Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,738 members, 7,918,290 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 07:49 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1523898 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 10:08am On Jul 29, 2014
Professional criticism wanted!

I use Durante from .7mm to 2mm, Ranaan/Aquamax/Vital from 3mm to 4mm. Local feed from 4mm to sale. But I usually feed with my local then augument it with floating after every feeding. I mean when I give local say 8kg,they also eat about 10kg floating. This continues till a month before sale. I am looking forward to making them accept my feed till sales without supplementing it with extruded feed.

Request:
Kindly advise if this practice is ok?
Kindly advise otherwise

Constructive criticism is welcome
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:07pm On Jul 29, 2014
samshoz: Does anyone supply fish to resturants in Ikeja axis? My person there needs some at his joint, help me out.
bro i blieve u are fine.That your friend should be able to say what quantity, his/her price offer, d size he/she is looking for, because a farmer that he/she goes to supply will already have details if d biz is worth it/not. A wise farmer will not even labor except he/she had communicated with d suppose buyer, a cogent agreement is reached, if na me, u come to me or money is paid B4 i will take a my goods to such buyer, bro u know people can choose to be funny.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2014
mozek24: Professional criticism wanted!

I use Durante from .7mm to 2mm, Ranaan/Aquamax/Vital from 3mm to 4mm. Local feed from 4mm to sale. But I usually feed with my local then augument it with floating after every feeding. I mean when I give local say 8kg,they also eat about 10kg floating. This continues till a month before sale. I am looking forward to making them accept my feed till sales without supplementing it with extruded feed.

Request:
Kindly advise if this practice is ok?
Kindly advise otherwise

Constructive criticism is welcome
whether constructive or otherwise, my bro from your writeup, u had being using/had use this system before, from your experience, u will be able to assess if that system suits u or your target sir, that times a man's doing might not meet up your goal, some straight local,some mixed with maggot, even dead animals, some straight foreign, i would have suggested that original coppen replace durante(almost and at times same price), for d fishes to accept your local feed well & at any stage, try to make your feed have a reasonable fish meal % in it(your formulation), God bless

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 1:26pm On Jul 29, 2014
excelsiorfarm: whether constructive or otherwise, my bro from your writeup, u had being using/had use this system before, from your experience, u will be able to assess if that system suits u or your target sir, that times a man's doing might not meet up your goal, some straight local,some mixed with maggot, even dead animals, some straight foreign, i would have suggested that original coppen replace durante(almost and at times same price), for d fishes to accept your local feed well & at any stage, try to make your feed have a reasonable fish meal % in it(your formulation), God bless

Thanks Excel, my FM 72% is 15kg for 100kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 1:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
excelsiorfarm: whether constructive or otherwise, my bro from your writeup, u had being using/had use this system before, from your experience, u will be able to assess if that system suits u or your target sir, that times a man's doing might not meet up your goal, some straight local,some mixed with maggot, even dead animals, some straight foreign, i would have suggested that original coppen replace durante(almost and at times same price), for d fishes to accept your local feed well & at any stage, try to make your feed have a reasonable fish meal % in it(your formulation), God bless

Well said. I practise the above system and get about an average of 1 to 1.5kg in 5 months from fingerlings using concrete ponds.
With the formular below:

Maize 26
Sbm. 20
Gnc. 28
Ffs. 10
Fm 72. 15
Lysn. 1
Salt. .5
F prx. .3
Aquapro. .1
Enzyme. .1
Oil. 2
Dcp. .2

I think the result is not good enough. Kindly review again and respond. Ikg in 5months when people are posting 2 to 2.5kg in 6 months.

Pls what should be done to achieve a better result?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by umunnatim(m): 2:26pm On Jul 29, 2014
Please How much is Pelleting Machine?i want an expert who can mix feed for me, tired of buying Foreign feed, i have 8,000 fishes i am looking at making my feed from the 4th month, My farm is in Warri.Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 3:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
excelsiorfarm: bro i blieve u are fine.That your friend should be able to say what quantity, his/her price offer, d size he/she is looking for, because a farmer that he/she goes to supply will already have details if d biz is worth it/not. A wise farmer will not even labor except he/she had communicated with d suppose buyer, a cogent agreement is reached, if na me, u come to me or money is paid B4 i will take a my goods to such buyer, bro u know people can choose to be funny.
I get u sir, i think btween 25/30
for start, cos its a resturant.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emeritus153: 3:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
do anybody know the reason why my fishes are not responding to feeding, if I feed them with imported feed they will eat it with else, without struggling but if I put flesh like chicken they will struggle like to kill each other. anytime I feed them with 6mm Durante they will not eat it with seriousness until it spoil my water. they will be 4 months by 15th of August
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by opes: 3:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
mozek24:

Well said. I practise the above system and get about an average of 1 to 1.5kg in 5 months from fingerlings using concrete ponds.
With the formular below:

Maize 26
Sbm. 20
Gnc. 28
Ffs. 10
Fm 72. 15
Lysn. 1
Salt. .5
F prx. .3
Aquapro. .1
Enzyme. .1
Oil. 2
Dcp. .2

I think the result is not good enough. Kindly review again and respond. Ikg in 5months when people are posting 2 to 2.5kg in 6 months.

That is not bad, considering what you are feeding them with, and in concrete pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2014
Emeritus153: do anybody know the reason why my fishes are not responding to feeding, if I feed them with imported feed they will eat it with else, without struggling but if I put flesh like chicken they will struggle like to kill each other. anytime I feed them with 6mm Durante they will not eat it with seriousness until it spoil my water. they will be 4 months by 15th of August

Feed fish with chicken?

You nkor? Which one will you prefer?

Chicken or agbado?

One day they will go for your hand. I hope your children don't go close to them.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by calistaodoh: 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2014
@ Juve, thanks for responding to my question. U said u always sort before stocking, pls can u explain further. I'm totally new in this field. My initial thought was that, before introducing d fishes into d earthen pond, they would first be introduced into d concrete pond where, one would be able to sort them for a while (2-3weeks) then, finally transferred to d earthen pond. I really need help here. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Emeritus153: do anybody know the reason why my fishes are not responding to feeding, if I feed them with imported feed they will eat it with else, without struggling but if I put flesh like chicken they will struggle like to kill each other. anytime I feed them with 6mm Durante they will not eat it with seriousness until it spoil my water. they will be 4 months by 15th of August

You are feeding dem with too many tingz at d same time. They need to get used to a particular taste before dey start rushing it. I hope ur 6mm ia okay for them to pick up.
My advice: give dem clean water and starve dem for dat day.Start feeding dem gradually with Durante frm the next day and in about 3 days time dey will be rushing for d Durante. Dont confuse dem wt coppens. Either u stick wt coppens or go with durante.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
mozek24:

With the formular below:

Maize 26
Sbm. 20
Gnc. 28
Ffs. 10
Fm 72. 15
Lysn. 1
Salt. .5
F prx. .3
Aquapro. .1
Enzyme. .1
Oil. 2
Dcp. .2

N.B. pple are posting 1.5kg - 2.5kg in four months grin

I notice there is no methionine in ur feed. Is it not necessary to add it in fish feed? #just asking

Why not just stick to d local and see if there will be improvement in weight diz time. Instead of the soyabean meal, add whole wheat and increase ur maize for more carbohydrate to make dem weigh more.
#i stand to be corrected.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
mozek24:

Thanks Excel, my FM 72% is 15kg for 100kg
increase it, for palatability, though other things/items like soya can replace it, blood meal(pollutes water greatly),
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2014
stop durante, i never like it,pollutes water, not palatable enough(i notice fish responses to it long ago), apology to durante, they have great broodstocks(when they sell) & other great products
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2014
samshoz: I get u sir, i think btween 25/30
for start, cos its a resturant.
25/30 kg, make your friend go d farm to collect it, tell him your friends are not desperate for sales, except he intends to pay more for services(laugh)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Belexy:

N.B. pple are posting 1.5kg - 2.5kg in four months grin

I notice there is no methionine in ur feed. Is it not necessary to add it in fish feed? #just asking

Why not just stick to d local and see if there will be improvement in weight diz time. Instead of the soyabean meal, add whole wheat and increase ur maize for more carbohydrate to make dem weigh more.
#i stand to be corrected.
methionine & lysine is vital in animal production, though quantity varies, u get some also in livestovit, for those post given, many thing influences it, breed, age at purchase, water mgt to say a few
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
mozek24:

With the formular below:

Maize 26
Sbm. 20
Gnc. 28
Ffs. 10
Fm 72. 15
Lysn. 1
Salt. .5
F prx. .3
Aquapro. .1
Enzyme. .1
Oil. 2
Dcp. .2

never use another man's standard, parameter counts too e.g. Those using earthen pond will most likely beat concrete, those using flowing earthen pond will beat another using earthen pond, recirculatory suppose to beat them, hence parameters differs, good water mgt enhances growth,quality of feed also matters to write a few

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
calistaodoh: @ Juve, thanks for responding to my question. U said u always sort before stocking, pls can u explain further. I'm totally new in this field. My initial thought was that, before introducing d fishes into d earthen pond, they would first be introduced into d concrete pond where, one would be able to sort them for a while (2-3weeks) then, finally transferred to d earthen pond. I really need help here. Thanks.
@calistaodoh, u wlcm. Sorting simply means separatin d bigger fingerlings/juveniles from the smaller ones b4 introducing them into any kinda pond. You said u r new in this field, Have you started fish farming or still intending. Finally were is your Location tnx.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by calistaodoh: 8:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
@Juve, thanks once again. I'm about to start. However, I know what sorting is. I'm not just familiar with d procedure in earthen pond. Knowing how important sorting is in fish business, I want to know how it can be done when one is using earthen pond due to nature of such ponds. i'm in kogi state Lokoja, to be precise. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Shine1177: 8:16pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
calistaodoh: @Juve, thanks once again. I'm about to start. However, I know what sorting is. I'm not just familiar with d procedure in earthen pond. Knowing how important sorting is in fish business, I want to know how it can be done when one is using earthen pond due to nature of such ponds. i'm in kogi state Lokoja, to be precise. Thanks.
@calistaodoh, wishing u the very best. But pls & pls stock good fingerlings/Juveniles. Thats the first step 2 success or Failure. Secondly hope u have consulted with a practising Earthen/Concrete pond fish farmer in ur area. Finally Good Luck 2 u. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 8:45pm On Jul 29, 2014
calistaodoh: @Juve, thanks once again. I'm about to start. However, I know what sorting is. I'm not just familiar with d procedure in earthen pond. Knowing how important sorting is in fish business, I want to know how it can be done when one is using earthen pond due to nature of such ponds. i'm in kogi state Lokoja, to be precise. Thanks.

Please remember to show us some pix when you finally start oh . . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mogentle(m): 9:37pm On Jul 29, 2014
excelsiorfarm: possible, i once posted a pic of such before d crash, if possible, i will try to re upload d pic again
Hope you still remember the pics you promised to post. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2014
mogentle:
Hope you still remember the pics you promised to post. Thanks.
check d previous page, the pic post is on d thread, with excelsiorfarm name on it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mogentle(m): 11:56pm On Jul 29, 2014
excelsiorfarm: check d previous page, the pic post is on d thread, with excelsiorfarm name on it
Ok, thanks, sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:45am On Jul 30, 2014
mogentle:
Ok, thanks, sir.
THANK GOD
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 12:54am On Jul 30, 2014
ab1x:

2000 pieces...u r to use 2bags of 0.8mm, 2 bags of 1.2mm and 1 bag of 2mm.....They will finished the 5 bags within 25 days max if they eat very well. You can then switch to local feeds. Each formula posted is 100KG. Writing all the formula here is going to take me a while. It is not easy bro. I will try to be posting each formula per day.

I make sure I feed the fish to saturation point before I leave farm.My oga Ab1x, what is the next formula to use after using 200kg of formula two. How old will the fish most likely be and how to compound the feed. Is it still in 2mm or 4mm? Also in d pic showing u and Tokugawa, pls identify yourself. Tnxs

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 1:08am On Jul 30, 2014
My Oga ab1x, pls what formula do I switch to after using 200 kg of formula 2? How old will the fish most likely be and should their feed still be in 2 or 4mm? Also pls identify yourself in the picture above showing you and Tokugawa. Tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 6:13am On Jul 30, 2014
saddek04: My Oga ab1x, pls what formula do I switch to after using 200 kg of formula 2? How old will the fish most likely be and should their feed still be in 2 or 4mm? Also pls identify yourself in the picture above showing you and Tokugawa. Tnx

FM 30, GNC 20, TS 20, Maize 10, Biscuit 10, Premix 1, Vit C 100grams, DCP 1, Salt 1, Molasis 10
(Floxinor 1 or Tectracin 1) it is antibiotics and it is optional but I make use of it whenever I want to make my feed

The above formula is 100KG.

Your fish should still be around 2 month or so. This factor depend on the population of the fish you stocked couple with their eating habit. You can still continue with 2mm. The smaller the size of the feeds, the better for the fish because they tend to eat small feeds more and the digestion rate is very high.

My picture is in profile.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emeritus153: 6:38am On Jul 30, 2014
Belexy:

You are feeding dem with too many tingz at d same time. They need to get used to a particular taste before dey start rushing it. I hope ur 6mm ia okay for them to pick up.
My advice: give dem clean water and starve dem for dat day.Start feeding dem gradually with Durante frm the next day and in about 3 days time dey will be rushing for d Durante. Dont confuse dem wt coppens. Either u stick wt coppens or go with durante.
thanks my man, I grabbed
your point
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tucoolz: 6:53pm On Jul 30, 2014
i concure, with just 500 catfish i spent over 350000 to feed and those "eleja people came with thier charm and i sold at a terible loss it was when they have gone that i realised i have lost. even the mallams too can be very dubious, i carried my fish from my farm to meet them in arisekola market, we already agreed on the price but as soon as the fishes are out of water the price changes and u'll hav no option than to sell.

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.