Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,936 members, 7,890,085 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:01 AM

'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert (15025 Views)

The Seeds That Can Destroy Cancerous Cells / Can A Subcutaneous Mass(lipoma?) Of Over 5 Years Be Cancerous? / Sachet 'pure' Water Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by ceejay80s(m): 8:46pm On Mar 13, 2013
Dem say pure water exposed to heat or sun is bad, cold pure water too is bad. Plastic bottled water wey freeze for frigde too is bad, wetin make we dey drink? SAND?

1 Like

Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by mathylucas: 9:31pm On Mar 13, 2013
[quote author=iamswizz]Well.. As per sey sun dey beat person dis days .....Na only confirm cold pure water i dey drink sha..

Some are kept under The sun they put Them to cool
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Eziachi: 9:47pm On Mar 13, 2013
Why do they call these bottled or packaged water-PURE WATER?
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by aisog: 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
ola_pluto: Miss information. Gross misinformation in fact! What temperature is it that the water will be heated to to cause breakdown of materials in it? My country people, please ignore this report. You cannot get cancer from pure water in sachets. Quote me anywhere!
you be doctor ni? sad angry
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by olapluto(m): 11:16pm On Mar 13, 2013
PVY, polyvylchloride may be a risk factor in cancer, but it is very stable. It needs INTENSE UV radiation to cause dissociation or radiolysis of water. Radiolysed water OUTSIDE the body cannot do damages inside the body because it will be 'quenched' before entering the system. For the sort of cancer this prof is postulating to occur, you need dissociation or radiolysis WITHIN the body. And even then, the chances are quite small.
Therefore, my people, drink away your pure water!
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by omoijoba1: 12:22am On Mar 14, 2013
ola_pluto: Miss information. Gross misinformation in fact! What temperature is it that the water will be heated to to cause breakdown of materials in it? My country people, please ignore this report. You cannot get cancer from pure water in sachets. Quote me anywhere!
Supported! Besides, the PET chemical used in producing the nylon sachet is relatively stable to UV radiation from the sun. Thus, the possibility of cancer inducing chemical reaction is zero. Pls ignore this article, its a fallacy.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by lollarj(f): 12:41am On Mar 14, 2013
Ha haha !
U must be a purveyor of pure water. The article never mentioned anything abt radiation UV or otherwise. HEAT is the operating word not any particular radiation. The author of the article omitted the fact the HEAT could be from any source and still give the same result and not just heat from the sun.

omo_ijoba:
Supported! Besides, the PET chemical used in producing the nylon sachet is relatively stable to UV radiation from the sun. Thus, the possibility of cancer inducing chemical reaction is zero. Pls ignore this article, its a fallacy.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 14, 2013
Everything Causes Cancer
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by paul234(m): 3:41am On Mar 14, 2013
last to comment
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 6:17am On Mar 14, 2013
Way too many errors in some of the posts on here...

T-Spayne:
This article is not only true but also very incomplete.

1. All plastic foood packaging do contain hydrocarbons which are carcinogenic

1. Not all food packaging contain hydrocarbons.
2. your statement on hydrocarbons being carcinogenic is not really true. Aliphatic hydrocarbons for example are virtually harmless. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons (typically those containing greater than 3 rings) are carcinogenic. Nobody uses PACs for food packaging, there are mostly found in heavy fuels. Hydrocarbons that are sometimes included in some food packaging are mostly isoparaffins.

T-Spayne:

2. ANY extreme temprature hot or cold can cause the release of these hyrdrocarbons into food. Freezing as well as heating.

Frankly not true. This is a myth. Hydrocarbons are not released by heat and freezing.
the pure water satchets are polymers of ethylene... generally toxicologists regard polymers as harmless.

T-Spayne:

3. Many of these hydrocarbons are chemically identical to human Estrogens. An example is BPA. Bisphenol A.

lol bro this is pure nonsense.

1. Hydrocarbons by definition are substances that contain ONLY carbon and hydrogen.
2. Just by reading the name alone should tell you that bisphenol A contains a phenolic group! The word "bis" means 2 and phenol is a benzene ring with a hydroxyl group attached. this should be elementary organic chemistry really.
3. Most hydrocarbons used in day to day cosmetics, glues e.t.c. are paraffins which have no effect on the estrogen receptor.

T-Spayne:

4. Bisphenol A can cause breast and gynaecological cancers in women. Also it causes lowered sperm count and penis shrinkage in males.

There really is no evidence for the above. lol

T-Spayne:

Google is your friend.

indeed.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 6:20am On Mar 14, 2013
okon007: Prof. Amobi Ilika has advised those who consume sachet water (popularly called pure water) exposed to heat to be wary in order to avoid drinking cancerous substances.
Ilika, who is the Director of Community and Public Medicine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, said sachet water exposed to heat beyond room temperature could be cancerous.
He said the heat could melt some of the substances used in making the polythene bags.
According to him, the polythene bags contain cancerous materials that are harmful to the body.
“The most important is the deterioration of the water while in polythene bags made of synthetic petroleum; since the polythene bags are weather-sensitive.
“Some of the properties of the polythene bags made of synthetic petroleum product materials melt into the water after sun-ray or heat exposure.
“Thus, carcinogenic materials will drop into the water. The polythene bags also develop germs and micro organisms which enter the water through the deterioration of the polythene bag,’’ he said. (NAN)

http:///health/sachet.html

Prof Ilika needs to go back to school. polymers of ethylene are harmless.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 14, 2013
tashanja:

I quite concur, came accross this article carrying the same message, a friend forwarded it to my mail so I don't have the source; but will paste it here for anybody who wish to read it.

PLEASE FORWARD IT TO PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN  HOPKINS   HOSPITAL  , U S - PLEASE READ 1.   No plastic containers in micro.2.   No water bottles in freezer.3.   No plastic wrap in microwave. Johns  Hopkins  has recently sent this out in its newsletters.  This information is being circulated atWalter Reed  Army   Medical   Center  as well.  Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer.  Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.  Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.  Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at  Castle   Hospital  , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard.  He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.  He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers.  This especially applies to foods that contain fat.  He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the c ells of the body.  Instead, he recommends using glass, such as  Corning   Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food.  You get the same results, only without the dioxin.  So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else.  Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper.  It's just safer to use tempered glass,  Corning  Ware, etc.  He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper.  The dioxin problem is one of the reasons. Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave.  As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.  Cover food with a paper towel instead. This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life..

Dioxins were banned from consumer products as early as the 1960s. they are only found in trace quantities in pesticide formulations. Where do you all get these hilarious posts from? Mars?
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by saintneo(m): 6:51am On Mar 14, 2013
T-Spayne:
This article is not only true but also very incomplete.

1. All plastic foood packaging do contain hydrocarbons which are carcinogenic

2. ANY extreme temprature hot or cold can cause the release of these hyrdrocarbons into food. Freezing as well as heating.

3. Many of these hydrocarbons are chemically identical to human Estrogens. An example is BPA. Bisphenol A.

4. Bisphenol A can cause breast and gynaecological cancers in women. Also it causes lowered sperm count and penis shrinkage in males.

Google is your friend.

No wonder my 2" is no longer visible.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Druss(m): 7:58am On Mar 14, 2013
This is true for anything contained in plastic. BE very careful with such. When I buy CWAY or pseudoCWAY canisters, I avoid buying those in the sun. IF anything is left in the heat and it is contained in a plastic container, then I avoid it!!
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by nenergy(m): 8:14am On Mar 14, 2013
I don't know much about the science part of it, but i do know that "exposed" water (pure/bottled) tastes funny.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by lollarj(f): 8:47am On Mar 14, 2013
I think you better UPDATE yourself. You sound rather cocky and conceited, quoting paragraphs from over decade old organic chemistry text books. Have you even bothered to read any scientific papers on this subject in the last 5 years ??

davidylan:

Dioxins were banned from consumer products as early as the 1960s. they are only found in trace quantities in pesticide formulations. Where do you all get these hilarious posts from? Mars?
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Tobiustobius: 8:53am On Mar 14, 2013

Wallowing in ignorance and insisting on remaining in dangerous darkness. Carry on.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by molotov1: 9:01am On Mar 14, 2013
Pastor telling a Prof to go back to school.

How do you think he became a Prof in the first place ? By writing scientific journals or by making half-baked challenges to findings on empirical studies.
How would u like it if they said you need to go back to bible school ?
The prof is not alone, You're asking a whole lot of American and British scientists to go return to school. Organic chemistry is one subject but the effects on a human is a different kettle of fish entirely.

davidylan:

Prof Ilika needs to go back to school. polymers of ethylene are harmless.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by manugbo(m): 9:45am On Mar 14, 2013
BACK TO CLAY POT AKA UDU MIRI
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by manugbo(m): 9:47am On Mar 14, 2013
ceejay80s: Dem say pure water exposed to heat or sun is bad, cold pure water too is bad. Plastic bottled water wey freeze for frigde too is bad, wetin make we dey drink? SAND?

JUST GO BACK TO 1970SSSSSSSSSSSS
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by nairabacks(f): 9:59am On Mar 14, 2013
@ davidylan

I just goooooogled some stuff about Bisphenol A. Turns out that the poster T-spayne is right about them being 'potentially' dangerous. So I guess its not really the 'pure nonsense' you assume it is.

The US FDA can't be wrong, and although they're are removing these plastic products from circulation in USA, Nigeria remains one of the dumping grounds for these toxins.

For your perusal, (by no means exhaustive)

www.medicinenet.com/plastic/article.htm

www.lhwmp.org/home/chemtoxpesticides/bisphenola.aspx

davidylan:

lol bro this is pure nonsense.

1. Hydrocarbons by definition are substances that contain ONLY carbon and hydrogen.
2. Just by reading the name alone should tell you that bisphenol A contains a phenolic group! The word "bis" means 2 and phenol is a benzene ring with a hydroxyl group attached. this should be elementary organic chemistry really.

There really is no evidence for the above. lol

indeed.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by cigaricon(m): 10:47am On Mar 14, 2013
But why i never die up til now?
So what exactly do you want us to use in storing our water then, paper? undecided
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by RuuDie(m): 11:51am On Mar 14, 2013
Another unsubstantiated claim. . .smh
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by wvikky: 12:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
d man is nt talking abt d water itself but d containing synthetic polythene!!! Read btw d lines
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by oyinbogirl(f): 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
Unknown Member: Ok...

Government should then subsidize bottled water!! angry

Bottled water studies have shown plastics are made usually with Bisphenol A (BPA)

According to Scientific American, studies have shown that these chemicals can promote human breast cancer cell growth and lower sperm counts. Pregnant women, infants and children are especially at risk.

What’s more is that all of us have BPA in our systems. The U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) found traces of BPA in 93% of urine samples they took for a 2004 study.

Read more: http://www.moneycrashers.com/dangers-plastic-food-containers-bottles-bisphenol-a/#ixzz2NWFK6rV6
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by tashanja(m): 5:33pm On Mar 14, 2013
lollar j :
I think you better UPDATE yourself. You sound rather cocky and conceited, quoting paragraphs from over decade old organic chemistry text books. Have you even bothered to read any scientific papers on this subect in the last 5 years ??

Thank you very much, the man is so conceited and too eager to condemn, he didn't even bother to note the disclaimer in my post (concerning the source)- and evidently rushed to conclude and throw insult.

@davidylan, why not give us your source or at least copy and paste (as I did) from your Old Organic Chemistry Text Book, maybe we will all be convinced. lipsrsealed
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Dahbutter(m): 8:03pm On Mar 14, 2013

grin grin grin see as guy dey hala! Am sure u are scared your pure water business would be ruined by this report. Sorry to disappoint you but its true! it is as well for even plastic bottled water, plastic bottled soft drinks or what have you as long as it has been left under hot temperatures, be it in your car, outside on the stands, in the supply truck left under the sun or even stored in your hot kitchen. Better go and buy water filter or purifier.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 1:11am On Mar 15, 2013
nairabacks: @ davidylan

I just goooooogled some stuff about Bisphenol A. Turns out that the poster T-spayne is right about them being 'potentially' dangerous. So I guess its not really the 'pure nonsense' you assume it is.

The US FDA can't be wrong, and although they're are removing these plastic products from circulation in USA, Nigeria remains one of the dumping grounds for these toxins.

For your perusal, (by no means exhaustive)

Please note your use of the word "potential". Its a very common phrase used by regulatory bodies (EPA, FDA) to say basically this - we have no evidence that this substance is dangerous but since we cannot rule out "default mechanisms of disease" (default assumptions that no longer stand up to the scrutiny of broader weight of evidence), we are just going to slap the term "potential" on it and call it a day.

We have the same problem with phthalates. Unfortunately the general populace who are usually not well informed just trumpet the claims without any evidence. Please see the cartoon below to see how such nonsense gets reported in mainstream media as fact.

And oh just to burst the myth, the US regulators are wrong a lot of the time... the EPA is currently reversing its wrong claims on styrene and formaldehyde as we speak.

Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 1:13am On Mar 15, 2013
wvikky: d man is nt talking abt d water itself but d containing synthetic polythene!!! Read btw d lines

what's wrong with synthetic polythene?
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 1:15am On Mar 15, 2013
oyinbogirl:

Bottled water studies have shown plastics are made usually with Bisphenol A (BPA)

According to Scientific American, studies have shown that these chemicals can promote human breast cancer cell growth and lower sperm counts. Pregnant women, infants and children are especially at risk.

What’s more is that all of us have BPA in our systems. The U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) found traces of BPA in 93% of urine samples they took for a 2004 study.

Read more: http://www.moneycrashers.com/dangers-plastic-food-containers-bottles-bisphenol-a/#ixzz2NWFK6rV6

These claims have no evidence at all. With regard to the CDC study... i believe you are refering to the NHANES data... the only useful thing that exercise has shown us is that virtually everything possible does bioaccumulate in the body. The question is what is the threshold of effect? We dont know.
With the advent of sophisticated detection devices... you can find just about anything in blood and urine at picogram levels. Most of the time they mean absolutely nothing.
Re: 'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 15, 2013
lollar j :
I think you better UPDATE yourself. You sound rather cocky and conceited, quoting paragraphs from over decade old organic chemistry text books. Have you even bothered to read any scientific papers on this subject in the last 5 years ??

lol ma'am. I do this for a living... i dont need to "update" myself. And i'm not reading from old chemistry textbooks, i work with petroleum products daily so i know how to draw chemistry structures just from reading the name... you would think any serious chemistry student should be able to do this. The problem with many of you is that you feel that everyone is just as ignorant as you.

It is inexcusable for someone to claim that bisphenol A is a hydrocarbon. Did that person ever go to school? grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladies, Do You Wash Your New Bra Before Wearing? Then See This! / FG To Recover Millions Of Naira Wrongly Paid To 588 Doctors / Eating Too Much Fruits Can Cause Diabetes - Consultant Endocrinologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.