Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,674 members, 7,882,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 08:25 PM

How To Install Content Management System - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Install Content Management System (1477 Views)

Become A Competent Content Management Web Developer In Just 4 Weeks!!! / Cms (content Management Systems) / The Fastest Way To Deploy A Content Management System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Install Content Management System by gbengaijot(m): 1:23pm On May 05, 2006
Does anyone have tutorials on installing content management system on a webhost. i saw a CMS online that i will like to install and configure, but i have never used one before. i succeded in downloading the zipped folder from the website and i unzipped it but how do i upload?,

Zaymaka, seun, e.t.c, does anyone have a clue?.please do post.
Re: How To Install Content Management System by Cactus(m): 3:30pm On May 05, 2006
unzip the file you downloaded then upload to your server into the preferred directory. there should be an install.sometin eg for php = install.php

run that file

or you may be required to create a database before installation

well it will be more helpful if you can tell us the CMS u are planning to install then one can give u detailed steps on doing that though the installation process is almost similar in most CMSes there could be some difference,

give the name of the cms and we can provide you with more information
Re: How To Install Content Management System by gbengaijot(m): 4:17pm On May 05, 2006
Thanks so much, cactus.
Well, i am learning more about website and content management and i want to thinker with it a bit. i saw this basic free edition of CMS for this link
http://www.aspapp.com/content.asp?ContentId=420

i understand that its a ASP and thats why i av a free account with www.1asphost.com already. i downloaded the file and unzip it. how do i upload it on to the server.

N.B- if you know of any robust CMS that i can use please tell me. I am tinkering on a pet project like this in school.
My teacher asked us if we can build a webiste that has a forum, wiki, personal members area, downloadable page, weather forcast, news feeds, blogs, music and possibly mail apps. and a whole lot of features that makes it interactive. i know it could be an impossible venture for me as a novice but i want to try.

I avent found a CMS that i feel is the best yet.but if you know of any, please do recommend.
Re: How To Install Content Management System by Cactus(m): 8:39pm On May 05, 2006
well my advice to you is that do not waste your time with asp/asp.net and cms based on asp/asp.net, you will find yourself having many difficulties and its kind of cumbersome finding and fixing problems in asp/asp.net.

my favorite cms is phpwebsite reason its very simple, lightweight, easily customisable, and all necessary modules are available.

I have used mambo, phpnuke, joomla, easycms, and so many i can't recollect, each of them function very well, the choice of which cms to implement is dependent on your needs, database requirement, and possibly your network connection as some loads relatively different from others.

using asp cms you are very limited to hosting service

http://www.aspapp.com/content.asp?ContentID=326 that gives u instruction on installation.

i cannot imagine why your instructor would want you to build a cms, though the thought and idea is cool but common there are thousands you can play around with instead of building one. its definitely going to take an extended period of time to complete which you would not have the time for in either a semester or in an academic year.
Re: How To Install Content Management System by romeo(m): 7:48pm On May 07, 2006
i suggest you use php-nuke or mambo, this 2 two has millions of followers worldwide with the options of more modules and addons for your site and i am using php nuke on my site http://www.igbolandia.com if you need more help on using php-nuke i can help you out
Re: How To Install Content Management System by gbengaijot(m): 11:09pm On May 07, 2006
@romeo, i think i may have to go for either php website or php nuke. but i have been to the download page for phpnuke and it tells me that i have to pay for it. do i really have to pay?,

I will need help with installation and stuffs as well.
Give me more information.
Re: How To Install Content Management System by epapa(m): 3:57pm On Jun 30, 2011
sometimes if you are just starting out, it might be wise to have a hosting package that includes installers such as softaculous,fantastico etc. It helps you install most of these popular softwares. I use syskay as my web host. They offer fantastico no matter which hosting package you are on. You might want to consider later on. If you really want to proceed, i guess you should get trained in web development. it would help you not just now but also in future.

(1) (Reply)

How To Receive Payment From 500cents-500dollars / Ikeja Computer Village And Its New Web Friends / Cheap Bulk Sms Gateway With Integration Api Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.