Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,905 members, 7,889,992 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:52 AM

Nigerian Women Has Highest percentage for use of bleaching products globally - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Women Has Highest percentage for use of bleaching products globally (570 Views)

Rivers Has Highest HIV/AIDS Rate – FG / Rivers State Has Highest HIV/AIDS Cases In Nigeria / Effects Of Bleaching Cream On The Human Skin (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Nigerian Women Has Highest percentage for use of bleaching products globally by papaejima1: 8:08pm On Apr 06, 2013
Lagos, Nigeria - After carefully washing her face, legs and arms, Taiwo Solomon vigorously rubs cream over her body. She is meticulous and makes sure she covers her entire face. Soloman, 32, is bleaching her skin. She believes fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

This has been a daily routine for the past 15 years. Now several shades lighter she says her new skin makes her feel more beautiful and confident.

“Bleaching just makes me feel special, like am walking around in a spotlight,” she told Al Jazeera. “I am not seeking to be totally white, I just want to look beautiful. I cannot stop using the lightening agents,” she adds.

Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

In many parts of Africa, lighter-skinned women are considered more beautiful and are believed to be more successful and likely to find marriage.

Read more below
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/04/20134514845907984.html
Re: Nigerian Women Has Highest percentage for use of bleaching products globally by dominique(f): 8:39pm On Apr 06, 2013

(1)

(picture) LUTH Acquires Scanner That Detects Death In 10 Seconds / A Child Born Without Skull / Effective Fat Burning Workouts For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.