Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,802 members, 7,948,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 12:28 PM

Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? (23487 Views)

How I Made It To Sweden From Nigeria To Study For My Master’s Degree / Polytechnic Or Pre Degree .which One Shld I Go For / 1 Year To Up Degree-which Way In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by profstar(m): 1:00pm On Apr 15, 2013
Slickest:
Economics
MHEEN! We are wearing the same shoe, i'll like to know you more, nairalanders please advice us, because you are bettering the life of new graduates
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by rodeo0070(m): 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
yuzedo: I want to acquire Mistress'. Professional Mistress degree...sad

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 15, 2013

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by nikkyshyne(f): 1:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
I studied Estate Management. I am concentrating more on my professional exams for now. Which I passed by the way. Almost through with my thesis wink

It all depends on the course of study. Some courses needs you to be dependent on a company while some courses can allow you soar on your own.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
Slickest: Hello my dignified nairalanders,I have been in a confused state lately based on this phenomenon of masters or professional exam after your bsc program.

I would really appreciate your views on this issue.

As a senior professional myself, I will adivce you not to waste your time and money if you haven't figured out what you really want to do. I will never advise you take a professional exam or masters just for the fun of it. You shouldn't spend all that time and money when you are not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve. You just do not want to acquire another expensive piece of paper.

Some people suggest an MBA. It is the only qualification that I can say is generally always needed. But then the issue of where do you want to study your MBA comes in? Abroad or in Nigeria? It all depends on what you can afford!

5 Likes

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Agbgift(f): 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2013
I will advise u do ur masters, and also do professional exams dat relates to ur fields.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by JimmyBoy1: 1:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
If you think you want to go into academics, you can go for masters, however if you want to bag a cozy job then advise you just gor for your professional exams. Since you studied economics, the you can go for any of ACCA,CFA,CIS or ACA.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by GboyegaD(m): 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Slickest: Hello my dignified nairalanders,I have been in a confused state lately based on this phenomenon of masters or professional exam after your bsc program.

The question still drives down to what do you really want to do in the near future? Until you are sure, it is going to be difficult for you to ascertain which is best as each of them have their benefits. I am an economist and I work in banking for about 4.5years without any professional/masters at that time because my dream was well defined. Now I am pursuing my dreams and without any regret whatsoever. Therefore, in the interim, do not jump into any of the two, take your time, think about what you truly love to do and then choose which is most appropriate for you. Remember, it isn't all about the money you can make but the fulfillment of doing what you want to matters most.

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by NOIBMUUL(m): 1:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
All I see on this thread is a reflection of the dearth in our educational system. And I'm guilty too. However, I'll rather gather work experience (not MSc or professional exams) and become an employer of labour.

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Odunnu: 1:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
Caracta:
You can also be an accountant or financial analyst through professional exams. Who says you can't kill a bird with five stones or more? wink
Like counting your tongue with your teeth? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by OracleHex(m): 1:18pm On Apr 15, 2013
Caracta:
You can also be an accountant or financial analyst through professional exams. Who says you can't kill a bird with five stones or more? wink
Actually its kill five birds with one stone
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Caracta(f): 1:19pm On Apr 15, 2013
OracleHex:
Actually its kill five birds with one stone
Oh...thanks. My bad...lol grin
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by olaedo3087(f): 1:24pm On Apr 15, 2013

Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Logba: 1:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
Your background in economics will be complemented with ACCA. It will give you the right exposure and marketability .With that achieved, you can be sure of a fruitful career. Moreover, when you have settled in employment and understand your very area, you may then chose to do your MBA or MSC.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Fhemmmy: 1:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
Slickest:
Economics

With Economics, i will advice you go ahead and do your Masters . . . that could unlock doors and remember to pray as well.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by ecode1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 15, 2013
Op, I also studied Economics as well and i am currently preparing for my professional exams while still young and very active. I am not in a haste to go for my Masters but if the need comes up, i wouldn't hesitate. I think Professional exams makes you stand out more that masters except you want to be a lecturer. Go for your professional exams now and do masters later. In case you don't know, Masters is now called "PURE WATER"! You can get it any time you choose to. Make the right decision bro.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 1:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
What do you want to do with a masters degree/professional cert?

Why not get a job first (thats if you're not an employee).
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Acidosis(m): 1:43pm On Apr 15, 2013
e.code:
Op, I also studied Economics as well and i am currently preparing for my professional exams while still young and very active. I am not in a haste to go for my Masters but if the need comes up, i wouldn't hesitate. I think Professional exams makes you stand out more that masters except you are want to be a lecturer. Go for your professional exams now and do masters later. In case you don't know, Masters is now called "PURE WATER"! You can get it any time you choose to. Make the right decision bro.

So what do we call "professional" certificates? EVA BOTTLE WATER?

Abegi all na wash...

You need to see how people now advertise & beg people to come register for the so called "professional" thingy so the tutors won't die of hunger.

Work experience beats all these stress..
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by EmmyDe25(m): 1:53pm On Apr 15, 2013
e mandman: ...Oh myy...dis op is my goodfriend he made frontpage....i neva make 1st to comment b4....na afta me d guy register o...
Ur name said it all.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by omotolsy(m): 1:56pm On Apr 15, 2013
Lagusta:

well, i dont know much about social science courses, but one sure thing is that alot of my senior lecturers (doctors) did MBA, maybe its quite important tho....
I am an ACIPM nd a proud one I wld advice u to go for both, its both achievable, bt b ready for some serios jacking. Cipm was tough prof exams no b beans o bt sure u can survive if u jack
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ceteris Paribus....Fellow Economists, i love how you guys are helping out......Please I would like to know if it's okay to get a job first, then further my education with a professional course & MBA while still working.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by wonlasewonimi: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
nnafather: I'm an Economist too; just concluded my MBA, heading for Msc(Economics) after chartering in a professional body (name withheld)which is on now. This is because of the nature of my Job...You know the nature of your career. Plan it around it. If you are interested in lecturing, proceed for your Masters.

Waste of time and money.

If you are in Nigeria, go for your MSc!

If you are outside, choose a professional qualification that aligns with your career path.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Caracta(f): 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2013
Odunnu:
Like counting your tongue with your teeth? grin grin
Or counting your teeth with your tongue...lol grin grin

Jeez! Why am I confused today?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by kcy(m): 2:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
guys,i am undergraduate in microbiology dept.pls, i need u to enligting me more on the issue of master and prof exam.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by ecode1(m): 2:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Acidosis:

So what do we call "professional" certificates? EVA BOTTLE WATER?

Abegi all na wash...

You need to see how people now advertise & beg people to come register for the so called "professional" thingy so the tutors won't die of hunger.

Work experience beats all these stress..

I know what I'm talking about. In my line of career, hardly will you find Masters as the requirement for employment/promotion. That goes to show how irrelevant it's fast becoming. Hence, the reason i opts for professional exams though not ruling the fact that i wont go for it later. When it comes to both, i give much preference to Professional exams. To even buttress my point more, If you are in the accounting profession, don't ever think you are going to be ahead of someone with ACCA Certificate, Never! It largely depend on your chosen career. In Nigeria, experience don't give you promotion but certificates does!!! Op, define your line of career and know what's best to go for.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by nattyman: 2:05pm On Apr 15, 2013
pls go for prof exam. Only foreign MBA is better recognised than prof qualification in Nigeria. I advise you register for ICAN or ACCA or CFA. Then you can pursue masters later. this is based on the understanding that you want to stay very relevant in your job outside teaching anyway.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by PBundles(m): 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2013
This is by far the best advice given by mr Memphis (I mean Nashville). wink

Though many are trying to be helpful, the main thing now for you is to come up with a 5 year plan (GOAL) for starters. Having completed your BSc, you are aware of what you like, what you dont, your strong points, your weak points as well as what interests you. Then couple this with what Opportunities/Threats you see and create a plan on how to attain your goal (where you want to be in 5 years).

I also did Bach Econ and later did my MBA as well as professional certifications. I teach at an evening school and I work during the day (and night, sometime ) within the financial sector focusing on tax structures. Back then I knew I wanted to teach and didnt want to do a specific business post grad, hence the MBA. If you want to specialize andpossibly teach a Masters/PhD in Economics is not bad. So as you can see there are many variables, but first state your GOALS.

Success!

Nashville:

As a senior professional myself, I will adivce you not to waste your time and money if you haven't figured out what you really want to do. I will never advise you take a professional exam or masters just for the fun of it. You shouldn't spend all that time and money when you are not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve. You just do not want to acquire another expensive piece of paper.

Some people suggest an MBA. It is the only qualification that I can say is generally always needed. But then the issue of where do you want to study your MBA comes in? Abroad or in Nigeria? It all depends on what you can afford!
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by PBundles(m): 2:13pm On Apr 15, 2013
Hi E.Code.

To some extent it depends. In my line of work I have close contact with the Big Accunting firms and what I see to be honest is that registered accounts dont head departments, but those with diploms do (Masters, PhD etc). The RAs that I have seen head have a diploma next to their RA. Now Im strictlty speaking about in Europe and US so I cant say how it is in Nigeria, but this is MY experience and I work with different firms all the time.

e.code:

I know what I'm talking about. In my line of career, hardly will you find Masters as the requirement for employment/promotion. That goes to show how irrelevant it's fast becoming. Hence, the reason i opts for professional exams though not ruling the fact that i wont go for it later. When it comes to both, i give much preference to Professional exams. To even buttress my point more, If you are in the accounting profession, don't ever think you are going to be ahead of someone with ACCA Certificate, Never! It largely depend on your chosen career. In Nigeria, experience don't give you promotion but certificates does!!! Op, define your line of career and know what's best to go for.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by byns: 2:14pm On Apr 15, 2013
toluleke: Guys what about engineering. AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING..
go and buy land and start farming
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Philolos: 2:14pm On Apr 15, 2013

With the advent of technology, you'll need both in today's competitive marketplace. I would suggest obtaining an M.Sc first and shortly after go after relevant certification(s). Most professional certification bodies now require that members re-certify every so often. So get the masters out of the way and certification or re-certification can go on for as long. In addition, depending on the profession you are in, you may also find yourself having to obtain a couple of masters degrees especially if you are just starting out today.

If you currently have a technical degree/masters degree, a business degree (an MBA) can support your climb into upper management. It's not needed, but there's a chance you'll be taken more seriously if you have it.
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by HARDDON: 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
Caracta: Professional exams. Trust me, those exams would serve as a boost in your career, especially if you are in Nigeria. Do we really learn in schools? La cram, la pour things. With professional exams, you can have qualifications even outside your career path. Be wise! cheesy

schools are like la cram la pour?

ever heard of dumps when professional exams are involved?
Re: Pursuing Professional Exams Or Master Degree: Which Is Better? by Dermie: 2:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
e mandman: ...Oh myy...dis op is my goodfriend he made frontpage....i neva make 1st to comment b4....na afta me d guy register o...
Sorry!...its not a FCFS tin.
Try again later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

30 Haunting Photos Of People Right Before Their Deaths continued from page 4. / OAU Students Pay N90 For Accommodation Per Year ―vice Chancellor / We Don’t Have Transport Fares To Go To Work – ASUU President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.