with the irreverent key changes and the almost petulant head-tossing. It was a brilliant performance to round off a truly spectacular night.

Now, to Kaweeso’s stupidity. He said Nicolette was the best of the night and Ammara was the most improved. What on earth did he mean? I thought most improved meant weighing last night’s performance against the previous week’s. in which case Nicolette should have been most improved, not Ammara who has been quite consistent throughout Idols so far. Personally i think Kaweeso should be voted off. But again, that's just me.

Missed the results show last night and the idols site is not opening, so still do not know who walked last night.

Someone with information, please help out.

Peace out.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 11:21am On Jun 17, 2008
@Kaydee
I hear you bro. But you could have called me. Anyway, na you miss sha. wink

Zizi:

Trinah's rendition of Faith Hill's Cry gave me goose pimples!!!!!!! The girl can sing joo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amarah murdered Celin Dion's I surrender. The girl lacks soul in her performance. The babe that sang evanessence hmmmmmmmmmmm started well and went off key. The others are all dry!!!!!!!!! Cynthia should be voted off. The girl cannot even sing to save her life. T You F I A!!!!!!!!!!

@Zizi
i agree that Ammara is not as soulful as, say, Trinah, but her performance was flawless on sunday night so i don't know how she murdered the song. And the others are dry? shocked shocked shocked I'm shocked to hear it, to say the least. Are we watching the same show?
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by lawyerchap(m): 11:54am On Jun 17, 2008
well, well, well. Surprise surprise. our rocker Samantha Trivachio left idols last night. Adiona and Mkululi were also in the bottom three. Again Cynthia wasn't in the bottom three, let alone going home.

I think Mkululi should have gone instead of Samantha. Well, its the first surprise of Idols East Africa (not counting Cynthia's survivals). If you ask me, Samantha was better than both Mkululi and Adiona. Either of them could have walked, but not Samantha. But hey, at this rate we'll need a sniper to take out Cynthia as it doesn't seem like she's in a hurry to stop humiliating herself.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by Zizi(f): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2008
Am not surprised Samantha left. Idol shows are always following the same trend. One talentless singer stays put until it becomes soooooooooo obvious he/ she needs to be booted out. That's exactly what Cynthia will be. Don't forget Jerrylyn, Sanjaya etc. Peharps Kaweeso should stop making it soooooooo obvious that Cynthia has to go. That way who knows she will be eventually thrown out. Lawyerchap, forget how beautiful Ammara is. Frankly speaking she has the typical "idol look" but she does not use that advantage at all. She has to up her game if she hopes to take that title. Yes am watching the same show you are watching, the competition in my own view O is yet to pick up that idol frenzy. Good costumes though. And Lawyerchap I love ur analysis. Keep them coming.
Re: Idols Is Back! (East Africa) by kaydee(m): 2:15am On Jun 18, 2008
Ha!!!!!!!! Cynthia survived shocked shocked shocked Somebody wake me up!!!!!!!! She gave a recital and i almost shot her for murdering that lovely song.This show will get boring in no time.

@ LC
No vex bro!!! I go be the one to remind U of the next.

@ Salsera
How are u chillin? Who r u rooting for?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBNaija: Saga Tells Biggie Why He Failed Secret Task / Safari's Movie Reviews / Fears Over Indecency Broadcast In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.