Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,453 members, 7,878,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 01:17 PM

Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market (5340 Views)

Agatu Massacre: Victims Accuse Buhari’s Govt Of Insensitivity - VANGUARD / Buhari Team Accuse Ambassador Joy Ogwu Of Sabotage / PDP Accuses INEC, APC Of Burning Non-indigenes' Pvcs In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by gramci: 7:48am On Mar 09, 2013
Disaster struck Thursday night, as fire razed down the entire Ifelodun Plank Market located at Ketu, Lagos. No life was, however, lost. The fire was said to have started hours after the market had closed for the day. The fire, which started about 9pm, was said to have spread quickly throughout the market, threatening surrounding residential buildings. This happened before the fire servicepersonnel got to the scene. It is not clear as to what could have caused the outbreak. According to an eyewitness and a resident who identified himself as Ganiu Banire: “The fire started at about9pm. We tried to help out, but the market was under lock and key.
Even when the firefighters arrived, they had to forcefully break down the door as the security men mysteriously disappeared. The fire raged till about 5am when it was contained by the firefighters.” Meanwhile, the chairman of Ifelodun Plank Market Association, Alhaji Aliyu Bello, lamented that the mystery behind the fire could be traced to an age-long tussle between the traders and the local government. “The fire started around 9.30pm. We rushed down here but it was so much that the fire service could not gain entry to the area on time. The way it escalated makes the fire suspicious. I am not surprised that this happened because there has been a tussle on the ownership of the land between the local government and we the traders for some years now.”
Weeping profusely, one of the shop owners, who identified himself as Salami, lamented thathe was still recovering from a similar disaster that happened two years ago. “I lost everythingin 2010 and government did nothing to help us. I had no choice but to borrow from the bank to continue my business and I’m yet to offset my bill. The local government has tried severally to take control of this market but we refused. They have succeeded because they are aware that most of us do nothave Certificates of Occupany. I am finished,” he sobbed. On what could have caused the fire, Salami alleged that it would not be put beyond the government, saying that government must have conspired with the securitymen to set the market on fire. “They were supposed to be around, but on this very day, they were nowhere to be found. It was planned.”
Narrating his ordeal, Ismail Aliu, who sells building materials at the market, said: “I was at home when I received a call that the market was on fire. I thought it was a part of the market that was on fire, but when I got here, I found out that it affected all theshops and there was no way we could get our goods out becausethe place was under lock and key.” Also accusing government,the Chief Imam of Ifelodun Central Mosque, said Agboyi Ketu LCDA is a suspect in this matter. According to him, the local government had approached the traders, informing them of its intention tore-model the market, but the traders refused. “Now they haveburnt down the market so that they will do it by force and sell the market,” he said.
The mosque was also burnt. He, however, maintained that the traders would resist governmenttake-over of the market. Anotherresident, who identified himself as Peter Agbor, also blamed the government for the inferno. “Why is it that in Lagos State any that market gets burnt, whatwe see next is the government taking over the market? It is a question we should ask ourselves? People are suffering. Iknow some people that have more than eight shops here. What is their fate now? I repeat, why is it that markets in Lagos State get burnt and the next thing we see is the government taking over the market and start selling per-square metre at N200,000 like what happened in Tejuosho market? The question is, is this not planned, because when the fire broke out, the security men were nowhere to be found?”
Meanwhile, the Commissioner for Special Duties, Dr Wale Ahmed, who visited the scene, said that the site would be cordoned off to prevent collateral damage or secondary problem and prevent people from endangering their lives. DrWale, who stated this while addressing the marketers, also promised that government would return the land to those who can produce documents of rightful ownership. “There is no discussion on demolition or anything at the moment. The main concern is to put out the fire. It would be cordoned off, fumigated, graded and levelled. What would happen to the site isnot an issue for now; we are justconcerned about putting the sitein order for now. “We have instituted a lot of regime of fire safety but sometimes, no matterwhat precaution we put in place,accidents still happen.
We still don’t know what caused this fire. That would be revealed in the investigation we would carry out,” he promised. Directorof Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, told reporters thatit was their timely intervention that prevented the fire from spreading to residential buildings. “We got there few minutes after the fire started and you know the rate at which planks burn. When we arrived there, we discovered that the fire was seriously raging. I immediately dispatched two vehicles, which they told me were not enough. I then sent another three to help out. “I had to bring vehicles from other stations to complement the efforts of the ones that were on ground. The challenge we met here made it impossible for our men to reduce the extent of damage. My men were manhandled by people who werestruggling that their own axis beattended to first. It was the timely intervention of our men that stopped the fire from spreading to residential buildings.” It could be recalled that the market witnessed a nasty fire outbreak in August 2010.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/blame-game-over-ketu-fire/

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by PointB: 8:14am On Mar 09, 2013
Also accusing government,the Chief Imam of Ifelodun Central Mosque, said Agboyi Ketu LCDA is a suspect in this matter. According to him, the local government had approached the traders, informing them of its intention to re-model the market, but the traders refused.
“Now they haveburnt down the market so that they will do it by force and sell the market,” he said.

A very weighty allegation. Government over to you!

3 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by gbadexy(m): 8:35am On Mar 09, 2013
I think the suspicion of the marketers are well founded.
The commissioner said those with C of O would be given back their land and the place would be graded for what he cant say for now.
The marketers already said they burnt the place because they know they don't have C of O.
So many families would be devastated now because of the greed of some bas.tards. God alone knows how many of those traders would die from the loss.
After grading it, they will now build a fancy complex with A.C that the masses can't buy.
I don't even bother •̸Ϟ•̸yself if all this politician steal money but deliberately destroying the source of livelihood of people struggling to survive is a very wicked act. I don't know for certain but if its true, all of dem go see am now.

5 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Ngwakwe: 8:44am On Mar 09, 2013
The traders should make sure they have the facts and the reasons for suspecting the government before coming up with such a weighty accusation.

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Maxymilliano(m): 9:29am On Mar 09, 2013
Comment by a poster recently on the fire incidence which seems to aligned with position of the marketers.

acidtalk: Shebi God said He will end the world by fire and not by water again?

The way fire incidence keeps cropping up is alarming not to talk of the Hell fire like temperature during the day.

feel so sad for the residence that had to suffer for what they know nothing about.

Fashola don get excuse to take over this market again and give it to privates hands who inturn will demand for ridiculous millions of naira.

Yaba Market, Mushin, Ogusanya Shopping mall and now this one. Fashola don dey hammer big time oh!

The suspicions of the marketers may not be totally unfounded or out of place after all...

3 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Akshow: 9:29am On Mar 09, 2013
From the way one market after the other is getting burnt these days, I'm tempted to believe there is a foul play.

3 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 09, 2013
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Regiblinkz(m): 9:52am On Mar 09, 2013
Government at work....

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 9:55am On Mar 09, 2013
The Progressives at work

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by theripper: 9:58am On Mar 09, 2013
Fashola definately has arsonists on his pay-roll. Where are the usual suspects u would find on the "first Street Light" brouhaha.

Garri, Eko Ile and Eko Atlantic. We dey see una work, who dey buy the fuel among una?

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by GenOrumov: 10:04am On Mar 09, 2013
While the allegations of these marketers that have been laid at the doorsteps of Government shouldn't be dismissed as rubbish talk but we all as well know that many of us care less when it comes to issues of safety (we are always say nothing can happen). Even PHCN shouldn't be left out of this issue.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by UnknownMember: 10:17am On Mar 09, 2013
This is a lesson to Plank marketers...

In Port Harcourt, there is one in Iloabuchi. Whenever I visit that Market, I wonder how these people can operate under such conditions. Infact, you can't see the solid ground anymore. You are walking on over 5 meters think/high wood shavings. In the case of a fire outbreak in that market, I'm sorry, all shops there will be burnt down in matter of minutes. Those wood shavings are worse than petrol. A cigarette stub dropped carelessly on the ground, PHCN fluctuations, a badly kept lantern or even lighting sef and that market is definitely going down. And the access to the market is so poor that fire fighters would be handicapped to help..

I pity the traders sha. But Fashola should step in, rebuild that market and put in place proper waste management systems for them. All wood shavings must be swept up and properly disposed of. The inferno I saw in the photos, it is a miracle that residential houses weren't affected.looked like a U.S bush fire.

3 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by nbright: 10:24am On Mar 09, 2013
PointB:

A very weighty allegation. Government over to you!
As usual they will blame Goodluck Jonathan and P.D.P... Just wait and see.... They do it like shifting cultivation, the only difference is they do put the blame on a particular group of individuals... Edited

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by KINGwax(m): 10:28am On Mar 09, 2013
Unknown Member: This is a lesson to Plank marketers...

In Port Harcourt, there is one in Iloabuchi. Whenever I visit that Market, I wonder how these people can operate under such conditions. Infact, you can't see the solid ground anymore. You are walking on over 5 meters think/high wood shavings. In the case of a fire outbreak in that market, I'm sorry, all shops there will be burnt down in matter of minutes. Those wood shavings are worse than petrol. A cigarette stub dropped carelessly on the ground, PHCN fluctuations, a badly kept lantern or even lighting sef and that market is definitely going down. And the access to the market is so poor that fire fighters would be handicapped to help..

I pity the traders sha. But Fashola should step in, rebuild that market and put in place proper waste management systems for them. All wood shavings must be swept up and properly disposed of. The inferno I saw in the photos, it is a miracle that residential houses weren't affected.looked like a U.S bush fire.
ur comment gives d hope dt we still av sensible ppl who reason with grt logic. At least it allows for solution to be reached instead of the usual pointing game that takes u nowhere!

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by talktimi(m): 10:43am On Mar 09, 2013
Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three time is ......
I no talk anything o, but I believe traders in Nigeria should start thinking about insurance.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 10:47am On Mar 09, 2013

in humid Lagos and PHC the flames will not have spread so fast and would have been easily controlled.

This is pure arson, the place was doused with fuel and the guards mysteriously vanished.

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by sko(m): 10:51am On Mar 09, 2013
Soon as I learnt there was fire outbreak at that Ketu Market, I sensed foul play on the side of govt to take over the market.
And I ask, "can't govt take over a market without first hearing of a fire incidence at the market?"
[b]Soon as I learnt there was fire outbreak at that Ketu Market, I sensed foul play on the side of govt to take over the market.
And I ask, "can't govt take over a market without first hearing of a fire incidence at the market?"
[/b]Soon as I learnt there was fire outbreak at that Ketu Market, I sensed foul play on the side of govt to take over the market.

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by jmaine: 10:57am On Mar 09, 2013
Le Ostrich:

in humid Lagos and PHC the flames will not have spread so fast and would have been easily controlled.

This is pure arson, the place was doused with fuel and the guards mysteriously vanished.

How does humidity impact heavily on fire spread, when it has the benefit of highly combustible material packed close to each other

Guess your not aware that wood shavings are extremely combustible material . . .

Nice post saturated with intellectual and factual input . . .Now isn't the period to start blaming the LASG . . .

That market was already primed up for an inferno considering the glaring lack of safety awareness in our mentality . . .
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 11:04am On Mar 09, 2013
jmaine:

How does humidity impact heavily on fire spread when it has the benefit of hoghly combustible material packed close to each other

Guess your not aware that wood shavings are extremely combustible material . . .

The humidity won't be a problem if arson involving additional flammable solvents are added.

I can imagine how the market will be, with wet wood shavings and mud from the constant daily rains and high humidity.

These markets have existed long before your apocalyptic warnings.

So please just shut up and think before you post more rubbish

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by GARRIx7(m): 11:12am On Mar 09, 2013
What fire prevention measures were put in place by the traders??

You cannot be trading in something that is‎​ highly combustible and not put in place necessary preventive measures.

Very easy to blame others when the Cause is‎​ staring right at you when you look in the mirror..

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by talktimi(m): 11:13am On Mar 09, 2013
I saw this issue on the news yesterday night and I believe for the traders to boldly come out pointing accusing fingers at the govt, then they have a valid reason for that suspicion. The only thing is our police can't be trusted to handle un biased investigations especially when it involves the govt.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by jmaine: 11:31am On Mar 09, 2013
Le Ostrich:

I can imagine how the market will be, with wet wood shavings and mud from the constant daily rains and high humidity

Constant daily rains in Lagos especially during this period . . . . . . .You are highly ignorant my friend so shut it . .

Your imagination is useless . . . .

Le Ostrich:

These markets have existed long before your apocalyptic warnings.

More ediotic retort . . .An accident waiting to happen can happen at any given point in time when the causal factors are in place . . .

It takes only a trigger to tip the scale towards disaster . .The trigger could be Intentional as in your assertion or via human errors e.t.c )

Le Ostrich:
So please just shut up and think before you post more rubbish

Your aggression is useless here . . . . Stop nurturing your blind spot of thinking only Arson could have resulted in that disaster . . . .
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by true2god: 11:33am On Mar 09, 2013
gbadexy: I think the suspicion of the marketers are well founded.
The commissioner said those with C of O would be given back their land and the place would be graded for what he can say for now.
The marketers already said they burnt the place because they know they down have C of O.
So many families would be devastated now because of the greed of some bas.tards. God alone knows how many of those traders would die from the loss.
After grading it, the will now build a fancy complex with A.C that the masses can't buy.
I don't even bother •̸Ϟ•̸yself if all this politician steal money but deliberately destroying the source of livelihood of people struggling to survive is a very wicked act. I don't know for certain but if its true, all of dem go see am now.
Up ACN! Eko Onibaje, obaje ti.

Evil and greedy party. PDP is far better dan this charlatans. 'The devil u knw is better than......

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 11:34am On Mar 09, 2013
jmaine:

Constant daily rains in Lagos especially during this period . . . . . . .You are highly ignorant my friend so shut it . .

Your imagination is useless . . . .

More ediotic retort . . .An accident waiting to happen can happen at any given point in time when the causal factors are in place . . .

It takes only a trigger to tip the scale towards disaster . .The trigger could be Intentional as in your assertion or via human errors e.t.c )

Your aggression is useless here . . . . Stop nurturing your blind spot of thinking only Arson could have resulted in that disaster . . . .

obvious loner wanting a discussion badly
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 11:38am On Mar 09, 2013
true2god: Up ACN! Eko Onibaje, obaje ti.

Evil and greedy party. PDP is far better dan this charlatans. 'The devil u knw is better than......

ACN has held a vice grip on Lagos since 1999 with nothing but rhetoric and a f00l hardy enterprise of ocean sand filling to show for it.

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by jmaine: 11:38am On Mar 09, 2013
Le Ostrich:

obvious loner wanting a discussion badly

Spewing bullshyte confidently here is prohibited . . So been accosted for your foolish attempt is in order . . .

Now behave yourself . . . . .
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 11:49am On Mar 09, 2013
jmaine:

Spewing bullshyte confidently here is prohibited . . So been accosted for your foolish attempt is in order . . .

Now behave yourself . . . . .

speak-edee-English?

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by calcal: 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2013
make the group voodoo the guys not to life see the renovation simple.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by UnknownMember: 12:12pm On Mar 09, 2013
gbadexy: I think the suspicion of the marketers are well founded.
The commissioner said those with C of O would be given back their land and the place would be graded for what he can say for now.
The marketers already said they burnt the place because they know they down have C of O.
After grading it, the will now build a fancy complex with A.C that the masses can't buy.

[b]So you want the government to give lands back to people that don't have C of O's!?

Do you also have a problem with the government building a World class wood market after this inferno!?

I really don't understand your point. Last time I checked, Certificate of Occupancy was the only proof of legal ownership of landed properties on Nigeria. If the government disregards the presentation of documents of ownership, don't you think that every Tom Dick and Harry would come out and lay claims to properties that weren't theirs to start with!? Do you know the kind of chaos that could arise from that!?

Yes! If a new market is built, the prices of the stalls will be high. That's why Banks and co-operatives exists. These Traders can access the micro finance loans available all over the country. They can also form partnerships and acquire these properties. Why would you oppose progress. I would be disappointed if after this inferno, the market returns to what it was without any improvements.

In Port-Harcourt, a fire burnt down Mile One market a few years back. The government stepped in and rebuilt a world class market there complete with Fire hydrants and fire access points plus fire exits. The new market is way better than the old. Development is expensive and we must embrace it.[/b]
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by gbadexy(m): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
Have you even seen where wood shavings burn? It is extremely difficult to burnt it.
What you will have is lots of smoke and it certainly doesn't spread well.
Also most of the planks at plank markets are still wet wood. You would ask specifically to get dry wood that has been cut and left to dry out over a period of time.
its not impossible for the wood shavings and planks to burn but I feel it would need to be accelerated to burn it fast.

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by sage2(m): 1:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
Are people just getting to know about this tactics that have been used by the Lagos State Government for years. Lagos State Government is an arsonist government, period.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bursted : Lying Buhari Supporter Exposed (pictures) / BREAKING NEWS- Pdp Wins 4 LGA In Lagos / Most Dangerous Drugs Produced In Anambra –NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.