Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,689 members, 7,879,022 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:20 AM

The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. (8841 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance - There Are More To Engine Oil Than Sae20w-50 / Ford Maintenance In Nigeria: How Easy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by AutoQuint: 5:37pm On Apr 01, 2013
I recently made a statement at the Lagos Chamber Of Commerce Conference (late last year). I speculated that if you buy a vehicle between October 2010 and December 2012, there is no quality rated engine oil to service them. It was a big shock to everyone that listened to me. And it is the truth at that time.

Maintenance has many challenges in Nigeria, these are:

1. The quality and standard of Materials Used in Nigeria for vehicle maintenance.
2. The quality and genuineness of parts that is sold in Nigeria,
3. The skill to do the job and do it well
4. The quality and process management on routine maintenance in Nigeria and
5. The financial constraint that will permit quality maintenance in Nigeria.

On a bi-weekly release, I will highlight each topic and demand for advices on what we can do to help ourselves if the Government cannot help us. It will also be an eye opener to many forum trackers. First, I want to give insight to only Engine Oil in circulation and I will conclude on Material challenges next two weeks.

I will like to state that engine oil is what kept the vehicle power house moving. It is also certain that an obsolete oil or an under rated oil will kill the engine very fast and reduce performance to wasteful level.

It is actual but unbelievable that 92% of the engine oil that are available in Nigeria are either under rated for the engines or the engine oil are absolutely obsolete and sold at the same rate as imported engine oils.

The question is, why are the big brand oil makers are not producing the oil rate as demanded by the vehicle manufacturers? Why is the umbrella union of these oil producers allowing the production of under rated? Why is Nigeria Standard Organization not raiding the market to get rid of obsolete rated oil? Why do we have just about 8% of the rightly rated oil coming from just 3 outlets?

What should we do to reverse this trend? These people are killing the cars! like I use to analyze, it amounts to you accepting that a medical doctor should administer an expired drug on your child. What can we do?

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Marpol: 8:26pm On Apr 01, 2013
Good one bro! Suscribed.

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 01, 2013
This is one thread I'll be keeping an eye on.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by ziccoit: 10:18pm On Apr 01, 2013
Good one @op, I'm waiting with my pen and paper ready.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Dereformer(m): 9:56am On Apr 02, 2013
Bros, i can't wait to read the continuation.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Guddy(m): 10:53am On Apr 02, 2013
I have alot to learn here. Am subscribing to this thread.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by GraceBestowed(f): 11:57am On Apr 02, 2013
Hmm, interesting! It is one thing buying your spare parts abroad, and another thing getting someone appropriate to fix it. It is also one thing to have your car fixed properly, and another to feed the engine with appropriate oil. Nothing is 100%, it seems, and that is a shame!!!
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by jhydebaba(m): 11:59am On Apr 02, 2013
I don't have a vehicle cry cry
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Watzhup: 12:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
3. The skill to do the job and do it well

There are qualified guys that knows exactly what they are doing. It just that most times, they do shabby jobs to drain the vehicle owner.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by alfredo4u(m): 12:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
bros u 4 use season 4 d title instead of parts so dat it wil get to seasonal lik 24 or jumong

u try guy.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
ONLY OIL I USE CASTROL OR PENNZOIL. THE REST IS GARBAGE. I REMEMBER ONE TIME USING AN ENGINE OIL CALLED MURPHYS. I COULD INSTANTLY FEEL THE REDUCTION IN ENGINE OUTPUT. I ALSO REMEMBER ONE TIME I WAS BEING CHEAP, TOOK MY CAR TO THIS RUSSIAN GUY TO CHANGE MY OIL. THE I-DIOT USED OIL THAT WAS SO THICK THAT I COULD FEEL A DROP IN ENGINE PERFORMANCE. SO ITS BEST TO BUY YOUR OWN OIL AND FILTER AND TAKE IT WITH YOU. THATS HOW YOU DO IT. BUY THE OIL, BUY THE FILTER AND TAKE IT TO THE GUY TO USE. DONT LET THEM USE THE CRAP THEY HAVE
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by NAIRA25(m): 12:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
Interesting!
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by yuzedo: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
Not finding it funny at all.
Can anybody talk to me about the pros and cons of owning (and maintaining) a powerbike? Thinking of getting a Kawasaki early 2014.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by chatterly: 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
Absolutely agree with his post,my 07 camry engine just gave up last week here in Lagos(long story),i service my car @ a reputable toyota workshop every 5000 miles but was told the issue had to do with unrated engine oil.I have now bought a replacement engine ,the mechanics opened up the top of the old engine and it was all clogged up with dark oil.I have been advised to use only Mobil one going forward and reduce service intervals to 3000 miles.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by JamesAbudu: 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
obadiah777: ONLY OIL I USE CASTROL OR PENNZOIL. THE REST IS GARBAGE. I REMEMBER ONE TIME USING AN ENGINE OIL CALLED MURPHYS. I COULD INSTANTLY FEEL THE REDUCTION IN ENGINE OUTPUT. I ALSO REMEMBER ONE TIME I WAS BEING CHEAP, TOOK MY CAR TO THIS RUSSIAN GUY TO CHANGE MY OIL. THE I-DIOT USED OIL THAT WAS SO THICK THAT I COULD FEEL A DROP IN ENGINE PERFORMANCE. SO ITS BEST TO BUY YOUR OWN OIL AND FILTER AND TAKE IT WITH YOU. THATS HOW YOU DO IT. BUY THE OIL, BUY THE FILTER AND TAKE IT TO THE GUY TO USE. DONT LET THEM USE THE CRAP THEY HAVE

Seconded

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Emperoh(m): 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2013
Subscribing asap!!!
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by miqos02(m): 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
@op, am subscribing
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 02, 2013
Make we kukuma begin service motor with palm oil

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Morgan1092(m): 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Make we kukuma begin service motor with palm oil
Do u even own a Bicycle?
@topic: subscribing
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by dayorx(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nice topic , i'm so interested....
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 02, 2013
nice thread, am subscribing..
however, i still have this question in my head, why is nairaland auto section filled with toyota this and toyota that? hardly can one find a good flashy american/european cheap car to buy. almost every car in that section is tokunbo/neatly used toyota ??
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Landflight4eva(m): 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2013
chatterly: Absolutely agree with his post,my 07 camry engine just gave up last week here in Lagos(long story),i service my car @ a reputable toyota workshop every 5000 miles but was told the issue had to do with unrated engine oil.I have now bought a replacement engine ,the mechanics opened up the top of the old engine and it was all clogged up with dark oil.I have been advised to use only Mobil one going forward and reduce service intervals to 3000 miles.
the service Interval should 5000km or 3000km and not in mileage rating because miles is higher than kilometer.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
obadiah777: ONLY OIL I USE CASTROL OR PENNZOIL. THE REST IS GARBAGE. I REMEMBER ONE TIME USING AN ENGINE OIL CALLED MURPHYS. I COULD INSTANTLY FEEL THE REDUCTION IN ENGINE OUTPUT. I ALSO REMEMBER ONE TIME I WAS BEING CHEAP, TOOK MY CAR TO THIS RUSSIAN GUY TO CHANGE MY OIL. THE I-DIOT USED OIL THAT WAS SO THICK THAT I COULD FEEL A DROP IN ENGINE PERFORMANCE. SO ITS BEST TO BUY YOUR OWN OIL AND FILTER AND TAKE IT WITH YOU. THATS HOW YOU DO IT. BUY THE OIL, BUY THE FILTER AND TAKE IT TO THE GUY TO USE. DONT LET THEM USE THE CRAP THEY HAVE
cant u change your own oil?thats what i do.heck,i fix most stuff on my camry
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
991: nice thread, am subscribing..
however, i still have this question in my head, why is nairaland auto section filled with toyota this and toyota that? hardly can one find a good flashy american/european cheap car to buy. almost every car in that section is tokunbo/neatly used toyota ??
believe me,even on good oads,toyota beats most of these cars apart from just a few
if u want any of the dodge cars,go for a charger and nothing more but if u want a car to nlast u for ever,get yourself a toyota
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
milehigh06:
I DONT LIKE GETTING DIRTY. I AM AN AJEBUTTER
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by igbsam(m): 1:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
My Mechanic used an Engine called "SEAHORSE" to service my 2003 Honda Accord in my absence. Which eventually damaged the engine. Now I have to change the engine completely. I make use of Mobil XHP for servicing and the idiot when to use another oil.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
There is nothing to learn here, the OP has already started throwing figures around as if he actually knows the number of automobiles in Nigeria. Always saying the quality of oil in Nigeria as if he has been to 36 states+AbJ. Gosh!

There is one advise for vehicle owners: Take your vehicles to only the brand service centers, it doesnt really cost much. Fullstop!
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by Armaniswiz(m): 1:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
@OP thanks for the post..wld be nice if you can mention some of the products that falls in d 8% rightly rated oil category and the 3 outlets where one can get em. My car is due for oil change n I currently use mobile 1 but i doubt it's d best oil around. Thanks
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by iichidodo: 1:41pm On Apr 02, 2013
Am in LOve with my AutomObile, i just looove japanes vehicles, easy to drive, easy to maintain and a moving BOOM-BOX. Though its acceleration is wack.
Re: The Challenges Of Vehicle Maintenance In Nigeria - Part One. by ophilly: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
I'm sure you're joking..to do it, you have to crawl under the car, you need the right tools and you'll be smeared with oil, grime, and grease...why would I take that trouble...to save myself N500? Or will that improve the quality of oil I use? My advice is that given a situation you have no trust in brands of motor oil on sale, if you have a prized car, consider using synthetic oil, It is less than 10k a gallon(4 ltrs)
milehigh06:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Brake Fail? / Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Doctors:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.