Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,553 members, 7,944,660 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 09:04 PM

Engaged?is It A Criteria? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Engaged?is It A Criteria? (3712 Views)

Five Criteria Ladies Use In Disqualifying Suitors / Should Virginity Be A Criteria In Choosing A Wife? / Her Virginity Was Used As A Criteria To Secure A Job For Her Lover! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 21, 2008
david it's not that simple.
haven't we all felt at some point we were in love and it turned out not so
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by joycee87: 12:47am On Mar 21, 2008
@babes in nairaland

i dey enjoy dis topic,my advise be say ,if una find una sef for dis situation,i meanif una see person wey una like engaged or not,go for it girl,engagement ring no give anybabe right over a guy
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by 4Him(m): 12:49am On Mar 21, 2008
nwando:

OK let me come out and say it.

I was engaged to someone else before I met Mr Nwando cool
The other man is happily married today and so am I
it just wasn't meant to be
so is life

I think i have an idea what kind of "engagement" u're talking about. When we were in college we had all this SU brothers and sisters hiding under the canopy of "we are engaged" to hook each other. 99% of those "engagements" never lasted.

That is not my idea of engagement . . . until i am 150% sure i will marry u i will not mention marriage to you AT ALL. At that stage we both are fair game, if i see another chic i like its bye bye.
I believe an engagement is not something to be rushed, it needs prayers and extensive consultations from ur friends, family, her family, ur church . . . once that stage is passed nothing else can separate me from that woman.

All this "we are engaged" . . . just so as to avoid using the "worldly boyfriend and girlfriend" tag is not it.
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by joycee87: 12:50am On Mar 21, 2008
anyway d matter no concern me,na my elder sis d thing concern,anyway God go help am
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by 4Him(m): 12:51am On Mar 21, 2008
nwando:

david it's not that simple.
haven't we all felt at some point we were in love and it turned out not so

that is true, but we didnt wait until we had promised marriage to the woman to cut and run.

®~^Sly^~®:

That is why im so so sick of all these marriage thingy. . . .i can hardly trust any woman at all due to what i have seen. . . .witnessed & experienced. . .
I think what i'ma do at last is to get just a baby girl and thats it. . .like my friend patrick. . .no marriage. . . .just a baby girl and thats all!

Marriage to me. . . . is like a war zone. . .with all these westernized . .(''smart'' educated '' women). . . .sighs! embarassed

My brother, marriage is sweet with the right woman. I aint married yet but i'm looking forward to it with a healthy dose of optimism.
There will be problems but with God no mountain is insurmountable.
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 12:52am On Mar 21, 2008
marriage is like graduation from college
and engagement is like the 4 years it took to get there.
You must finish the requirements to be given the diploma
an intent to marry is not the same thing as marriage

You can be in college 10 years,publish papers sef but without that diploma you can't site that college as your school of graduation
same with marriage
you can be engaged 4 years but until you have that contract,you are not married.
That's why just living with a woman is not considered marriage
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 21, 2008
@nwando

no wonder u stood on ur ground in this argument,same thing happened to me my dear,engaged to someone else and ,married another,and everybody is living fine

@joycee87

tell ur sis if she truly loves dis guy,and d guy feels same,there is no harm in trial,he might be her rightful husband,and i must confess,the guy is truthful enough to have told her d truth that he is engaged,i think he is inlove wt her too,LET THE WILL OF GOD BE DONE
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by 4Him(m): 12:57am On Mar 21, 2008
Nwando, na there me and you go differ.
Engagement should not be the 4yrs it takes to graduate from college.

Christians have bastardised engagement . . . because we dont want to sound like the world, because we dont want to call it dating and the other partner a girlfriend, we pretend that we are "engaged".

This is where it starts for me . . .
- a relationship - can last till marriage or until either one or both of the parties realise that they are not meant for each other. At this stage there is no firm commitment. You are basically just testing the waters.
- Engagement - At this stage i have finally decided to commit to you and you to me. There is no going back from here. I dont believe in all these engagement lasting as long as methuselah's age. Highest 6 months u shld be married.
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by TheSly: 12:57am On Mar 21, 2008
My brother, marriage is sweet with the right woman. I aint married yet but i'm looking forward to it with a healthy dose of optimism.
There will be problems but with God no mountain is insurmountable.
I know that marriage is very sweet with the right woman!. . but my point is that the right woman is very hard to find. .
But i believe with time. . .errthing is gonna be alright. . .with God cool all things are possible. . .thats 1 thing for sure!
Thanks very much for your kind words. . . . . . . . . God bless u ''hippopotamusly'' wink
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 21, 2008
do you guys know some men may not even tell the woman that they're  engaged until things have gone far
in that case,we have a man who have fallen out of love with the other woman.
call it unfair,but he intended to marry her and now he intends no longer

jennykadry:

@nwando

no wonder u stood on your ground in this argument,same thing happened to me my dear,engaged to someone else and ,married another,and everybody is living fine
@joycee87

tell your sis if she truly loves this guy,and d guy feels same,there is no harm in trial,he might be her rightful husband,and i must confess,the guy is truthful enough to have told her d truth that he is engaged,i think he is inlove wt her too,LET THE WILL OF GOD BE DONE

This is very very common.
And I thank God I met my hubby because I was already looking to flee the other relationship.
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by 4Him(m): 12:59am On Mar 21, 2008
®~^Sly^~®:

I know that marriage is very sweet with the right woman!. . but my point is that the right woman is very hard to find. .
But i believe with time. . .errthing is going to be alright. . .with God cool all things are possible. . .thats 1 thing for sure!
Thanks very much for your kind words. . . . . . . . . God bless u ''hippopotamusly'' wink

thanks  grin
A good woman isnt hard to find, the problem is that most of us dont know exactly what we want (me inclusive). Once we define it the right woman will show up. One other lesson i've learnt . . . there is no perfect woman out there . . . . be ready to take the good with some bad.
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 21, 2008
marriage is like graduation from college
and engagement is like the 4 years it took to get there.
You must finish the requirements to be given the diploma
an intent to marry is not the same thing as marriage

You can be in college 10 years,publish papers sef but without that diploma you can't site that college as your school of graduation
same with marriage
you can be engaged 4 years but until you have that contract,you are not married.
That's why just living with a woman is not considered marriage

@nwando

u r very right,keep it up,men mr nwando is d luckiest man on earth to have u,u r one intelligent woman
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 21, 2008
4Him:

Nwando, na there me and you go differ.
Engagement should not be the 4yrs it takes to graduate from college.

Christians have bastardised engagement . . . because we don't want to sound like the world, because we don't want to call it dating and the other partner a girlfriend, we pretend that we are "engaged".

This is where it starts for me . . .
- a relationship - can last till marriage or until either one or both of the parties realise that they are not meant for each other. At this stage there is no firm commitment. You are basically just testing the waters.
- Engagement - At this stage i have finally decided to commit to you and you to me. There is no going back from here. I don't believe in all these engagement lasting as long as methuselah's age. Highest 6 months u shld be married.

I don't mean the 4 years literally
haba david!!!!
I too believe in short engagements
That's the only way to avoid "chopping"
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by TheSly: 1:03am On Mar 21, 2008
One other lesson i've learnt . . . there is no perfect woman out there . . . . be ready to take the good with some bad.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! God dey sha. . . . . . cool

How i wish i was Mr Nwando grin
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:05am On Mar 21, 2008
@4him
i quite agree wt u,marriage is really sweet wen u r wt d right person
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:05am On Mar 21, 2008
jennykadry:

@nwando

you're very right,keep it up,men mr nwando is d luckiest man on earth to have u,you're one intelligent woman

I wish he could read this ROFL
thanks for the compliments
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:06am On Mar 21, 2008
@sly
i feel u sly,true true mr nwando lucky no be small,no worry sly u own go come
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:07am On Mar 21, 2008
®~^Sly^~®:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! God dey sha. . . . . . cool

How i wish i was Mr Nwando grin

ROFL.
when the hormones rage,you'll wish you were sly again
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:08am On Mar 21, 2008
let me ask,what is considered engagement.
at what point is a couple considered engaged in your opinion ?
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by TheSly: 1:10am On Mar 21, 2008

@sly
i feel u sly,true true mr nwando lucky no be small,no worry sly u own go come
Amen oooo Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:11am On Mar 21, 2008
In my opinion do not engage me if you are still having doubt, period
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:12am On Mar 21, 2008
let me see if i can ansa dat nwando,i believe engagement comes wt a ring,u know wen the man proposes to a woman and says WILL U MARRY ME,and gives her a ring,and then wedding and traditional marriages preparations kicks off
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 21, 2008
jennykadry:

let me see if i can ansa that nwando,i believe engagement comes wt a ring,u know when the man proposes to a woman and says WILL You MARRY ME,and gives her a ring,and then wedding and traditional marriages preparations kicks off

so if there's no ring,it's not yet an engagement
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 21, 2008
@sly

so iraq people sabi talk Amen,na wao,i think say war don collect una christian brain finish
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:16am On Mar 21, 2008
@nwando
yes ooo,i believe so,engagement no be for only mouth,the guy gotta make it a little official wt a ring
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 21, 2008
stillwater:

Most individuals would do just that ie get engaged believing this is the right one
but then things can happen down the line and they say "i don't " before saying their "I do"
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by TheSly: 1:19am On Mar 21, 2008

@sly
so iraq people sabi talk Amen,na wao,i think say war don collect una christian brain finish
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yeah!!. . . . . .Yeah . . . . . .Yeah. . . . .We dey praise God here too. . . cool

OK we don hear ma! tongue
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by LadyT(f): 1:20am On Mar 21, 2008
I agree with Osisi to the fullest. Every relationship has its up and downs. Disagreements can cause people to question the relationship. No one is always 100% that the relationship will work. Its hard work a constant battle,
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:24am On Mar 21, 2008
@nwando

make i ask,u no get problem wen u wan switch over ,i mean to mr nwando,i had a tough time in mine,cos we were both engaged wen we met,it was a very tough battle for me,i mean handling the other woman,she was a lion then,but one thing i know is wen u meet d right person,that person and the love he has for u ,will be ur battle axe,the guy and the love the he has for d girl will fight for d girl,and d girl will just hold her peace,that is wen u know u have met ur missing rib
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:24am On Mar 21, 2008
@ nwando
Yes things can happen, like maybe the guy is a serial killer or wife beater shocked, to make me change my mind about the engagement but I won't be dating another guy behind his back and he shouldn't be dating another either tongue cool.

OK we don hear ma!  tongue

sharrraaapppp!!!!!! cool
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by TheSly: 1:29am On Mar 21, 2008
sharrraaapppp!!!!!! cool
Did u miss any joloffff rice today again?
Re: Engaged?is It A Criteria? by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 21, 2008
@still water
ah ah,still water u no dey fear place,na sly u dey tell sharrap,u don forget say sly fit send bomb from iraq wey go blow nigerian finish,i beg i no dey

@sly
i beg tamper justice wt mercy,i never wan die,forgive still water for he knows wat he said,no send bomb come naija i beg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Got Married To A Witch! / Ladies Can You Take This From Your Guy? / How Can A Girl Not Even Up To 30yrs Manage 5,6,7,8 Bfs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.