Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,887 members, 7,973,043 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 06:48 AM

Margaret Thatcher Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Margaret Thatcher Is Dead (44693 Views)

An Open Letter To Mrs Margaret Thatcher From General Olusegun Obasanjo / Watch Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral Highlights / Margaret Thatcher's Death Greeted With Street Parties In Brixton And Glasgow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
Not really, I just hate lazy liberals more.

They want everything free. I don't to work hard to support lazy folks.

Their solution to economic issues is to tax the rich. Are all rich people born rich?

Tax the rich so that

1. 16 yr olds can have as many babies as they want

2. So that criminal teenage boys can use prison as a nursery

3. lazy folks can live rent free, collect dole weekly, and drink up at the pub.

You can't really judge the lot based on the actions of a few... These lazy bums are in the minority... How many people can survive on 54 pounds a week??

There are thousands of black folks out here who have never signed-on for giro for a day in their lives... They just don't agree with it - and they prefer to work hard to earn a living...

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 9:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

You're starting to sound more like David Lammy than a Diane Abbott or Chuka Umunna... This isn't about being practical, it's about the virtues of a community based society and what a normal society with have and have-nots should be... You don't have to destroy the poor to create wealth - a functional society needs both the poor and rich to be able to function adequately to the normal standard... However, when a society becomes elite orientated, with the poor being left out the equation - then you'll disenfranchise the biggest demographic of the population...

Lady Thatcher's policies is the reason why the UK became a crime-ridden hell-hole with so many disenfranchised poor people and minorities... More than three generations of black folks have been lost due to the seed she sowed in the 80s....

Also, how do you expect the poor to pay taxes when the factories they worked in were closed down??

Go and read up about the winter of discontent in 1979.
1. A labour government was in power.
2. Inflation was above 10%
3. Britain owed the IMF
4. Labour unions were demanding 5% pay rises
5. Economy was growing at or below 1%

The unions went on a series of strikes which paralysed the country economically and socially. Refuse wasn't collected and the dead weren't buried.

Do you think it was worth it?

Do you think the UK should have borrowed more to pay 5% pay rises even with slowing economy?

Those are the real questions. The people that lost their jobs, the society not provide for them? Didn't they have homes, hospitals and schools to go to? Anyone reading from you chaps would think that they were abandoned like African governments abandon their citizens.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by plasgidy: 9:29pm On Apr 08, 2013
ladies and gents of the house,its unfortunet thats some uninformed folks are here talking shit about this woman who never want to see a black man smiling,immagen calling a freedom fighter a terrorist and so many more both known and unknown,london you see today was built by this so immegrants they dont want to see, she can only be praised by some of there party british bigots like her, not internationaly infact any black man that praised her is ignorants of her hates to black race,rip RIP
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Kats is David Lammy reincarnated in a Nigerian body... grin

Lol like seriously. He's on this debate.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 9:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

However, those making black people proud today aren't even from the elite-class - they're all from poor backgrounds... and the funniest thing is that the children of these pseudo-elitists black folks never make it beyond middle-class level, that's the honest truth... They also always end up as faggits and crackheads!! grin

You just make blanket statements, when you are asked to support it, you go silent or state you will provide it later. I don't want to get into a class debate because it is counter productive.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by ogaemma: 9:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
Nightshift: I just saw the news on Bloomberg Television. Once called 'Iron Lady', Margaret Thatcher was one of the racist hawks who saw nothing wrong about the then Apartheid government in South Africa. She even called Nelson Mandela a terrorist, and ANC a terrorist organization! She's joined her buddy Roland Reagan. Well, God decides when its time up....

True talk. Gadafi is waiting for them. Mandela just want all of them to go b4 he will go and settle the case.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
Go and read up about the winter of discontent in 1979.
1. A labour government was in power.
2. Inflation was above 10%
3. Britain owed the IMF
4. Labour unions were demanding 5% pay rises
5. Economy was growing at or below 1%

The unions went on a series of strikes which paralysed the country economically and socially. Refuse wasn't collected and the dead weren't buried.

Do you think it was worth it?

Do you think the UK should have borrowed more to pay 5% pay rises even with slowing economy?

Those are the real questions. The people that lost their jobs, the society not provide for them? Didn't they have homes, hospitals and schools to go to? Anyone reading from you chaps would think that they were abandoned like African governments abandon their citizens.

The country's in a similar situation now, how come David Cameron isn't doing what Thatcher did?? I'm not an economist but I know there better ways to go about it than what she did... I already gave you the blue-print to the 1800-1913 piss-poor UK and how the economy was saved on the backs of the rich...

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

You just make blanket statements, when you are asked to support it, you go silent or state you will provide it later. I don't want to get into a class debate because it is counter productive.

Can you cite the blanket statements that I made? - I'm at home now and I'll back up all my claims...
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Lol like seriously. He's on this debate.

Lmao...Enoch Powell's "rivers of blood." grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 9:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

The country's in a similar situation now, how come David Cameron isn't doing what Thatcher did?? I'm not an economist but I know there better ways to go about it than what she did... I already gave you the blue-print to the 1800-1913 piss-poor UK and how the economy was saved on the backs of the rich...

What are you talking about? The UK became the richest nation on the back of the industrial revolution and empire building. Britain over took China and India in the 19th century and only surrendered that title to the us in the 20th century.

Why do you think the UK was poor in the 19th century? What text or books are you referring to?

"[b]Britain led the industrial revolution and dominated the European and world economy during the 19th century. It was the major innovator in machinery such as steam engines (for pumps, factories, railway locomotives and steamships), textile equipment, and tool-making. It invented the railway system and built much of the equipment used by other nations. As well it was a leader in international and domestic banking, entrepreneurship, and trade. It built a global British Empire. [/b]After 1840 it abandoned mercantilism and practised "free trade," with no tariffs or quotas or restrictions. The powerful Royal Navy protected its global holdings, while its legal system provided a system for resolving disputes inexpensively.

Between 1870 and 2000, economic output per head of population in Britain rose by 500 per cent, generating a significant rise in living standards. However, from the late 19th century onwards Britain experienced a relative economic decline as other nations such as the United States and Germany caught up. In 1870, Britain's output per head was the second highest in the world after Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom

Cameron can't undo what Thatcher did. And he can't do what as already been done. But at least, he is cutting waste and has ensured that Britain still has access to the money markets unlike some other European nations.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Inik(m): 9:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
Margaret thatcher was a firm and strong leader who acted on her convictions. I believe she did a lot to improve the economy of Britain. She initiated privatisation of government industries, worked with Ronald reagan of Usa and Gorbachev the then soviet union"s leader to end the cold war and she served as an inspiration to women all around the world. The dark side of her reign was her clash with labour unions especially the miners which led to unemployment and poverty, her support for the apartheid regime in South Africa and the Faulkland wars. The iron lady was a remarkable leader and she had a sense of humour. May her soul Rip.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao...Enoch Powell's "rivers of blood." grin

LOOL ! But seriously aren't you guys tired of arguing ?

Kats go and rest, you've been on this debate for ages.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by ylaa(f): 9:47pm On Apr 08, 2013
RIP
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by adeyemmy88(m): 9:48pm On Apr 08, 2013
Adieu, Thatcher the Iron lady and mother of Conservative party!!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:
What are you talking about? The UK became the richest nation on the back of the industrial revolution and empire building. Britain over took China and India in the 19th century and only surrendered that title to the us in the 20th century.

Why do you think the UK was poor in the 19th century? What text or books are you referring to?

Cameron can't undo what Thatcher did. And he can't do what as already been done. But at least, he is cutting waste and has ensured that Britain still has access to the money markets unlike some other European nations.

Wow!! So, you've forgotten about the poverty and squalor of the 19th century - factories building villages for workers; Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890 in London; tenement blocks etc., no??

As for Cameron, my point is that, why isn't he implementing stringent policies like Lady Thatcher did since the economy right now is reminiscent of Thatcher's era??
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by plasgidy: 9:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Kats go and rest, yo

u've been on this debate for ages.

Mr kats, your post just wake me up sir
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Kats go and rest, you've been on this debate for ages.

Not tired of fight for black folks - we've been cheated and kicked down for too long, yet most people think we're a cursed race... We've been in the UK since the 1700s, how come we have only few quotable black Britons?? - Olaudah Equaino and _______.... The truth is that the generations before us were destroyed and disenfranchised by racist policies, hence why we've no role models from their generation... Those beautiful black folks never failed us - the system destroyed them... and we must not allow the same system to destroy us as well!!!
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
Mtcheeeew. Yawns out of this thread. Caste Iron lady is gone and so is her evil reign. Her son would still face the ICC anyway and finally, with the French secretly selling nuclear subs to the Argentine, and the Pope in support, the Malvinas would be reclaimed!.

I hate the Tories with all my heart. Closet bigots.
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Not tired of fight for black folks - we've been cheated and kicked down for too long, yet most people think we're a cursed race... We've been in the UK since the 1700s, how come we have only few quotable black Britons?? - Olaudah Equaino and _______.... The truth is that the generations before us were destroyed and disenfranchised by racist policies, hence why we've no role models from their generation... Those beautiful black folks never failed us - the system destroyed them... and we must not allow the same system to destroy us as well!!!

Alright sir. I've heard you. *steps away from thread*
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Alright sir. I've heard you. *steps away from thread*

I thought you've joined my troop, no?? tongue

You're a Field Marshal and you need to stand by me at all times... grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 10:04pm On Apr 08, 2013
plasgidy:

Mr kats, your post just wake me up sir

How?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

I thought you've joined my troop, no?? tongue

You're a Field Marshal and you need stand by me at all times... grin

I'm always here for you, don't worry. grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
adaobi123:

I'm always here for you, don't worry. grin

That's why you've got more stars and stripes than the America flag!! grin
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by VolvoS60(m): 10:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

If the govt didn't bail out the banks, it would have lost in the following ways

1. Hundreds of thousands of jobs would have lost
2. Many more would have gone on the dole. Do you think everyone who worked in a bank was a dealer/broker/executive? Do you think everyone in a bank earns huge bonus
3. Banking would have collapsed and a service would have gone.
4. It would have been more difficult to build the banking industry
5. Government spending would have increased and its revenue from taxes would have reduced

The banks that were taken over became government assets. Or do you think the government just gave them free money. In the US, bailed out banks have returned to profitability. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are profitable today. Buffett's holding in Goldman Sachs as enriched him further. In every crises, there is always opportunity. While some are seizing these opportunities, others are complaining even when they don't understand the basic details.

^^^^
Great thread. Very interesting exchange between the pro and anti thatcher groups.

I have a few questions for you mr katsumoto: what makes financial services and the banking sector so special? Which other sectors are bailed out by the government when they run into trouble? The same argument you put up above (your five reasons for a bailout) for banks could apply to any other sector. So why doesn't the government bailout the steel industry, shipbuilding, car manufacturing, etc. when they "need help"?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto

Can you tell us more about your love story with Lady Thatcher?? wink
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

That's why you've got more stars and stripes than the America flag!! grin

You are so embarrassing !
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Katsumoto: 10:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Wow!! So, you've forgotten about the poverty and squalor of the 19th century - factories building villages for workers; Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890 in London; tenement blocks etc., no??

As for Cameron, my point is that, why isn't he implementing stringent policies like Lady Thatcher did since the economy right now is reminiscent of Thatcher's era??

So can you name one nation without poverty? All that doesn't take away from the FACT that Britain was the wealthiest nation in the world in the 19th century.

There is no state of Utopia; there will always be imperfections in a society dominated by man.

What stringent policies can Cameron implement? Please use specific examples.

What did Thatcher do that Cameron can do today? Can he break the unions? Can he nationalize public assets? Can he give people the right to own their own homes? Can he make the market freer (if he did would accuse him of extreme capitalism)?
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by cap28: 10:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

"[b]Britain led the industrial revolution and dominated the European and world economy during the 19th century. It was the major innovator in machinery such as steam engines (for pumps, factories, railway locomotives and steamships), textile equipment, and tool-making. It invented the railway system and built much of the equipment used by other nations. As well it was a leader in international and domestic banking, entrepreneurship, and trade. It built a global British Empire. [/b]After 1840 it abandoned mercantilism and practised "free trade," with no tariffs or quotas or restrictions. The powerful Royal Navy protected its global holdings, while its legal system provided a system for resolving disputes inexpensively.

Between 1870 and 2000, economic output per head of population in Britain rose by 500 per cent, generating a significant rise in living standards. However, from the late 19th century onwards Britain experienced a relative economic decline as other nations such as the United States and Germany caught up. In 1870, Britain's output per head was the second highest in the world after Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom

It's funny how you left out the rather important bit about the transatlantic slave trade.

You deserve honorary membership of the Conservative Party for your ability to gloss over britain's unsavoury past.

The British worked black african slaves to death on sugar and tobaccco plantations in the carribean and the enormous wealth generated from the slave trade propelled their industrial revolution - and yet you are full of praises for them - talk about self hatred.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by plasgidy: 10:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
Katsumoto:

How?

cos you are still awake, pls sir dont bash me but bash mrs thatcher, cheers
Re: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Even obama's babe will like Mrs Thatcher. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman Jailed For Trying To Assassinate Theresa May / Boycott South Africa! Boycott Dstv, Mtn Etc! See What They Did To Your Brothers! / China Displays Nuclear Submarine To Tourists (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.