Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,753 members, 7,952,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:38 AM

Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday (24401 Views)

Pope Francis Kisses And Washes Feet Of Muslim, 4 Nigerian Catholics / PICS:Church Members Carry Their Pastor Because His Feet Must Not Touch The Floor / Maundy Thursday - The Beginning Of Easter Triduum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 29, 2013
frosbel: ^^^

and Pagans are what.

Is this what you should be proud of ?

wink wink

Yes at least we don't kill people over dead people and useless religion. We are Pacific..how many pagan are kamikaze?

The Catholic church is satanic and barbaric..christians are brainless cows Muslim are brainless terrorists.

Let's go back to our roots/traditions

Save Africa kick those foreign religions out of our continent.

Imagine there were no Islam and Christianity That means no bokoharam no Muslims killing Christians, no Africans killing their countrymen over useless religion.

Stop being brainwashed.

Proudly PAGAN
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2013
Positiveminds: .

Spiritual and physical death await you, unless you repent, oh man of blasphemy.

I no be afraid. At least I no worship oyibo and their religion, you brainwashed person!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2013
qhiwegh:

I no be afraid. At least I no worship oyibo and their religion, you brainwashed person!
thumbs up

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 12:01am On Mar 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Yes at least we don't kill people over dead people and useless religion. We are Pacific..how many pagan are kamikaze?

The Catholic church is satanic and barbaric..christians are brainless cows Muslim are brainless terrorists.

Imagine there were no Islam and Christianity That means no bokoharam no Muslims killing Christians, no Africans killing their countrymen over useless religion.

Stop being brainwashed.

Proudly PAGAN

i am praying for u to know Jesus and accept Him. it baffles me to see an African claiming pagan...am very sorrowful tonight.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 30, 2013
peteregwu:

i am praying for u to know Jesus and accept Him. it baffles me to see an African claiming pagan...am very sorrowful tonight.
. The Catholic church is satanic and barbaric..christians are brainless cows Muslim are brainless terrorists.

Stop being brainwashed.

Proudly PAGAN

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 3:54am On Mar 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

you mean pacifists? grin
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:07am On Mar 30, 2013
oyibomoses: i no see black man for there, i dont like this
i b read 4 news say na from many nationality and race, i no know why camera no show any black person
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:17am On Mar 30, 2013
frosbel:

So the Pope is now Christ ? SMH.

Besides Jesus did it in a small room with only his disciples present , and to show them that if he their master could do it , they should do it to each other.

False religion always does things for show , while true religion does things in secret and out of true humility.
i just remembered the early xtians called themselves alter christus, another christ. Anti christ means contrary to christ. Washing feet isn't contrary to christ, and secondly d pope didnt do the above in a basilica he did it in a prison with very limited press presence.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:22am On Mar 30, 2013
frosbel:

Jesus Christ did not kiss the feet of his disciples , he washed their feet.

Jesus Christ washed the feet of repentant believers , he did not wash the feet of unrepentant criminals

Jesus Christ washed the feet in a room with his disciples, not out in the open

Jesus Christ had a real humility that flowed from him, he did not need to do anything for show , especially for applause from the authorities or media.

who made you judge? Jesus washed the feet pope kissed d feet he washed and so? How does that become bad?
And are you God to know that d deliquents whose feet were washed were unrepentant?
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:26am On Mar 30, 2013
Biggyd2: What is the problem here? Is this not supposed to be symbolic? I think it means that those in authority should actually be servants to those who put them there. But what do we see in the world today?undecided Our dear country is a very good example. lipsrsealed undecided
this was exactly the homily that d pope preached, service!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:34am On Mar 30, 2013
Ammyng: Sorry but thats gross and I think he is just trying to hard. I guess to make up from whats been going on in Catholic community
i doubt he is even trying, it naturally flows for him, he did it while he was arch bishop of buenos aires, it isn't new for him.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Ubenedictus(m): 8:39am On Mar 30, 2013
frosbel:

I fellowship , the people are the church , we do not go to the church , we are the church.

There is one church or body of believers not more than 1.

"There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;" - Ephesians 4:4
you fellowship in what congregation?
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Anyigala(m): 9:40am On Mar 30, 2013
[quote author=frosbel]^^

Your mother church , not mine - thanks
Your HATRED for Catholic Church and anything associated with Catholic is sickening and quite frankly pathetic, and you do it out of love right!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by deviduff(m): 12:29pm On Mar 30, 2013
Delafruita: see massive folly.were those prisoners released from prison or granted state pardon
Please don't mind that lunat1c. Marijuana has made him deluded.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by jidewin(m): 12:56pm On Mar 30, 2013
I was even more touched and soothed when i also read this people..I am not a catholic nor from the catholic background,but this "act of fruit" displayed by the pope is worth commending.

"Traditionalists in the Roman Catholic church have expressed concern after Pope Francis became the first pontiff to wash the feet of two women during a Maundy Thursday mass, a move liberals welcomed but some conservatives feared set a worrying precedent.

At the Casal del Marmo youth detention centre on the outskirts of Rome, the Argentinian pope washed and dried the feet of 12 inmates as part of the traditional rite representing Jesus's final act of humility towards his disciples.

He had surprised the Vatican with his decision to wash the prisoners' feet – a move that echoed the early years of John Paul II, who once performed the rite in the St John Lateran basilica with a dozen homeless men.

But it was his inclusion of two young women, as well as Muslims, in the ceremony that was the most dramatic break with tradition. It even caused some traditionalists to wonder openly whether Francis, who is doctrinally a theological conservative who has explicitly stated he is against female ordination, might one day be willing to open the priesthood to women.

The Vatican's spokesman Federico Lombardi insisted the rite took place in "a specific situation in which excluding the girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of communicating a message of love to all".

Chris Gillibrand, a British commentator, wrote on his blog, CathCon: "We will see whether it is a particular case, as Lombardi suggests, or the beginning of a journey. Given his active support for the charismatic movement in his diocese, one can only be concerned that he could be prepared to ordain women … How can the pope maintain discipline in the church if he himself does not conform himself to prevailing ecclesiastical legislation?"

This was not the first time Francis had washed female feet. As Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio and archbishop of Buenos Aires, he often included women in the gesture. However as pope, his move was quietly groundbreaking. In their later years John Paul II and Benedict XVI had restricted the rite to 12 Catholic priests.

I respect this POPE.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by jidewin(m): 1:03pm On Mar 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: . The Catholic church is satanic and barbaric..christians are brainless cows Muslim are brainless terrorists.

Stop being brainwashed.

Proudly PAGAN

And also imagine no traditionalist that uses HUMAN Sacrifice in BLACK MAGIC practices, or better still lets give it more "modernized terms" "Sorcery and School of Witchcraft", "Necromancers", "new Age movement", "ROF" list goes on?. Many missing people situation would not occur nor initiation into occultism. See who's making a fool of himself now by calling some religion practices,hijacked by desperate political strongholds as "brainless".
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by chuqudy(m): 5:25pm On Mar 30, 2013
peteregwu: i don come again o. i just they pass, i come say make i stop greet u na. now pope dey wash, people leg, some catholic people dey cry...am very sorry for you people. i hope chukwudi is here? is he also crying? the day i will start appreciating God over catholic is the time they will start preahing like Jesus, by saying, "repent for the kingdom is at hand. for the bible says, except a mn be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God." but now, what they do is deception.

Silence is golden.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2013
peteregwu:

You are mad. Please get help.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by chuqudy(m): 5:27pm On Mar 30, 2013
monex:

I agree with you and this is one of my problems with homosexuality: it will redefine human relations.

before we (Nigerians) understood what homosexuality was about, this action would not have been mis-connoted. I tell U, a time will come when U might be thot to be gay because u hug a fellow guy.

i hear some countries have already defined marriage as a union between two people in love.

Time would also come in Nigeria when a leader and his deputy would be called gay because they are both men.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by chuqudy(m): 5:37pm On Mar 30, 2013

These guys look like Charles Taze Russell and Nelson H. Barbour. The guys who said that Christ had returned as an invisible spirit being in 1874 inaugurating the "harvest of the Gospel age", and that 1914 would mark the end of a 2520-year period called "the Gentile Times", at which time world society would be replaced by the full establishment of God's kingdom on earth.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 9:16pm On Mar 30, 2013
qhiwegh:

You are mad. Please get help.

God bless u. i know how it is for u. it is always like dat. God by His mercies wil draw u to Jesus. it is so sweet to have Jesus. life is awesome with Jesus
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2013
peteregwu:

God bless u. i know how it is for u. it is always like dat. God by His mercies wil draw u to Jesus. it is so sweet to have Jesus. life is awesome with Jesus

Yes, I'm sure it is. Ignorance is bliss, no?
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 11:00pm On Mar 30, 2013
qhiwegh:

Yes, I'm sure it is. Ignorance is bliss, no?

i disagree, it is deadly. pls dont say dat. many hav died rejecting Jesus. their destination is terrible.their is somebody responsible for your existence. look at d sky, moon at night, stars, and all around u. their is a hand behind all of them.

Isaiah 45:22 KJV
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 11:12pm On Mar 30, 2013
peteregwu:

i disagree, it is deadly. pls dont say dat. many hav died rejecting Jesus. their destination is terrible.their is somebody responsible for your existence. look at d sky, moon at night, stars, and all around u. their is a hand behind all of them.

Isaiah 45:22 KJV
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

I was saying your ignorance of common knowledge facts and subsequently your belief in this iron age Middle Eastern religion was giving you bliss.

I can't attain the bliss that you have because I know the history of Christianity and thus I can't believe in this man-made myth. Can't be helped since I can't undo knowing what I know.

No, I look at the stars and don't automatically assume that the mythical deity of the Judaeans created them. I marvel at nature, yes, but that doesn't lead me to believe in an easily-disproven myth.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 11:56pm On Mar 30, 2013
qhiwegh:

I was saying your ignorance of common knowledge facts and subsequently your belief in this iron age Middle Eastern religion was giving you bliss.

I can't attain the bliss that you have because I know the history of Christianity and thus I can't believe in this man-made myth. Can't be helped since I can't undo knowing what I know.

No, I look at the stars and don't automatically assume that the mythical deity of the Judaeans created them. I marvel at nature, yes, but that doesn't lead me to believe in an easily-disproven myth.

u dont believe because u have not experience d power of Jesus; in healing, miracles, deliverance and salvation. to u everything sounds like a fairy tale to you, or some kind of man made deception, right? go here then. i dont believe in a dead God, i believe in God that ir alive. not only alive but alive to heal, deliver, save and gives peace and Joy, and at d end eternal life. www.thelordschosenworld.org

www.nairaland.com/1237692/lords-chosen-charismatic-revival-movement/2
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 12:14am On Mar 31, 2013
peteregwu:

u dont believe because u have not experience d power of Jesus; in healing, miracles, deliverance and salvation. to u everything sounds like a fairy tale to you, or some kind of man made deception, right? go here then. i dont believe in a dead God, i believe in God that ir alive. not only alive but alive to heal, deliver, save and gives peace and Joy, and at d end eternal life. www.thelordschosenworld.org

I can't experience something I know to be fake. Anyway, you shouldn't believe in someone just because you witnessed miracles. The old testament specifically warned against how false prophets could still perform miracles (Deut. 13:1-5). Your point is moot.

Deuteronomy 13: 1-5

Deu 13:1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder,
Deu 13:2 and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them,"
Deu 13:3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deu 13:4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.
Deu 13:5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

Maybe that's why Jesus the Nazarene was executed in the first place. Because it was commanded in the Old Testament.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 12:14am On Mar 31, 2013
peteregwu:

Brother , I agree with your beautiful post , except :

Point people to JESUS not to MEN smiley

Blessings !
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 31, 2013
frosbel:

Blessings !
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 1:32am On Mar 31, 2013
frosbel:

Blessings !
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 2:01am On Mar 31, 2013
[quote author=frosbel][/quote]

what is mens blessings...what do u mean by mens blessing? i was just trying to arrive at something. u always like to jump into conclusion. pls am not serving a dead Jesus, am serving the Jesus that is alive forever in glory and power. pls let me! do your own and stop being jealous. then why do u agree then? i thought u said is mens. pls if you are preaching in the bus, on the street tell them what Jesus did, and what He can as well do. dont just give them boring sermon, thats why satanic men and prophets are deceiving many.

i was just trying to know if the brothe believes in the bible. he does actually, with the quote of deutronomy he posted. so, thats exactly whay i wanted before i started saying wht i want say. pls if God is not doing anything in your church, dont pour the anger on me. i believe so much in God, and that He can do all things. my fathers leg was about to be cut off by a doctor who claimed their is nothing they can do about it. this happened in luth, then he was on wheel chair. my fathef happens to be a pastor then. i was not even born again then. my father disagreed, he told the dr that thd God hebis serving will heal him. then my father resulted to prayer. this goes on for about 5-6months. he was still in the hospital. then one day in the night aroud 2am, a light shone on him from above, an he heard a voice that declared to him , you are healed three times. after a while, he gave it a test. he layed his leg on the floor and he started on his own. later in thw morning, the dr came by an my dad told him, "God has healed me" and my dad walked in the presence of the dr...everyone started jubilating. that day is a day i can neve forget in my life till i die. d dr was amazed. he tot he was dreaming. so, dont attributes miracles satan or false prophet(although we have them). tell people what Jesus can do. be bold and be confident about it in righteousness, that is faith. thats is why faithless christians are losing hope on God and joining occult and aquiring power from them. every miracle they see they say it is devil. then which is Gods then? if u are going to a dead church pls leave. i believe with all my heart that a place of righteousness and holiness, is a place of power, except their is compromise.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by peteregwu(m): 2:16am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

I can't experience something I know to be fake. Anyway, you shouldn't believe in someone just because you witnessed miracles. The old testament specifically warned against how false prophets could still perform miracles (Deut. 13:1-5). Your point is moot.

Deuteronomy 13: 1-5

Deu 13:1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder,
Deu 13:2 and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them,"
Deu 13:3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deu 13:4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.
Deu 13:5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

Maybe that's why Jesus the Nazarene was executed in the first place. Because it was commanded in the Old Testament.

thats not d reason Jesus was crucified. they never believed Him, because their deeds were evil and He stood against their evil deeds. it was prophecied in d book of isaiah that He was going to be killed, so that is why the succeeded. it was the will of God, and d will of God must be done. and pls know it that the death of Jesus was to wash away sins that we may have forgiveness of our sin by God through Hos precious and holy(sinless)blood. pls read,
Isaiah 53:1-12 KJV. "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? [2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. [3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. [4] Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. [5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. [6] All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. [7] He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. [8] He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. [9] And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. [10] Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. [11] He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. [12] Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by qhiwegh(m): 2:37am On Mar 31, 2013
peteregwu:

thats not d reason Jesus was crucified. they never believed Him, because their deeds were evil and He stood against their evil deeds. it was prophecied in d book of isaiah that He was going to be killed, so that is why the succeeded. it was the will of God, and d will of God must be done. and pls know it that the death of Jesus was to wash away sins that we may have forgiveness of our sin by God through Hos precious and holy(sinless)blood. pls read,
Isaiah 53:1-12 KJV. "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? [2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. [3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. [4] Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. [5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. [6] All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. [7] He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. [8] He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. [9] And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. [10] Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. [11] He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. [12] Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

I appreciate that your discourse has been civil. I don't believe that the Bible is the word of God or the inspired word of God. As to your father's healing, that doesn't prove that God exists. Surely, people of every faith has been healed from spiritual experiences, some of which could be explained by the fact that humans are very suggestive people who can easily believe what they want to believe. And they have attributed their healing to all sorts of religions and deities.

I have no problem with you having such strong faith. If you believe so strongly, and you're a person of good character who's doing good in society, more power to you!

Christianity, in the context of both my life, and in the context of world history, has never made sense to me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Watch T.B. Joshua Dancing In The Streets Of Mexico City! / Bishop Oyedepo To Establish 5,000 Churches Across The World In 2019 / List Of The Sins Listed In The Bible That Can Lead To Hell Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.