Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,161 members, 7,949,994 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 05:32 AM

Investment As An Undergraduate? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investment As An Undergraduate? (2796 Views)

Get That Life Investment As A Student / Boi Pledges More Investment As Vehicle Importation Dips By 20% / Advice On Making Money As An Undergraduate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
As an Undergraduate student on scholarship, i would like to know if there are any investments one can start up using the scholarship grant. Leaving the money in the bank can be very tempting.

Please, any advices? Thankx in advance
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Seun(m): 2:44pm On Apr 05, 2013
Since your goal is just to keep the money safe so you won't spend it, I think you should put the whole amount in Nigerian Government (FGN) bonds that will mature when you graduate.

2 Likes

Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by daguru(m): 6:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
pls how do we go about the FGN bond?
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Seun(m): 7:25pm On Apr 06, 2013
daguru: pls how do we go about the FGN bond?
just visit your bank and ask them about it. They will tell you what to do next.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by stockbull(m): 7:41pm On Apr 07, 2013
buy land, use part of it in investing on website but i know you would've want to do that if you know how.
Investing on stocks is not bad idea. Invest in strong stocks that seldom rise or fall but give better profit in the long run than bond of any type
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
Seun: Since your goal is just to keep the money safe so you won't spend it, I think you should put the whole amount in Nigerian Government (FGN) bonds that will mature when you graduate.
thanks alot for the advice. But i have always had this fear abt Nigerian stocks. My fear is that it generates very little profit over so many years, i've seen that happen. And by little, i mean very tiny interest. It happend to a friend's brother dat bought lots of bank stock which paid very minute dividend after some years. Also, i have dis fear of my money vanishin esp in a case of the bank foldin or d company goin into distress (bankrupt) although i haven't seen dat happen to anyone. Wat of fixed deposits in bank?? How feasible and advantagious is it??
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
stockbull:

buy land, use part of it in investing on website but i know you would've want to do that if you know how.
Investing on stocks is not bad idea. Invest in strong stocks that seldom rise or fall but give better profit in the long run than bond of any type
pls explain the website idea. Want to see how logical it is
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by minute(f): 1:02am On Apr 10, 2013
There are a good number of good dividend paying stocks that allow you to buy directly from the

company, the reinvest dividends into whole or fractional shares of the stock. They are called

DRIPs or Dividends reinvestment plans. Most of them are at very low prices. There is plenty of

info out there on the subject. Check them for their record of paying dividends and their record

for increasing dividends. Good luck to you.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by manie(m): 3:21pm On Apr 10, 2013
KingMEXX: As an Undergraduate student on scholarship, i would like to know if there are any investments one can start up using the scholarship grant. Leaving the money in the bank can be very tempting.

Please, any advices? Thankx in advance

How much do you have to invest. How long do you want to invest. These will enable one to provide an answer to your question.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by manie(m): 3:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
If you are looking at a minimum of a 5 year plan, I will advice you to invest in fundamentally strong and highly liquid stocks.

If the money is quite substantial you can buy an income generating property in a good area.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 10, 2013
minute: There are a good number of good dividend paying stocks that allow you to buy directly from the

company, the reinvest dividends into whole or fractional shares of the stock. They are called

DRIPs or Dividends reinvestment plans. Most of them are at very low prices. There is plenty of

info out there on the subject. Check them for their record of paying dividends and their record

for increasing dividends. Good luck to you.
Thanx alot for that info. Have never paid much interest to the Business sector up until now. I would surely make enquiries on that.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2013
manie: If you are looking at a minimum of a 5 year plan, I will advice you to invest in fundamentally strong and highly liquid stocks.

If the money is quite substantial you can buy an income generating property in a good area.
yea 5yrs exactly. Pls am not quite enlightened on d business area, wat are liquid stocks?? Sorry am a bit of a pest?
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by manie(m): 4:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
KingMEXX: yea 5yrs exactly. Pls am not quite enlightened on d business area, wat are liquid stocks?? Sorry am a bit of a pest?

Liquid stocks are stocks that are as good as cash, these stocks can be readily converted to cash. These are examples of liquid cash FBN, GTB, Zenith, Nestle, Total, Flour Mills, Nigerian Breweries, Guinness, WAPCO etc.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by manie(m): 4:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
manie: If you are looking at a minimum of a 5 year plan, I will advice you to invest in fundamentally strong and highly liquid stocks.

If you must invest in real estate make sure the PE is 20 or less, anything higher than this is expensive.
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 11, 2013
manie:

Liquid stocks are stocks that are as good as cash, these stocks can be readily converted to cash. These are examples of liquid cash FBN, GTB, Zenith, Nestle, Total, Flour Mills, Nigerian Breweries, Guinness, WAPCO etc.
manie:

If you must invest in real estate make sure the PE is 20 or less, anything higher than this is expensive.
ok roger that. Thanx alot for the info. I appreciate. God bless y'all
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by j4sure(m): 8:10pm On Apr 20, 2013
Hi i advise u to look into any of this
1. Land
contact me for acres of land at Ota very close to Canaanland Starting 4rm #300k

2. Stocks.

3. Gold

4.FGN Bonds/TREASURY BILLS
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2013
Yung n inexperienced lots, pls young man I won't want to see u mek same mistake I made, if only I knew wat I know now, if only I had persons to advice me, maybe I wouldn't have lost more dan 200k as a student wen I ventured in2 stock
Pls I'll never advice u to go into stock, as a student pls, treasury bills will be ideal for u, u have a 0% risk! N ur money is safe!
When u come out in2 d real world den u myt want to explore other risk we venture into 2 mek life means ; buh until den play it safe! TB re 4 u , young man. Adieu
Re: Investment As An Undergraduate? by moshoodn(m): 7:08am On Apr 26, 2013
I heard Treasury Bills are cool...

@ OP, maybe you should check it out.

(1) (Reply)

How To Win Bet9ja Vfl / $500 Weekly With Clickbank/CPA Very Easy As ABC / Are your a major dealer(wholesales) of Clothes and Shoes then sell on OMall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.