Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,427 members, 7,884,934 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 06:27 PM

First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto (1241 Views)

Do You Know Zain Asher Of CNN And Chinwetel Ejiofor Are Siblings? / Nigerian-British Actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor Honoured By the British Empire (Photos) / Buhari's Strong Leadership (video Clip From Jan 1984) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by shineeye: 12:29am On Apr 14, 2013
ORANGE PRICE WINNING NOVEL CHIAMANDA ADICHIE

Timed to coincide with the forthcoming release of "Americanah," the third novel from heavy-hitting Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the first look at the adaptation of her prize-winning second novel "Half of a Yellow Sun" has arrived, and a handsome fellow it is too.

Featuring Thandie Newton and a bearded and dreamy-as-ever Chiwetel Ejiofor, the story follows a couple whose romance takes place against the background of the Nigeria-Biafra conflict. It's directed by first-timer Biyi Bandele, who may not have directed a film before, but comes with serious pedigree as a playwright, novelist and theatre director and is considered (along with Adichie) one of Nigeria's most important writers. Cinematographer John de Borman ("An Education," "The Full Monty"wink adds further credibility along with a supporting class that includes Anika Noni Rose ("The Princess and the Frog"wink, Genevieve Nnaji, John Boyega ("Attack the Block"wink and Joseph Mawle ("Game of Thrones"wink.

Precious little has been given away about the production so far but the presence of Ejiofor and Newton and the frankly stupendous excellence of the novel are reason enough to keep it on the radar. The clip suggests a pretty polished production and the epic qualities of the story bode well for the adaptation. A possible contender for a Cannes preview showing, expect more to emerge as Adichie hits the literary circuit hard next month for the U.S. release of her novel. Clip below (it starts about 30 seconds in). [Shadow & Act]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ck2o34DS64

Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 14, 2013
Eek! At Thandie's Nigerian accent embarassed embarassed
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by shineeye: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2013
nnenna.1:
Eek! At Thandie's Nigerian accent embarassed embarassed

what do you mean by Nigerian accent
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 12:43am On Apr 14, 2013
shine eye: what do you mean by Nigerian accent

Don't like her impression undecided

I guess she tried her best.
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 14, 2013
That's my darg, Chiwetel..

Sophie Okonedo, Caroline Chikezie, or Phina Oruche would have been a better choice for Thandie's role...

They grew up around Nigerian parents and shouldn't have any problem whatsoever with speaking the accent..
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 14, 2013
Why did they pick Thandie ? Shes a good actress and all but there are other actresses that could have done the job.
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 14, 2013
Chiamanda Adichie I rate you cool
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 14, 2013
I think Thandie tried from the little I heard. The character had a tinge of British/Igbo accent. Not bad. cool I don't know why I like seeing Chimamanda. cool
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 1:07am On Apr 14, 2013
^^^She doesn't sound British Igbo...

Chiwetel killed the accent like it's nothing.... grin

And how come you skipped what she said about nappy hair and straight hair?? Nah, you had to skip that because it's against your views, no?? tongue
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:48am On Apr 14, 2013
stillwater: I think Thandie tried from the little I heard. The character had a tinge of British/Igbo accent. Not bad. cool I don't know why I like seeing Chimamanda. cool

Me too. She reminds me of what African woman should look like and behave like. I wanna really meet her.
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 14, 2013
Lol@ nigerian and southafrican
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 15, 2013
shymexx: ^^^She doesn't sound British Igbo...

Chiwetel killed the accent like it's nothing.... grin

And how come you skipped what she said about nappy hair and straight hair?? Nah, you had to skip that because it's against your views, no?? tongue

I was actually talking about the character Thandie plays, Olanna. Thandie's accent kinda fit what was described in the book. She tried.

Funny enough my real hair is natural, straight out 'nappy' hehehe. cheesy Take that! cheesy My own hair is an accessory, something I can play with and have fun with in braids, conrows, wigs, weaves and natural depending on my mood. cool And no it's not against my views on hair. More and more black girls are going natural. But you have to understand that black hair is very versatile. Today I can be in afro, tomorrow straight hair. As far as I'm concerned it's fashion to me.
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
stillwater:
I was actually talking about the character Thandie plays, Olanna. Thandie's accent kinda fit what was described in the book. She tried.

Funny enough my real hair is natural, straight out 'nappy' hehehe. cheesy Take that! cheesy My own hair is an accessory, something I can play with and have fun with in braids, conrows, wigs, weaves and natural depending on my mood. cool And no it's not against my views on hair. More and more black girls are going natural. But you have to understand that black hair is very versatile. Today I can be in afro, tomorrow straight hair. As far as I'm concerned it's fashion to me.

Personally, I think Caroline Chikezie/Phina Oruche/Sophie Okonedo would have been more suited for the role, just as Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Boyega(young Denzel Washington look-alike)... The director, Niyi Bandele, is also a Nigerian British... There's nothing bad in making it an all Nigerian British affair... But hey, what do I know?

Erm... Tell me more about your nappy hair - I'm a su.cker for nappy-hair... tongue Perhaps, you lot also need to stop judging black men who are versatile with their nappy-hair... Today, I can get a fade-top, tomorrow cornrows, and next year you might see me with dreads like a rasta... It's all fashion as well - isn't it? tongue

Anyway, are you the one on your profile? wink

I like Chimamanda's Nigerian accent, it sounds effortless, natural, pretty cool and exotic... Make sure you speak that way as well... wink
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 16, 2013
ShyM-X:

Personally, I think Caroline Chikezie/Phina Oruche/Sophie Okonedo would have been more suited for the role, just as Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Boyega(young Denzel Washington look-alike)... The director, Niyi Bandele, is also a Nigerian British... There's nothing bad in making it an all Nigerian British affair... But hey, what do I know?

Erm... Tell me more about your nappy hair - I'm a su.cker for nappy-hair... tongue Perhaps, you lot also need to stop judging black men who are versatile with their nappy-hair... Today, I can get a fade-top, tomorrow cornrows, and next year you might see me with dreads like a rasta... It's all fashion as well - isn't it? tongue

Anyway, are you the one on your profile? wink

I like Chimamanda's Nigerian accent, it sounds effortless, natural, pretty cool and exotic... Make sure you speak that way as well... wink

I was surprised Thandie was chosen. But now I can't be bothered. I actually like Thandie.

Tehehehe I don't care that much for black men with hair. Just go bald. tongue tongue tongue tongue

No that's not me, but my sister. Just promoting her music!
Re: First Clip From 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newto by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 16, 2013
stillwater:
I was surprised Thandie was chosen. But now I can't be bothered. I actually like Thandie.

Tehehehe I don't care that much for black men with hair. Just go bald. tongue tongue tongue tongue

No that's not me, but my sister. Just promoting her music!

Erm..... Your sister looks pretty and eatable.... grin

Err... I might go bald if you're as flee as your sister - with extra jumk in the trunk...

Hmm.. Scrap that, I shall go bald to make you come back to naija men.. tongue tongue

Can you post a link to her music? I can get her on my record label - ShyM-X records... wink

(1) (Reply)

Are We Truly Ready To Develop And Unite Nigeria? By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi / Tinubu Installs Daughter As New Iyaloja Of Lagos / President Goodluck Jonathan And First Lady Visit China [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.