Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,957 members, 7,949,271 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 02:11 AM

Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty (2864 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / Boko Haram: Amnesty And The Quran / Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by fkaz(m): 5:33am On Apr 05, 2013
Military Chiefs Outraged Over Jonathan’s Plan To Grant Boko Haram Amnesty

A new plan by President Goodluck Jonathan to grant amnesty to members of the violent Boko Haram sect has upset Nigeria’s military chiefs.

Sources at the Presidential Villa, where the military brass met with the President for several hours today, said they tried in vain to convince Mr. Jonathan not to fall into the trap that has been set for him by prominent northern leaders on the issue.

They were said to have told him the security implications of the action and that it could also be interpreted to mean that the President is not a man of his word. Mr. Jonathan has flip-flopped on federal policy against Boko Haram since he took office in 2010.

The military bosses reminded him of his words when he visited Borno State a few weeks ago when he said that there was no way he would grant amnesty to ghosts, stressing that nothing has changed. Mr. Jonathan once said there were members of Boko Haram in his government, but it is not clear if they are still ghosts or he has identified them.

He was also said to have been reminded that many of their men and other security officers have been indiscriminately killed, warning him that telling the rank and file the decision on amnesty could ignite anger in the barracks.

At the end of the lengthy discussion, which lasted for five hours, the President had his way against the genuine advice of the military chiefs, except one. He set up a committee to handle the issue of amnesty.

The committee, whose members are yet to be announced, is to work with the office of the National Security Adviser.

A Presidential source said that the committee will consider the feasibility or otherwise of granting pardon to the Boko Haram members and collate the views of those clamouring for amnesty, as well as recommend modalities for the granting of pardon should such a policy be adopted.

President Jonathan seems to have adopted the argument of the northern elements after meeting with some of their prominent members in Abuja on Wednesday night. Although today he seem highly disposed to the amnesty idea, he is known to change his mind fairly easily.
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/military-chiefs-outraged-over-jonathan%E2%80%99s-plan-grant-boko-haram-amnesty
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Omexonomy: 5:51am On Apr 05, 2013
I pity the president he is about to fall into the trap of his enemy i.e the northan BH and tinubu thier symperterzer. I know they will not com out for the amnesty. Later they will tell gej to pay compesation to ghost up to the tune of fifty million naira each.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by BabaEleko(m): 6:06am On Apr 05, 2013
I wonder if our president have an actual brain of his own. He might be the first man to live on earth without an actual brain. Scientist should get to work.

5 Likes

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Omen100(m): 6:10am On Apr 05, 2013
Okay.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by fkaz(m): 6:14am On Apr 05, 2013
Definitely the military(JTF) can not solve the issue of boko-haram attack, despite the huge security vote from our budget. I believe there is a synergy between some security men and boko-haram, just to continue draining govt account.
But jona need to be careful on the kind of amnesty is going to grant them.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by outrage: 7:03am On Apr 05, 2013
Arghhh!!! This is the original thread.

outrage: They were given more than enough time and they couldn't end it, he's looking into other means to end it they are yarning dust..
We are so greedy, they just don't want that their very fat budget allocated for defence to reduce.

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by vanstanzy(m): 7:05am On Apr 05, 2013
Well deserved outrage.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nuclearboy(m): 7:13am On Apr 05, 2013
This is a brilliant move if well executed and it may convince that GEJ does actually have a good head some of the time!

1. Religious fanatics will NOT accept! Or can you imagine Shekau saying "give me money and I'll forget jihad"?
2. The President has shut the mouth of all those saying he should offer amnesty and that it is because of that, that the north is being decimated! MEND were offered and got it - these will be offered but WON'T get it yet they NOW become not only enemy to govt but also the people since they are the ones choosing violence!
3. All military gloves can come off now because anyone refusing offered amnesty is definitely an animal and deserves all the violence the government can throw at them! And any tears by the people is now definitely boko haram's fault, not govt that offered and not JTF fighting against murderers who refuse amnesty!

The only problem will come from the last as now, nobody will be able to say the JTF is being heavy-handed thus they actually can NOW become heavy-handed yet come away looking right! I pray this doesn't mean more innocent people will die!

A tactical mind has offered this way out and its laudable people who care about Nigerians lives support such steps (read that as traps)
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by nuclearboy(m): 7:17am On Apr 05, 2013
In addition to the above, he can weight the scales on his side by simply starting to on media state he has been merciful, kind and that he sees them as errant "children" - this will annoy them and ensure they refuse! Then the gloves can come off and if they truly do come off, it is their own people that will offer them up for free when blame can no longer be apportioned to the government!

That's how to plan and think, not send fatso okupe out to insult our sensibilities over idiotic concepts
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Hadone(m): 7:48am On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 05, 2013
Typical of SR. Is this not the same SR that has been the mouth piece of Boko haram all the while? SR is the NUMBER ONE propagator of the activities of Boko haram.

Since the Boko haram mayhem started, no suggestion of possible ways of ending the crisis has emanated from SR. Not even one. All we read is criticisms of any strategy adopted by govt.

What do I expect next from SR? I expect SR to blast us, very soon, with a news report with a headline like "Boko haram rejects amnesty". Watch out!

The conclusion that can be drawn from the attitude of SR is that they want the crisis to continue. SR is profiting from the crisis.

Even if the president had said no to amnesty to Boko haram and 99% of leaders from that regions infected with Boko haram are suggesting amnesty as the way forward, it is only wise and sensible for the president to give amnesty a try. Otherwise, leaders from that region would accuse the president of being insensitive.

Again, if the leaders of the north are clamouring for amnesty, and the govt bends backwards to consider amnesty, the onus will be on the leaders in the north to persuade Boko haram members to come out from hiding and embrace amnesty.

And Why should military chiefs be enraged over amnesty? I'm sure the foot solders that die daily in this conflict wouldn't mind amnesty if that will bring peace.

Though, I'm skeptical about whether Boko haram will accept amnesty and peace but the leaders of the north know better. In any case, if the govt eventually grants amnesty and certain elements of Boko haram remain recalcitrant, then the president would be JUSTIFIED in using maximum force. Furthermore, elements of Boko haram that remain recalcitrant after amnesty will lose a measure of sympathy they currently enjoy from some segments in the north.

Consequently, any subsequent action of the govt will enjoy greater support and cooperation in the north.

However, the security forces should be very vigilant even if the govt goes ahead to offer amnesty. This is to avoid the sect re-grouping within the period.

But my attitude has always been, if amnesty will bring relative peace and allow us to move on as a country, why not? If asked to choose between amnesty leading to immediate peace and another 5 to 10yrs of fighting and killings, which would you choose?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Ogundale(m): 9:54am On Apr 05, 2013
This is nonsense while won'nt they be angry.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Sibrah: 9:54am On Apr 05, 2013
B
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by BlackPeni5: 9:56am On Apr 05, 2013
The RAMS have gotten what they always wanted...It was all about the money all along.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by cpacash: 9:56am On Apr 05, 2013
Hmmmm. KILL THEM ALL. (The only method known to millitary).
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by BlackPeni5: 9:57am On Apr 05, 2013
A good reason to plot a coup and topple d Govt. Well Obasanjo did a great job by clipping the wings of the military.
We no dey fear again...But GEJ no try sha. Time 4 MASSOB and OPC to get amnesty.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 05, 2013
for him mind him dey say thank GOD
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 05, 2013
That guy way wan carry iPad go interview na I find come dis page,

Him fit even carry d oracle priest way dey their village go interview instead of laptop or iPad.

1 Like

Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by pekelepekele(m): 10:00am On Apr 05, 2013
Let me quickly rent this space . I will comment later
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by sweetgala(m): 10:00am On Apr 05, 2013
As stated above this could work for GEJ but only if he follows it with action.
It is well known that BH is ethno-political and thus offering a resolve can remove the shroud of religion or northern youth marginalization as claimed by some.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by peruso: 10:00am On Apr 05, 2013
MY GOD!!!!!!
WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?
WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN TO PUNISH US WITH THIS MAN CALLED EBELE?

WEEPING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:01am On Apr 05, 2013
Is the amnesty also for the Bokos in GEJ's govt?
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Judolisco(m): 10:01am On Apr 05, 2013
Let him give dem enogh of d killing
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by dridowu: 10:03am On Apr 05, 2013
Since d issue of bh started in 2010, d military and oda security agents are yet to do tangible work dat wil curb boko haram, so if amnest will curb d senseless killing dn i concur with GEJ.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by ichommy(m): 10:04am On Apr 05, 2013
Wen they are not angry wetin den do? No sleep den dey sleep. Mtcheww
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by 190: 10:05am On Apr 05, 2013
1st to commented grin grin grin
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by strangest(m): 10:06am On Apr 05, 2013
They don't want amnesty, they want an islam president... They are just looking for more money to unleash their terror... Please GEJ, don't pay these morons
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by jhydebaba(m): 10:06am On Apr 05, 2013
So far it ends the madness, no qualms.
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by iamswizz(m): 10:06am On Apr 05, 2013
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by strangest(m): 10:07am On Apr 05, 2013
190: 1st to commented grin grin grin

Congratulating grin
Re: Military Chiefs Angry With Boko-Haram Amnesty by Ebestsmscom: 10:07am On Apr 05, 2013
Reserved.

(1) (2)

BUHARI Attacks GEJ For Harshnes On Boko Haram,says Ombatse Cult Must Be Punished / Pictures From Aregbesola's Rally In Ibokun 2day / Please Suggest Presidential Candidate For A.p.c (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.