Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,926 members, 7,883,244 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 07:24 AM

The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin (49756 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Aizebioje(m): 5:59pm On Apr 21, 2013
No wonder the Gaius Obaseki family is so influencial in Benin.
PS: MY LANDLORD NAME NA AGHO O!!!
But seriously, I love the Oba. Very rich in morals,customs and tradition and very well educated.. Just wondering what the town will be like when he passes on.
OBA GHA TO KPERE...ISEEE!!!

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by ikechukz(m): 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2013
This would take approximately 2.256yrs to 3 d.p to read.
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Theloveth(m): 6:06pm On Apr 21, 2013
I give thanks to God for reading this whole thing finish.Insightful tho

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Redhot111(m): 6:07pm On Apr 21, 2013
BENIN...... Where d oba is truly oba.

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:08pm On Apr 21, 2013
Tropilo: The Benin people are the only tribe i know that fears (i mean real fear, not respect) their oba.
Many of them care less about the Almighty GOD, but they believe that if they ever say anything bad about their oba (be it true or false), they will die.

I wonder what kind of spell the throne has on its people!

You go see Oba,today! The usual line when they wanna scare you.

3 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Ebestsmscom: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2013
Aah the story too long.

Anyway sha I tried reading half of it.

Just passing by.
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by crisycent: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2013
Omo no Oba Gha Tor Kpere.....ISE!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Smhart1(f): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2013
NEWS
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by hrhobi1(m): 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2013
Hmmm No wonder bini gurls sweet for bed.
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Moralistli(m): 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2013
I923 to 2013...... 90yrs i think....in btw, Oba ghato kpere, Ise.
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by daguru(m): 6:26pm On Apr 21, 2013
shey,this one na the final project of OP,cos d length na for supervisors to read grin
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by tjmc: 6:35pm On Apr 21, 2013
ighoosagie:
u 4 here again, u just dry terrorize every were

Laffing and rolling on d floor

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by adebiyikayode5: 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2013
informative and interesting story kudo to u bros

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Trudprism: 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2013
mmmustapha: grin grin grin The transformation of a heir apparent (Edaiken)
to that of a king (Oba) was concretised and
solemnised. The whole city and environs in an
ecstasy, resonated with the sound of 'Oba ghato'
okpere'. The heavens, the ancestors and the gods
re-echoed with the sound of 'Ise'. A peep at the
sky exposed the sun and the moon in an eclipse
as a mark of heavenly acknowledgement, beautiful lie.

I was there and I saw it....you doubting Thomas.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 21, 2013
RUBBISH. Hw does dis solve d prblms we ve in nigeria, d bokoharam, terrorist, fraudsters etc? abeg shift
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Sijo01(f): 6:54pm On Apr 21, 2013
Bleble-swag:
RUBBISH. Hw does dis solve d prblms we ve in nigeria, d bokoharam, terrorist, fraudsters etc? abeg shift

They call you here Rubbish your head.

@topic, Oba ghato okpere....... Iseeee.

6 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by peleson: 7:18pm On Apr 21, 2013
The only OBA in nigeria today . Every other Oba is fabrication even the British tried to fabricate but the people refused.
The OBA shall live long

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by jbrodaly(m): 7:43pm On Apr 21, 2013
So insightful!Thanks for the post
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by emmabest2000(m): 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2013
more years to the life of Oba

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Lenny5000(m): 8:08pm On Apr 21, 2013
Long live the King!... I was a young lad when the current Oba ascended the thrown, The Kings Square (Ring Road) was all lit up, celebration everywhere!
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:18pm On Apr 21, 2013
THE GODS BLESS THE KING! cool
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by dad007(m): 8:31pm On Apr 21, 2013
stebell: Hw does de mystery of his birth affect de price of sugarcane in de mkt. @ splashbaby yu well for head. Believe anytin de ACN tell yu about GEJ. Ewu
Ahhhhh,e bi sugarcane bi ur problem?nor worry i get many 4 my farm com mak i giv you some. smiley
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by tellwisdom: 8:38pm On Apr 21, 2013
Oba of benin na God?? angry..abi how dat one take resurect my grand mama??angry
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Mrevildoer(m): 8:40pm On Apr 21, 2013
[quote author=ighoosagie]

culled from GUARDIAN, March 29, 2004

It is not just the silver jubilee of the reign of Oba Erediauwa the Edos celebrate. They celebrate survival. They celebrate continuity, they celebrate stability amongst other events. March 23, 1979 merely marked the day the reigning Oba ascended the throne of his forebears soon after the immediate past Oba Akenzua II joined his ancestors. On this day, both the burial and succession rites were completed.

The transformation of a heir apparent (Edaiken) to that of a king (Oba) was concretised and solemnised. The whole city and environs in an ecstasy, resonated with the sound of 'Oba ghato' okpere'. The heavens, the ancestors and the gods re-echoed with the sound of 'Ise'. A peep at the sky exposed the sun and the moon in an eclipse as a mark of heavenly acknowledgement.

Prince Solomon Akenzua now known by the title of Uku Akpolokpolo, Omo n'Oba N'Edo Erediauwa became the 38th Oba of Benin in Oba Eweka 1 dynasty that began at about the 12th c AD. This ancient kingdom as a result of its resilience, power and sophistication grew to becme an empire during the reigns of the warrior kings - Ewuare, Ozolua, Esigie and Orhogbua. Its influence covered the whole of the Niger Delta and as far as Lagos and beyond the present day Republic of Benin.

Erediauwa ascended the throne of his ancestors which for over 1000 years, ascendance had been by a system of primogeniture where only the eldest surviving son of the king succeeds his father. And it has remained so ever since. The Edos (Binis) are quite emotional about their Oba. The monarchy could be a sore and soothing spot for them anytime, but it remains a reference point cherished by all at all times. The Oba is in their parables, in their dos and don'ts in their folklores inheritance, marriage, customs funeral rites indeed in their everyday life, including ancestral worship which like the umbilical cord, ties the Oba and his subjects into one spiritual, inseparable complex whole. In the Catholic church for example, the Eucharistic priest raises the chalice and prays for the Pope, the Bishop and the priests. And this is done every day all over the world whenever mass is said.

In Benin also wherever prayer is said with Kolanut in all ancestral shrines in public or private homes, prayers are always concluded with 'Oba' khato Okpere - meaning may the Oba live long or as the British would say in their National Anthem, 'God save the Queen'. All these, combined with the operational nature of the guilds fortified their tradition as functional instrument of administration. Without the Oba, there is a big vacuum. This was what baffled the British when in 1897, Benin was under a military junta, the Oba exiled and a period of interregnum imposed: while in other places they were able to get an alternative but in Benin kingdom, it posed a dilemma for them.

In 1897, the British army in a punitive mission succeeded in a battle to dislodge the military might of the Binis and thereby truncated the reign of Ovonranmwen Nogbasi,. They tried him and exiled him to Calabar where he died in 1914. This incidence of course opened the way for the British to embark on the last phase of her colonisation of Nigeria by amalgamating the Northern and Southern Nigeria into one administrative country called Nigeria. Before the punitive expedition of 1897 the British had tried various political, economic, commercial and merchantile tactics to get at an empire that had flourished for about a thousand years dating back to the era of the Ogisos. Before the coming of the British, the Benin Empire had diplomatic and trade contacts with the Portuguese in the 15th century during the reign of Ozolua, Esigie and Orhogbua. After the Portuguese, came the Dutch in the 17th century.

The British were about the last of the adventurers and traders to visit Benin to transact business treaties, trading agreements with the kingdom towards the end of 19th century. The British tested the waters under the cover of the Royal Niger Company, Oil River Protectorate, the Niger Delta Protectorate and the Southern Nigeria Protectorate. She continued to expand her influence at the expense of the coastal kingdoms. She deceived the Oba of Benin into a series of trading, diplomatic and peace treaties, beneficial only to the imperial government of Great Britain.

The period of interregnum (1897-1914) was long enough to alter, adulterate, deface, substitute and destroy any existing political arrangement that stood between the British colonial agenda and the conquered people. Like they have done in East Africa and in other parts of the British Empire, raising a powerful individual as a tool in her divide and rule scheme was the British standard stock-in-trade. Agho Obaseki's industry and resourcefulness were harnessed and cultivated by the British beyond the call of duty. Agho became powerfu
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by Agrika: 8:55pm On Apr 21, 2013
HIST 4301
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by BB013(m): 9:07pm On Apr 21, 2013

It is no surprise yur name say mumustapaha..
If u dont know endevour to before you start talking poo
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by corinna: 9:11pm On Apr 21, 2013
@topic, Oba ghato okpere....... Iseeee

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by AreaFada2: 9:13pm On Apr 21, 2013

I am not sure you were even born then. I saw it. It looked like an eclipse. I only realised it myself when I saw an eclipse in London in 1999. Don't argue what you don't know.

The question you should ask is if it was just a coincidence.

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by amdman: 9:29pm On Apr 21, 2013

It really sounds unbelievable abi? I would have thought so too, but my father kept the video tape and I have seen it.

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by brownlord: 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2013

Shld sometin terrible happen to u tomorrow, ur family wld be crying. My friend, in d midst of happiness there is a brutal danger

Oba ghe ogboriri, oba gha to kpere

3 Likes

Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by ikweremilitant: 10:05pm On Apr 21, 2013
Space for sale
Re: The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin by dramendra: 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2013
Yoruba and Benin People no go let person hear word with culture, why una no dey waka for leg? Why una dey take motor trvel? Make we see road joor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) / Masquerade In London. White Men Wearing Egungun Costume Dance In London Streets / Masquerade Uncovers His Face To Beg A Man Money(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.