Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,205 members, 7,880,747 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:44 AM

Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? (12317 Views)

Aregbesola Admits Increasing Airport Contract By N7bn / Natural Method Of Reducing Body Fats / Lagos To Support Increasing Population With Fibre-Optic Cables. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by ezedolar: 2:53am On Apr 01, 2013
dedons: It has drastically reduced...infact it has stopped finally...no more curruption in NIGERIA as far as i'm concernd.

U are rite

No be the same NAIJA you and me dey,wey u cum dey ask dis kind question
dedons: It has drastically reduced...infact it has stopped finally...no more curruption in NIGERIA as far as i'm concernd.

U are rite

U are rite

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Katsumoto: 3:05am On Apr 01, 2013
Someone who benefits from the corruption is asking others whether corruption is increasing or reducing. Why don't you just pay others, from the crumbs you are getting, to agree with you?

If corruption was reducing, would Alams, an internationally wanted thief, be sharing the same toilet seat as the president? And would the president's spokesmen be saying publicly that Alams is crucial to Nigeria's economy?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by awodman: 5:26am On Apr 01, 2013
atiku07:

This guy I don't want to know who you r but u can be so annoying. Even if u r given a job to do why can't u try as much as possible and do it with ur church mind. I see dis stupid question backed with crazy and myopic form of analysis as the height of insult ever received by Nigerians from the GEJ 40 laptop gang. Haba how can a right thinking human be asking such a nauseating question in the wake of the almaiyesgha (don't know if I got the spelling right)pardonegate,police pension scam, subsidy borouhaha,a defective judiciary and all u now came here with some beer parlour analysis on how supposing 20billion did its Job and how 500million did its and how funds no longer go into private pocket, how are we sure those funds r not even inflated.

Sincere9gerian

Do u even know de definition of corruption abi from de training u received on how to defend a defective government blindly you were told corruption only entails making sure money does not go into the private pocket abi. Well corruption is way more than that o! Mr defender of the retardeen it involves all spheres of government from local to private sector corruption is just every where even the blind can feel it. Your so called GEJ finally lost de whole respect I had for him when he pardoned dat s.l.o.w p.o.k.e bail jumping son of a gorilla. So with all said and done I will conclude that corruption had just set a world record in Nigeria during ur oga's era and he is even doing next to nothing to curb dat Poo (abi how does one explain appointing a reknown thief as NPA chairman anyway it shows ur oga's anticident as a fellow partaker of corruption noni) all thesame we r patiently waiting 2015 is simply around the corner where we can teach u nit wit that Nigerians ain't no fools "we all know As e dey go"
When you said corruption is more than that..I was expecting you to give your definition of corruption...but you ended up saying nothing.All indications points to the fact that you are really pissed with the Alam's pardon,which is quite normal.Maybe you can also help with better ideas of fighting corruption than the one he suggested
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by OrinocoFlow: 5:51am On Apr 01, 2013
Our depositor sacrifices objectivity for conclusion. The tone of article already precludes a 'for' and not 'against'.
If truly you are Nigerian and by this I mean live, work/hussle, breed in Nigeria then you will know withouta doubt that corruption is on the increase.
*Not ONLY are contract still being over-inflated; baseless appropriations are being made. Case in point; N4B for 1st Lady mission house, N5.5B for servicing/Maintenance of Gen sets in Presidential villa(aren't we workin on a power reform presently?), N5B provision for ex-heads of states:- the list is endless.
*N20B is alot of money Sir. What was the true cost Lagos - Kano rail? how many new trains were purchased?at wat cost?how much of the rail line was rebuilt/refurbished?at what cost?what are plans for sustainability/expansion?Am sure if you put down the cost of what has actually been done it would not amount to money disbursed. As for Enugu - PH I am NOT qualified to comment as I havent been to that axis in 4yrs.
*@Ghost Workers:-always funny to me.what/where is the proof?if you were spending N100B a year and wer NOT gettin commensurate output, wouldnt you know immediately? for 10s even if they did exist, wudn't it be more practical to eliminate the mechanism that brought them?

From ALL above; it is UNsafe and UNfair to conclude that corruption is reducing in Nigeria.

In closure; the bottom-line to the Nigerian-Corruption romance is that at the core of the average Nigerian is a strong desire to screw the system over(does the term 'if na you nko? ring a bell?).Corruption exists in EVERY corner of the globe(YES every corner!Vatican-White House-Mecca-China-Russia-UK-Venezuela-Naija-SA take ur pick). The difference is the attitude the peoples take towards it. Sentiments do NOT curb corruption. Like cancer, it CANNOT be wished or prayed away.
Untill I see life imprisonment/death penalty IMPLEMENTED for corrupt officials in Naija; anyother 'yarns' is self ammusement.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by nagoma(m): 6:22am On Apr 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Unfortunately, we have done badly in the aspect of prosecuting corrupt people and securing convictions. Our justice system is painfully slow. That has to change. It should be possible to arraign people for corruption and get judgement within 6months.
Nonetheless, our people have to understand the fact that corruption is not only fought by catching people and throwing them into prison. Prevention of corruption is also an important way of fighting corruption. Remember also that prevention is always better and most times cheaper than cure. It is better to prevent the money from being stolen than allowing the money to be stolen after which we now begin to chase after those who have stolen the money. More over, chasing after looters of the treasury does not come cheap.
Especially when the biggest treasury looters are the ones expected to chase the other looters! Fighting corruption must come by example. You don't pardon convicted corrupted high profiled persons if you are serious about fighting corruption. That simply sends the wrong signal to the corrupt and those intending to be. Visible austerity and transparency from a real leader tends to be mirrored by the followers and with firmer and result oriented regulations we could be on our way in fighting corruption and SINCERERITY is the key - The word that you cleary insult and abuse by wickedly placing it in your name. I don't know what this man , insicereNigerian wants to achieve by always insisting that black is white and white is black. One of your obsessions is to have your posting on front page or else you sulk and throw tantrums, the moderators are fully aware of this and have learned to handle and massage your ego. Jona cannot fight corruption , him and the people around him are the personification of corruption . Nigeria will have to start afresh whenever he leaves. And he must leave - one day . It should be sooner rather than later. angry
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by omowolewa: 6:42am On Apr 01, 2013
Corruption is gradually changing its name to Nigeria. Declare your Nigerian Passport outside Nigeria and you see them watching you closely for corrupt tendencies.

Corruption is increasing in the country and its not responding to any solution (foreign or local)

It keep singing; 'you and I will be as one' to us and we dance to it.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Mogidi: 6:53am On Apr 01, 2013
Katsumoto: Someone who benefits from the corruption is asking others whether corruption is increasing or reducing. Why don't you just pay others, from the crumbs you are getting, to agree with you?

If corruption was reducing, would Alams, an internationally wanted thief, be sharing the same toilet seat as the president?

Kasumoto please try having rational argument if you don't agree with the post even though the OP went a great length in buttressing his point.
On one hand you want to be taken as an academic on the other you espouse views without an atom of cursory scrutiny into what the @OP wrote. I've watched you on several occasions join the Yoruba Mafia to promote your conspicuous bias for national disgrace aka Tinubu.
And before you go fire your arrows about me being a paid agent, it would be nice if you and your posse of unmitigated miscreant tell us whose payroll you're on.

And would the president's spokesmen be saying publicly that Alams is crucial to Nigeria's economy?

A bit of research would have saved your hand-wringing angst against the above. Go read the reasons given, though I doubt you'd bother, better to obfuscate the truth, isn't it?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by confusion247(m): 7:02am On Apr 01, 2013
payless: Getting rid of corruption starts with Jonathan putting IBB, Obasano, Abubakar, Atiku, Patience jonathan, Anenih, Mainna, Alams, and many more on trial for corrupt practices. Anything else is lip service.
Tinubu should have made your list.
@topic.....corruption have been legalized and enshrined as eight point agenda of this administration.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 01, 2013
Jollof: @ OP - Thanks for bringing up the issue of Corruption but the issue isn't necessarily whether or not it's increasing or decreasing...it exists and it has reached alarming levels as you've pointed out. The next post you should be thinking of (and that would be more engaging) should be how to tackle corruption. This forum should serve as a decent sample of Nigerians from diverse backgrounds so I believe it would be interesting to see the different ways we think it can be reduced e.g. How would you tackle corruption as the President of Nigeria? And please be reminded that even though we know the corruption in government/public sector is one issue, corruption in the private sector also exists...some churches are no exception. Looking forward to the follow-up.
I created a thread on how to curb corruption in January this year and thanks to the moderator, it made front page.
https://www.nairaland.com/1163745/what-done-curb-corruption-nigeria
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 01, 2013
atiku07:

This guy I don't want to know who you r but u can be so annoying. Even if u r given a job to do why can't u try as much as possible and do it with ur church mind. I see dis stupid question backed with crazy and myopic form of analysis as the height of insult ever received by Nigerians from the GEJ 40 laptop gang. Haba how can a right thinking human be asking such a nauseating question in the wake of the almaiyesgha (don't know if I got the spelling right)pardonegate,police pension scam, subsidy borouhaha,a defective judiciary and all u now came here with some beer parlour analysis on how supposing 20billion did its Job and how 500million did its and how funds no longer go into private pocket, how are we sure those funds r not even inflated.

Sincere9gerian

Do u even know de definition of corruption abi from de training u received on how to defend a defective government blindly you were told corruption only entails making sure money does not go into the private pocket abi. Well corruption is way more than that o! Mr defender of the retardeen it involves all spheres of government from local to private sector corruption is just every where even the blind can feel it. Your so called GEJ finally lost de whole respect I had for him when he pardoned dat s.l.o.w p.o.k.e bail jumping son of a gorilla. So with all said and done I will conclude that corruption had just set a world record in Nigeria during ur oga's era and he is even doing next to nothing to curb dat Poo (abi how does one explain appointing a reknown thief as NPA chairman anyway it shows ur oga's anticident as a fellow partaker of corruption noni) all thesame we r patiently waiting 2015 is simply around the corner where we can teach u nit wit that Nigerians ain't no fools "we all know As e dey go"
The topic of this thread is "Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing?". I expressed my opinion on the topic. If you have different opinion on the topic, you'r free to share with us. Leave "Sincere 9gerian" out of it. That is not the topic. However, if you feel strongly about discussing Sincere 9gerian, you can create another thread for that at the general section. Stay focused, stay on the topic
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by ewet: 7:39am On Apr 01, 2013
Your attempt at this treatise in not adequately indepth.The hydra headed monster of corruption i tell you is embeded in the cultural fabric of nigerians.Nigerians are by acculturisation currupt people.we are always quick to point fingers at the govt why we all grin with smilie and joy whn we get the oppurtuinity to exploit the system or somebodyelse.
However the onions on combatting currution both at the macro and micro society lies with the govt.Your GEJ needs to do alot more to tackle this menace,his govt drinks,eats,wears and sleeps corruption,if the govt is this entrenched in corrupt practices,then hw can you convince the governed to do otherwise.
Your GEJ govt in my view has not helped the issue of killing corruption but has rather edified it to monstrous proportion.
"SINCERE9GERIAN WE KNOW YOU AND WE KNOW WHT U R TRYIN TO DO BUT U NID TO TRY HARDER TO CONVINCE US NEXT TIME" cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Reference(m): 7:46am On Apr 01, 2013
What do you expect. Of course it will increase as the battle for the soul of Nigeria rages with the militants in the creeks and the insurgents in the north (and more to come) until there is a power equilibrium i.e. equal access to power then the decline in corruption can begin.

You see Nigeria is like a family where there is a very wealthy dad with wifey and the kids in abject penury. The only way he's gonna hold his family together is by corruption. Trading one kid against the other, a series of settlements here and there to get his food done, his car washed, his clothes pressed. Such is Nigeria.

Since independence it has always been a series of settlements with oil blocks, contracts, federal appointments, that's where federal character comes in. That's where competence, prudence and propriety vanishes. That's where it becomes systemic, institutionalised.

That's why the ND militants were given amnesty, that's why the northern insurgents or their sponsors want the goodies too. Its all about power. And on and on.

If you can solve the power equation then corruption is disarmed. Corruption is not a person so to chase people is a waste of time. It is an institution. The biggest and most organised in Nigeria and guess what, we all support it one way or the other overtly or covertly everyday.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Reference(m): 8:00am On Apr 01, 2013
Katsumoto: Someone who benefits from the corruption is asking others whether corruption is increasing or reducing. Why don't you just pay others, from the crumbs you are getting, to agree with you?

If corruption was reducing, would Alams, an internationally wanted thief, be sharing the same toilet seat as the president? And would the president's spokesmen be saying publicly that Alams is crucial to Nigeria's economy?

Of course he is crucial to the country's economy. Do the math. Your car has one engine and you're asking if its crucial to your journey. The question we should be asking is how on earth did we get here. Are we not debating on whether to give Ibrahim Shekau and his associates amnesty. Between mass murder and stealing which is worse.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by PastorOla1: 8:08am On Apr 01, 2013
With enthronement of the culture of impunity curruption is on astronomical increase in Nigeria. What a pity!!!
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Spoils(m): 8:08am On Apr 01, 2013
Story dat touch,no be only reduce.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by gsalvatore: 8:25am On Apr 01, 2013
I see Nobody(TopDawg) in JAIL or Facing Firing Squad. That's my index for fighting corruption.

When we start seeing that then the Op should write us something worth reading.

We Glorify corruption here in Naija.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by presiade(m): 8:27am On Apr 01, 2013
Laalamed: most of u guys are corrupt as well.fornication, cheating in exam,petty thief etc. as long as nigerians are corrupt govt remain corrupt.
You're just too much. This is my concept of corruption in Nigeria: leaders were once part of the larger society, and they hold the 'values' of the society regardless of their status; so if the society is corrupt, the products (leaders) must be da.mn corrupt. You don't expect a gang of armed robbers to elect a policeman their ring leader!
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Fantacy1(m): 8:30am On Apr 01, 2013
To me, corruption ve come 2 stay in Nigeria starting with the "Ogas at the top". The only way 2 curb corruption is 2 ensure dat evry corrupt public officer is prosecuted. To achieve dis, the Judicial arms of govt shud be completely seperated 4rm d Executive/Legislative cuz itz obvous our Judges ar d facilitators of corruption in dis country as dey have reduced themselve 2 political errand boys 2 our Executives. The diff Armed forces and Paramilitary shud be given Authonomy so dey can elect dia own COCs not allowing the Executives 2 appoint incompetent COCs dat wil be concealing dia evil acts. Wen dis is done, pple wil learn 2 fear corruption mor dan HIV. God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Reference(m): 8:32am On Apr 01, 2013

Sorry for the double post. Was dealing with some smartasses at work. Its everywhere. Like a damn plague.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by fasbat(m): 9:31am On Apr 01, 2013
[quote author=Sincere 9gerian]What can you say about corruption in Nigeria today? Is it reducing or increasing?

The truth about assessing corruption is that it is very SUBJECTIVE, unlike roads, stable power, railways,etc that can be SEEN and TOUCHED. Going by accounts in the media, one would think corruption is increasing. Unfortunately, the media is still reinforcing the age-long PERCEPTION of high level of corruption in the country.

But what are the sources/avenues of corruption in Nigeria?

In my opinion, the MAJOR sources/avenue of corruption in Nigeria, based on the structure of the budget, include:

* from the capital side
1 over-inflated contracts
2 poorly executed or abandoned projects

* from the recurrent expenditure side
1 ghost workers/pensioners
2 security votes
3 ambiguous budget sub-heads

There are other avenues(eg subsidies like fuel subsidy, fertilizer subsidy) but these are the ones that readily comes to mind.

UNDER GEJ,CORRUPTION HAVE BEEN COMMERCIALISED & LEGALISED
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by chukkynwob(m): 9:36am On Apr 01, 2013
@Sincere9gerian I commend your efforts at trying to establish an objective analysis on the level of corruption in Nigeria

Nevertheless from the comments on this thread majority of Nigerians on this thread think corruption is on increase,that must really say something about Nigeria.

Even though your arguments that preventing corruption is better than fighting corruption sounds good but I personally think that sending a strong message by the judiciary,that for every corrupt practise there will be a full and swift legal recompense will serve as a glaring deterrent to corruption and both should work in tandem.

In the end the issue like one poster said corruption in Nigeria is very subjective as it depends on an individual's political affliation,position in the society and most importantly level of information on the topic

God bless Sincere9gerian, God bless the federal republic of Nigeria and God bless our leaders and touch their hearts to know that rather than giving 2face a Ferari and a prado jeep that a lot of kids are hungry in this great nation.

Peace out

PS: A performing government does not need to spend money on image laundry, service delivery is an efficient spokesperson.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by jakedes(m): 9:50am On Apr 01, 2013
This unsincere Nigerian guy must be laughing and feeling like a celebrity...we have fell for the guy's attention seeking by building so much comment on his unsincere thread...please just un-follow and stop the commenting...just keep your opinons and griveance to heart tills the dooms day..the more you talk and comment they more they build up a new strategy to enhance the corrupt activities...so please stop the comments..
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 01, 2013
chukkynwob: @Sincere9gerian I commend your efforts at trying to establish an objective analysis on the level of corruption in Nigeria

Nevertheless from the comments on this thread majority of Nigerians on this thread think corruption is on increase,that must really say something about Nigeria.

Even though your arguments that preventing corruption is better than fighting corruption sounds good but I personally think that sending a strong message by the judiciary,that for every corrupt practise there will be a full and swift legal recompense will serve as a glaring deterrent to corruption and both should work in tandem.

In the end the issue like one poster said corruption in Nigeria is very subjective as it depends on an individual's political affliation,position in the society and most importantly level of information on the topic

God bless Sincere9gerian, God bless the federal republic of Nigeria and God bless our leaders and touch their hearts to know that rather than giving 2face a Ferari and a prado jeep that a lot of kids are hungry in this great nation.

Peace out

PS: A performing government does not need to spend money on image laundry, service delivery is an efficient spokesperson.
Thank you. I agree with you on the need for a swift justice system. This is a challenge for the present govt. The present situation where prosecution of corrupt persons last for like eternity is UNACCEPTABLE. I believe with continuous pressure, we'll get there.

Meanwhile, I still insist that corruption is decreasing. I'm from Anambra state. In the past, in my state, it was common for the govt to award road contracts, mount sign post at project site, the contractor collects huge sums as mobilization fee and disappear from project site. Some contractors even receive complete payment for job not done or very poorly done. But today, all that has reduced drastically.

The story is the same or similar in many other states.

From the posts so far, most commenters do not agree with me but ironically most of those who do not agree with me cannot OBJECTIVELY disprove my points.

I'm not afraid to stand alone on any issue provided I can confidently and OBJECTIVELY defend my position.

Just to stretch the arguement further, when Buhari and his gangs seized power in the 80's from politicians of the second republic, they told us those politicians were mindlessly corrupt. However, subsequently, Nigerians later discovered that most of the politicians of the second republic, including president Shagari, were POOR CHURCH RATS.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by chukkynwob(m): 10:53am On Apr 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Thank you. I agree with you on the need for a swift justice system. This is a challenge for the present govt. The present situation where prosecution of corrupt persons last for like eternity is UNACCEPTABLE. I believe with continuous pressure, we'll get there.

Meanwhile, I still insist that corruption is decreasing. I'm from Anambra state. In the past, in my state, it was common for the govt to award road contracts, mount sign post at project site, the contractor collects huge sums as mobilization fee and disappear from project site. Some contractors even receive complete payment for job not done or very poorly done. But today, all that has reduced drastically.

The story is the same or similar in many other states.

From the posts so far, most commenters do not agree with me but ironically most of those who do not agree with me cannot OBJECTIVELY disprove my points.

I'm not afraid to stand alone on any issue provided I can confidently and OBJECTIVELY defend my position.

Just to stretch the arguement further, when Buhari and his gangs seized power in the 80's from politicians of the second republic, they told us those politicians were mindlessly corrupt. However, subsequently, Nigerians later discovered that most of the politicians of the second republic, including president Shagari, were POOR CHURCH RATS.

Most users on this forum result to ad hominems and it always obstructs any form of intellectual discourse.

Well my arguement is very subjective as I type we have been running on gen in my house for 2months running, how do you think I'll feel hearing that our power generation increased by X Mw? The increase might be true but for me its not relevant to my issue.

If the general populace starts experiencing dividends of democracy you question should be just a mere rhetorical question.

Let me highlight another issue the Sure-P program, I know @least 20 of my friends that registered on the sure-p graduate internship program,one year running..not one have benefitted from the program.

In the end the work of a government of continually improving the lives of the populace is a continual process,if indeed you assertion that corruption is decreasing then its a welcome development.

As for governor Peter Obi I lack words, let me site a trivial example have you been to awka lately the town is now a huge refuse dump. Is that a sign of performing government? Awka used to be clean and tidy under Ngige. The money budgeted for sanitation how is being spent,if people in awka literally live in huge pills of dirt?

David Mark still earns more than Barack Obama, GEJ asked us to accept petroleum price increase and still has refused to take a pay cut,Subsidy probe has now died a natural nigerian death, e.t.c

The change goes from top to bottom,if our leaders allow nigerians to try the reverse polarity of change it'll only lead to mayhem.

Also passing the buck that corruption didn't start with this admission is also admitting defeat that it probably won't end in this administration.

80's politicians were poor, can that be said about present politicians? Where David Mark bought a Ferari for a muscian, and Akwa Ibom's governor also a prado jeep for the same musician? Why didn't GEJ declare his assets in respect to equity and spirit of fight against corruption? I could go on and on,but it'll just spoil my mood and I sincerely want to enjoy this easter monday holiday.

But for this your thread I have not commented on the state of Nigerian with anyone for 6years now because I have lost hope. And I think many other Nigerians have lost hope too.

Again I commend your effort in trying to bridge the chasm between government and the governed

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by plendil: 10:57am On Apr 01, 2013
Pastor Ola: With enthronement of the culture of impunity curruption is on astronomical increase in Nigeria. What a pity!!!

It (bolded) is as simple as that.

“This [pardon of Alams] decision undermines anti-corruption efforts in Nigeria and encourages impunity. If the government is serious about uprooting public corruption, sanctions against those who betray the public trust should be strengthened, not relaxed,” said Akere Muna, vice-chair of Transparency International.

Mr. Alamieyeseigha will now be able to stand for public office again.

http://www.transparency.org/news/pressrelease/20130314_transparency_international_calls_on_nigerian_president_to_rescind
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Katsumoto: 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2013
Mogidi:

Kasumoto please try having rational argument if you don't agree with the post even though the OP went a great length in buttressing his point.
On one hand you want to be taken as an academic on the other you espouse views without an atom of cursory scrutiny into what the @OP wrote. I've watched you on several occasions join the Yoruba Mafia to promote your conspicuous bias for national disgrace aka Tinubu.
And before you go fire your arrows about me being a paid agent, it would be nice if you and your posse of unmitigated miscreant tell us whose payroll you're on.

A bit of research would have saved your hand-wringing angst against the above. Go read the reasons given, though I doubt you'd bother, better to obfuscate the truth, isn't it?

You sure make a lot of assumptions. At what point did I state I wanted to be taken as an academic? Second, you claim that I joined a 'Yoruba Mafia' to bias for Tinubu. I have spoken for and against Tinubu and my post history will vindicate me. Unlike most, I don't take a rigid stance on every subject. The position I take is based on the merits and de-merits of the subject. See below for a post on Tinubu/ACN

Katsumoto: If Tinubu is interested in reducing waste, let his party sponsor a bill demanding that NASS spending be reduced by 50% for a start.

They add no value, sleep in NASS, and earn more than the president of the richest nation. Fc.uking ridiculous.

As for the insults you threw, I won't bother to respond to them because you are a nobody. Before this post, I didn't have a clue about your person and I still don't. I am only responding to your post because you are insinuating that I am a political jobber like insincere Nigerian and yourself. The only folks who support GEJ's incompetence and corruption are those who benefit from the current system and those who are from the same region as he is. I could care less which group you belong to.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by nuclearboy(m): 1:48pm On Apr 01, 2013
Laughable!

There was an election they'd have us believe was fair! So, the opposition says "please let's use the Biometric data captured to assess the TRUE fairness of that election"

Answer: NO, IT WILL AFFECT NATIONAL SECURITY!

So, let's ask - 1. "why was 87 Billion spent on same biometrics?" 2. How does showing samples of ordinary individuals data and comparing voters cards, affect National security, if indeed the elections were fair? 3. Where did the 7,000 dollars each delegate collected at Eagle square come from? What of their lodgings, feeding and even sequestering so Atiku couldn't give them his own inducement? 4. What of the fuel subsidy Trillions - who has truly been punished for that if indeed those funds didn't in great part go towards election 2011? 5. What happened to Ribadu's report and indeed, all other reports?

Yes, IBB was a Thief! So was Abacha! But they took power by the gun as opposed to this administration that "supposedly" is "democratic" - they were our masters because they held weapons! This government is supposed to SERVE us, so how dare you compare the two types?

Its instantly obvious to everyone that this government is worse NOT ONLY in losing more National funds but also in morality - and the motto seems to be "its OUR turn so we'll steal as much as we wish whist dedicating a small portion to propaganda" - at least IBB NEVER paid anyone to do nothing but come online and lie to Nigerians on a daily basis! Yet on NL alone, we can easily find at least, a half dozen at any time since this government came into power!

I will NEVER directly insult the President because he's older than I am! Yet he insults me daily!
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Vincent41(m): 3:25pm On Apr 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What can you say about corruption in Nigeria today? Is it reducing or increasing?

The truth about assessing corruption is that it is very SUBJECTIVE, unlike roads, stable power, railways,etc that can be SEEN and TOUCHED. Going by accounts in the media, one would think corruption is increasing. Unfortunately, the media is still reinforcing the age-long PERCEPTION of high level of corruption in the country.

But what are the sources/avenues of corruption in Nigeria?

In my opinion, the MAJOR sources/avenue of corruption in Nigeria, based on the structure of the budget, include:

* from the capital side
1 over-inflated contracts
2 poorly executed or abandoned projects

* from the recurrent expenditure side
1 ghost workers/pensioners
2 security votes
3 ambiguous budget sub-heads

There are other avenues(eg subsidies like fuel subsidy, fertilizer subsidy) but these are the ones that readily comes to mind.

Since we know the MAJOR avenues/sources for corruption we can attempt a slightly more OBJECTIVE assessment of whether corruption is increasing or decreasing in Nigeria by working from the KNOWN to the UNKNOWN

First lets assess if the level of over-inflated contracts is increasing or decreasing. If its increasing, it implies corruption is increasing and if its decreasing, it implies corruption is decreasing. In the last 2yrs, it is difficult not to have noticed the practice at the federal level of publishing the contract sums, name of contractor, location of project, project specification,etc of every project awarded for ALL to see and take notice, and complain of over-inflated contract where such is suspected. In the absence of such complaints from any quarter, it is safe to assume most of the projects awarded in the last 2yrs or so were REASONABLY costed. If that is the case, it is an INDICATOR of reducing corruption. Now the challenge is for such practice to trickle down to the states and local govt level.
http://peoplesdailyng.com/fec-approves-n47-8bn-for-13-road-contracts/
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/fed-govt-awards-n28b-contracts/

Next, lets assess the level of project execution in terms of quality and completion in the last few years. If the FG and states are churning out COMPLETED physical projects, of expected quality, it means the funds are indeed WORKING and not entrying private pockets. If the level is increasing, it implies corruption is reducing but if its decreasing (ie more projects are being abandoned or more projects are being poorly executed) it implies corruption is increasing.

For instance, if N20billion was budgeted to complete the Lagos-kano rail line, and when we SEE the Lagos-kano rail line has been completed, it means the N20billion did its WORK, and did not enter private pocket. Again, If N500million was meant to rehabilitate Enugu-Ph road, and we can SEE the work being done and later completed, it means the N500million did its WORK, and did not go into private pocket.

The massive, good QUALITY, projects being completed by federal and state govts nationwide is the MOST IMPORTANT testimony to REDUCTION in corruption in Nigeria.

On the recurrent side of the state and federal budgets, the menace of ghost workers is being tackled frontally. The federal govt for instance, through reforms in the civil service, have so far flushed out a total of 45,000 ghost workers who earned over N100billion had been uncovered from about 251 ministries, directorates and agencies. This singular reform has saved this country about N100billion (more than the annual budget of some states)
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-830385-1-1.html

Several states have also flushed out thousands of ghost workers in their payroll.

Sadly, on the issue of security votes, not much progress has been made besides isolated media reports(unconfirmed) that governor Rochas Okorocha reduced his security vote by about 70%. The challenge is to pressurise more public officers to give up their bogus security votes.

From all of the above, it is safe and FAIR to conclude that corruption is reducing in Nigeria.

However, this does not mean corruption has been eradicated. There are still several loopholes at particularly the state and local govt level, not exempting the federal govt. Bogus allowances, albeit lawful, should also be drastically reduced.

Therefore, the claim that corruption is increasing in Nigeria is dubious, baseless and fallacious. Corruption can only be increasing in the imagination of some opposition elements and compromised media organisations.

lol...naija will never be good again
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by GalaxyNoteII: 3:45pm On Apr 01, 2013
playmode: [size=20pt]The only way to solve Nigeria's problem is through blooshed. We need to completely erase from the face of this planet all old politicians in this country regardless of party affiliation. They are all dead wood and should be violently eliminated and their head hanged on a pole for the whole world to see.After that Nigeria needs a good dictator who can cleanse the rot in the system and restore order.The current democracy we have is a complete waste of time and a regressive system which will never work in Nigeria as long as political criminals are granted pardon by their friends in power.[/size]

You sure you ain't just blood thirsty? lol
Boy, ain't you in South Africa? Come home, lead the pack.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by olajide8(m): 5:32pm On Apr 01, 2013
Well honestly speaking it hasn't reduced it has spiraled totally out of control its like the normal way of life its now like the air we breathe and water we drink sometimes I ask myself if I am not perpetrating it, the definition is so wide, that whether we believe it or not we are all involved.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by olajide8(m): 6:03pm On Apr 01, 2013
Alamesiygha - how do they spell the name self- and jonathan govt., and see how corruption has turned into a human being
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by DaLover(m): 1:48am On Apr 02, 2013
omenka: The mother of all corruption took place under the watch of the scumbag.

When about 300billion was budgeted for an item and the govt ended up spending over 2trillion on thesame without any suplementary appropriation, what would you say about such a govt??

This govt is the worst there's ever been in terms of fight against corruption. Obj et al performed very poorly but GEJ's goes completely off the charts! That man is inately corrupt! It is either he is stealing or busy pampering known, suspected, and convicted crooks!
Have u taken into account the free flow of fuel in your calculations?
Remember the during Objs time, there was perpetual fuel scarcity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

$4bn Loan: Our Borrowings Good For Nigeria, Says APC / Shutdown Of Terminal Jetty: BUA Replies NPA With Evidence / Nobody Can Disqualify APC Presidential Candidate In 2023, Omo-Agege Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.