Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,205 members, 7,880,755 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:59 AM

On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? (27369 Views)

Getting Ready For Job Interview – How To Keep Calm / Interview!!!how Best Can Someone Answer The Question "May We Meet You" / What Exactly Is The Salary Of A Graduate In NIMC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by wonlasewonimi: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2013
coogar:

they cannot insist i give a figure....they know what the market rate is so why ask a trick question? hard line interviewer would only jam with a hard line job applicant! i always win.
Come on coogar..Nigeria is a different terrain. We have a lot doofus in that country who are psycho interviewers.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by moodswing(m): 5:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
This question is usually a ploy to generate an alibi on why you couldn't be offered the job if you ask for what is due you in terms of financial remuneration for your toil.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by linearity: 6:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
mariannlove: Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks

I am open to considering any salary package that is commensurate to my skill sets, experience and the company's salary guidelines for this position.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Finestlex(m): 6:30pm On Apr 15, 2013
Ibekwe7: Tell them what you have in mind,I went for an interview and I was asked this question and i told them that the coy shd ve a stipulated amount they pay for the post I applied for dat I wish to go with the amount,LO and BEHOLD I failed the interview,I met the Hr and he told me I failed cos of what I said,dat I look cheap. He advice me to always say the amount I want and boldly no matter how big the amount is .
. First degree CV is now common, every tom,joystick and harry has one.. Companies always look at what cv do you have that your co-job seekers don't *rating* Before you enrolled for the interview, you should know the kinda company you applied to for a job.. Number one quality of a good product is "price" a good product (finished good) should have a price... If you think you're good, don't be scared to name your price... Be bold to say 150k, 200k, 350k etc (depends on the company's worth and "your worth" ie packaging). The next question the interviewer would ask is, why do you think we should pay you what you named.. This is where the rating comes in.. Defend your quotation by Simply replying " because you've been trained and got certificates on ----- your CVs are the packaging of yourself (name the CVs you have) to be on the winning side "ensure you have at least 4CVs ie "bsc or HND and safety" compulsory.. You should be computer literate maybe niit (very necessary) and one other one (maybe nims, ican to show you're a professional) etc depending on your field.. Tell the interviewer that you're well trained and you're good at what you do and your efforts in the company will prolly maximise their profit.. If the interview time is 9am, be there by 8am.. Punctuality shows sign of seriousness.. Mode of dressing counts, boldness and being audible when you speak is necessary ie speak as if you're in control with (good English).. Relax yourself.. Don't be scared, nobody will beat you.. Have you done the course "Anger management" some interviewers can intentionally piss you off just to know if you can control your anger.. Smile always and be polite in your answering.. NB: the value of time is money.. If you're going for a job interview and you're not putting on a wrist watch, you've started failing already... Goodluck in your next interview..

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by aaliyaSA(f): 6:40pm On Apr 15, 2013
Before applying for a position try to establish the salary range. Nothing wrong with asking n saying that u would like to know as u would not like to waste their time or yours if the position pays less then what you expect. Do not ask fr an exact figure...ask for the range. If recruitment is done properly they would already knw what u currently earn (if u r already employed) and they would know that they cannot offer u less...not sure abt nigeria but generally they offer 15 percent more then ur current if they want u n will ensure tht the offer is worth ur while. So if they ask u what u expect u tell them what u currently earn n just say that the offer would have to be worth ur while in order to move. U could also throw the ball back in their court and ask well what r u offering. People looking for jobs forget that an employment contract is between two parties...u have every right to ask them what they r offering...obviously with tact.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Gooogle(m): 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
I saw this site recently while researchng this same issue. www.glassdoor.com
It shows company reviews,salaries for positions,company interview questions etc for various companies and a number
of Nigerian companies are listed. Though the data is inputed by the company staff, ex or current.
Check it, it can be useful.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by anitank(f): 8:10pm On Apr 15, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
Mba! there's nothin tricky dia. 4 d post of a driver, hold ur liver 4 hand tell dem it's gonna be 250k per month, if d "oga @ d top" by himself leave office com down 2 tell u 2 repeat ya sef, tell dem u meant, "in Ghanaian Cedis ". grin
abeg make unu helep me click "like" ya. grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by tgbaba(m): 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2013
yemmight: As HR professional, asking for candidates’ salary expectation has become component of recruitment processes. This tends to address issues of Company’s ability to pay intending candidates, improve salaries of existing employees.

If you are asked about salary expectation, its immature to answer with ‘company should pay me what you are paying my category’ this kind of response has demonstrated that such candidate has not placed any price on himself/herself.

Any structured organisation has a standard on how employees are remunerated based on work experiences, qualifications, year of graduation etc. My advices most times to people while conducting an interview have always been that please be very reasonable with your salary demands.

However, if a company finds you suitable for a particular job and your demand is way above what they are proposing, you may still be given an offer.

Let me correct this impression people do have. I have been involved in recruitment for over 13 years now. If you are found suitable and the company is keen in bringing you on board but you are asking well above what they intend paying you, they offer letter will still be presented to you. The decision to take up the jobs lies on you. And in some cases, companies do change your salaries and grades to enable them secure you.

Finally, don’t over price yourself and don’t under sell yourself. An instance of a very fresh graduate that came for an interview and i asked what his expectation was and he said N150,000. As HR professional, people like that i sit them down and lecture them how they should choose career path.

Are u tell us that 150k is too much for fresh graduate?
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by tgbaba(m): 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
fxtimi: I wouldnt even give a joker like you a mop job. Your sentence construction and spelling makes me wonder if you ever saw the fore walls of a secondary."i shul be bold enough to say a big amount cos my qually and experience worth my pay...i go squeeze faze fully bold call my price...after all i worth it...DON'T BE A BEGGER DURING INTERVIEW....BE ORIGINAL...DAT ONLY MEKS U EARN UR RESPECT".... Have you heard of the book Brighter Grammar? You need it ASAP

Oga ade park well FOUR not FORE walls
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Luvlaye(m): 11:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
This thread is really educating, we sincerely appreciate ur contributions
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by dabraska: 12:50am On Apr 16, 2013
I just had an interview two days ago and I was asked this question. Now note, I only had 2 years experience. I advice anyone that meets this question to always have one thing in mind; the employers have already made their decision. Always attach a price to yourself. The employers, in my case broke the 'salary structure' and are bombarding my phone with calls. I told them to give me 1 month but they want me to come on-board in a week. So always say an amount. If you're worth it, protocols and structures will be broken for your sake.

1 Like

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Fantacy1(m): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2013
An uncle of mine who is now a big shot in one of d oil companies and my traditional prime minister once told me hw he lost his 1st appointment with TOTAL simply cuz he had not fixed his price(having passed d interview and aptitude test). The white man denied him d job on d basis dat he dsnt knw his worth. This was my responce 2 such question and i bliv it cud help: AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN GRADUATE SHUD BE ENTITLED 2 @LEAST $1000(#150,000) PER MONTH, BUT WITH MY ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS AND MY WORK EXPERIENCE, I CAN SETLE 4 (NAME A PRICE A LITLE ABOVE AVERAGE). Dis must be saAID in a serious but friendly maner
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 16, 2013
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by badrogen(m): 11:09am On Apr 16, 2013
Pls according to dis question. I wanna ask, how much do u think they can pay HND holder working in a construction coy? Pls its urgent.
mariannlove: Hw Do I Answer This Questn In An Interview:hw Much Wld You Like To Be Paid?

pls nairalanders help me out. Your contribution wil be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by yemmight(m): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
tgbaba:

Are u tell us that 150k is too much for fresh graduate?

We have diferent Sectors. Telecoms, Oil & Gas, Banking, Public, Manafacturing etc. Out of all these, you barely see any that can pay be a fresh 150k. May be Oil & Gas or Banking and reality is that Banking also not doing much unlike before. If you go to a small scale business organisation and you are asking for N150k as a fresher, that's ridiculous.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by princenat(m): 2:57pm On Apr 16, 2013
A friend of mine wants to know how much AGIP pays for entry level. Any one with ideas?
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by wonlasewonimi: 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2013
princenat: A friend of mine wants to know how much AGIP pays for entry level. Any one with ideas?

Tell him to ask when next he goes to buy kerosene there.

2 Likes

Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by ifejilikja(m): 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2013
anitank: Even with the big big grammer, none of you have answered the question ooo.

Can't blame anyone though, this question is a very tricky one and no single person can give a specific answer
wat are you waiting for to answer it
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by fpeter(f): 3:34pm On Apr 16, 2013
Let us be realistic, this is one of the trickiest questions interviewers ask candidates, where are the HR people on NL? give us the best PROFESSIONAL answers to this question. Experience has taught me not to be too forward with figures during interviews, it may be your undoing. My current job is an eye opener, always bargain well and insist on a fair remuneration.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by scobaba: 5:20pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ibekwe7: Tell them what you have in mind,I went for an interview and I was asked this question and i told them that the coy shd ve a stipulated amount they pay for the post I applied for dat I wish to go with the amount,LO and BEHOLD I failed the interview,I met the Hr and he told me I failed cos of what I said,dat I look cheap. He advice me to always say the amount I want and boldly no matter how big the amount is .

Oga ibekwe, dats not the reason y u failed pls. The H.R guy just wanted you to feel good with yourself.

Dat answer is one of the best u can give during an interview.

A pal who worked with KPMG was on 6m per annum, he went for an interview with TOTAL oil for the post of JV Accountant. He gave dem ds same answer u did and he got the job, his per annum?....wait for it...17m per annum.

Most multinationals have a set amount for a particular position, oncee you meet other requirement, no matter how much you were earning, d job is urs.

Abi na my childhoo neighbour justin dat went from 50k/per month cyber cafe manager to 450k/per month system operator with schlumberger.
Re: On Interview, How Do I Answer The Salary Question? by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 21, 2013
I stand corrected on the typo I made. It still doesn't change the fact that I can't employ someone who can't speak or write proper. English. It is obvious that your friend was poorly educated and I don't see why he should even be in a position to argue about salaries and emolument. Its those kind of people that aspire to work in blue chip companies but do not have or endeavor to have the right skill set needed.
tgbaba:

Oga ade park well FOUR not FORE walls

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online / Should I Drop First Bank Contract Staff For Orange Group? / Nigerian Army Recruitment: WAEC/NECO Results From 2008 Downward Is Expired?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.