Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,767 members, 7,927,135 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 10:16 AM

8 South African Police Drags Man To Death - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 8 South African Police Drags Man To Death (1239 Views)

Abuja Babe Drags Man To Court For Refusing To Pay After Sex / South African Police Beat Nigerian To Death / Lagos: Woman Drags Hubby To Court For Inserting Pepper Into Her Private Part (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 South African Police Drags Man To Death by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
I've always wondered which is worse between nigerian police and south african police. I think I got my answers; South africa takes it. Though, both are known for killing innocent citizens, not only is south Africa's at higher rate, but I've noticed over the years that they carry out most of their killings in a brutal manner, unlike the rare nigerian cases of stray bullet. Check this scenario for example, how can a citizen be dragged around town with a van? Jeez! It looks like another ALUU4 scene done by the law enforcement agents. And it was recorded as well....Smh.

With the world's eyes still fixed on South Africa and the scandal over Oscar Pistorius—and the police mishandling of it—the country is now under scrutiny for another act of violence committed by the police themselves.

For American viewers, the event, captured on a video camera, will recall the gruesome murder of James Byrd, Jr. a black man who was dragged to death by 8 white supremacists.

But there’s a crucial difference between that story and the event that resulted in the death of the 27-year-old Mido Macia, in South Africa this week: the murderers were the police.

Macia died of head injuries after police officers tied him to a police van and dragged him through the streets during the middle of the day, ignoring the objections and questions of the many bystanders.

South Africa has long held the reputation of being a country with high levels of crime and gun violence, a reputation that surfaced again in the wake of Pistorius’s alleged murder of his girlfriend. But something that people less rarely talk about is the country’s incredibly high levels of police violence.

Police violence in South Africa has been increasing rapidly. In 2008-2009, the police killed more than 500 people in the country, double the number from only a few years earlier.

In 2008, then deputy police minister essentially gave her officers a blank check to kill.

“I want no warning shots,” she said at a rally. “You have one shot and it must be a kill shot. If you miss, the criminals will go for the kill. They don’t miss. We can’t take this chance.”

Police violence culminated last summer, when the police began shooting workers engaging in a strike—killing 34 unarmed plantation miners.

But this massive police violence and repression certainly isn’t making the country safer. Although official statistics show violent crime falling, gun ownership and the ensuring violence remains high. On average, three women are killed by their romantic partners every single day in the country.

But while women aren’t safe at home, men aren’t safe in the streets—as this latest murder so gruesomely demonstrates.

Source

Re: 8 South African Police Drags Man To Death by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 02, 2013
So those who always copyright all the awkward/bad news to Nigeria should see bad things happen everywhere and even worse. Because I can imagine if this happened in nigeria....the comments would be 'ONLY IN NIGERIA' cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Terrible News: 8-year-old Bride Dies Of Injuries On Wedding Night / How A Female Teacher Was Murdered In Enugu (graphic Pic) / (PICS)Woman Shot In Both Legs For Sending Too Many Candy Crush Invitations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.