Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,147 members, 7,939,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 09:12 AM

Why Prayer Is Useless - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Prayer Is Useless (6485 Views)

When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Reason Why Our Prayer Is Not Being Answer And The Solution!!! Pleased Read / If Satan Disappears, Then God Is Useless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by ooman(m): 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2013
greatgenius: well very true..and this is where most Christians and religious people i should say get it wrong...for instance sitting at home all day and praying incessantly for a job without any effort will not get you a job.. same way you are not going to get the woman of your dreams sitting at home daydreaming.this is not true..no work is actually really done without faith.. i had to actually laugh at the bolded..perhaps you should define what your understanding of faith.. prayer and work actually go hand in hand..you just have no idea what prayer is unfortunately

this statement proves you have no idea what prayer is and yet you think it is useless

It would be just great, if you could expatiate more on what faith and prayer is.

I maintain that work without faith in god is absolute success from experience as an atheist
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 9:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
ooman:

you were probably banned tongue smiley
i doubt if that was the case.
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 10:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
ooman:

It would be just great, if you could expatiate more on what faith and prayer is.

I maintain that work without faith in god is absolute success from experience as an atheist
you dont have to have faith in God or a deity to be successful in anything. you simply have to have faith..
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
@oonan.. prayer is not just kneeling down and begging God for your daily bread-which is what you think it is...prayer is nothing more than a fervent statement of what is so... like i said no prayer-whaterver the form-goes unanswered. Every prayer—every thought, every statement, every feeling—is creative. To the degree that it is fervently held as truth, to that degree will it be made manifest..in your experience....

When people say a prayer has not been answered, what has actually happened is that the most fervently held thought, word, or feeling has become operative/answered.. couple that with the fact that most people do not really know how to "properly" pray- this is where the confusion lies..

most people incorrectly pray by asking/wanting instead of choosing or giving thanks.You will not have that for which you ask, nor can you have anything you want..You cannot have it, if you want it( it is that simple ).. This is because your very request of asking or wanting is a statement of lack.. anyone saying they want a thing only works to produce that precise experience—wanting—in their reality. if you pray wanting a car, ajob or wanting to be rich then you will experience that exact request-wanting(then you go around shouting prayer is useless, meanwhile the universe had granted your very request)

The correct prayer therefore is never a prayer of supplication, but a prayer of gratitude. when you give thanks you are affirming that, that which you choose is already there.( i know you are not a christian but in reference to jesus- this is why he always gave thanks in advance before every "miracle" )
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 19, 2013
greatgenius: @oonan.. prayer is not just kneeling down and begging God for your daily bread-which is what you think it is...prayer is nothing more than a fervent statement of what is so... like i said no prayer-whaterver the form-goes unanswered. Every prayer—every thought, every statement, every feeling—is creative. To the degree that it is fervently held as truth, to that degree will it be made manifest..in your experience....

When people say a prayer has not been answered, what has actually happened is that the most fervently held thought, word, or feeling has become operative/answered.. couple that with the fact that most people do not really know how to "properly" pray- this is where the confusion lies..

most people incorrectly pray by asking/wanting instead of choosing or giving thanks.You will not have that for which you ask, nor can you have anything you want..You cannot have it, if you want it( it is that simple ).. This is because your very request of asking or wanting is a statement of lack.. anyone saying they want a thing only works to produce that precise experience—wanting—in their reality. if you pray wanting a car, ajob or wanting to be rich then you will experience that exact request-wanting(then you go around shouting prayer is useless, meanwhile the universe had granted your very request)

The correct prayer therefore is never a prayer of supplication, but a prayer of gratitude. when you give thanks you are affirming that, that which you choose is already there.( i know you are not a christian but in reference to jesus- this is why he always gave thanks in advance before every "miracle" )

This is the most foolish thing I have ever read on Nairaland despite it being eloquently put.

In short, sick people should pray with gratitude for their sickness rather than healing?

tchew
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by ooman(m): 6:57am On Apr 19, 2013
greatgenius: @oonan.. prayer is not just kneeling down and begging God for your daily bread-which is what you think it is...prayer is nothing more than a fervent statement of what is so... like i said no prayer-whaterver the form-goes unanswered. Every prayer—every thought, every statement, every feeling—is creative. To the degree that it is fervently held as truth, to that degree will it be made manifest..in your experience....

In other words, prayer is having faith for something not done yet by giving thanks that it will be done.

Its is still useless because having faith about something is like you wanting a cup of water on a table and sitting still without standing to get it and prayer is like you talking to that cup of water to come to you itself. You may have faith for all eternity and pray ad infinitum that the cup will get to you, but if you dont stand to get it, it will be there without getting to you and the moment you stand up to get it, faith becomes redundant, prayer becomes a total waste of time.

Faith remains useless and prayer remains a waste of time.
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by turnstoner(m): 8:34am On Apr 19, 2013
Prayer according to @genius:

1. You want something, you pretend that you dont want it.

2. Instead pretend you already have it by being grateful and thankful.

Feels like children playing hide and seek to me grin
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

This is the most foolish thing I have ever read on Nairaland despite it being eloquently put.

In short, sick people should pray with gratitude for their sickness rather than healing?

tchew
lol wow so is this what you got from the post or what you thought i said? is like saying poor people should pray with gratitude for their poorness...

but since you didnt get what i wrote, in short i am saying, sick people should pray with gratitude for their healing-not the other way around
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by don33310(m): 2:56pm On Apr 19, 2013
Prayer is just a mere wish.
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 4:02pm On Apr 19, 2013
turnstoner: Prayer according to @genius:

1. You want something, you pretend that you dont want it.

2. Instead pretend you already have it by being grateful and thankful.

Feels like children playing hide and seek to me grin
1. a)wanting something will definitely bring you more of that experience-wanting
b)pretending means you don't have it-is not there... if it is not there then you cant have it and you wont
c) choosing something instead brings it to you..

2. a)don't pretend.. trust and believe that you already have it-even before you ask.... that's why you give thanks in advance..for instance wanting a job and pretending you already have it will not get you a job-pretending means it is not there..you cannot fool the universe or yourself..instead trust and believe that you have one-that there is one or a couple out there waiting for you-this is faith.. and go out there and get it..

b) When you give thanks in advance for that which you choose to experience in your reality, you,in effect, acknowledge that it is there... in effect... an affirmation that even before you ask, God/the universe have answered. Thankfulness is thus the most powerful statement to God/the universe..Therefore don't supplicate or beg or want. instead appreciate..
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by turnstoner(m): 4:42pm On Apr 19, 2013
Thrust and believe = Pretending
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by greatgenius: 6:02pm On Apr 19, 2013
ooman:
In other words, prayer is having faith for something not done yet by giving thanks that it will be done.

Its is still useless because having faith about something is like you wanting a cup of water on a table and sitting still without standing to get it and prayer is like you talking to that cup of water to come to you itself.
i have said it countless times that you cannot have something that you want..if you want something you will have to go get it or you will never have it..it is that simple..how do you want the cup to come to you if all you are doing is wanting it..
You may have faith for all eternity and pray ad infinitum that the cup will get to you, but if you dont stand to get it, it will be there without getting to you
firstly if you have faith for all eternity you wouldnt even have to get up. you will command the cup and it will come to you in.. you will transcend physicality. you will tell a mountain to move and it will.( i know i know. i am talking about stuffs that you do not believe but you get the drift- the irony is that one cannot experience that which they believe in not)
and the moment you stand up to get it, faith becomes redundant, prayer becomes a total waste of time.
you mind expatiating on how faith here becomes redundant? can anything at all be done without faith-forget about religious faith because i am not talking about that sort of faith..

Faith remains useless and prayer remains a waste of time.
prayer is not a waste of time. you are praying all the time. prayer is an affirmation of what is so..prayer does not necessarily mean that you directing it-your thoughts, dreams, feelings- to a deity or God. likewise faith has nothing to do with religion..
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by ooman(m): 6:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
^^^^If the faith you mean is being pragmatic and proactive then i agree, but if it demands believing that an invisible skydaddy god is caring for you, forget it.
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 19, 2013
turnstoner: Thrust and believe = Pretending
Chineke meh! I don't understand sir.
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by ooman(m): 11:45am On Apr 20, 2013
Reyginus: Chineke meh! I don't understand sir.

how can you understand, corrupt goat cheesy
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by lepasharon(f): 6:04am On Apr 13, 2015
Hmm I believe in prayer but you are making sense OP
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by lepasharon(f): 6:09am On Apr 13, 2015
However I must say this only applies to ppl who belive God has a 'plan'. I dont belive in destiny/fate whatever
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by darnley16(m): 6:13am On Apr 13, 2015
lepasharon:
However I must say this only applies to ppl who belive God has a 'plan'. I dont belive in destiny/fate whatever
sharon hun, watsup
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by segedoo(m): 2:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
lepasharon:

Destiny is a choice.

Your twitter handle? What"s up with it?
Re: Why Prayer Is Useless by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 13, 2015
this just shook my faith....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whats Your View About Pork (meat From Pig) As A Christian / Satanism or Christianity / Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.