Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,154 members, 7,977,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 05:32 AM

FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others (40328 Views)

FG Scraps Fuel Subsidy, To Reduce Cost Of Petrol From January 1 - / Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / FG Scraps UTME,NECO,NAPEP Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by colombiana: 10:10am On Apr 03, 2013
bibinwaka: unemployment on d increase.sad
Oga abeg rest for the mata, wetin sef person go write waec, neco, jamb, and post ume all to enter one scrap fg university wen na only to bribe ur way tru. For an average student the chances of him passing the 3 exams is slim xcept through runs tinz thereby coruptin the future leaders. Abeg make dem dey jobless jare its for the greater good cuz at the end dem no go still wan retire make young ple get job e bi like say u want make by 2020 kidnapin, robbery, prostitution, and fraudsters be regular job. Abeg make dem go farm if dem loose dem job
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 03, 2013
A recent survey done by me, indicates that most of the illiterates on Nairaland are products of NECO. When WAEC was the only examination council, great graduates with lexical prowess were offspring of the laudable WAEC. With NECO came 'sorting' and over-bloated admission statistics!

These days, everyone wants to 'pass through' university, and needless to say, the university will pass through them. In the end, these half-educated nematodes flood Nairaland, blaming GEJ for joblessness, joblessness not because there are no jobs, but because they are not qualified for such jobs. These days, Banks are forced to hire 'English & Literary Studies' graduates to work as accountants, because no one was patient enough to re-write WAEC, cos a cheaper alternative called NECO is round. GEJ has come to set things right. He, indeed is our ONLY political Messiah! Glory to Nigeria!!, Glory to GEJ!!!.....[size=15pt]FRESH AIR!!!![/size]

4 Likes

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by hardbody: 10:14am On Apr 03, 2013
[quote author=butta][/quote]

Bros e be like say na NECO certificate you dey use.

I never subscribed to that NECO stuff, i held the view that NECO is to WAEC what ANAN is to ICAN. Talk about an easy way out of a difficult examination series. My fears were confirmed when i realized that people who were hitherto banging WAEC/GCE were coming out with aggregate 6 on 6 papers from NECO.

Anyway, whatever government wants to do on this is their wahala. i am long past this stage and all that are of me will get their certificates offshore, so its neither here nor there.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by kennethik: 10:16am On Apr 03, 2013
Well am not saying that is not a welcome development,but is going to be a breeding ground for corruption it would be difficult for poor Nigerians seeking for admission into our institutions to gain admission,is a right step in a right direction because this government agencies are too much to contend with I wish the FG. Well.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by anaying419: 10:17am On Apr 03, 2013
Is long over due
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by mayorjo4u: 10:19am On Apr 03, 2013
MY FG. AND FELLOW NIGERIANS. HEAR THIS NOW.

Scraping of NECO n NAPEP can't resolve this issue..

THE REAL PROBLEM IS CORRUPTION, MALPRACTICES n INGENUINETY IN THE RESULT..

THIS IS WHAT YOUR TARGET SHD BE.. HOW YOU CAN ELIMINATE MALPRACTICES IN THE EXAM.

CANCELING JAMB, NECO, NAPEP WILL CREATE MORE PROBLEM IN THE ECONOMY... IS LIKE CUTTING DOWN A TREE THAT IS ALREADY YIELDING FRUIT IN THE FIELD AND PLANTING A NEW ONE AFRESH, WHEN WILL THAT BENEFITS PEOPLE.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by chaplinez: 10:19am On Apr 03, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: I think scrapping Jamb is a good move. That way, your choice of Universities is not limited. You can apply to as many universities as you want, significantly increasing your chances of admission.

On the flip side, putting admissions in the hands of the schools could prove counterproductive where the university system is corrupt. However, i can't imagine all the universities would have corrupt systems so you can apply to other schools

Let's just see how this pans out...
The number of schools u can choose wil still be limited.its just like UCAS in the UK
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 03, 2013
maclatunji:

This is a serious problem. I thought NECO was established by an Act of the National Assembly. I believe the FG lacks powers to actually scrap it. I expect a court case over this issue.
since it was recommended by a committee set up by FG to look into the factors responsible for poor education and academic performance in the country and to profer solutions to the problems,the National Assembly as a body has no other choice than to abolish the Act and allow the new system to take effect.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by snakova(m): 10:19am On Apr 03, 2013
Scrapping neco is ok cos it breeds mediocrity but utme is the only thing dat maintains standard. instead of them to make the system work they r copying oyibo. do u tink oyibo got there overnight? where they r supposed to copy oyibo like building us 180km/hr trains,they give us 1950's gongonis. make the educational system work,then u can proceed to improve the system. wen pple cant get admission even wit their good scores cos of post-UTME corruption,imagine how it wud be now dat the UNI has full powers

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Eneze1(f): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2013
there's is a big flaw in this policy, what will happen to Neco staffs, probably they will be ask to go home, y not restructure the whole educational system, this new policy is a way of improving corruption in the schools, increase in unemployment rate and a host of other things, in this period when the country is battling with security issues, people should not be laid off from their place of work. what happens to the poor, that means they have to pay through their nose before they can admission into higher institution which definitely will be for the highest bidder, misplaced priority. smh
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Sike(m): 10:21am On Apr 03, 2013
CAN'T WAIT!!!
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Bolaji21(m): 10:22am On Apr 03, 2013
So in conclusion, no UTME next year?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by chocochoco: 10:24am On Apr 03, 2013
I pray it works.... Totally in support.. GBAM
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by iwanchop(m): 10:26am On Apr 03, 2013
With this step,I hope the children of the poor would be able to put in for schools like OAU,UNILAG,UI etc.These schools would surely jack up the prices of their entrance examination forms to like N100k while schools like EKSU,ANSU,IMSU etc would sell theirs for btw N10k and N40 and some schools would distribute their forms for free .
I think JAMB should serve as regulatory body to regulate amongst other things d cost of entrance exams forms in each of these schools.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Alexmania: 10:27am On Apr 03, 2013
9ja wit their policy
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Symphony007: 10:28am On Apr 03, 2013
Bigcake: Nigeria always one step forward two steps backward. Why not cut down d take home package of our politicians, e.g. Senators, Reps, Governors. Etc. Do dat first then we will believe u really want to cut cost.
my dear, salaries, benefits and allowances are sacred cows when it comes to cutting spending in the government. The national assembly will not entertain any discussion to cuts in their benefits especially now that they're even advocating an increase. They will bring down the axe on anyone who proposes anything on their benefits just as they tried with sanusi.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by eldoradoxx: 10:35am On Apr 03, 2013
snakova: Scrapping neco is ok cos it breeds mediocrity but utme is the only thing dat maintains standard. instead of them to make the system work they r copying oyibo. do u tink oyibo got there overnight? where they r supposed to copy oyibo like building us 180km/hr trains,they give us 1950's gongonis. make the educational system work,then u can proceed to improve the system. wen pple cant get admission even wit their good scores cos of post-UTME corruption,imagine how it wud be now dat the UNI has full powers
Are you saying that the Universities are not better placed to set a high quality and standard exams for prospective students wishing to join the school ? Like I wrote earlier, when Prof Chinedu Nebo initiated post ume exam then in UNN which later spread like wildfire little did he know he was about exposing the ills in JAMB UME. I was in university before the post ume was introduced. What I observed from my class had been said earlier. Classmates whom UME awarded huge marks to make them get admission easily (First List or Merit List) were same people who couldn't cope with academic works. In my class alone between 100 to 500 level more than 100 of them were withdrawn from the faculty. When post ume came, people with Jamb score of 300 and above mere scoring lower than people with 200 and below! Why? Your guess is as good as mine. There are many rural communities in Nigeria that both Waec and Jamb exams don't really take place. From the supervisors to invigilators, everybody is compromised. It is pay as. Want to cheat. So scrapping of Jamb is long over due.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by UnimkeAk(m): 10:37am On Apr 03, 2013
[size=15pt]So what's going to be the fate of university graduates with NECO results??[/size]
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Policewoman(f): 10:42am On Apr 03, 2013
KenGali: In addition to scrapping JAMB. WAEC should be encouraged to conduct an aptitude test for admission, which schools can decide to accept or reject based on the standards maintained by WAEC. There should be no law behind it, just like SAT in US. Some schools and applicant will definitely find it difficult conducting and sitting for exams for each school. It is also wasteful for each school to be conducting its own test.

Such schools and applicants will likely accept scores from bi-monthly aptitude tests from WAEC conducted at Special specific designated and computerised centres.

In as much as univ. keep getting blanket Govt. funding, and are not answerable to students choices, this move will be incomplete, as their is no check on the schools.

Kudos GEJ.
Next step. Stop funding Universities directly. Let them be funded by student fees, Rather use their quarterly subventions as research grants with specific achievement targets, and secondly to guarantee student loans from commercial banks in a Federal system as found in US. Thirdly, ensure NUC controls the enrolment capacity of schools based on their available infrastructure.

We should also consider ways of de-emphasizing Bachelors. Most of what people do in work places required a 2 years certificate not four years. Why spend and train for capacity you will not utilize. Imagine an engineer 5 years as a cashier,. A Chemist or Biologist chasing people for account. All they needed is a diploma in marketing not the study of of quantum physics and Mitosis. Lets use our resources judiciously. Train fewer Bachelors, but train them very well to be creative.
Those. Engineers, Chemists, Physicists, Pharmacists, and even Doctors you see joining banks do that because there is general unemployment. One doesn't go to school to study engineering with the sole dream of ending up in a bank or chasing people for accounts.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by searay(m): 10:43am On Apr 03, 2013
When wil EFCC be scrap?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by chic2007: 10:44am On Apr 03, 2013
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. NECO should have been scrapped ages ago. I also support the need for Universities to conduct their own admission exams. They need to be self funded to run properly. Most Universities these days are terribly run down. It is such a shame.

In my days in Uniben between 1984 - 1988, my law lecturers at that time included people like Chris Ikhariale, Mrs Yinka Omorogbe, Prof Itse Sagay, Prof Ameze Guobadia amongst others. These were well trained lecturers who gave us a sound education. When I compare graduates from my set with the present day graduates, I weep. Most modern day graduates cannot string together three correct sentences in proper English. Our facilities at that time (hostels, libraries, Cafeterias) were also in good shape.

On the contrary, what we have today in most Federal and State Universities is terrible - from the quality of the teaching staff to available or more appropriately, unavailable, facilities. My biggest prayer everyday is that we vote in competent leaders who will address the falling standard of education and work on this. We have too many educated "illiterates". This is a fact because I conduct interviews regularly. Out of every 100 "graduates" we interview, only one or two people are employable. It is such a shame. I do not really reckon with private Universities because I see them as "glorified Secondary Schools" - my opinion.

Universities definitely need to be self funded to maintain standards, attract highly qualified lecturers, carry out research etc. This is why I support the need for them to conduct their own entrance exams.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by zolajpower: 10:45am On Apr 03, 2013
This is 1 step backward frm d standard of education.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by phemybof(m): 10:50am On Apr 03, 2013
Obinnau: Am in total support of this motion.
haaaaaaa, am not in support o. D bread winner of my family is one of top officers at PUBLIC COMPLAIN COMMISSION. I pray may gods not let it work
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by thelastPope(m): 10:52am On Apr 03, 2013
Many of the posts on this thread is all the proof you need to know that this policy is a great one. The ignorant posts on this thread is a reflection of the poor educational system in Nigeria.

It is also great to see that the committees being setup are begining to yield great results. Many people came on here and mad mockery of these committees. They advocated GEJ should have been like certain despots who made decisions without thinking or planning. GEJ is doing a very professional job. The way he has handled the power process, the agric revolution process, the roads, the rails, airports and now the education is a very professional. You cannot fix a 50 old rot with fire brigade-like decisions.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by ayodeji752: 10:53am On Apr 03, 2013
maxwello.yg:

the tough exams are meant for the poor students, the rich ones will sclae through with money. forget oau,ui things, no b 9ja we dey?
nigerians' mentality
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Bontee: 10:57am On Apr 03, 2013
KenGali: In addition to scrapping JAMB. WAEC should be encouraged to conduct an aptitude test for admission, which schools can decide to accept or reject based on the standards maintained by WAEC. There should be no law behind it, just like SAT in US. Some schools and applicant will definitely find it difficult conducting and sitting for exams for each school. It is also wasteful for each school to be conducting its own test.

Such schools and applicants will likely accept scores from bi-monthly aptitude tests from WAEC conducted at Special specific designated and computerised centres.

In as much as univ. keep getting blanket Govt. funding, and are not answerable to students choices, this move will be incomplete, as their is no check on the schools.

Credibility to me is the main issue at the end of the day because your secondary school transcript and WAEC result should be enough for you to gain admission. The aptitude test like SAT needs to be credible and secure before schools can use it. I will not be surprised if it goes the same way as JAMB that started on a bright note before it became so bad for the schools to ask for Post UTME exams.

Kudos GEJ.
Next step. Stop funding Universities directly. Let them be funded by student fees, Rather use their quarterly subventions as research grants with specific achievement targets, and secondly to guarantee student loans from commercial banks in a Federal system as found in US. Thirdly, ensure NUC controls the enrolment capacity of schools based on their available infrastructure.

Good ideas (except the student loan ) but without the fundamentals in place or efficient management then the suggestion to guaranty student loans might be dead on arrival. We might just be breeding ghost student throughout the country and without an identification system then it is not possible in my opinion.

We should also consider ways of de-emphasizing Bachelors. Most of what people do in work places required a 2 years certificate not four years. Why spend and train for capacity you will not utilize. Imagine an engineer 5 years as a cashier,. A Chemist or Biologist chasing people for account. All they needed is a diploma in marketing not the study of of quantum physics and Mitosis. Lets use our resources judiciously. Train fewer Bachelors, but train them very well to be creative.

There should be relevant agencies that should have taken care of this and we don't really need the government to push for this. Dangote asked for graduates to become truck drivers when WAEC certificate should be enough in addition to your driving license or training.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by ayodeji752: 10:58am On Apr 03, 2013
maclatunji:

You mean admissions will now go to the highest bidders with the VC and Admissions Officer forming a cozy racket.
tel ur younga ones to come to ui wit their millions of naira to buy ui admissn or even go tru d vc.u hav no idea of wot some nigeria universities are all about
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Adufaye(m): 11:02am On Apr 03, 2013
me neva stil undastnd dis big big
grammar,u na mean say e go b
lyk d way north america uni b?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 03, 2013
Is a welcome development, but there should be agency that put a real fight to waec to ensure total commitment in their functions, if not waec will monopolize everything , as such neco should be allowed to remain as alternative means btw which one is NAPEP!! undecided
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Praisegirl(f): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2013
they shud giv me my certificate first o,i nor fit shout.there is no way am going 2 write any exam again.nt after five whole years.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by possibilita(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2013
Good development,this will also enable students to choose their choices of career
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Jesuspikin87(m): 11:07am On Apr 03, 2013
bibinwaka: unemployment on d increase.sad

Did you not read the write-up

"But it was resolved that the West African Examination Council would absorb NECO’s members of staff and its facilities"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Happy 21st Birthday Zahra Buhari - The Girl With The Big Heart / 2023: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meeting With Tinubu (Photos) / The Sad Story Of Marilyn Ogar- The Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.