Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,458 members, 7,881,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 03:27 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (319) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1513014 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ohuegbeair(m): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2016
Thanks a lot sir. wud try that. hope salt water wudnt be harsh on them ? Na novice I be...no too vex
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2016
KCoker:
Hello Everyone,
As a benefactor of diverse info from this thread. I would like to make my little contribution to everyone.

I am privileged to know that the Dollar price is going higher, and CBN has withdrawn their set Exchange limit. The implication is that the Dollar has been deregulated - even though the word is highly placed at the back seat due to the sentiments attached to the word deregulation. News has also been going round regarding the challenge of oil marketers is purchasing refined oil due to the high exchange rate. Black market rate has soared from N340(about a month ago) to N374 (today).

The "likely" outcome of a floating Dollar to farmer is that the prices of imported feeds are going to rise, petrol is also likely to be affected. Much more is that cash in the bank is gradually devaluing, as N50,000 for 10bags after another price hike will not be able to purchase d same qty of feed. Rather than buy feeds in bits, i advice to purchase more into storage. While am not sure how this gradual Dollar price increase will take its toll as it head to N300/Usd frm N283/Usd btw banks, we can take positions now to convert our cash to needed commodities b4 it hits our needed commodities.

Sir you are on point and that is why there is a need to rather be a BUSINESS FISH FARMER rather than be an EXPERT IN FISH FARMER.

A business fishfarmer knows in and out of his farm operations as well as micro and macro economics indices that affect his occupation while an expert fishfarmer only rely on his expertise and experience in the business to succeed.

Many Nigerians most especially fish farmers do not expect what is hitting us. Presently as i speak to you there are no 0.2mm, 0.5mm and 0.8mm coppens and other popular foreign feed in Abuja and it has been like that for the past one month.

You said there is need to store up feed and you think that is the solution? No! That will only lead to artifical increament in the price of ingredients. And dont forget that the quality of the ingredients will reduce after a long time. I think the only way out is for individual farmer to start producting his/her feed at least from 0.8mm and above. I have started my experiment already on 0.8mm, 1-2mm and will unveil after the completion of the process.

We have come to a time in national live when things are no longer going to be the same again. Dear fishfarmer we all have to rise to the occasion in order to salvage our investment. I was lucky enough to discover on time that we can no longer depend on gasoline/petrol generator for our business because of its price volatility and scarcity of the product. We can no longer depend on imported feed to make meaningful success in fishfarm. This is because fish business is fragile and require a running system that must not collapse and i have found my solution in 3-in-1 GPP Diesel Engine. Today, i mill my feed anytime i like and pump water using 3 in 1 GPP that uses Diesel.

I urge eminent farmers on this forum to rise to this challenges. We have to call the bluff yeye imported feed that are increasing their product on daily basis.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 6:13pm On Jul 20, 2016
ohuegbeair:
Thanks a lot sir. wud try that. hope salt water wudnt be harsh on them ?
Na novice I be...no too vex

Too much of everything isn't good. Moderate salt won't kill them as the quantity of the water will override the killing effect of the salt
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:43pm On Jul 20, 2016
partytime16:
Please what's the level of stress catfish business incurs compared to poultry farming. and also how lucrative is it compared to poultry farming?
both lucrative,higher risk in poultry,but not always the case. Catfish farming doesn't need attention as poultry,but they both need good observation. Revenue from catfish is periodical whereas if layers daily. Broilers & cockerel is also periodical

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:49pm On Jul 20, 2016
i dont know the weather condition of your location,my location is very cool for a few days now. If you are having such experiences, dont overfeed your stock,it could create a challenge & also watch your feeding regime & feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:47pm On Jul 20, 2016
these scammers 09034083005 sent me a text to call 08142101757 or my Atm will be deactivated due to bvn. Smscaster.com their so called website.

That we assist & support people & their dreams & visions should be enough reason to spear us of greed & soiling of the nation's name & integrity. Repent
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:49pm On Jul 20, 2016
these scammers 09034083005 sent me a text to call 08142101757 or my Atm will be deactivated due to bvn. Smscaster.com their so called website.

That we assist & support people & their dreams & visions should be enough reason to spear us of your greed & soiling of the nation's name & integrity. Repent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ijababa: 10:00pm On Jul 20, 2016
Hello Ttalk, Kindly send me your email or phone number. I need your support on feed formulation
Ttalk:
It seems forum attention has now shifted to local feed production and fake feed that is now in circulation and has caused some businesses to experience loss, i want to advice those that have been victim never to allow such stepback deter them from succeeding, rather they should see it as a good challenge to prove their worth and become expert in feed composition.

As we all know, one of the major running cost in fish farming is the cost of feed, thereby your success in fish farming largely depend on feed quality and feed cost, and the only way we can be in charge of quality and cost of our feed is when we take CONTROL of our feed production.

A lot of research work are on internet on component of a quality feed for catfish that are beneficial to our production if put into use. I took the decision of producing my feed after i observed a sharp practice where i do pelletise my feed and discovered that my major component fishmeal was reduced and replaced with other junks.

Mr Ab1x formula is readily available on this thread and individual can make little adjustment to suite your environment. It hurt my heart to see people got burnt as a result of avoidable decision. Make the right decision by contacting people around you who can fabricate pelletising machine. Dedicate one staff to it if you cant go through the stress of doing it yourself. I would be ready to offer assistance if called upon. People have been of tremendous help to me most especially from this platform and i will want to reciprocate as a way of saying thank you. We should all begin to assist ourselves rather than make it difficult for starters and novice.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 2:48am On Jul 21, 2016
donclassfarm:
Kudos to you my boss
But I expected to see those item 7 pics......
If a Man is diligent in duty he will dine with KINGS and not..............
#DonClassic u miss men grin the item 7 was longifilis pepper soup[quote][/quote][code][/code] smiley

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 2:55am On Jul 21, 2016
robonski15:
AQUABREN FIRST MEETING

Aquaculture Breeders of Nigeria (AQUABREN) held its first General meeting on the 9th of July 2016, Hosted by Mr Robonski. Members from different parts of the country were present and also we had two guest speakers, DR OKI a Practicing vet doctor and Mr Alex the president of divine cooperative. Some of their advise was for fish farmers to venture into intergrated farming and processing, and also cutting of cost of production and marketing of produce should be the main focus.

Election was conducted by the electoral committee, some of the elected executives are as follows: Nuvermbarz Farm(president) Chilan farm (vp) Mr Kila(Sec General)

The meeting was a huge success as we also got to see ourselves and share indepth info with one another. Below are some of the pictures from the meeting..

# To become a member of this Great association is very simple n the benefit out way the commitment fee! Oga Roland thanks for Hosting Us. We made it happen God bless us all. Signed Aguntasolo Lanre MD/CEO ChilanFarm (VP AQUABREN wink

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sagac10us: 3:24am On Jul 21, 2016
CATFISH OF DIFFERENT SIZES ARE AVAILABLE FIR SALE
chilanfarms:
# To become a member of this Great association is very simple n the benefit out way the commitment fee! Oga Roland thanks for Hosting Us. We made it happen God bless us all. Signed Aguntasolo Lanre MD/CEO ChilanFarm (VP AQUABREN wink
CATFISH OF DIFFERENT SIZES ARE AVAILABLE FIR SALE
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sagac10us: 3:27am On Jul 21, 2016
CATFISH OF DIFFERENT SIZES ARE AVAILABLE FOR SALE......
contact SAGACIOUS FARM on 08137138189 for your orders......
melange=#480 table size=#550 big(1.5 above)=#650

thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 11:33am On Jul 21, 2016
Please I need a viable broodstock in Akure, Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:42pm On Jul 21, 2016
ijababa:
Hello Ttalk, Kindly send me your email or phone number. I need your support on feed formulation

goldgate2003@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 9:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
next time,dont buy fishes with broken skull. I could have said that dont buy fishes from a breeder that could sell such,but so not to be fighting unknown battle(Laugh).Dont mind my phone,but is this fish looking healthy? how many weeks did your breeder claim the fishes truely are?
sir your advices are very appreciated, as for the breeder he said they are 9wks old though i dnt trust him cos since i bought them he never called to ask about the fishes and when i called him that almost 40 piece are not growing he didn't say anything, i think it should be the last business btw us...... But with baba God that i rely on, all is wel wit me and my fishes. As for the fish in basket its vry heighty, sir thanks and God bless.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:49pm On Jul 21, 2016
godwinufi68:
sir your advices are very appreciated, as for the breeder he said they are 9wks old though i dnt trust him cos since i bought them he never called to ask about the fishes and when i called him that almost 40 piece are not growing he didn't say anything, i think it should be the last business btw us...... But with baba God that i rely on, all is wel wit me and my fishes. As for the fish in basket its vry heighty, sir thanks and God bless.
9 weeks? hmmmm. God will help you my brother
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ijababa: 10:53pm On Jul 21, 2016
@ Bily - I noticed that the qty(per day) of feed specified in the excel is twice what was proposed in coppen's feeding table. Is this because you feed twice a day?
bily:

Someone already dropped a link above your comment, it's the same feeding table.

I just expanded it on excel for personal use
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dayborlar(m): 11:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
godwinufi68:
gudevenin sir, they where 7 inches, i gave them coppens 2mm, i change their water when its due like 2-3 days, u can even change ur water after 1 days cos ur water can get polluted due to overfeeding...... That is y we are advice not to over feed our fishes because frequent changing of water streeses the fish also i feed them twice a day(9:00am-5:00pm) to satiation. Note: on the day of their arriver i gave them anti-strees and after 1 week i mix booster/vitamin-c to their feeds cos i notice some hav broken skull. My broda that was all i did, i hop i answer all ur questions also feel free 2 ask on any area u don't understand thank U sir and God bless. Below is @ 1 month and 6days.

Thanks so much, you answered all.God bless your hustle Bro.
Regards...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bily(m): 2:59am On Jul 22, 2016
ijababa:
@ Bily - I noticed that the qty(per day) of feed specified in the excel is twice what was proposed in coppen's feeding table. Is this because you feed twice a day?

It's because the calculation I referenced was for 2000 fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 4:57am On Jul 22, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:
Please I need a viable broodstock in Akure, Ondo state.
# You can contact me for broodstock on 07065874135/ 08076515345. Tnx Chilanframs smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abefeglobal: 5:57am On Jul 22, 2016
chilanfarms:
# You can contact me for broodstock on 07065874135/ 08076515345. Tnx Chilanframs smiley

Yes he is recommended got mine yesterday in Osogbo .the former broodstock i got from him the fries are really doing great .they are 1 week plus now ....Thanks to Chilanframs for all the support .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ijababa: 10:20am On Jul 22, 2016
Thanks Bily.
To be sure we are on the same page, please confirm : 2000 fishes with average weight of 305g should be fed with 14.457kg of feed per day.

Lastly, Please confirm you also reference the table when using sinking feed.

bily:

It's because the calculation I referenced was for 2000 fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Perdana1980: 1:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
robonski15:
My fellow farmers and aspiring farmers fish business is no joke.. Its not what u toil with, its serious business.. Before u venture into it go and learn it practically.. Go to a good farm to see for youself.. Majority of the people that claim to be in the business are thieves.. They have sugar coated mouth to lure people into it and take their money...

I had to sqeeze out time to write this little piece for aspiring and practising farmers..

I am not here to sell any manual/books fingerlings or juvenile please.. Am here to answer any sort of question you need to know about catfish farming.. Feel free to ask me because I want the best for everybody,let's share ideas and make money together rather than exploiting people... So am all ears to your questions.. GOD BLESS YOU ALL..

visit www.agricnetwork.com to learn more about catfish farming business and also connect with other fish farmers. like us on [url]facebook.com/agricnetwork[/url]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sagac10us: 1:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
ijababa:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2016
With the high cost in foreign/local feed, I intend formulating my own feed. Please, where can I get a very good crusher, mixer, pelletizing machine. Cost for each should be included. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by KCoker(m): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
godwinufi68:

Hello Godwinufi68,
Perhaps i could share my experience with my breeder.
I needed fingerlins, and my breeder said the fishes he had would not be ideal for surface tank farmers like me. I pressured him to sell 200pcs of his so-called 'Poor growing batch to me' to see if i could get d best out of them - also to test if the breeder wanted post me. Below are my facts:

Pick-up date - 01/02/15
'Execution date' - 10/5/2015
Duration - 3mnths 9days
fingerlin Qty - 200pcs
Feed consumed - 4bags of Vital 2mm (60kg/ N16,800)
Water quality - Daily change
Total qty/weight as at 10/5/15 - 170pcs/ 21.7kg/ N7,595
Overall assessment of growth - Poor (Pure waste of time and resources)

This doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, but watch the growth of your fingerlins and don't pray they get to your desired size on time. Cut your losses by disposing them if their growth is below expectation.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
chilanfarms:

It was a pleasure Hosting the Association, we will surely soar higher. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
KCoker:

Hello Godwinufi68,
Perhaps i could share my experience with my breeder.
I needed fingerlins, and my breeder said the fishes he had would not be ideal for surface tank farmers like me. I pressured him to sell 200pcs of his so-called 'Poor growing batch to me' to see if i could get d best out of them - also to test if the breeder wanted post me. Below are my facts:
Pick-up date - 01/02/15
'Execution date' - 10/5/2015
Duration - 3mnths 9days
fingerlin Qty - 200pcs
Feed consumed - 4bags of Vital 2mm (60kg/ N16,800)
Water quality - Daily change
Total qty/weight as at 10/5/15 - 170pcs/ 21.7kg/ N7,595
Overall assessment of growth - Poor (Pure waste of time and resources)

This doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, but watch the growth of your fingerlins and don't pray they get to your desired size on time. Cut your losses by disposing them if their growth is below expectation.
The last statement you made on d subject is KEY.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
wilbro:
With the high cost in foreign/local feed, I intend formulating my own feed. Please, where can I get a very good crusher, mixer, pelletizing machine. Cost for each should be included. Thanks

Please, can someone help me with my request. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fxyoube(m): 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
Hello house
Firstly I will like to appreciate everyone who has contributed to these great trend.
Please am in need of a business plan on fish farming, will be so glad if I can have one. Thanks
Fxyoube@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MAAF: 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2016
Please does anyone know the ideal number of juveniles I need to stock in a 20ft by 40ft Earthen pond to achieve a weight of 1.5kg in 4 months.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:52pm On Jul 23, 2016
MAAF:
Please does anyone know the ideal number of juveniles I need to stock in a 20ft by 40ft Earthen pond to achieve a weight of 1.5kg in 4 months.
I can give you what you could stock, but the question will be how reliable is the juvenile or parent stock that will guarantee that target weight?

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.