Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,310 members, 7,887,912 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:19 PM

This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. (94557 Views)

Captured On Our Streets By A Foreign Lens, Images that shamed Britain !!!! / Britain Gives The Go Ahead To Murder Ghaddafi / Should Great Britain Hand Back The Falklands Over To Argentina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (157) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

Why do u say that? The Americans that don't do critical thinking are those who never went to college/ only get their news from CNN, MSNBC, New York Times etc. grin

Most Americans are pretty much indoctrinated with the same crap... even the professionals... A quick comparative analysis between comments on American blogs by US educated middle class folks and British middle class folks on British blogs, is all you need...

We may compare GuardianUK CIF vs. Huffington Post US... wink
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Do they work as lawyers on behalf of tesco or work as cashiers? Why would a lawyer who attended college work at tesco? Why not open their own law firm?

They work as cashiers undecided grin
It could be they don't have enough funds to set up a law firm.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:34am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Do they work as lawyers on behalf of tesco or work as cashiers? Why would a lawyer who attended college work at tesco? Why not open their own law firm?
I'm talking about stacking shelfs lol......this only applies to the people I met in tesco though tongue
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:35am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Most Americans are pretty much indoctrinated with the same crap... even the professionals... A quick comparative analysis between comments on American blogs by US educated middle class folks and British middle class folks on British blogs, is all you need...

We may compare GuardianUK CIF vs. Huffington Post US... wink

I read the UK Guardian, and I have to say it is miles ahead of the Huffington Post. Glen Greenwald is my favourite columnist.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:35am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

They work as cashiers undecided grin
It could be they don't have enough funds to set up a law firm.

Haba! God forbid bad thing, bro.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
[b]I'm talking about stacking shelfs [/b]lol......this only applies to the people I met in tesco though tongue

@ the bolded - FML!!! grin

Times are hard!!! sad
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

I read the UK Guardian, and I have to say it is miles ahead of the Huffington Post. Glen Greenwald is my favourite columnist.
Dun'kno tongue
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

wink wink wink
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

@ the bolded - FML!!! grin

Times are hard!!! sad

Hahaha very hard grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:39am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
Hahaha very hard grin

It's not even funny... sad

That's why I'm trying to start my own business and start scheming for opportunities in 3rd world countries...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:39am On Apr 04, 2013
Also, the federal minimum wage here in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. No State or City is allowed to set a minimum wage below that of the federal. President Obama and Congressional Democrats want to increase the fed minimum wage to $9/hr.
The Australian minimum wage is the equivalent of US$15. shocked
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Katsumoto: 12:39am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
I'm talking about stacking shelfs lol......this only applies to the people I met in tesco though tongue

The Law industry in the UK is very closed. If you are not in, then you either become an immigration lawyer or stack shelves (too extreme though).
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:40am On Apr 04, 2013
Katsumoto:

The Law industry in the UK is very closed. If you are not in, then you either become an immigration lawyer or stack shelves (too extreme though).
Yet thousands of students still study law undecided
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:40am On Apr 04, 2013
Katsumoto:

By 'closed' do u mean that the Law industry is only open to a certain class of individuals?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 04, 2013
I have a cousin who studied Chemical Engineering at Swansea Univerisity, Wales. He is a British Citizen, but he is now in Lagos for the past three years and still unable to secure a job so far. I asked him why he didn't look for job in UK before coming to Nigeria to do NYSC, and he said U.K is a fu.cke.d up country. He said Nigeria is a lot better than U.K if you have a good job.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

That's why I'm trying to start my own business and start scheming for opportunities in 3rd world countries...
You stole my idea
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Katsumoto: 12:42am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

By 'closed' do u mean that the Law industry is only open to a certain class of individuals?

Correct

Its usually by surname or you have to graduate top in your class.

It's easier to be a solicitor; the barrister network is mostly closed. You have to belong to an inn as a barrister and those folks are very snobby, even to clients.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:42am On Apr 04, 2013
Katsumoto:

So, why are people still going to uni for overrated degrees that won't get them a job, anyway?? It's pretty much better to get an apprentice job after college and work your way up than waste time in uni...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 04, 2013
Katsumoto:

Correct

Its usually by surname or you have to graduate top in your class.

Na wa o. That's why many people flock to American schools. With the exception of the top schools, no one really cares about your last name as yardstick to disqualify you. The affirmative action policy encourages schools to admit as many qualified non-Caucasians as possible.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by bebe2(f): 12:45am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Haba! God forbid bad thing, bro.

U Neva see, only in uk I don see pple with masters dey do security work
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 04, 2013
----
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

That is why I have been trying to start businesses in Nigeria. But I got my fingers burned already doing business in Nigeria with relatives in driver seat. Invested 3.5 million in entertainment business last year and lost 1.7 from it. I am currently looking forward to another venture in Nigeria. I know if I finally get it right in Nigeria, na gold mime be that.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 04, 2013
bebe2:

U Neva see, only in uk I don see pple with masters dey do security work
THIS IS TRUE. The degrees that they study have no jobs or the degrees that they study are useless.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by bebe2(f): 12:47am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan: Also, the federal minimum wage here in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. No State or City is allowed to set a minimum wage below that of the federal. President Obama and Congressional Democrats want to increase the fed minimum wage to $9/hr.
The Australian minimum wage is the equivalent of US$15. shocked

Now we're talking, pls get me to Australia cheesy
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 04, 2013
Katsumoto:

Correct

[b]Its usually by surname [/b]or you have to graduate top in your class.

It's easier to be a solicitor; the barrister network is mostly closed. You have to belong to an inn as a barrister and those folks are very snobby, even to clients.

The bolded is true for all sectors... Heck, that's why some people are changing their surnames...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao... That has been my plan right from my final year in uni... I've been saving for that for a long time and I'm about to register my company... and get my web-based business popping in the next few months... wink

Then, the next step would be to visit a few countries in Africa and get acquainted with how things work over there... I have started networking as well... I'm also planning to a web-based media thing with my boy - you can shout me if you want to be on the show... We should start that by summer time..

Let's talk, bro. What kind of biz?

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Katsumoto: 12:49am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

So, why are people still going to uni for overrated degrees that won't get them a job, anyway?? It's pretty much better to get an apprentice job after college and work your way up than waste time in uni...

Getting a law degree is still ok. Society may sympathise with you.

Unlike those studying those funny media courses because they are easy.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

That is why I have been trying to start businesses in Nigeria. But I got my fingers burned already doing business in Nigeria with relatives in driver seat. Invested 3.5 million in entertainment business last year and lost 1.7 from it. I am currently looking forward to another venture in Nigeria. I know if I finally get it right in Nigeria, na gold mime be that.

Why didn't you start with a web-based business?? I think that's pretty much the best thing to do, if you know you won't be there to monitor the business...
shymexx:

Lmao... That has been my plan right from my final year in uni... I've been saving for that for a long time and I'm about to register my company... and get my web-based business popping in the next few months... wink

Then, the next step would be to visit a few countries in Africa and get acquainted with how things work over there... I have started networking as well... I'm also planning to a web-based media thing with my boy - you can shout me if you want to be on the show... We should start that by summer time..
Sounds very interesting. Good luck with that.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Katsumoto: 12:51am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

The bolded is true for all sectors... Heck, that's why some people are changing their surnames...

Not true

Indians dominate the medical field.

Nigerians are doing well in Accounting, IT and social care.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Let's talk, bro. What kind of biz?

Computer networking and security solutions... and the other one would be about media(with the primary focus on fast-growing afrobeats)
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

Why didn't you start with a web-based business?? I think that's pretty much the best thing to do, if you know you won't be there to monitor the business...

I prefer trade in goods and services. Constant cash flowing business. Someone just told me about rechard card in large scale but not convince yet.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (157) (Reply)

This Picture Will Change Your View About Obama / Joe Biden Falls On Stage At U.S Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony (Video) / Man Ejaculates On Woman's Leg While Standing Behind Her On Queue In Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.