Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,556 members, 7,926,632 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 06:44 PM

Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries (3167 Views)

Top 14 Yoruba Actors You Never Knew Are Not Yoruba / Stephanie Okereke Wins SUV At Amvca Awards / Fathia Balogun, Sanyeri,muyiwa Ademola And Other Yoruba Actors Rock Apc's Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Kaymisola(f): 11:41am On Mar 20, 2013
The much talked about Africa Magic Viewers choice awards has come and ended and yes it was a success. Days after the event went down, it was still one of the most talked about issues on the social media platforms, ranging from the celebrities flaws/fabulous outfits at the red carpets to the speeches and presentation of wards. Of course, the movie "Othelo Burning" carried the day while Mercy Johnson, OC Ukeje, Olu Jacobs, Tunde Kelani etc were amongst the awardees.
Anyways, Yoruba actress Mercy Aigbe has this to say about the AMVCA
"Nawa oh! African Viewer's choice award not even one Yoruba artist presented! Na so we worst ni? *crying* o ga oh!"
But mehn, it's true oh, no yoruba actor/actress presented any award plus the yoruba actors at the event were few....
http://www.kemifilani.com/2013/03/yoruba-actors-ignored-at-amvca-mercy.html

Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by sholay2011(m): 12:33pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincerely, I think she has a point. They should have been given the chance to present so to facilitate unity between igbo/englishwood and yoruwood.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by obalichi: 12:52pm On Mar 20, 2013
Tribalism is at the core of most problems we have in this country.
Of all the things that happened at the AMVCA, this lady chose to point out such fact as no Yoruba artiste presented. Am sure people were not chosen simply based on their tribes. And, for her information, the head of Africa Magic is a YORUBA woman. So, what's her point?
Please stop all these "We versus THEM".

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Scofieldella(f): 1:15pm On Mar 20, 2013
Is it tribalism or MOST of their movies are predictable and too dey carry last..
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 20, 2013
obalichi: Tribalism is at the core of most problems we have in this country.
Of all the things that happened at the AMVCA, this lady chose to point out such fact as no Yoruba artiste presented. Am sure people were not chosen simply based on their tribes. And, for her information, the head of Africa Magic is a YORUBA woman. So, what's her point?
Please stop all these "We versus THEM".
I think she meant to say no Yoruba movie was nominated (hence no Yoruba actor was nominated)...I don't think she meant to call out the tribe, an error on her part though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by ZACHIE: 4:38pm On Mar 20, 2013
Kaymisola:
"Nawa oh! African Viewer's choice award not even one Yoruba artist presented! Na so we worst ni? *crying* o ga oh!"
http://www.kemifilani.com/2013/03/yoruba-actors-ignored-at-amvca-mercy.html

So unfair, The organizers denied us the chance to be entertained. With grammar like this, we sure missed the opportunity to be thoroughly entertained,
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Mcfemad(m): 4:53pm On Mar 20, 2013
No Yoruba artist presented ke?

ItsModella:
I think she meant to say no Yoruba movie was nominated (hence no Yoruba actor was nominated)...I don't think she meant to call out the tribe, an error on her part though.

But I saw Tunde Kelani and Hafiz Oyetoro winning awards at the AMVCA. Their movies were nominated alongside other African Movies and they won. I remember Hafiz Oyetoro won the comedy part or something....can't remember what Tunde Kelani won.
Yoruba movies (Sure of Funke Akindele's Jenifa and Gbajumo Osere) were nominated though not sure of how many won apart from those mentioned above as I didn't get enough time to watch the show.

I also saw Antar Laniyan, Baba Wande and a few notable Yoruba actors (can't remember their names now) at the AMVCA

Prolly, Mercy Aigbe missed out or something...
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 20, 2013
Maybe, I don't know. I didn't watch the AMVCA.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by nikkyshyne(f): 5:24pm On Mar 20, 2013
@Mcfemad no yoruba artist 'presented'. Those you saw either got an award, were nominated or just passing. No yoruba artist came up to present an award to an awardee.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Mcfemad(m): 6:23pm On Mar 20, 2013
^^^Oh, I see !!
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Fussbot: 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
How can I even put itShe meant no PURE yoruba actor was given an award,afeez oyetoro,funke akindele,anta laniyan are like mixed actors..they act in both yoruwood and engliwood...naw,if u are conversant with yoruba movies,u wnt argue with me dat olaniyi afonja(sanyeri)is more funny than afeez oyetoro,and if odunlade adekola was an english actor he wld av won smtin..and u wnt want 2 argue with me dat toyin aimakhu can compete with ur so called A-CLASS actresses in terms of acting...femi adebayo,fathia balogun,yomi fash,yinka quadri all did great last year and they won nothing..her point gangan naw is that,the mindset of the organizers towards the yoruba movie industry still remains dat of ILLETERATES and UNPROFESSIONALS..if not,they wld av given 1 of dem a tangible award..

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 21, 2013
@Fussbot, I 've watched some Yoruba movies and all the actors act the same: always screaming and leaving their mouth open.

I haven't seen any of them that equals Joke sylva or Bimbo Akintola's talent.

Probably why they didn't get any award. FYI, most of the Nigerians that won the awards are yorubas. Besides I didn't see Hausa, Binis or Igbo speaking actors nominated like the Yorubas and they didn't make it an issue. Everything is not about tribe.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by sublimes: 11:25pm On Mar 21, 2013
ZACHIE:

So unfair, The organizers denied us the chance to be entertained. With grammar like this, we sure missed the opportunity to be thoroughly entertained,
Do you think she can't construct a good grammar? please keep your "I too know attitude " somewhere.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Fussbot: 11:37pm On Mar 21, 2013
gbaky_floor: @Fussbot, I 've watched some Yoruba movies and all the actors act the same: always screaming and leaving their mouth open.

I haven't seen any of them that equals Joke sylva or Bimbo Akintola's talent.

Probably why they didn't get any award. FYI, most of the Nigerians that won the awards are yorubas. Besides I didn't see Hausa, Binis or Igbo speaking actors nominated like the Yorubas and they didn't make it an issue. Everything is not about tribe.
and dia english colleagues does smtin different aside "romance" movies??and who are d yorubas dat won it??
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by willienaji: 5:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
mercy aigbe is not yoruba for starters, she is an edo girl. but its a shame she has joined in the gang of yoruba movie actors who are too tribalistic. they see everything in the entertainment industry from every tribalistic point of view. funke akindele, olu jacob, tunde kilani, etc are all yoruba's, i jus think mercy is jus seeking attention, what from her constant pasting of her funny pix on the net to raising an issue about AMVCA where there is non. mercy, shaaarraaap and vamouse okay? NO POINT MADE. shooom.
Re: Yoruba Actors Ignored At AMVCA: Mercy Aigbe Cries by Fussbot: 6:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
willienaji: mercy aigbe is not yoruba for starters, she is an edo girl. but its a shame she has joined in the gang of yoruba movie actors who are too tribalistic. they see everything in the entertainment industry from every tribalistic point of view. funke akindele, olu jacob, tunde kilani, etc are all yoruba's, i jus think mercy is jus seeking attention, what from her constant pasting of her funny pix on the net to raising an issue about AMVCA where there is non. mercy, shaaarraaap and vamouse okay? NO POINT MADE. shooom.
wat is dis??

(1) (Reply)

Kanye West Buys a car (Mini Lamborghini) For 6 Months Daughter (photo) / NIGERIANS Are Being Unfair To WIZKID. / OMG! Singer Mareez Shows Off Her Massive Boobs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.