Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,893 members, 7,915,610 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 07:51 AM

The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks (1284 Views)

Geeks & Nerds Thread! / Jokes For Geeks / --theory: Geeks, Computer Hobbyists And Programmers Hardly Gets The Girl Quick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by javadoctor(m): 9:08pm On Apr 01, 2013
Many of us must of heard about hw the name Java stuck to the framework. This happened apparently in an indian coffee shop named "Java" (a meeting place for geeks)where james Gosling 'the founder' and other co-geeks/resource people met to share ideas. Well,there's something about the indian shop,they have a very special coffee bean till this time which you can't buy else where. What the Java Coffee icon means to me is simply the framework is for geeks. What's my definition of a geek? A geek is someone who because of solving peoples problem has a declined social life,gained weight probably from eating @ a spot,drinks coffee regularly to overcome sleep to get a job done.has a fat account,doesn't care about looks,fails with women,needs a mobile toilet because of diarrhea,etc. A real geek can afford to be @the premieres,but sees it as a waste of time. A real geek wears a pair of glasses due to impaired vision from over programming (my experience). If you are experiencing any of these,u re fast becoming a geek,i would advice you to slow down,see a movie,and continue in 5hours time. I practically had a chance to be @ozone cinemas 2day,I drove off because I thot it wuz boring,this wasn't me 3years ago.I just thought the java coffee has something to do with keeping you awake ..

1 Like

Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 9:31pm On Apr 01, 2013
Insightful.... Please dude, help me with my signature post! Thanks!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 9:48pm On Apr 01, 2013
Nerds dude not geeks.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 10:00pm On Apr 01, 2013
lordZOUGA: Nerds dude not geeks.
no be the same thing? They are synonymous nao!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 10:15pm On Apr 01, 2013
big-t:
no be the same thing? They are synonymous nao!
No, they are not. here are their definitions.
geeks: plural of geek (Noun)
Noun
1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".

nerds plural of nerd (Noun)
Noun

1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.
you can probably see why one will prefer to be referred to as a nerd instead of geek.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 10:36pm On Apr 01, 2013
lordZOUGA:
No, they are not. here are their definitions.
geeks: plural of geek (Noun)
Noun
1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".

nerds plural of nerd (Noun)
Noun

1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.
you can probably see why one will prefer to be referred to as a nerd instead of geek.
you are on point, but i still stand on the fact that they are synonymous! The evidences to that effect are there in your definitions? 1.. ' Eccentric devotion to a particular interest' and 2.. 'who lacks social skills and is boringly studious' remember the last assertion is also synonymous to your first definition. They are interwoven and synonymous. Thats what you call pun in english!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 10:47pm On Apr 01, 2013
big-t:
you are on point, but i still stand on the fact that they are synonymous! The evidences to that effect are there in your definitions? 1.. ' Eccentric devotion to a particular interest' and 2.. 'who lacks social skills and is boringly studious' remember the last assertion is also synonymous to your first definition. They are interwoven and synonymous. Thats what you call pun in english!
the definition of geek does not in any way say that geeks are intelligent or smart
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by ciphoenix: 12:39am On Apr 02, 2013
Exactly. Not the same
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 12:53am On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA:
the definition of geek does not in any way say that geeks are intelligent or smart
going by your definition once again, ''2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".''find the conotative meaning for the word 'eccentric devotion'
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 7:40am On Apr 02, 2013
big-t:

going by your definition once again, ''2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".''find the conotative meaning for the word 'eccentric devotion'
it can only mean "intense interest", it still does not mean smart.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 7:57am On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA:
aint they smart when it comes to the area they have the 'intense interest'?
Geeks and nerds are stereotyped people who lack social skills, and are also unfashionable!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 7:57am On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA:
Geeks and nerds are stereotyped people who lack social skills, and are also unfashionable! cool
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 8:16am On Apr 02, 2013
big-t:

Geeks and nerds are stereotyped people who lack social skills, and are also unfashionable! cool
I do not agree. a stupid person might have "intense interest" in the latest ways of being stupid.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 8:43am On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA:
I do not agree. a stupid person might have "intense interest" in the latest ways of being stupid.
that means geeks are stupidly interested! :::::::::paradoxical::::::::
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by ciphoenix: 9:50am On Apr 02, 2013
a geek has intense interest but
not necessarily intelligent
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by javadoctor(m): 12:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
I noticed some argument on my thread,just for clarity.

Geek
One of four titles used to classify someone based on their technical and social skills. The other three titles are nerd, dork, and normie. The difference between the four titles can be easily shown in table form:

................ Technical ...... Social
Title ............ Skills ......... Skills
---------- ---------------- ------------
Normie ......... No ............. Yes
Geek ........... Yes ............. Yes
Nerd ............ Yes ............. No
Dork ............ No .............. No

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 12:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
@javadoctor, in your explanation, you interchanged the meaning of "geek" and "nerd" So, your explanation is not alright. I gave the definition from a dictionary above. you can choose to accept it.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA: @javadoctor, in your explanation, you interchanged the meaning of "geek" and "nerd" So, your explanation is not alright. I gave the definition from a dictionary above. you can choose to accept it.
u love to argue!!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
big-t:
u love to argue!!
you do not have enough data to make an assumption like this
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 10:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
lordZOUGA:
you do not have enough data to make an assumption like this
i have more than enough dude!
Checkd 2ru ur post nd got 2 know u r a geek too! No wonder!
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 10:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
big-t:

i have more than enough dude!
Checkd 2ru ur post nd got 2 know u r a geek too! No wonder!
No, I am not. I would prefer being referred to as a nerd. wink
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 2:20am On Apr 03, 2013
lordZOUGA:
No, I am not. I would prefer being referred to as a nerd. wink
but u lack the 'social' part now! You keep circumveenting around computers and programming since 2011!! Check this:
''Time registered: July 24, 2011
Time spent online: 28 days & 21 hours''
u spent that time on nairaland and u limited urself to programming? Like.....seriously?
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by lordZOUGA(m): 7:34am On Apr 03, 2013
big-t:
but u lack the 'social' part now! You keep circumveenting around computers and programming since 2011!! Check this:
''Time registered: July 24, 2011
Time spent online: 28 days & 21 hours''
u spent that time on nairaland and u limited urself to programming? Like.....seriously?
The only thing that attracted me to nairaland is the programming section. Besides, nairaland has very little social networking features.
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by bigt2(m): 7:48am On Apr 03, 2013
lordZOUGA:
The only thing that attracted me to nairaland is the programming section. Besides, nairaland has very little social networking features.
what about other sections like romance, sports, sexuality.....etc aint those social enough? wink
Re: The Java Coffee Icon Means Its For Geeks by ciphoenix: 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
the romance section is crap

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Some Help In Java / Young Nigerians Unveil Swapnaija App / MAC Photo Recovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.