Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,767 members, 7,879,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:30 PM

Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG (13161 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by AbuHanifa: 1:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
Press Release:
Hijab crisis: COHI warns Lagos govt against reneging on agreements with MSSN
The Council of Higher Institutions (COHI), an arm of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit, has advised the Lagos State Government not to renege on the agreement it reached with the society following last Thursday’s mass protest in Alausa against the victimisation of Muslim students using hijab in secondary schools by their principals.

The group warned that reneging on the agreements may result to the disruption of the relative peace being enjoyed in the state at the moment.

The Assistant General Secretary of the MSSN Lagos State Area Unit, Mr Sulaimon Dhikrillah, who addressed the press today at the society’s secretariat in Yaba on the hijab crisis, said the group was not out to fight the state government but to demand the recognition and protection of the rights of Muslims as guaranteed by the country’s constitution.

He said the state government had agreed to issue a circular to stop the school authorities and teachers from molesting Muslim girls over the use of hijab.
He added that the government representatives at the meeting on Thursday presented evidences that investigation had commenced in the case of Principal of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute-Metta, who allegedly administer 43 strokes of cane on a JSS 1 student over hijab, and pledged to follow it to a logical conclusion.

Dhikrillah, however, accused state government of alleged sponsoring of those he described as ‘unknown elements’ who he said had been going on air to ‘possibly create confusion in the minds of the public regarding what we are fighting for.’

‘The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN), Lagos State Area Unit is known for peace and we have always been peaceful in the manner we carry out our activities.
‘We are only demanding that our constitutionally guaranteed right should not be denied us. We will not resort to lawlessness but at the same time we will not relent until justice is done,’ he said.

Speaking on the case of Mrs Elizabeth Omidele, Principal, Mafoluku Senior Grammar School, Oshodi who allegedly removed hijab on an SSS 3 student, Bareerah Tajudeen, outside the school premises and also suspended her, Dhikrillah revealed that the principal had recalled Bareerah under a stringent condition.

‘The principal has coerced Bareera to signing an undertaken antithetical to this resolution more so she was made to serve punishment on the assembly for the same reason. It is our further request that the government should call the principal of Mafoluku to order in the spirit of justice,’ he said.

Concerning the demand that hijab should be part of uniform for Muslim students in Lagos State, Dhikrillah said the government representatives promised to table it before the State Executive Council meeting on March 3rd (Monday).

It would be recalled that members of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, Lagos State Area Unit had on Thursday February 28, 2013, stormed the state governor office in Alausa in protest against victimisation of Muslim girls using hijab in state secondary schools by their principals. The protest lasted over eight hours before an agreement was reached.

https://www.facebook.com/mssnlsau/posts/487485604632577
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by mcevans1(m): 3:50pm On Mar 06, 2013
Well, I'm not a muslim but I support their move. The ill treatment passed on that little girl was too much.

5 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by ibitomisi: 3:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
oops that top warning isn't scary at all i'll rather keep silent islam!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jude33084(m): 3:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
I thought they slaped fashola at the end undecided

Because the itensity of speach from the beginning no get rival cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by webcityng: 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
I ATTEND WHITE GARMENT CHURCH

IF THE GOVERNMENT ACCEPT THIS, I WILL PUT ON MY WHITE GARMENT CAP ON WHEN I AM GOING TO SCHOOL

like the one this women is putting on

33 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
Have to wonder what is shaking these women

It would seem male principals have no issues with hijab
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Burger01(m): 3:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Nna get mouth...
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by ezedolar: 3:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
Muslims na wahala always protesting

4 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by FindOut(m): 3:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
OH MY GOD!!!! Is this what journalism has been reduced to

Where in the statements quoted by the COHI spokesman did he ''warn'' the state Government that reneging on the agreements ''may result to disruption of the relative peace''

Edit: Apparently, since it was gotten from the MSSN facebook page, the writer of this article might be a muslim. If so, that person needs to use his/her brain properly next time when writing /titling an article.

Rubbish title.

6 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
Why all this to avoid being banned things?
Anyways i reserve my comment, but pray that peace reigns in lagos state
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jude33084(m): 3:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
mc~evans:
Well, I'm not a muslim but I support their move. The ill treatment passed on that little girl was too much.

The treatment was condemned by all(both Christians and muslims) but the way the muslims associations are conducting themselves now is as if Lagosians are oppressing them,....Lagos state governor is a Muslim even though he is a funky on undecided

No need for noise just sue the principal and charge him for child abuse.

Na jail get am be that grin

6 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Karismatik(f): 4:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
y is it dat dere's always a warning on threads dat partain to islam and not on dat of xtians?
is dis a sign of religious insecurity?
anyway, as far as i'm concern, dis thread is irrelevant.

6 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by chakula: 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
undecided undecided Before you know it the thread should be change to another thing just watch for a few minutes.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Karismatik(f): 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
y is it dat dere's always a warning on threads dat partain to islam and not on dat of xtians?
dis is a sign of religious insecurity?
anyway, as far as i'm concern, dis thread is irrelevant.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by FindOut(m): 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
AbuHanifa: Press Release:
Hijab crisis: COHI warns Lagos govt against reneging on agreements with MSSN
The Council of Higher Institutions (COHI), an arm of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit, has advised the Lagos State Government not to renege on the agreement it reached with the society following last Thursday’s mass protest in Alausa against the victimisation of Muslim students using hijab in secondary schools by their principals.

The group warned that reneging on the agreements may result to the disruption of the relative peace being enjoyed in the state at the moment.

The Assistant General Secretary of the MSSN Lagos State Area Unit, Mr Sulaimon Dhikrillah, who addressed the press today at the society’s secretariat in Yaba on the hijab crisis, said the group was not out to fight the state government but to demand the recognition and protection of the rights of Muslims as guaranteed by the country’s constitution.

He said the state government had agreed to issue a circular to stop the school authorities and teachers from molesting Muslim girls over the use of hijab.
He added that the government representatives at the meeting on Thursday presented evidences that investigation had commenced in the case of Principal of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute-Metta, who allegedly administer 43 strokes of cane on a JSS 1 student over hijab, and pledged to follow it to a logical conclusion.

Dhikrillah, however, accused state government of alleged sponsoring of those he described as ‘unknown elements’ who he said had been going on air to ‘possibly create confusion in the minds of the public regarding what we are fighting for.’

‘The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN), Lagos State Area Unit is known for peace and we have always been peaceful in the manner we carry out our activities.
‘We are only demanding that our constitutionally guaranteed right should not be denied us. We will not resort to lawlessness but at the same time we will not relent until justice is done,’ he said.

Speaking on the case of Mrs Elizabeth Omidele, Principal, Mafoluku Senior Grammar School, Oshodi who allegedly removed hijab on an SSS 3 student, Bareerah Tajudeen, outside the school premises and also suspended her, Dhikrillah revealed that the principal had recalled Bareerah under a stringent condition.

‘The principal has coerced Bareera to signing an undertaken antithetical to this resolution more so she was made to serve punishment on the assembly for the same reason. It is our further request that the government should call the principal of Mafoluku to order in the spirit of justice,’ he said.

Concerning the demand that hijab should be part of uniform for Muslim students in Lagos State, Dhikrillah said the government representatives promised to table it before the State Executive Council meeting on March 3rd (Monday).

It would be recalled that members of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, Lagos State Area Unit had on Thursday February 28, 2013, stormed the state governor office in Alausa in protest against victimisation of Muslim girls using hijab in state secondary schools by their principals. The protest lasted over eight hours before an agreement was reached.

https://www.facebook.com/mssnlsau/posts/487485604632577

Sorry I had to quote the entire article, but I think attention should be paid to the bolded. Then can anyone quote an excerpt of the statements credited to the COHI/MSSN spokesperson where the LASG was ''warned'' or ''threatened'' ? Thanks.

The person who appended a title to the original piece whether muslim or xtian appears to be a ''product of a failed educational system'' (c) - Sagamite cheesy
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by gramci: 4:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
See them, threatening to disturb the peace of Lagos. Eko Oni Baje.

God pass una

4 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jude33084(m): 4:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
Find Out!:
OH MY GOD!!!! Is this what journalism has been reduced to

Where in the statements quoted by the COHI spokesman did he ''warn'' the state Government that reneging on the agreements ''may result to disruption of the relative peace''

The writer of this piece is a typical example of journalists who mis-use their power of the pen to polarise the people & heat up the polity all because of their hatred of a certain religion or tribe or organisation.

This is sad really.

Let us ask Maclantunji wink

Maclantunji!!! Is the op a Muslim or Christian?!
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by MusicCafe: 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
ezedolar: Muslims na wahala always protesting
Reasoning like yours is the reason, Nigeria is backward, since when has it been "wahala" to protest alleged infringement of your right? I don't want to infer anything from your post, but you should be less puerile in your next post. And sincerely, there is no reason to use the word "warn" by the OP...it's needless and sensationalizes the news. Even freedom of speech comes with certain responsibility.

3 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2013
Unfortunately it is these associations who claim to uphold righteous (fair) judgement on religious matters in government institutions that spark intolerance and also build the foundations for hatred at a very young age. we won't be around when these youths start slaughtering each other and society in general because of their dress-sense.. it will be a religious matter then just as it is now. Uniform uniforms are there for one reason, UNIFY different groups and create a sense of oneness and social bonding and identity (especially at that age).

Youths also recognize when someone is different from the accepted norm. they are either seen as elitist or isolationist or or ethno-racists, either way it is better to have a united school of young children than one where hate breeds and flourishes. If you wish to wear a hijab as a matter of religion, go to an all Islamic School where those virtues are held in the highest regard. This will allow you the benefit of a good education in a peaceful environment with peers that accept you for who you are not how you dress.

10 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
You see nah, GEJ must go ooo..haba!!! Am tired of all dis. Nonsense madness
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by FindOut(m): 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
jude33084:

Let us ask Maclantunji wink

Maclantunji!!! Is the op a Muslim or Christian?!

Lol. I amended the post you quoted when i observed the article was gotten from the MSSN facebook page...though I suspect the MSSN in turn got it from a newspaper. Still checking tho. But you have to agree with me that the title of the article does not tally with the contents bro.

A full text of the press conference by the MSSN can be found here & I am yet to see any warning or threats to the LASG contained therein.

www.mssnlagos.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249%3Apress-conference-addressed-by-the-assistant-general-secretary-mssn-lagos-state-area-unit-mallam-sulaiman-dhikrillah-under-the-aegis-of-council-of-higher-institutions-cohi-an-arm-of-the-unit-on-tues&catid=1%3Alatest-news

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jude33084(m): 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
angry angry angry angry

smiley smiley peace wink wink smiley
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by theripper: 4:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
Thank God say nobody die. This is strange o.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
webcityng: I ATTEND WHITE GARMENT CHURCH

IF THE GOVERNMENT ACCEPT THIS, I WILL PUT ON MY WHITE GARMENT CAP ON WHEN I AM GOING TO SCHOOL

like the one this women is putting on

is d wearing of white garment a compulsory aspect of your religion?

abi just like u asked for the pilgrims welfare board, u are again d3manding something 'the muslims also demanded'? smh

2 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Orikinla(m): 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
As far as I am concerned Muslim girls and women should be allowed to wear hijab.
In fact, Christian girls who wish to join them should be welcomed.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by slimming: 4:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
there more pressing issue in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jude33084(m): 4:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: Unfortunately it is these associations who claim to uphold righteous (fair) judgement on religious matters in government institutions that spark intolerance and also build the foundations for hatred at a very young age. we won't be around when these youths start slaughtering each other and society in general because of their dress-sense.. it will be a religious matter then just as it is now. Uniform uniforms are there for one reason, UNIFY different groups and create a sense of oneness and social bonding and identity (especially at that age).

Youths also recognize when someone is different from the accepted norm. they are either seen as elitist or isolationist or or ethno-racists, either way it is better to have a united school of young children than one where hate breeds and flourishes. If you wish to wear a hijab as a matter of religion, go to an all Islamic School where those virtues are held in the highest regard. This will allow you the benefit of a good education in a peaceful environment with peers that accept you for who you are not how you dress.

Man you have spoken well,....I wonder what kind of hate τhis guys are building up?

I dont think τhis call will ever work because the moment you give the female muslims the right to use hijab, Aladura and shango worshipers will come up with their own religion dress code supported by the constitution in nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
slimming: there more pressing issue in Nigeria

it doesnt make this less of an issue.

freedom of expression!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is S.A.W Used For Muhammad And A.S Used For Other Prophets / Slaughtering For The Sake Of Allah / How Should We Return The Greetings From A Non-muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.