Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,541 members, 7,888,737 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:04 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491365 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by effulgence: 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2013
Greetings to all,please I want to know if its safe to use mastercard to book for flight ticket on www.expedia.com. I actually came across the site while looking for flights from new york to tri cities,TN. Kindly advice,thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 11:10pm On Jul 31, 2013
effulgence: Greetings to all,please I want to know if its safe to use mastercard to book for flight ticket on www.expedia.com. I actually came across the site while looking for flights from new york to tri cities,TN. Kindly advice,thank you

People book on expedia but I use expedia to compare prices and schedule from the airline website whenever traveling within US. You can check with united, I use them and they are good for the price.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by iamchux: 11:10pm On Jul 31, 2013
OjaP: @ the guy that is schooling in Ghana.

Ivy League schools are good but doesn't translate to automatic job especially for an int'l student. If in doubt, attend the next SPE conference and you will be amazed by the thousands of Ivy league graduates looking for jobs.

Advice: Whichever school you attend, make sure you get good grades and don't be a LEARNER in the US. I rest my case.

@the bold: Word of advice from the Boss himself...Had to bookmark that sentence in my brain.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by effulgence: 11:25pm On Jul 31, 2013
imperiouxx:

People book on expedia but I use expedia to compare prices and schedule from the airline website whenever traveling within US. You can check with united, I use them and they are good for the price.
Thanks imperiouxx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 4:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Edman2012:

@risher ris, please help with that hotel manager contact, am heading to lugbe now. Thanks.
08064895005....sorry the network is Poor.guess u got description right?all the best! And don't forget that confidence is the KEY but PRAYER is the master KEY.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 5:32am On Aug 01, 2013
Hello house,

Please I was told my passport will be ready on thursday for pick up which is today. Do I have to wait to receive e-mail or sms before I'd go to the pick up address or I can just go there with the pick up slip given to me by the VO as I need to leave Abuja asap to return to work.

Pls advise.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 5:44am On Aug 01, 2013
foohard: Hello house,

Please I was told my passport will be ready on thursday for pick up which is today. Do I have to wait to receive e-mail or sms before I'd go to the pick up address or I can just go there with the pick up slip given to me by the VO as I need to leave Abuja asap to return to work.

Pls advise.
You can track the status of you passport by sending you passport book number to passportstatus@ustraveldocs.com, or send them an email on support-Nigeria@ustraveldocs.com. I think I heard it somewhere that you can arrange with DHL to deliver the passport to your location for a fee, I dunno how its done or how much you have to pay though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 6:07am On Aug 01, 2013
Ms Nas:
You can track the status of you passport by sending you passport book number to passportstatus@ustraveldocs.com, or send them an email on support-Nigeria@ustraveldocs.com. I think I heard it somewhere that you can arrange with DHL to deliver the passport to your location for a fee, I dunno how its done or how much you have to pay though

Thanks dear,

Read about the dhl arrangement too on the thread and would have helped me a lot with my tight schedule but I need the VISA page to do some payment processing with the sponsor agency before I leave Abuja. However, would send the e.mail as advised. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by seunolumonday(f): 6:29am On Aug 01, 2013
Please i need more advice and info about this Webster UNIVERSITY,missouri
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 6:30am On Aug 01, 2013
@MsNas..

Here is what I got: There is no status update available for the passport number submitted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:32am On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

If obtaining graduate assistantship plus full tuition waiver is your priority, then know that UT Austin, Texas Tech and all schools in Texas give only 50% tuition waiver if given scholarship or GA. They don't give 100% tuition waiver. Its a general state of texas law. Just be aware.

UT Austin is a terrific school. If I were you, I'd go for it.

Is this true for a MS or PhD in Geology at Rice, UofH, UT Austin and TAMU? Just curious.

I understand UT El Paso Geology dept. lets you pay in state + GA though. And this is because the department does not have a lot of funds.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 7:10am On Aug 01, 2013
foohard: @MsNas..

Here is what I got: There is no status update available for the passport number submitted.
That means its not ready. But you can still send the email to be double sure. When was your interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:23am On Aug 01, 2013
OjaP:

Is this true for a MS or PhD in Geology at Rice, UofH, UT Austin and TAMU? Just curious.

I understand UT El Paso Geology dept. lets you pay in state + GA though. And this is because the department does not have a lot of funds.

Yea. Its true. Applies to both MS and PhD. 50% tuition waiver is the same thing as waiving out-of-state tuition and paying in-state tuition which is usually half of out-of-state tuition.

I discovered the half tuition waiver thing during my intense search for schools last year when I was applying for masters. UT Austin and UT Dallas were both initially on my list of 4 schools and I was content with their 50% tuition waiver thing until I discovered other schools that give total tuition waivers with GA. I had to remove both Texas universities and filled my list with 4 schools that all give 100% tuition waiver to increase my chances. I checked other Texas schools (U Houston, TAMU) and it was the same thing and that's when I discovered that the 50% tuition waiver is a general state of Texas law.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:33am On Aug 01, 2013
OjaP:

It depends on the funding you get. I know most Texas schools only waive out of state tuition for you and in some cases you get your insurance covered as well, while some give 100% in tuition depending on the total package of your assistantship at Masters level.
At PhD level, most of them waive tuition depending on your research professor's decision.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Spanishmario(m): 9:59am On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21: . I had to remove both Texas universities and filled my list with 4 schools that all give 100% tuition waiver to increase my chances.
Need a list of such schools...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 10:12am On Aug 01, 2013
Ms Nas:
That means its not ready. But you can still send the email to be double sure. When was your interview?

The message was the outcome of the e-mail.. My interview was tuesday 10.30
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 10:33am On Aug 01, 2013
foohard: @MsNas..

Abuja people don't send u emails or text o...go at d end of two working days or on the morning of the third day ie end of today or early tmr morning...if u keep checking that status thing, I'll never go just like odowetalu who waited for ten days Before going .lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 10:35am On Aug 01, 2013
vivysparkles:

Abuja people don't send u emails or text o...go at d end of two working days or on the morning of the third day ie end of today or early tmr morning...if u keep checking that status thing, I'll never go just like odowetalu who waited for ten days Before going .lol

Oh... Ok!

I will go later in the day then. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bodeplot: 10:43am On Aug 01, 2013
It is official, my friend Goldfinger got his visa today at lagos embassy.. Thanks to God and to b Bigfrancis and all the NL members..God bless u all..i will tell him to give his transcript ere soon.HNM!!!!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:53am On Aug 01, 2013
bodeplot: It is official, my friend Goldfinger got his visa today at lagos embassy.. Thanks to God and to b Bigfrancis and all the NL members..God bless u all..i will tell him to give his transcript ere soon.HNM!!!!

Good news. Waiting to hear his transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Good news. Waiting to hear his transcript.

Yeah nobody heard those 3 that got last Monday.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by yomisley: 11:08am On Aug 01, 2013
is it a must that nigerian must do english test before someone can study abroad. i believe nigeria is an english speaking country . pls advice me nairalander
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 11:36am On Aug 01, 2013
bodeplot: It is official, my friend Goldfinger got his visa today at lagos embassy.. Thanks to God and to b Bigfrancis and all the NL members..God bless u all..i will tell him to give his transcript ere soon.HNM!!!!
Being awhile I came here...settling down has been tough...but by His grace we go survive.
Congrats to my boy...Bodeplot...how far you? FB message me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 01, 2013
Erm guys, what's up with this in-state tuition and out of state tuition thing. International students like Nigerians that apply to US schools, which one do they get to pay for? In state tuition or out of state tuition? Help guys please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bodeplot: 11:58am On Aug 01, 2013
ApachaiHopachai:
Being awhile I came here...settling down has been tough...but by His grace we go survive.
Congrats to my boy...Bodeplot...how far you? FB message me.

U got mail bro.....thank God u r doing good
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:05pm On Aug 01, 2013
maxwello.yg:
Erm guys, what's up with this in-state tuition and out of state tuition thing. International students like Nigerians that apply to US schools, which one do they get to pay for? In state tuition or out of state tuition? Help guys please?

You pay out-of-state tuition. In-state tuition is for residents of the state the university is located in. You must also show proof that you've been living(resident) in that state for a stipulated period of years. In-state tuition is usually lower and cheaper than out of state. Out of state tuition applies to residents of other states in the US who wish to study in that state the university is located in. Out-of-state tuition is generally twice in-state tuition. Out of state tuition applies also to international students, like you for example cheesy, who are not residents of the state.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You pay out-of-state tuition. In-state tuition is for residents of the state the university is located in. You must also show proof that you've been living(resident) in that state for a stipulated period of years. In-state tuition is usually lower and cheaper than out of state. Out of state tuition applies to residents of other states in the US who wish to study in that state the university is located in. Out-of-state tuition is generally twice in-state tuition. Out of state tuition applies also to international students, like you for example cheesy, who are not residents of the state.
Oh My Incredible God! *closes his mouth with both palms*, and the school I have in mind have low in-state tuition but expensive out-of-state.
Oh my crazy world..lool this is crazy cos most US schools have very high out-of-state tuition.
Well bro, thank you for the information, you always deliver. I appreciate!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 12:17pm On Aug 01, 2013
yomisley: is it a must that nigerian must do english test before someone can study abroad. i believe nigeria is an english speaking country . pls advice me nairalander

Apparently, YES!!!

I must let you know I envy some schools in USA that waive english test for Nigerians because even University of Ibadan conducts test of english for all post graduate admissions. So, how much more native speaking countries? They surely can't do otherwise...

UK that don't require the test of english from Nigerians now integrate it in the UK border agency rule. So, even if the school do not require english from Nigerians, you would be forced to write english test to satisfy embassy requirements.

It is a pity anyways.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by justwise(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard:

Apparently, YES!!!

I must let you know I envy some schools in USA that waive english test for Nigerians because even University of Ibadan conducts test of english for all post graduate admissions. So, how much more native speaking countries? They surely can't do otherwise...

UK that don't require the test of english from Nigerians now integrate it in the UK border agency rule. So, even if the school do not require english from Nigerians, you would be forced to write english test to satisfy embassy requirements.

It is a pity anyways.

That is not really the case, UK universities will assess your application to know whether you will need to write English language test or not, if its stated in your admission letter that you don't need to write one then the embassy will not demand for it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 12:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard:

Apparently, YES!!!

It is a pity anyways.

I dislike that UK with Passion now... I used to cherish them before, until I got to know that if you have goals in life and you are from a very poor background, your dreams will DIE if you apply to a UK University... Seriously speaking..

That country is too Money Concious.... They don't wanna know whether you are Talented or Brillant, na their money dem dey find..... No offense, that is why you see majority of students who are Not academically bright will run to UK to school there because the money is there, they know they can't cope with the US Education system.

No Realistic scholarship, they will be giving u crazy #100,000 to #500,000 scholarship out of a overall tuition of 3million and above...

That is why I love th US Education system, Talents and goals are all welcomed from all works of life, No matter ur background, the US don't want to know who or what position your Father holds, they are more interested in what you offer on the table..

You will be challenged to take challenging courses that will prepare you well for your profession..
When you study in US, you will be challenged, they welcome the brightest students around the globe...

And also you have opportunities to various Realistic scholarships, GAs, TAs, e.t.c... Even some undergraguate students get FULL scholarship when they meet certain GPA or SAT score...

The US education has opened doors to many bright students who are financially challenged and from poor homes, they now have hope of making their dream come true with the US Education System.

Students going for Masters studies are even the ones enjoying the Most than those going for Undergraduate studies, Most of them receive one form of assistanships, like the GAs, TAs, Fellowship..e.t.c.. Even some go to the extent of securing a FULL assisstanship from the school or their department...

Unlike UK, the Only better thing dem sabi do is to be introducing useless and crazy UKBA Rule, tightening their Border every minute as if say everybody wan go steal GOLD for there... SMH.....

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2013
ferdiii:

Yeah nobody heard those 3 that got last Monday.

That's true, I tot I missed it, we haven't heard from Midi20 n KingAnaconda n ........?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by TaylorGang: 1:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
Plss house am a stammer...I stammered at a point during my last interview....and I was denied,am looking forward to reapply soon...pls is it wise for me to tell d v.o that am a stammer and tell he/she that I will tak my words bit by bit...so I cn express myself.thanks guys

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.