Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,745 members, 7,879,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:28 PM

Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life (2260 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 9:00am On Mar 07, 2013
A Religious man testifies to the goodness of being an atheist and being close to atheists - Happy reading - cheesy

The man: Living with an Atheist had been a new experience for me. But it is a refreshing one. Since I recently left my marriage to a devoutly religious woman a whole new world has suddenly appeared. The openness that I now share with this new woman has enlightened me to a human quality that was missing from my long and shallow marriage. That openness is called honesty. We both know and accept the full range of who we really are, and communicate in truth rather than in hypocrisy. At first the exposure to such a raw person was frightening, and I didn't think it would last. But I awake one morning before she did and looked at her unkempt and natural body, it was then that I realized I was living with a genuine human being. That is the moment when I fell fully in love with her.

My Atheist woman was the most selfish person that I ever met. She was motivated out of pure desire and gave of herself only for herself. She reminded me of a pet cat that I used to own, but my woman was infinitely more interesting. When she was reading a book that book became her whole world, I didn't exist until she was finished and ready to eat or make love. It was then that she became even more perfect. Not only was she a great lover but she was also a fantastic cook. I never knew that there were so many ways to prepare a delicious meal, and she knew them all. Her personality and conversation were so stimulating that there was no place else in the world that I would rather be but at her side.

When I first met her she confessed to me that she did not believe in god and that she was an Atheist. I was shocked to hear such a disclosure and was ready to depart, when she said that she needed me desperately. I asked her why, and she replied that she felt that I was a beautiful person and wanted to have a love affair with me. Her honesty turned me on, and lifted my self-esteem. We began to see each other on a steady basis, and before I moved into her place she told me that if I ever became unappealing to her she would ask me to leave. I accepted those conditions. Many months latter I asked her to marry me; she said she would, if marriage is that important to me. We were married in civil ceremony by an Atheist judge, and were wished good luck. This is the story of how I married an Atheist

SOURCE
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by benodic: 11:37am On Mar 07, 2013
i am clearly not surprised.
experience has shown me that most Atheists live the principles of Life while most religious people only pay lip service to them living a hypocritical and hollow life. the principle of "Be yourself" and "let others be" are 2 very important principles that if applied in life will make human interaction such a wonderful thing that it was meant to be in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 07, 2013
benodic:
experience has shown me that most Atheists live the principles of Life while most religious people only pay lip service to them living a hypocritical and hollow life. the principle of "Be yourself" and "let others be" are 2 very important principles that if applied in life will make human interaction such a wonderful thing that it was meant to be in the first place.

How many Atheists or religious people do you know?
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 11:56am On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

does it matter?
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

does it matter?

Yes it does! He claimed that his conclusion can be attributed to "most" Atheists and religious. It is left for him to demonstrate how that comment holds true from his experience. Otherwise he would just be committing a very common fallacy.
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Always looking for fallacies where there are none.

You dont even have to believe his experience, just look at many atheistic countries and compare them with religious ones
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 12:02pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Yes it does! He claimed that his conclusion can be attributed to "most" Atheists and religious. It is left for him to demonstrate how that comment holds true from his experience. Otherwise he would just be committing a very common fallacy.

From his experience? He clearly stated from that it is from his experience. He never said that it was 100% consistent fact

You are empty
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 12:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

i think here is an answer

Babadeen: You dont even have to believe his experience, just look at many atheistic countries and compare them with religious ones
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

Always looking for fallacies where there are none.

You really can't see the fallacy? Wow!!!

Babadeen:
You dont even have to believe his experience, just look at many atheistic countries and compare them with religious ones

If by "Atheistic countries" you mean contries who practiced state Atheism then let's bring out a classic country who did that. Russia! Go back and check what happened when that was done and come talk to us again!

And really this is irrelevant to the discuss cause he clearly drew from his personal experience.
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

i think here is an answer

Wrong answer!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by dekung(m): 12:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

You really can't see the fallacy? Wow!!!

If by "Atheistic countries" you mean contries who practiced state Atheism then let's bring out a classic country who did that. Russia! Go back and check what happened when that was done and come talk to us again!

And really this is irrelevant to the discuss cause he clearly drew from his personal experience.

Am not getting something here, Is communism the same thing as atheism?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Russia
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
dekung:

Am I getting something wrong here? Is communism the same thing as atheism?

I don't mean communism!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

I don't mean communism!

... so what did you mean? ehn?
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by dekung(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

I don't mean communism!
so what do you mean. Was there anytime when Russian government advocated for atheism?
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by italo: 12:31pm On Mar 07, 2013
benodic:

Who declares what are "the principles of life?"

If you believed in "letting others be," you wouldn't be on this "Religion Section."

How do you know human interaction was meant to be a wonderful thing...if there's no God?
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 12:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
italo:

Who declares what are "the principles of life?"

If you believed in "letting others be," you wouldn't be on this "Religion Section."

How do you know human interaction was meant to be a wonderful thing...if there's no God?

We declare what principles we want to live by - No Gods needed!

Religion is not meant for Christians only - the Mods said atheists should use this section too!

Human interactions are wonderful, that is how we know - No Gods needed

No Gods needed because THERE IS NO GOD!!.
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

... so what did you mean? ehn?

State Atheism!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
dekung:
so what do you mean. Was there anytime when Russian government advocated for atheism?

Yes, there was a time!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 12:40pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

State Atheism!

Never heard of anything like that!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 12:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

State Atheism!

There is no such thing as state atheism. You mean communism.

After reading a lot of biased accounts of history, I can gather this conclusion.

Youd be hard pressed to find an example outside a communist state
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

Never heard of anything like that!

I guess you haven't heard cause the term is really not common. See below:

State atheism is the official promotion of atheism by a government, sometimes combined with active suppression of religious freedom and practice. In contrast, a secular state purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. State atheism may refer to a government's anti-clericalism, which opposes religious institutional power and influence in all aspects of public and political life, including the involvement of religion in the everyday life of the citizen.
State promotion of atheism as a public norm was first practiced during a brief period in Revolutionary France. Since then, such a policy was repeated only in Revolutionary Mexico and some communist states. The Soviet Union had a long history of state atheism, in which social success largely required individuals to profess atheism and stay away from houses of worship; this attitude was especially militant during the middle Stalinist era from 1929โ€“1939. The Soviet Union attempted to suppress public religious expression over wide areas of its influence, including places such as central Asia.

Ref: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

There is no such thing as state atheism. You mean communism.

After reading a lot of biased accounts of history, I can gather this conclusion.

Youd be hard pressed to find an example outside a communist state

Concluding without confirming again! Let me know when you are upto speed on the term "State Atheism".
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 12:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

State atheism is the official promotion of atheism by a government, sometimes combined with active suppression of religious freedom and practice. In contrast, a secular state purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. State atheism may refer to a government's anti-clericalism, which opposes religious institutional power and influence in all aspects of public and political life, including the involvement of religion in the everyday life of the citizen.
State promotion of atheism as a public norm was first practiced during a brief period in Revolutionary France. Since then, such a policy was repeated only in Revolutionary Mexico and some communist states. The Soviet Union had a long history of state atheism, in which social success largely required individuals to profess atheism and stay away from houses of worship; this attitude was especially militant during the middle Stalinist era from 1929โ€“1939. The Soviet Union attempted to suppress public religious expression over wide areas of its influence, including places such as central Asia.

PEACEFUL STATE ATHEISM MIGHT HELP ERADICATE RELIGION
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

PEACEFUL STATE ATHEISM MIGHT HELP ERADICATE RELIGION

The problem there is that there can never be anything as a peaceful State Atheism! In order to attempt to stop religion, there must be violence.

One cannot adopt Atheism for a state with flowers in hand. Peoples rights have to be trampled upon and before that can be done, power has to be taken through the barrel of a gun in line with the philosophy of Mao Tse Tung.
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 1:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Read my comment again and you will find that I have come across the term but it is a meaningless term in history and context.

I have read the biased wikipedia page long a ago.

I repeat, you'd be hard pressed to find a government outside communist regimes that you can find as state atheism

[size=18pt]
You didnt read the biased wikipedia article
-The wikipedia article wrongly lists a french revolution which was partly against the church as state atheism which is wrong as it was never an atheist state
-The wikipedia lists Mexico's anti-catholicism/church revolution as state atheism while failing to not that it did nothing to pagan traditions of indenious people and it was only against the church[/size]
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by ooman(m): 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

The problem there is that there can never be anything as a peaceful State Atheism! In order to attempt to stop religion, there must be violence.

One cannot adopt Atheism for a state with flowers in hand. Peoples rights have to be trampled upon and before that can be done, power has to be taken through the barrel of a gun in line with the philosophy of Mao Tse Tung.

You and i both know that war and violence are not constant. Atheists are pacifists, maybe the older generation got it wrong but the new generation will get it right.

We will not even need to persuade people anymore, so many are now realizing that religion leads no where and are becoming atheists. before long, everyone will willingly become atheists, even you.!!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

Read my comment again and you will find that I have come across the term but it is a meaningless term in history and context.

I have read the biased wikipedia page long a ago.

I repeat, you'd be hard pressed to find a government outside communist regimes that you can find as state atheism

[size=18pt]
You didnt read the biased wikipedia article
-The wikipedia article wrongly lists a french revolution which was partly against the church as state atheism which is wrong as it was never an atheist state
-The wikipedia lists Mexico's anti-catholicism/church revolution as state atheism while failing to not that it did nothing to pagan traditions of indenious people and it was only against the church[/size]

#Ignored!!!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

You and i both know that war and violence are not constant. Atheists are pacifists, maybe the older generation got it wrong but the new generation will get it right.

War and violence are not constant but they have a way of resurfacing when injustice takes precedence. To deny people of their rights is unjust and where injustice flourishes, peace will be elusive.

ooman:
We will not even need to persuade people anymore, so many are now realizing that religion leads no where and are becoming atheists. before long, everyone will willingly become atheists, even you.!!

Dream!!!
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 1:19pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman:

lol....there is no such thing as state atheism. These christians will distort history to bash atheism. They take the anti-religious ideology of communism to mean state atheism. Just call it communism
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

#Ignored!!!

smiley smiley

Ignoring the truth grin grin grin grin grin

At least, it would be clear to other christians the lies that some apologists like you need to tell to bash atheism
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

lol....there is no such thing as state atheism. These christians will distort history to bash atheism. They take the anti-religious ideology of communism to mean state atheism. Just call it communism

You don't even know what communism is.
Re: Marriage To An Atheist - The Best Experience Of My Life by Babadeen(m): 1:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

You don't even know what communism is.

lol........wow, after shouting that people are making fallacies up and down, you come here with this ad hominem/unfounded assumption about me?

This same tool that doesnt have a clue about the state atheism that he is writing about

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day: He Will Be Our Peace ยป Micah 5:5 / Nigerian Atheist: / Dominion 2019 Intercessory Prayer Guidelines App.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.