Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,628 members, 7,889,012 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:25 PM

I’m Benefiting From Awo’s Largesse Again - Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Benefiting From Awo’s Largesse Again - Soyinka (1373 Views)

Physically Challenged Persons Fight Over N15m NDDC Largesse / APGA Members May Storm Otuoke Over Unpaid Election Largesse / 'Those Who Squandered Jonathan’s 'N2 Trillion' Campaign Largesse' - Encomium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’m Benefiting From Awo’s Largesse Again - Soyinka by 1dickatatime: 1:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
TWENTY-SEVEN years after, memory of Africa’s laureate history came alive on Wednesday, as the first African Nobel laureate for Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka, repeated the feat as the first ever Obafemi Awolowo laureate.
Soyinka, who was honoured in 1986 in Norway as the first African Nobel laureate, was inaugurated as the winner of the inaugural Obafemi Awolowo prize for leadership by President Goodluck Jonathan, at an impressive ceremony organised by the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation.
Reacting to the repeating of history, Soyinka said he was simply benefitting from Awolowo’s largesse again, saying that “today’s event may yet make a Christian out of me – since, from my admittedly imperfect recollection of the Christian bible – somewhere, it is written: to him who hath, even more shall be given.
“Despite the numerous explications I have encountered from childhood regarding that problematic passage, I have never been at ease with its implicit inequity.
“Today, however, I am setting aside all such objections. I was a beneficiary of the liberal educational policy – at tertiary level - of the man whose memory we are here to honour, and now, today, I find myself recipient of yet another largesse, an inestimable honour at the hands - albeit posthumously – of that same sage. As a small return, therefore, in tribute to some of those qualities which, in varying degrees, many of us admired in him, such as the principle of forthrightness, I intend to be blunt.”
The event, which halted Lagos for the better part of the evening, had almost all the who-is-who in Nigeria from different callings, professions and political hues in attendance, with Vice-President Nnamadi Sambo representing President Jonathan, who described Soyinka as a worthy winner, adding that “Soyinka fits the award because he is imbued with leadership qualities that marked Awolowo out. It is also in tune with the transformation agenda of our government which recognises quality in leadership and service.”
Jonathan also recalled the roles played by Soyinka in the enthronement of democracy in the country and as the pioneer boss of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).
Harbour Point in Victoria Island, the venue of the event, was temporarily the place to be on Tuesday evening while the event, which started a few minutes after 4.00 p.m lasted, with the arrivals of dignitaries from all walks of life creating a spectacle in the high-brow area of Lagos.
The hall hosting the event was a beauty to behold, as leaders of government and giants in public and private sectors streaming into the beautifully-decorated hall to celebrate Soyinka, who was immaculately decked in simple kaftan-style outfit made from Aso-Oke fabrics.
As early as 3.00 p.m, the hall was already agog with gaily-dressed guests, while a stand-by band was belting sonorous songs in major Nigerian languages to reflect the nationalistic significance of the history-making event.
The rendition of the National Anthem was followed by the welcome speech of the Executive Director of the Foundation, Dr Olatokunbo Awolowo-Dosumu, who noted that Soyinka’s choice had been widely acclaimed, adding that what set the awardee apart from others was his doggedness and courage, among others, in fighting for the enthronement of democracy from his youth.
She further stated that the choice of Soyinka had brought the foundation closer to its mandate, which was mainly about building and sustaining leadership.
She, however, gave the last word of her speech to her father, Chief Awolowo, whose various speeches on the essence of ideal governance were relayed electronically to wild and sustained applause from the audience.
The chairman of the Award Selection Committee, former Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, regaled the audience with the process that led to the history being made by Soyinka.
According to him, “the prize is established to encourage, recognise, reward and celebrate excellence in Nigerian leadership. It is awarded to a Nigerian who has demonstrated excellence in leadership and good governance, a Nigerian who has made relevant vital contributions within the country or abroad. The recipient could be a former head of government at various tier of government, a vice chancellor of university, community leader and a contributor to good governance and leadership through advocacy, such as a human rights activist.
“The prize comprises a medal, a certificate and a plaque, and it will be awarded every two years. The maiden edition is taking place today, the 6th of March, 2013 which is the birthday of Chief Obafemi Awolowo.”
Before Professor Emeritus, Olu Akinkugbe, also a member of the selection committee, was called to read the citation of the laureate, Awolowo’s life, times and leadership attributes came to life on the numerous screens adorning the event venue, with the audience appreciating what he represented in good governance, as different events that shaped his legend were relayed and a youthful Awolowo was seen espousing different mantra of good governance and purposeful leadership.
With Soyinka standing ramrod on the podium, Akinkugbe went down the memory lane by saying that the last time the awardee and him shared a stage was during a pugilist experience, the winner of which he was not ready to disclose; throwing the entire arena into a fit of laughter.
He noted that in the Western world, laureates were not always introduced, with only their names mentioned, because “they always carry names that say everything about them.”
He, however, went on to tell the audience about the Soyinka that he knew; the dogged human right fighter who he further described as “a man who lays claim to attributes that distinguished Awolowo. He has demonstrated what leadership is. He has, among others, led protests for worthy causes. A defender of the defenseless. A man who stands to be counted, an Ombudsman extraordinaire. The honour was so well deserved.”
At exactly 5.30 p.m, Soyinka cemented history of the Awolowo Leadership Award when President Jonathan, represented by Vice President Sambo, decorated him with the laureate medal.
A plaque and certificate were added to complete his “ordination.”
In the speech of the chairman of the Foundation, General Yakubu Gowon, he described Soyinka as “a living legend, who believes that we can all build a good society if we set our mind to it,” while lauding Awolowo as a leader with evergreen memorial.
He also said of the awardee: “At the risk of preaching to the converted, I will like to add that this award is a further challenge for him in the crusade for social justice, as well as excellence in scholarly pursuit.”
The hall, at that moment erupted into a celebration, with dignitaries cutting the award cake with him, as celebratory mood enveloped the hall which had in its belly the likes of former head of state, General Gowon; Governors Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo), Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun), Rauf Aregbesola (Osun), Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti) and Babangida Aliyu (Niger).
Other dignitaries included former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu; national chairman of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Chief Bisi Akande; Senator Biyi Durojaye, Senator Felix
Ibru, Chief Ayo Adebanjo; Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe, Chief Adekunle Ojora, Erelu Ojuolape Ojora, Mrs Kemi Mimiko, Chief Julius Adeluyi, High Chief Bayo Akinnola, Professor Tunde Adeniran, Chief Supo Shonibare, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo, Yinka Odumakin, Sola Ebisemi, Professor Ben Nwabueze, Jimi Agbaje, Chief Gani Adams, Alhaji Yerima and Tony Uranta.
The list also had Chief Demola Seriki, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; the Olugbo of Ugboland, Oba Akinruntan Obateru, General Alani Akinrinade, Prince Bola Ajibola, Professor Akin Oyebode, Dr Bayo Kuku, Professor Jubril Aminu, Mrs Kofo Bucknor-Akerele, Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi, Dr Wale Oke, Chief Donald Duke, Daisy Danjuma, Bisi Olatilo, Segun Awolowo (Jr), top diplomats, captains of industry and traditional rulers, clerics, among others.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/6811-i-m-benefiting-from-awo-s-largesse-again-soyinka
Re: I’m Benefiting From Awo’s Largesse Again - Soyinka by Tolexander: 1:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
1dickatatime: TWENTY-SEVEN years after, memory of Africa’s laureate history came alive on Wednesday, as the first African Nobel laureate for Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka, repeated the feat as the first ever Obafemi Awolowo laureate.
PROFESSOR OLUWOLE SOYINKA! Nobel lureate 1986. I.e winner of literature nobel prize in1986.
First african since 1922.

1dickatatime: Soyinka, who was honoured in 1986 in Norway as the first African Nobel laureate, was inaugurated as the winner of the inaugural Obafemi Awolowo prize for leadership by President Goodluck Jonathan, at an impressive ceremony organised by the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation.
foundation to celebrate the only nigerian sage with wisdom and brain.
1dickatatime: Reacting to the repeating of history, Soyinka said he was simply benefitting from Awolowo’s largesse –. I was a beneficiary of the liberal educational policy – at tertiary level - of the man whose memory we are here to honour,
had soyinka not benefitted from the free education, maybe he would be elewe omo, tokyo and adedibu's colleague now.
1dickatatime: and now, today, I find myself recipient of yet another largesse, an inestimable honour at the hands - albeit posthumously – of that same sage.
hear the man that values intelligence and legacy of the sage.
1dickatatime: .
The rendition of the National Anthem was followed by the welcome speech of the Executive Director of the Foundation, Dr Olatokunbo Awolowo-Dosumu
not irrational memoir.

(1) (Reply)

35 Bodies ‘In Military Uniform’ At Yobe Morgue After Boko Haram Raid / Cartoon Of Madam Needful / APC Leaders To March On INEC On Today...Warn Police Against Stopping Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.