Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,594 members, 7,888,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 05:54 PM

GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. (875 Views)

Alamieyeseigha And Other Lead APC In 2016 Gubernatorial Election In Bayelsa Stat / How Alamieyeseigha And Silva Looted Bayelsa Treasury? / Former Governor Of Bayelsa State, Dieprieye Solomon P Alamieyeseigha And Gej (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Slizbeat(m): 10:56pm On Mar 12, 2013
It seems like GEJ haters has written it on their foreheads that any thing about politics and the government that appears bad be blamed on GEJ.

Now I would educate you on what "Council of state" means.

The Council of State is a unique governmental body in a country or subdivision thereof, though its nature may range from the formal name for the cabinet to a non-executive advisory body surrounding a head of state. It is sometimes (arguably erroneously) regarded as the equivalent of a privy council
For more, see the page below:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_State

Now, for what the Nigerian Council of State means and its composition, see the quote below;

The Nigerian Council of State is an organ of the Nigerian Government. Its functions include advising the executive on policy making.

Composition

The Council of State consists of the following persons:

*. President , who is the Chairman;

*. Vice-President , who is the Deputy Chairman;

*. All former Presidents of the Federation and all former Heads of the Government of the Federation;

*. All former Chief Justices of Nigeria;

*. President of the Senate ;

*. Speaker of the House of Representatives;

*. All the Governors of the states of the Federation; and

*. Attorney-General of the Federation.

For more details, see the page below;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_State_(Nigeria)

So as much as I don't agree with what happened, I as much as I can try not rain abuse on any one who so ever. Why I just posted this here was some delusional humans that see nothing else than criticising GEJ in person to know the difference between "GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN" and "COUNCIL OF STATE"

This shows that it wasn't a one man decision but a collective one made by both the state governments and former heads of state still living.

Get things right, assimilate what you saw, reason it and then comment other than just moving straight to GEJ is this, or that.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by jjctonl: 11:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
And who do you think you are deceiving?

They all came to rubber stamp his proposal. QED

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Slizbeat(m): 11:16pm On Mar 12, 2013
jjc-to-nl:
And who do you think you are deceiving?

They all came to rubber stamp his proposal. QED

And why did they rubber stamp his proposal? Don't they know when to say YES and when to say NO? That means they all are integral materials of corruption.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by harrisnimasa(m): 11:34pm On Mar 12, 2013
"Jonathan did not pardon the"its Nairaland that pardoned him..Y ddnt they pardon Bode george,Almustapha,Tafa balogun etc i remember reading in one of the dailies when Alam was asking Jonathan to pardon that was shortly after he became president

1 Like

Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by MrGarri1: 11:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
Nonsense!!!

There's no way anyone can extricate GEJ from this....

sad
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Slizbeat(m): 11:45pm On Mar 12, 2013
Mr. Garri.:
Nonsense!!!

There's no way anyone can extricate GEJ from this....

sad

I personally wasn't calling for his vindication cos he is also among the members of the council of state. What I was calling for was to reduce the media hype by implicating all other members starting from the V.P to the AGF for making such as rash decision that was uncalled for.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by MrGarri1: 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2013
Slizbeat: I personally wasn't calling for his vindication cos he is also among the members of the council of state. What I was calling for was to reduce the media hype by implicating all other members starting from the V.P to the AGF for making such as rash decision that was uncalled for.

*Yawns*

1 Like

Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Slizbeat(m): 12:06am On Mar 13, 2013
Mr. Garri.:

*Yawns*

You need to. Hehegrin
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by mekaboy(m): 12:12am On Mar 13, 2013
Its time for a revolution. There is no future for the youths if these old criminals keep recycling themselves in different parties and names. Time to act is now. If we take the laws into our hands and state to eliminate them 1 by 1. Even if we are caught, we have the right to ask the to pardon us too.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by khadaffi(m): 12:23am On Mar 13, 2013
So what's the point here? Would it have made any difference if the president had said ''since i'm fighting corruption, i would not like to partake in this''?
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Ngwakwe: 12:50am On Mar 13, 2013
If Buhari was among them,that means most Nairalanders were fully represented.

Even people in Judiciary follow do such a thing.

No problem, we are watching Council of States
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 13, 2013
Slizbeat: It seems like GEJ haters has written it on their foreheads that any thing about politics and the government that appears bad be blamed on GEJ.

The Council of State is a unique governmental body in a country or subdivision thereof, though its nature may range from the formal name for the cabinet to a non-executive advisory body surrounding a head of state. It is sometimes (arguably erroneously) regarded as the equivalent of a privy council

Now, for what the Nigerian Council of State means and its composition, see the quote below;

So as much as I don't agree with what happened, I as much as I can try not rain abuse on any one who so ever. Why I just posted this here was some delusional humans that see nothing else than criticising GEJ in person to know the difference between "GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN" and "COUNCIL OF STATE"

This shows that it wasn't a one man decision but a collective one made by both the state governments and former heads of state still living.

Get things right, assimilate what you saw, reason it and then comment other than just moving straight to GEJ is this, or that.

Thanks.
@OP why do u choose to stand for a man that corruption is the blood that runs in is veins if not for money, my argument with you is that do you like the way GEJ is running this country?
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 13, 2013
Slizbeat: It seems like GEJ haters has written it on their foreheads that any thing about politics and the government that appears bad be blamed on GEJ.

Thanks.
@OP why do u choose to stand for a man that corruption is the blood that runs in is veins if not for money, my argument with you is that do you like the way GEJ is running this country?
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by omenka(m): 8:28am On Mar 13, 2013
Mr Sleaze-beat, stop trying to covertly defend and absolutely indefensible act. The idea to pardon that crook was jonathan's brainchild. He proposed it and the Council aproved.

If he hadn't brought up the idea, no one wldave thought anyfin about it period!

The blame therefore lies solely on him, and moreso, given his knack for chumming up with the sleaziest known criminals in the land.

Jonathan was a monumental mistake that was never meant to happen.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 13, 2013
Slizbeat:

And why did they rubber stamp his proposal? Don't they know when to say YES and when to say NO? That means they all are integral materials of corruption.

Mr Reno. Jona signs their gratuity cheques and controls all the sugary things/contracts they exist on.
They could not say NO.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by dapachez: 9:33am On Mar 13, 2013
If it was a worthy development it won't be council of state but GEJ did this and that,but in this very commendable not condemnable act its now the council of state well we got the leaders we voted for

Thanks.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 13, 2013
@Slizbeat, you are on a hiding to none here, I am sorry.
However you choose to spin this retrogressive decision, the buck ultimately stops with the President.

175. (1) The President may -

(a) grant any person concerned with or convicted of any offence created by an Act of the National Assembly a pardon, either free or subject to lawful conditions;

(b) grant to any person a respite, either for an indefinite or for a specified period, of the execution of any punishment imposed on that person for such an offence;

(c) substitute a less severe form of punishment for any punishment imposed on that person for such an offence; or

(d) remit the whole or any part of any punishment imposed on that person for such an offence or of any penalty or forfeiture otherwise due to the State on account of such an offence.

(2) The powers of the President under subsection (1) of this section shall be exercised by him after consultation with the Council of State.

(3) The President, acting in accordance with the advice of the Council of State, may exercise his powers under subsection (1) of this section in relation to persons concerned with offences against the army, naval or air-force law or convicted or sentenced by a court-martial.

Source

Pay close attention to clause (3) and you will understand where the remit for the council of state, which is no more than an advisory body, begins and ends.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by Slizbeat(m): 10:58am On Mar 13, 2013
eGuerrilla: @Slizbeat, you are on a hiding to none here, I am sorry.
However you choose to spin this retrogressive decision, the buck ultimately stops with the President.

Source

Pay close attention to clause (3) and you will understand where the remit for the council of state, which is no more than an advisory body, begins and ends.

Of course I noted clause (3). They as a an advisory body couldn't give a useful advice to the one who executes the rights to pardon. If they had, wouldn't alams still be an ex-convict by now?

To me, its never about who executes but who gave advices to the executors. When a president fails, then he has bad advisers and therefore the entire government is blamed, not just the president, and so needs to reshuffle his cabinet.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by ypzilanti: 12:21pm On Mar 13, 2013
GEJ defence: 'My council of state made me do it'.
Re: GEJ Never Pardoned Alamieyeseigha And Others, Council Of State Did. by slimghost(m): 12:32pm On Mar 13, 2013
Kamanda:

Mr Reno. Jona signs their gratuity cheques and controls all the sugary things/contracts they exist on.
They could not say NO.

If they could not say NO because of "sugary things", it then means they lack integrity. Both PDP and APC, so stop being sill.y.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

We Will Make Delsu A Worldclass University- Tony Elumelu / 39,880 Militants Firearms Ammunition Handed Over To Nigerian Army / All Ministers Must Be PDP Members - Tukur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.