Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,143 members, 7,970,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 10:52 AM

Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam (5369 Views)

Why Islam Doesn't Need Reformation Like Christianity / When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Mongue(m): 5:01pm On May 12, 2006
No chance I'm afraid, the IMPORTED religion from Britain is now far far more ingrained here than in England! It;s well and truly a NIgerian religion now,

If you don't go to church in Nigeria you're considered odd, If you do go to Church in England you're considered odd!?!

I told one of my colleagues today (after he invited me to Church) If he goes a year with no Church and no praying then I'll go to Church with him for the following year!!

When I tell them that I have started to worship Shango they don't quite understand.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 5:08pm On May 12, 2006
4 play, I know for a fact that some Yorubas trace their ancestry to the middle east, but oddly enough, they only started making up these lies after they lost to the Jihadist in present day Kwara and Oyo. These ancestry comming from the middle east is nothing more than a ploy to get the people to accept the gods of the Arabs. Anyone that knows anything about evolution would know that Africa was the first continent to have human inhabitants.

Nuru, you cannot compare radios and televisions to religion. However, if you are implying that Nigerians should learn how to make radios and televisions and then make it themselves instead of buying it from abroad, then I agree with you. As for no developed nation having it's own religion, most of the developed nations today came to existence as a result people migrating and taking their old religions with them.

However, the reason that Nigerians are Christian and Muslim is because they were forced to accept it. So when you pray to your newly beloved, keep in mind that thousands died to keep the madness from spreading. Its a shame that they had no idea that the generation to come would be filled with ungrateful degenerates.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by mamaput(f): 5:14pm On May 12, 2006
Afeni you know you have a point but lets talk about it without getting insolent.
Then every religion deserves respect.
Fact is we are what we are because our parents are what they are.
How many of us choose our religion by our self.?

IN Africa there was a religion be4 the white man came .
They believed also in a suprem God followed by the lesser gods that are under the almighty.
So what was wrong with that religion.
With out mixing it with Tradition .
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 5:34pm On May 12, 2006
Mamaput, nothing was wrong with that religion. cheesy

Thats exactly the point I am trying to make to these people. Our traditional religions were perfectly fine, and those that are looking for something to worship should follow them.

Personally, I am agnostic, but even if I knew for a fact that God existed, I still would not worship. I do not and I can not justify jumping through hoops, in regardless of how supreme this God or Gods is/are. I would rather suffer with honor, then live a live of shameless whoring in hopes of gaining eternal life/{insert some other reward}.

I just wish people would go back to the old religions. Why waste resources adapting to something new when there is no evidence to suggest that there is any tangible benefit?

The nations that were recently announced as being developed did not adopt Christianity. These religions are nothing more than a part of culture. What kind of message is sent when we wear the cultures of others on our collar?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by seeker(m): 6:11pm On May 12, 2006
It's accurate for you to note that religion is culture ( although, I'd say largely not merely ). Note also that culture is and has never been static. You seem to be able to write quite good English ( when you're not insulting people ). If you ask me English was forced on Africa as well. If we where to follow your argument to it's logical conclusion, you won't be speaking English, you probably won't be writing anything at all. You'd also not wear jeans, or t-shirts, you'd be studying Ifa as an apprentice of some high priest somewhere in Oshogb, etc. You can keep acting smug thinking you're wiser than everyone else, or you can realise that you've also been compromised my friend. You're not the top dog you think you are after all.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 6:20pm On May 12, 2006
Seeker, you are right. I am compromised. That is the reason why I will not have any children or get married. I would hate for the madness that lies within me to be spread.

As for the argument about English, that is very true as well. That is why I advocate breaking up Nigeria into 3 region so that the dominant language in each region can be thought to all those that live there. That way, while we lose a lot, all will not be lost.

Also, I believe I am wiser than everyone that practices some form of organized religion. I am wise, because I realize I know nothing in regards to religion. Hence, whenever I bring up the alternative of traditional religions, I never say that these religion are right. I merely comment on its cultural value to our society.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by gbadex1(m): 6:24pm On May 12, 2006
me thinks Afeni created this thread just to increase his post count. guy, look for something better doing.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by mamaput(f): 6:26pm On May 12, 2006
Its a Topic i think about a lot.
I think our grandfathers and some of our fathers have some stories to tell
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 6:38pm On May 12, 2006
Mamaput, I think that too. I have been thinking about going back to Nigeria for summer break and finding old people so that I can record their stories. Its a shame that the current generation would rather have nothing to do with their past,and are even ashamed of it. I would hate for those in the know (Old people) to carry the secrets of what it was like to be a part of world before Nigerian independence. What methods were used to get them to see the "love of Christ" e.t.c. I must find out!! cheesy
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by gbadex1(m): 6:43pm On May 12, 2006
hhmmmm. . . Afeni's post count 116? you can do it son, just keep typing. don't worry you're filling up the numbers with your irrationality.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 6:47pm On May 12, 2006
Gbade.x, whats the matter, did I offend your precious God? kiss
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by bolex(m): 6:49pm On May 12, 2006
Am warning all of you

Don't let God punish you

Just shush and don;t direspect Him

I pity you o
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 6:54pm On May 12, 2006
Bolex, please take your ignorant comments somewhere else. Look for children and the mentally retarded before you attempt to spread your "words of wisdom".
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by spikedcylinder: 7:30pm On May 12, 2006
Just a question for the religious people. . .
Do you really believe in God?I dont mean your belief based on the man made literature you read but do you FEEL God?When you close your eyes and want to communicate with him,do you hear his voice,heck,do you hear anything

It trips me when i hear preachers say "God told me this,God told me that"!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by mamaput(f): 7:36pm On May 12, 2006
Why should God punish anyone because they are talking about different religions
You tell me about yours i tell you about my .
We are not talking about convarting.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 7:36pm On May 12, 2006
I will like to know the answer to that too. grin
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by spikedcylinder: 7:40pm On May 12, 2006
I heard an islamic song today.The title of the song was, OLRUN MA PA IYA MI(GOD DONT KILL MY MOTHER).
I couldnt stop laughing it was so funny!I mean,since when did God start killing people's mothers?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 7:41pm On May 12, 2006
It's also funny when you consider the fact that Islam forbids singing.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by gidig(m): 8:57pm On May 12, 2006
Christianity- If we are to follow the pattern established by the Bible and in continuation of its origin as previously stated- in God calling Abraham is not even
Jewish or Hebrew. It is God calling man (Abraham) into a relationship with Him. It is God reconciling himself with man. It is always so interesting when people think the number one proof of their intellectualism is to stand up to Christianity or God or the very concept of God.

If you believe that a stone is your God, why trouble others? But if a man thinks somewhere within the recess of His soul that there is a God, he is in fear. Fear that his works might be judged someday. And in the days that I also pretended that I was an atheist, it was a thought that I battled with. What if truly there is God. I can’t be that Sure. Russell may just be wrong. I shouted and hoped that I was not the only one who believed that God is not who He is said to be; that there are other options and that the Christian God that I have seen changed lives is not as powerful as He is.

And so I immersed myself in these teachings that at best there are many routes to God even though we all came through the birth canal of a woman. Then he showed himself to me and gave me peace in my soul. If I were to sleep and die, I know where I am going. I have an assurance. I know where I am going to-not the many places I can go to. It is personal experience. The one I serve has conquered death that all mankind is subjected to.

And to Nwoke, what makes you -nay most atheists-think that believing in God means that one’s thinking has been taking away? Has there bee any proof Scientific that faith in God implies stupidity? Believers in the house, can you please give these gentle men a list of men alive and asleep who were Christians and men of unusual intelligence?

If I have digressed, remember what I said earlier; Abraham was called away from his background into an experience with his creator. He was not a Jew, Hebrew, British or Nigerians. All those came later.

Christianity is therefore not foreign. You can not be foreign to a God who knew you before you were made!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Ndipe(m): 9:12pm On May 12, 2006
Jesus Christ is Alive, that is why I choose to worship Him.

If any of you can prove to me that our ancestors are alive, please be aware of the fact that at least, some can happily accept the truth that they are dead!!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by Ajisafe: 9:15pm On May 12, 2006
Jesus Christ is Alive, that is why I choose to worship Him.

If any of you can prove to me that our ancestors are alive, please be aware of the fact that at least, some can happily accept the truth that they are dead!!

Can you prove to us, without getting into unnecessary biblical quotes, that your "Jesus" is alive?

Abraham was neither a Jew nor christian. He was a Yorubaman, and I can prove it to you.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 9:15pm On May 12, 2006
Ndipe, what you just said is the dumbest thing I have heard all day. What proof do you have that Jesus is alive?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by baby4u2(f): 10:39pm On May 12, 2006
i pray for you everyday afeni, i've never seen a positive trend in ur postings on this site. I REALLY PRAY FOR YOU, YOU HAVE BEEN BLINDED BY THE DEVIL GOD HELP YOU, MAY UR SOUL BE RESCUED BEFORE ITS TOO LATE. i can see u're in newyork maybe we need to talk/see, i think its very important for your life.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by nemesisrev: 11:32pm On May 12, 2006
One question pls afeni

Does or did these traditional religions you rave about, allow the followers to be free thinkers? As far as i know , alot of these traditional practices centred on alot of consultations and gobbly gook, some of the atrocious practices like some recorded human sacrifices, demonisation of twins, ostracizing people for supposed crimes against ancestors. Dependecy on dieties for every need from, poverty,rainfall,protection,choice of wife, names of children,, yeah free thinkers alright embarassed

Actually you want a rise from people and i don't think those of opposed minds to you should give your topic the time and day,one you are rude in stating whatever point,your blatant disrespect for all the other faiths says alot about you and quit frankly i pity you, not the followers or mugus as you say of christainity and Islam. At least they have a core belief in life and it shapes them and they live their lives as best as the can. I will say you are probably bitter about certain things, if i am wrong forgive me. You come across as such.

No doubt you will come back with a barrage of insults and abuse ,but hey surprise us. Or if you must be my guest hope it makes you feel better.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by princeonx: 11:35pm On May 12, 2006
Afeni I was expecting your post to be in your native language since you're preaching against imported religion which includes English abi English na your papa language?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by KAG: 11:45pm On May 12, 2006
Afeni:

It's also funny when you consider the fact that Islam forbids singing.

Reference? Preferably from the Koran.

Ajisafe:

[b]
Abraham was neither a Jew nor christian. He was a Yorubaman, and I can prove it to you.

I'd like to see this "proof" of yours, if you don't mind.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by nemesisrev: 12:10am On May 13, 2006
[/quote][quote author=prince_onx link=topic=12354.msg355301#msg355301 date=1147473319]
Afeni I was expecting your post to be in your native language since you're preaching against imported religion which includes English abi English na your papa language?

Ahhh smiley
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by GL(f): 4:28am On May 13, 2006
Jagunlabi, if u read that post again u would notice that i was talking about christianity all thru. that's the only way i know how to serve God.

Spikedcylinder, I believe in God and believe He speaks to me thru d bible. I've never heard Him speak directly to my ears, though i've heard ppl narrate such experiences. Do I feel His presence? Yes, I do. The truth is that you can never understand God from outside. If you want to know what this is all about, U have to experience it for urself.

That's just the truth. If all u want is to find an explanation for Him, u'll never see Him because God hides Himself from the "wise" ones. When ppl refuse to acknowledge God, He makes it very difficult for them to ever realize He is God. He lets them continue in their deception and they may go on like that till it's too late. See Romans 1, 1Cor 1:17-29.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 5:20am On May 13, 2006
Baby4u2, if you want to pray for me, knock yourselve out! grin

Nemesisrev, there are varing degrees of the traditional religions. Naturally, some religions would be more leniants than others. Also, it is not un-usual for extreme religions to take on a more progressive stance as their followers "wisen-up".

Prince_Native, Language is not a religion. And, how are you so sure that I can not speak my native language? However, if I was planning on sharing my ideas with all Nigerians, why would I resort to posting in Yoruba to get my point across?
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by gidig(m): 9:35am On May 13, 2006
exeunt!
Got better things to read!
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 10:22am On May 13, 2006
Gidig, I don't understand your point.
Re: Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam by jagunlabi(m): 11:47am On May 13, 2006
I have an idea.
Let the new generation of africans create their own "godmen", ala Jesus,the european godman.They can use the same archetype used by the europeans to deify their own godman,eg. dying and rising god;crucified for the sins of mankind;born of a virgin mother;son of Go;perform miracles;walk on water;have 12 disciples;raise the dead,etc,etc.
But unlike the european godman,the african version of godmen must have consorts.No celibate godman for us,please!
So,we our godmen and then we will be finally free from this spiritual shackles that we have been carrying since the days of colonization.
Oya,all ye new generation of africans!Go to work! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Grace Truly A Licence To Sin And Live Anyhow? / Is Juju Real? / Anita Declares That She Is No Longer Part Of Christ Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.