Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,631 members, 7,951,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:32 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1532317 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 28, 2015
Are there really imported frozen catfish? Or should I say do consumers welcome frozen catfish? I need answers please as am about to start freezing my stock.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bishop4life(m): 1:25am On Jul 28, 2015
cintia:
Good, do you have a functioning pond, give me your contacts I will like to see things and borrow ideas. Do you know big time fish farmers in the state, don't relent to link me up. U can give me your whats app number

At last I found people so close.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afrika011: 7:45am On Jul 28, 2015
Please don't mind me if I sound so inexperienced, I'm actually not, when it comes to catfish.

Recently I started raising catfish. I have 2 earthen ponds of a relatively big size where I stocked 5000 juveniles each about 6 weeks ago. But my candid observation is :

A pond tends to appear like it has more fishes than the other when feeding them .
In Pond A, u will see the fishes there running towards feed almost twice faster than the pond B.

Both ponds are subjected to the conditions. Water flows in and out at the same rate.

Can the other pond where the fishes shows less sapped and number when feeding be having issues I don't know of Or is it a common a trend in the business ?

Please help me out
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 9:43am On Jul 28, 2015
Afrika011:
Please don't mind me if I sound so inexperienced, I'm actually not, when it comes to catfish.

Recently I started raising catfish. I have 2 earthen ponds of a relatively big size where I stocked 5000 juveniles each about 6 weeks ago. But my candid observation is :

A pond tends to appear like it has more fishes than the other when feeding them .
In Pond A, u will see the fishes there running towards feed almost twice faster than the pond B.

Both ponds are subjected to the conditions. Water flows in and out at the same rate.

Can the other pond where the fishes shows less sapped and number when feeding be having issues I don't know of Or is it a common a trend in the business ?

Please help me out
Sir... That's just one of the disadvantages of using an earthen pond. You can not know what is happening or have a firm grip of the whole action inside the pond. But what you can do is to continue feeding them till they are satisfied every time you feed, also let the water inflow and outflow continue. And keep you finger crossed for the best possible outcome. At least if there is no outbreak of diseases and you are sure that the fish is really the actual number you mentioned tgat is in the ponds (cos some farmers do short count) then you are fine. Of cos with Prayers

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lorjes: 1:08pm On Jul 28, 2015
Teepompey:

Its very different. The fish meal in the 2nd is local while that of the 1st is danish 72%. The 2nd contains broilers starter while the 1st does not.
My brother thank you and remain blessed. It was an oversight.
Regards.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hazyfm: 2:28pm On Jul 28, 2015
robonski15:

That's a good move, it pays to be self employed.. Our youth are looking for white collar job and thereby roaming the streets.. Once u are through just let me know .. Thanks

Please I would love to learn fish farming, I mean pratical and not just theory. my email is hazyfm@yahoo.com
Thank u
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by obstead200(m): 3:37pm On Jul 28, 2015
blueseacats:
Are there really imported frozen catfish? Or should I say do consumers welcome frozen catfish? I need answers please as am about to start freezing my stock.
yes there is.

go to large cold rooms and ask them. they might not admit it openly cos it is contraband. but if u ask, they will sell it to u. i have personally bought it before. fast foods and big restaurants actually prefer it because they are sure of steady supply.

but unless u live in shell or chevron estate where u are guaranteed power supply 24/7, do not attempt to go into freezing. freezing is actually the best way to go but naija economic environment is not encouraging. I wud have loved to do broilers with processing and freezing after every 8 weeks growth or attaining 2kg weight. But the power supply is scaring the sh.it outta me.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2015
obstead200:

yes there is.

go to large cold rooms and ask them. they might not admit it openly cos it is contraband. but if u ask, they will sell it to u. i have personally bought it before. fast foods and big restaurants actually prefer it because they are sure of steady supply.

but unless u live in shell or chevron estate where u are guaranteed power supply 24/7, do not attempt to go into freezing. freezing is actually the best way to go but naija economic environment is not encouraging. I wud have loved to do broilers with processing and freezing after every 8 weeks growth or attaining 2kg weight. But the power supply is scaring the sh.it outta me.
Thanks for this info bro, which country are they mostly imported from?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afrika011: 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2015
ayosat:

Sir... That's just one of the disadvantages of using an earthen pond. You can not know what is happening or have a firm grip of the whole action inside the pond. But what you can do is to continue feeding them till they are satisfied every time you feed, also let the water inflow and outflow continue. And keep you finger crossed for the best possible outcome. At least if there is no outbreak of diseases and you are sure that the fish is really the actual number you mentioned tgat is in the ponds (cos some farmers do short count) then you are fine. Of cos with Prayers

Thanks so much for the information . I really appreciate . At times,my inexperience makes me feel like: do I still have my 5000 fishes complete in the pond? .cos I was there when we counted. Cos I observed that the second pond doesnt consume feed as much as the first of the same age , size and number will do.

My question goes thus. ;
Is there a possibility of haviing massive mortality in a pond without seeing the dead fishes floating on the water surface . ?

Secondly , if I feel the fishes are not eating as much as I want , is there any thing that I can add to the pond that can make them eat more.

Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2015
Afrika011:

Thanks so much for the information . I really appreciate . At times,my inexperience makes me feel like: do I still have my 5000 fishes complete in the pond? .cos I was there when we counted. Cos I observed that the second pond doesnt consume feed as much as the first of the same age , size and number will do.

My question goes thus. ;
Is there a possibility of haviing massive mortality in a pond without seeing the dead fishes floating on the water surface . ?

Secondly , if I feel the fishes are not eating as much as I want , is there any thing that I can add to the pond that can make them eat more.

Thanks
@ Afrika011. We don't pray for any massive morality. Any major morality will clearly be noticed on the surface of the pond. The only thing that won't be visible is the cannibalistic nature of the fish, which will tend to reduce the number of your fish. This tend to be more noticee when you introduce the fish too early into the earthen pond i.e fingerlings. But at juvenile stage it is reduced.
For you to improve on their feeding appetite you can add some quantity of multivitamin to their feed. Pls don't add to their water cos it can alter the quality of your water thereby increasing the tendency rate of ineffection in the pond. Livestovit is good, also some fish booster is also good for this purpose..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by korel9: 3:55am On Jul 29, 2015
Good day house. My stock is 4 months plus (wld be 5 months by 11th August) but still haven't attained 1kg in weight, what do I do to boost their size?

I feed them with vital feeds 4mm.

Thanks in anticipation of ur prompt response.

Cc robonski15 Ayosat and all d ogas
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afrika011: 7:11am On Jul 29, 2015
ayosat:

@ Afrika011. We don't pray for any massive morality. Any major morality will clearly be noticed on the surface of the pond. The only thing that won't be visible is the cannibalistic nature of the fish, which will tend to reduce the number of your fish. This tend to be more noticee when you introduce the fish too early into the earthen pond i.e fingerlings. But at juvenile stage it is reduced.
For you to improve on their feeding appetite you can add some quantity of multivitamin to their feed. Pls don't add to their water cos it can alter the quality of your water thereby increasing the tendency rate of ineffection in the pond. Livestovit is good, also some fish booster is also good for this purpose..

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your response. Please enlighten me more on fish boosters. I won't mind exploring that.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 7:11am On Jul 29, 2015
korel9:
Good day house. My stock is 4 months plus (wld be 5 months by 11th August) but still haven't attained 1kg in weight, what do I do to boost their size?

I feed them with vital feeds 4mm.

Thanks in anticipation of ur prompt response.

Cc robonski15 Ayosat and all d ogas

What is their average weight now?

Fishes are not machines that you can just boost and expect magical results. They are living things that need to grow and an important factor in the life of a fish is 'time'. They need time to grow and gain weight.
If your fishes are not doing too well, alot of things could have gone wrong along the line; starting from the type of fingerlings you bought to your farm practices/management. The 'type' of fingerlings/juveniles will ultimately determine the outcome of ur fishes if all other things are done well. You need to try and find out what the problem is because if you dont correct it, you will continue having the same results and no matter the 'booster' you use, the fishes will still not grow.

4mm feed is a bit small for them and by now they should be able to pick up 6mm feed (depending on the size of ur fish though). If they cant pick it, stick with the 4mm u are using.

N. B. Not all fishes get to 1kg in 4months.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by korel9: 7:58am On Jul 29, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

What is their average weight now?

Fishes are not machines that you can just boost and expect magical results. They are living things that need to grow and an important factor in the life of a fish is 'time'. They need time to grow and gain weight.
If your fishes are not doing too well, alot of things could have gone wrong along the line;

4mm feed is a bit small for them and by now they should be able to pick up 6mm feed (depending on the size of ur fish though). If they cant pick it, stick with the 4mm u are using.

N. B. Not all fishes get to 1kg in 4months.

Tank u sah for ur quick response. I've not taken time to measure their exact weight though I'll do dat soon. I can bet u d seeds are good ones except for how minimal their water had been from the start.
Does the quantity of dia water affect their growth cos the cost of buying water is very high.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 9:59am On Jul 29, 2015
Hello ogas in the house, robonski15 I greet you.
I have an idea, in order to have constant suppy of fishes every month, what if I build 6 pairs of ponds, stock them up one month apart so that they reach market size one pond per month. do you think this would work?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Lorjes: 10:18am On Jul 29, 2015
Afrika011

Chairman please sir,
Give me some name for the fish boosters
Kind regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 11:28am On Jul 29, 2015
I dey hail oooooo. 10Q 4 keeping d flag flying
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2015
Good afternoon great minds, I just noticed sir Robonski have been missing on the thread lately, anyone with details?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omo1201: 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2015
blueseacats:

I think that is the best way to go , start small
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omo1201: 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
I will like to joint whatsapp catfish business
Group , can anyone help or start one
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 3:28pm On Jul 29, 2015
Pls, is there anyone in the house that has PURE HETERO BROODSTOCK and (or) fingerlings for sales? Or does anyone knows where I can get it?
10Q.

Wishing everyone all the very best!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
excess4luv:
Good afternoon great minds, I just noticed sir Robonski have been missing on the thread lately, anyone with details?
I am here sir smiley thanks for checking up..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hazyfm: 4:14pm On Jul 29, 2015
robonski15:

sent you a mail since monday, kindly respond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
hazyfm:

sent you a mail since monday, kindly respond.
Can you kindly resend the mail. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
Hello ogas in the house, robonski15 I greet you.
I have an idea, in order to have constant suppy of fishes every month, what if I build 6 pairs of ponds, stock them up one month apart so that they reach market size one pond per month. do you think this would work?

i feel u should consider sorting also, it should be 2 ponds to one harvest every month.making it 8 pods all together
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 7:34pm On Jul 29, 2015
fzero:

i feel u should consider sorting also, it should be 2 ponds to one harvest every month.making it 8 pods all together
Ok thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hazyfm: 7:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
robonski15:

Can you kindly resend the mail. thanks

I just did. Many thanks prof
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
hazyfm:

I just did. Many thanks prof
Boss i can seem to see the mail. Please send it to robonski15@gmail.com

Thank you sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:46pm On Jul 29, 2015
where is retin01
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 10:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
Afrika011:

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your response. Please enlighten me more on fish boosters. I won't mind exploring that.
fish booster are just multivitamin drugs for the fish. it boost their appetite, thereby making them to grow better. but all other conditions must be met. I.e water must always be clean, your fish must also be of high standard, not overcrowded among others. Livestovit is an example of such.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 5:30am On Jul 30, 2015
robonski15:

Nice to see you sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.