Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,809 members, 7,886,178 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 02:27 AM

Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand (1454 Views)

Help! I Am Praying In A Language I Don't Understand. / Stories From Sunday School / Strange Hell Stories From People Who Died And Came Back! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by julimax(m): 8:25am On Mar 03, 2013
1. If god created everything, them who made him? Did He make Himself? How was he before the made Himself?

2. If the tower of babel built with ancient skill was that tall to disturb God, them what about the sky scrappers now and rockets going to space.

3. I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way. God created heaven and earth and all the universe. Then the Devil came and destroyed the relationship Gods has with man, His most precious creation and He just took it like that. simple thing would be, kill the damn Lucifer and repair man again or does He just want to see us suffer? I am not Adam, I didn't even eat any apple

4. Okay, Man was not suppose to die according to God's plan, but Man lost that privilege when he ate the fruit. Okay, what about the animals, they are dying too, were they suppose to die before, even if they were not suppose to, maybe they started dying since their master (Man) is no longer going to live forever, I wonder what man would have done to eat meat

5. When Cain killed Abel, God gave him a mark so that people will not harm him as he made his way to the land of Nod, So, who will harm him? i thought only Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel were in the whole wide world then, and with Abel dead, who else was to harm him on his way to Nod, who even named the place nod, were people living there?

I just need more light on these issues - I am still a believer even with all the confusion in my head
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO DID NOT SEE BUT YET BELIEVE
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2013
Don't expect to get any answer to your questions, why don't you ask the Holy Spirit instead (this is not mockery).
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 03, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
Don't expect to get any answer to your questions, why don't you ask the Holy Spirit instead (this is not mockery).

Lmao cheesy
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by tpia5: 9:47pm On Mar 03, 2013
2. If the tower of babel built with ancient skill was that tall to disturb God, them what about the sky scrappers now and rockets going to space.

why dont you actually open a bible and read it, before starting threads.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Delafruita(m): 10:04pm On Mar 03, 2013
tpia@:

why dont you actually open a bible and read it, before starting threads.
are your fingers itchy?if you wont answer the questions asked,must you type?
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Kslib(m): 8:51am On Mar 04, 2013
julimax:

From my own understanding,the above passage actually never happened in real life but a parable or story because it doesnt makes sense at all,how can people use their bare hands to build something that high that will even make God feel threatened by the closeness of it to heaven.. Ok,just imagine the distance between earth and heaven,the distance is even unimaginable.. Even if the builders were building at the speed of light,still yet they will still be wasting their time..
Ok,lets get back to the passage here,if you notice something,the people were already doing something extra-ordinary(BY BUILDING A TOWER WHICH WAS GETTING TO HEAVEN),and GOD felt threatened by their closeness and his next line of action was what?? HE DIVIDED THEM THROUGH LANGUAGE.. They couldnt understand each other again and confusion scattered the golden project..
Look,what this passage is trying to tell us is that when we humans are united and co-operate with each other,we can achieve the extra-ordinary.. Ask yourself,why didnt God just scatter the tower?? He knew that if he did,rebuilding will re-start cos they was unity and co-operation.. He scattered their project/co-operation through language which was a genius plan...
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT: WITH HUMAN CO-OPERATION,WE WILL ACHIEVE THE UN-THINKABLE...
@dear op,this is what i understand from my own reasoning cos taking that passgae literally is just insane and i certainly aint insane.. Thanks..

1 Like

Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:02am On Mar 04, 2013
^^^ The word used in the bible was "heavens" and not "heaven" ( note the "s" ) . What this means is that they were building a tower reaching the skies and not "heaven" like you are trying to indicate. From your further explanations, are you insinuating that God is afraid of man's unity?
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 04, 2013
smiley
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Unluvable(f): 2:10pm On Mar 04, 2013
Please Op let me add just 2 questions;

If moses solely wrote deuteronomy, then who narrated his death at deu 34: 5, his spirit or what

When was hell created? Before creation period recorded at genesis, during it or after
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by tpia5: 4:28pm On Mar 04, 2013
re:tower of babel

gen 6
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

gen 11

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

destroying the earth again versus merely separating humans by language in order to avoid a repeat of the earlier problems, which is more lenient?

they were beginning to regroup and once again start the evil errors of the past.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by frank317: 5:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
^^^
Errors of the past? Like he didn't want sin to come again? Oh, I get it, there is no more wickedness in the world again.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by tpia5: 6:09pm On Mar 04, 2013
^
did you notice this:

Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence.

or were you in a hurry to type and get your user id on the thread undecided
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Kslib(m): 6:10pm On Mar 04, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
^^^ The word used in the bible was "heavens" and not "heaven" ( note the "s" ) . What this means is that they were building a tower reaching the skies and not "heaven" like you are trying to indicate. From your further explanations, are you insinuating that God is afraid of man's unity?
When did i say so?? Are you blind or what?? All i was just saying was that the passage was just pointing out how human unity will make humanity great and better.. Since GOd created man,why will i say he was threatened by human unity?? Does it even make sense.. Secondly,wheather they were building to the heavens or underground,it still doesnt change the point of what i said..
And lastly,abeg no quote me.. I no get time to dey reply over-sabi christians wey dey feel say na dem know GOD pass.... I get other better things to do....
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by inspiredbyGOD(m): 6:28pm On Mar 04, 2013
^^^ You posted this
(BY BUILDING A TOWER WHICH WAS
GETTING TO HEAVEN),and GOD felt threatened by
their closeness
and his next line of action was what??
HE DIVIDED THEM THROUGH LANGUAGE..
Your very own words: God felt threatened & ummm, you don't have to indulge me if you don't want to.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by tpia5: 6:31pm On Mar 04, 2013
Kslib:
When did i say so?? Are you blind or what?? All i was just saying was that the passage was just pointing out how human unity will make humanity great and better.. Since GOd created man,why will i say he was threatened by human unity?? Does it even make sense.. Secondly,wheather they were building to the heavens or underground,it still doesnt change the point of what i said..
And lastly,abeg no quote me.. I no get time to dey reply over-sabi christians wey dey feel say na dem know GOD pass.... I get other better things to do....

since you say you need medication or some such, why not worry about that and ignore the thread.

is it by force to post, or you just want to be noticed.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by UyiIredia(m): 6:34pm On Mar 04, 2013
MY answer to these questions is that one should have skepticism towardss the Bible.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by inspiredbyGOD(m): 6:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
Uyi Iredia: MY answer to these questions is that one should have skepticism towardss the Bible.
skepticism never gives answers, it just creates room for more questions.

1 Like

Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by julimax(m): 10:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
i dont know oh.....
Unluvable*:
Please Op let me add just 2 questions;

If moses solely wrote deuteronomy, then who narrated his death at deu 34: 5, his spirit or what

When was hell created? Before creation period recorded at genesis, during it or after
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Eben2: 9:18am On Mar 05, 2013
@Op,

Someone asked similar question in our Sunday school class and i have this to say:

In the bible, most especially in Genesis, there were a lot of events that were not recorded chronologically. Take for example, Genesis opened with: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" and it went ahead to tell us how the earth was created and nothing was mentioned about how heaven was created. This is because those were not necessary for our instruction and learning. The bible says: "all scripture is given by the inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Tim 3:16.

Moses was not there at creation but only wrote what God inspired him to write and God only gave him what was/is profitable for us.

Adam and Eve spent almost 1,000 years on earth, they could have had and given birth to lots of children and their children could giving birth to hundreds of children even before the death of our fore-parents; but those story will not benefit us in anyway. What God wanted was for us to have a glimpse of how things on earth came into being; the mistake our parents made that brought us into bondage and his undying love for us. We are supposed to learn from this and reciprocate His love by accepting His Lordship and friendship.

Daniel was as curious as we are now but the angel of the Lord told him not to border himself with things that God was/is not ready to reveal now until the appointed time. "and i heard but i understood not: then said i, o my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? and he said, go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end" Daniel 12: 8,9.

2 Likes

Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by Kslib(m): 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
tpia@:

since you say you need medication or some such, why not worry about that and ignore the thread.

is it by force to post, or you just want to be noticed.
Wtf!!! Get noticed by who?? I'm too even busy to post most times not to even talk of being noticed.. Pls go get a life.. I'm very sure you are one of those online psychos who love to get attention online cos your real life sucks... Lmfao!!!

1 Like

Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by EvilBrain1(m): 2:19pm On Mar 16, 2013
Let me try and answer OPs questions one by one.

1. Who created God.
The only known natural process by which something complex arises from a simpler precursor is evolution. Therefore, God must have evolved just like we did. That would make him an alien creature of some sort. The other explanation of course is that he is a figment of people's imagination and doesn't really exist. Occam's razor suggests that the latter is more likely true.

2. The tower of Babel.
Clearly, the people who recorded this story believed that the sky was some kind of canopy hanging over the earth with God hiding behind it. They clearly had no understanding of astronomy which is why they thought they could build a stairway to heaven. The whole story is clearly bullshït written by illiterates. How educated people take it seriously is beyond me.

3. Why did God allow the devil to destroy his relationship with man?
You're not going far enough. For one, God created the devil. And since he's omnipotent and omniscient, he must have knowingly programmed all the future bad behaviour into him. He also made man susceptible to the devil's lies. Then he put the tree of knowledge under Adam's nose. Then he sat by and watched the devil convince Adam and Eve to eat the fruit. He's omnipresent so he was right there when it happened. It's not just that God did nothing to stop man's fall, its that he was actually the cause of it having set Adam, Eve, the devil and all of us up to sin (was eating the fruit really a sin since it was God's plan all along?). For me the whole story makes no sense and is clearly just more made up bullshít.

4. Why do animals die?
Probably for the same reason they bring forth their young in pain and why they aren't living in paradise. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken CD, but again the Adam and Eve story makes no sense and is clearly false.

5. Who would have harmed Cain?
Supposedly Adam and Eve also had daughters which the bible didn't mention (women aren't worth mentioning?). Since people lived so long back then, Adam, Cain and Abel might have had dozens of kids between them by the time Cain killed his brother. Despite that, the number of people on the earth at the time of Adams death could have been more than 200 or so (the average healthy woman has one baby every 2 year's without contraception). And that's not accounting for the fact that a lack of experienced midwives or antibiotics would have caused extremely high rates of maternal and infant deaths. Also, the only people around to harm Cain were his parents, sisters, children, nieces and nephews. Again, the story makes no sense.

TL;DR The book of Genesis is full of massive plot holes and makes no sense. Its stories are just iron age myths. There is nothing true about them.

1 Like

Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by EvilBrain1(m): 3:33pm On Mar 16, 2013
^^^^Some quick calculations:
Adam was 130 years old when he begat Seth after Abel's death. Some of that time would have been before the fall and the birth of Cain, and some would have been after Cain left for Nod, but we dont know how long so I'm just going to assume that potential Cain killers were being born throughout that period.

Cain, Abel and their sisters needed 16 or so years to reach sexual maturity before having kids of their own. Assuming that Cain's wife had a baby every 2 year's from age 16 till Seth's birth, she would have had 55 children. Assuming Abel's wife did the same and that gives us about 107 children by the 3rd generation. If evey single one of Adam's granddaughters got pregnant at 16, we could have had as many as 8 generations before Seth. If you draw a graph taking into account the shorter time later generations have to reproduce and assuming no deaths, you'll end up with about 600 people or so as the absolute theoretical maximum number of people who could have potentially killed Cain.

Of course, Adam only had 3 male children in that time. The average human male:female ratio is about 50:50 so it's safe to assume he had a total of 6 children (plus or minus 1-2) or 1 child every 18.5 years. That means going at the same rate, Cain's wife could have had a maximum of 4 children by the time Adam was 130yrs old assuming she starated at 16. And Abel's wife couldn't have had ukmore than 3 given that she would have been born much later that Cain and his wife and also needed to reach adulthood before having her own kids. Cain's oldest children would have had less that 60 years to reproduce and could have hard more than 2 or so kids.

That gives us a total of 17 people including infants that could have killed Cain by the time Seth was born. Half of these people were women, one was his aged father, And some were children. I wonder why he was so worried?
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by EvilBrain1(m): 3:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
Deleted. Double post.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by 222Martins(m): 12:14am On Mar 17, 2013
Let me seek the face of the holy spirit, I will be back.
Re: Stories from the Bible We Don't Understand by seyibrown(f): 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
I hope this thread lives very very long for more and more questions like the OP! Subscribing .. cool

(1) (Reply)

Anti-diety Of Christ: Are You Any Better Than This Jews? :) Think! / Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? / TB Joshua,adeboye,oyedepo And Co,who Amongst Them Is The Most Anointed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.